Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

52 minutes ago, alienarea said:

I don't know nothing but hope for something like this:

Winterfell is about to be overrun from the army of the dead, and thhe lastsurviving heroes retreat into the crypts. When all seems lost Jon or Arya (torn who should do it) lose their sword fighting the Night King and grab one of the old Stark swords as a last defense. By chance it's Ice (the legendary Stark sword) and it kills the Night King and his army dies with him.

Ice doesn't exist anymore

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

It would be a reasonable take away that something important is in or happens in the crypts, I know it all could mean nothing, as the show often does things that lead nowhere, but it would be somewhat grounded speculation to think that maybe there has been something to the idea of the crypts being a plot point somehow.

In the books, Jon has the vision of the Old Kings of Winter coming out of their tombs--not unlike Aragorn's collecting the Oathbreakers to fight for him. If it's the Old Kings of Winter, Jon would have the dead to fight the undead.

If would be a weird, fast turn around to do this in the show (the books have laid groundwork--the show hasn't). But the show has made fast, improbably turns before. So, who knows?

Just finished watching brief BBC interview with Kit from today. He reported some “grief that its over” and stated it was tough going around knowing the ending but not being able to say anything about it. He compared his feelings to just completing a good book and being a little sad that it was over. In line with this view he stated he was therefore “not happy, but very satisfied” about the show physically ending for him.  Regarding the actual specific end game of the show he stated “Hopefully it will change TV again like it did originally, and break boundaries. I think it did”. He also has the statute from the teaser just out and may turn it into a water fixture in the future (said this kind of jokingly).

From his last quote it does sound like the ending may be somewhat unique and creative. I really hope so. But who knows. We shall see.

"Aegon and his sisters" 2.0?

Finally watched the teaser and to me the potential foreshadowing for this was there. Especially the power pose they put the 3 of them in at the end, which coincidentally (or not) was the still-shot HBO used for the teaser thumbnail too.

1 hour ago, DisneyDoc2425 said:

Just finished watching brief BBC interview with Kit from today. He reported some “grief that its over” and stated it was tough going around knowing the ending but not being able to say anything about it. He compared his feelings to just completing a good book and being a little sad that it was over. In line with this view he stated he was therefore “not happy, but very satisfied” about the show physically ending for him.  Regarding the actual specific end game of the show he stated “Hopefully it will change TV again like it did originally, and break boundaries. I think it did”. He also has the statute from the teaser just out and may turn it into a water fixture in the future (said this kind of jokingly).

From his last quote it does sound like the ending may be somewhat unique and creative. I really hope so. But who knows. We shall see.

Break boundaries.  Hmm. That can mean killing off again another fan favorite, it could mean a crazy Sopranos type ending, or ? I don't know what else.

On 1/13/2019 at 7:05 PM, Cas Stark said:

Why would the 'lasting flavor' 'fuck her up' unless it's bad or depressing somehow?  She doesn't spell it out, but I have a hard time reading that quote and not seeing it as her saying that 'lasting flavor' is negative.

She gets eaten and doesn't taste very good, leaving a bad taste in someone's mouth, clearly 

On 1/14/2019 at 8:56 AM, Ser Gareth said:

What do you make of Jon's statue seemingly being older?  Do you think that was intentional or just a bad statue?

If he outlives the story then it completely blows my theory away that when the Others are finally defeated and the Dragons die all magic goes out of the world and re-animated Jon drops down dead as a result!

That's my working theory too. Magic dies and the age of man begins. 

What's odd is why they have them in the first place. It would seem that the statues were made in anticipation of their deaths, so if Jon's is older than the other two, does it indicate a belief that he lives at the cost of Arya and Sansa or merely vanity to be captured in their youthful state?

21 hours ago, Battle Kitten said:

That's my working theory too. Magic dies and the age of man begins.

I have quite the opposite theory:)

The main problem I have with the whole GRRM's Westeros history is: Whatever death price you pay at some point to get peace and a good wise king, shortly after, next generation or two, you end up with a weak or cruel or half-mad king (if not all together like Joffrey). Or you have to face up with a rebellion of some previously defeated houses. And Westeros (and Essos) butcher's bill lastly is pretty horrific.

In normal situation, I would say: It's life. GRRM's story is full of this shit. And GRRM write realistic stories. Really?

In fact, I don't think GRRM intends this shit. It is not in the show, but he gives us a legend of a Golden Age of Dawn, when, supposedly, the realm of men was governed by an emperor issued from the gods. And this immortal emperor kept the golden age for millenniums (until he left). Some people imagine GRRM will change the monarchic system for something more like a democracy. I don't think we will see elections. (even if the NW elects its LC). But I believe the story must "break the wheel" some way.

So I feel a satisfactory payback to all these millenniums of horror since the last LN should be a lasting peace. And Jon, having already died (what is dead may never die ...). And as the Prince Promised, is as close as you can get of gods endorsement. In fact it's the only sense I see of killing one character to restore him after (instead of just wounding him).

On 14 January 2019 at 3:05 AM, Cas Stark said:

Why would the 'lasting flavor' 'fuck her up' unless it's bad or depressing somehow?  She doesn't spell it out, but I have a hard time reading that quote and not seeing it as her saying that 'lasting flavor' is negative.

I see it that way.  I think she does something awful by the end.  But then I do view her story as being a journey from sympathetic heroine to cruel and paranoid tyrant.

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

But then I do view her story as being a journey from sympathetic heroine to cruel and paranoid tyrant.

It's something happening quite a lot in ASoIaF. You get a first judgment of a character. Then you have to revise it. Because one changes with what happened to him: Theon, Sansa, Arya. Or you made wrong assessments: Jaime is like Cersei, the Hound is like the other Lannisters' brutes. Or you were deceived: show Ellaria, LF if you were naive. Or one does not stop where he should: Stannis, Theon again. Or the mind suddenly breaks at some level of frustration... Sometime the journey is from bad to good, sometime the opposite.

16 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

It's something happening quite a lot in ASoIaF. You get a first judgment of a character. Then you have to revise it. Because one changes with what happened to him: Theon, Sansa, Arya. Or you made wrong assessments: Jaime is like Cersei, the Hound is like the other Lannisters' brutes. Or you were deceived: show Ellaria, LF if you were naive. Or one does not stop where he should: Stannis, Theon again. Or the mind suddenly breaks at some level of frustration... Sometime the journey is from bad to good, sometime the opposite.

Yes, that's quite true.  It's handled very deftly in the books, less so in the series, where shifts in character can be quite abrupt (eg Ellaria, or Shae).

Daenerys, IMHO, is much less sympathetic in the series (from about Season 4 onwards) than in the books. Her instinctive reaction to opposition is to burn it, although Tyrion can sometimes talk her out of it.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Yes, that's quite true.  It's handled very deftly in the books, less so in the series, where shifts in character can be quite abrupt (eg Ellaria, or Shae).

Daenerys, IMHO, is much less sympathetic in the series (from about Season 4 onwards) than in the books. Her instinctive reaction to opposition is to burn it, although Tyrion can sometimes talk her out of it.

IMO these abrupt changes of characters are mostly due to the heavy cuts from the books, or to the careless deviations from GRRM's story. Maybe Ellaria will become a monster, but she will have a motive (e.g. the death of her younger daughters, who could not have much other purpose).

In the books Daenerys has still plenty of time to evolve. But IMO, returning to Westeros with an army of slave eunuch, a horde Dothrakis barbarians (I doubt they will be that tame), a float of Ironborn reapers, a few bad repute sellswords companies, and some red priests. In a land now plagued by Seven's zealots... And probably to have to contend with the more or less pious, popular and legitimate son and heir of Rhaegar (cheering the cloth dragon) ... Maybe not all these good folks will come with her. But good luck to her anyway.

In the one official footage of Season 8, we see Jon and Dany arriving at WF. In the background we see Brienne. How was it possible for Brienne to beat them there? Jon and Dany traveled by boat, Brienne presumably by horseback. If Brienne is there, shouldn't Jamie be there as well? 

The season 8 teaser makes a lot of sense (exception being the statues) if it (or something like it) where to occur shortly after Jon learns of his true parentage. 

1 hour ago, Error-504 said:

In the one official footage of Season 8, we see Jon and Dany arriving at WF. In the background we see Brienne. How was it possible for Brienne to beat them there? Jon and Dany traveled by boat, Brienne presumably by horseback. If Brienne is there, shouldn't Jamie be there as well?

Jaime only left KL when he understood Cersei didn't intend to send help to the Nord. He should definitely not be there yet. But Brienne... Either she has a FAST:lol:  horse. Or we have to assume she traveled with Jon. because she is his sister bodyguard.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:16 PM, alienarea said:

What was split was a replica, the original is missing a long time.

Er no? I think you're getting that confused with one of the other Valaryian swords as Ice was melted down by Tywin to make swords for Joffrey and Jaime

Archived