Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

5 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I agree, Euron must be really important in the end game but then again, he is the kind of guy the Dudebros love, like Ramsay, raping, murdering, backstabbing monster. They cut Arianne but kept Euron. It figures.

He seems nothing in the show, no more than the Sand Snakes. They introduced him late and he seems just a Ramsey No 2. If he becomes now something like he is in the books, it would make no sense IMO.

They butchered Dorne and Doran and Ellaria and the SS. Better Arianne was left out.

10 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

He seems nothing in the show, no more than the Sand Snakes. They introduced him late and he seems just a Ramsey No 2. If he becomes now something like he is in the books, it would make no sense IMO.

They butchered Dorne and Doran and Ellaria and the SS. Better Arianne was left out.

He's there for a reason, or why cast him at all?  The show already has plenty of main characters, so I have to stick with my feeling that he's important to the end game somehow or he does something in the books that is important and couldn't reasonably be pawned off on another character.

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He's there for a reason, or why cast him at all?  The show already has plenty of main characters, so I have to stick with my feeling that he's important to the end game somehow or he does something in the books that is important and couldn't reasonably be pawned off on another character.

Certainly. But I feel I will be disappointed by the show on his account.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Not every character needs to be a major player. Show Euron is filling in the role of secondary antagonist, and I have no problem with that. Martin is the one who’s trying to turn him into a primary antagonist, and is failing miserably, imo.

1 hour ago, Dragon in the North said:

Why wouldn’t they? Arianne doesn’t do anything.

I would say Arianne is there to build an alliance between Dorne and fake Aegon. But as he is not in the show, she has little purpose left. No more than Dorne. No more than the home country of Oberyn.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:14 PM, BalerionTheCat said:

I would say Arianne is there to build an alliance between Dorne and fake Aegon. But as he is not in the show, she has little purpose left. No more than Dorne. No more than the home country of Oberyn.

Which is something that could easily be achieved off page.  We didn't need a Dorne POV in the books and we definitely didn't need one in the show.

On 1/22/2019 at 11:24 PM, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think Arianne and Ellaria are too nuanced for TV so they turned Ellaria into a Sand Snake. I do think Doran will get murdered by one so there's something to that.

I think the complete opposite.  One thing that really really really annoys me about so many shows and movies is when you have the parent(s) and their teenage brat dynamic.  The parents won't tell the brat what is going on, usually with good reason, and the brat sulks and does stupid things because "they're old enough to be trusted and their parents don't understand".  That's basically Arianne.  She's a walking TV cliche.

And Ellaria is merely a "turn the other cheek" character who is grieving.  Hardly nuanced.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:00 PM, Cas Stark said:

I agree.  I think D&D have used a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but what I think they've done is clear the decks so that the final season will primarily feature most of the same antagonists as the books.  A few of the minor players will be swapped around, mainly because they'll be fulfilling the roles of other characters, but generally the chess board is now set for the end game that GRRM told them about.  Euron must feature in that end game somehow.

20 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

One thing that really really really annoys me about so many shows and movies is when you have the parent(s) and their teenage brat dynamic.  The parents won't tell the brat what is going on, usually with good reason, and the brat sulks and does stupid things because "they're old enough to be trusted and their parents don't understand".  That's basically Arianne.  She's a walking TV cliche.

I totally agree !

28 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I think the complete opposite.  One thing that really really really annoys me about so many shows and movies is when you have the parent(s) and their teenage brat dynamic.  The parents won't tell the brat what is going on, usually with good reason, and the brat sulks and does stupid things because "they're old enough to be trusted and their parents don't understand".  That's basically Arianne.  She's a walking TV cliche.

And Ellaria is merely a "turn the other cheek" character who is grieving.  Hardly nuanced.

Well sure, there is that cliche going on with her, but she's nuanced because she has foils/parallels  to other characters is what I mean. She's the key to Dorne like Sansa is the key to the North, her father is a Littlefinger if he took zero risks, she's jealous of her brother's position but acts without knowledge just like Jon Snow, she attempts to start a war between brother and sister like a second Dance. I think the Sand Snakes are caricatures. Spice girls in Westeros. Ellaria has a lesson about the cycle of revenge that the show wasn't interested in exploring. I mean D&D did say that "Needle is a symbol of revenge" and GRRM argued against leaving out Stoneheart. So far there hasn't been any moderate voice in the show to articulate why revenge isn't the best motive.

A couple of thoughts about all these leaks I have read on the Internet (not all of them are reported on this thread, far from it):

- There are too many of them to make any sense IMO, especially from insiders, (extras, actors, SFX team...). I suspect a kind of a huge deception (and buzzing) operation carried out by HBO, including fake overt filming set-ups and not so involuntary let outs.

- Regarding the absence of both Dany and Jon during the filming of a Trial / Great Council in Sevilla : if this scene is real, maybe Dany or Jon or both are attending it, but sitting on a dragon? They would have filmed it in Belfast then, in front of a green screen. "Dracarys"?

1 hour ago, Jô Maltese said:

A couple of thoughts about all these leaks I have read on the Internet (not all of them are reported on this thread, far from it):

- There are too many of them to make any sense IMO, especially from insiders, (extras, actors, SFX team...). I suspect a kind of a huge deception (and buzzing) operation carried out by HBO, including fake overt filming set-ups and not so involuntary let outs.

- Regarding the absence of both Dany and Jon during the filming of a Trial / Great Council in Sevilla : if this scene is real, maybe Dany or Jon or both are attending it, but sitting on a dragon? They would have filmed it in Belfast then, in front of a green screen. "Dracarys"?

Not that I put stock in much of that, but I have to admit, the known and unknown Targs on dragons doing a "Dracarys" on a certain someone would make a few people I know pretty happy, LOL  It is an interesting picture you've painted, err.......green screened.  

7 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Not that I put stock in much of that, but I have to admit, the known and unknown Targs on dragons doing a "Dracarys" on a certain someone would make a few people I know pretty happy, LOL  It is an interesting picture you've painted, err.......green screened.  

You've basically summed up my thoughts perfectly here.......bravo!

On 1/19/2019 at 3:19 AM, Ser Gareth said:

I hate book Euron.  Awful cartoon cut out style character.  I have no idea what GRRM was thinking, and I really hope after being introduced so late in the day that he doesn't become a major player.  Sooner he exits from the story the better.

It's not late in the game. He's set up by ASOS when Robb gets the news that Euron has appeared at the Iron Islands to claim the crown and he physically appears in AFFC. 

Euron is important because he builds Bran's (and Dany's) story up. You don't actually need him there but his way of doing things is to contrast with how Bran does things. 

He is Bran's inverted image. 

Euron will try to become a god and fail versus Bran becoming a god and succeeding. It's why he's a psychopath in order to show how Bran's empathy is what leads him to succeed.

On 1/18/2019 at 12:22 PM, BalerionTheCat said:

Did you read my earlier post ?

"The bleeding star...": This is referring to Euron. Book Euron. Not to confuse with his derisory show version. This one is seeking godhood. And I would say he knows his business.

The Forsaken, TWOW:

Hide contents

Aeron Damphair looked. The mound of skulls was gone. Now it was metal underneath the Crow’s Eye: a great, tall, twisted seat of razor sharp iron, barbs and blades and broken swords, all dripping blood.

Impaled upon the longer spikes were the bodies of the gods. The Maiden was there and the Father and the Mother, the Warrior and Crone and Smith...even the Stranger. They hung side by side with all manner of queer foreign gods: the Great Shepherd and the Black Goat, three-headed Trios and the Pale Child Bakkalon, the Lord of Light and the butterfly god of Naath.

And there, swollen and green, half­-devoured by crabs, the Drowned God festered with the rest, seawater still dripping from his hair.

When I read that, it increased my confidence the higher prize is more than the Iron Throne.

All the gods are there being slain. Dream! Euron is making the announcement that not only is he the only king of Westeros but that his ascenscion will make him the only god of the land as well and that he will remake the world.

A god-king.

Basically he thinks Bran(and perhaps Jon's)destiny is his.

He's going to ride a dragon and marry Daenerys (Jon) and become a god(Bran) and king. Or so he thinks.

He's self-deluded versus Stannis who has been deluded by Melisandre. They each think they're figures that they aren't.

Archived