Season 8: News, Spoilers And Leaks

AEJON TARGARYEN

On 10/12/2018 at 6:23 PM, alienarea said:

Didn't Maisie post her bloody sneakers tagged #lastwomanstanding ?

Yup! 

Maise's Farewell Post

Plus Lena calling her Queen (the Waif actress saying the same thing ;) under Maisie's #lastwomanstanding post. Even Kit wrapped days before her so whatever she was filming it was most likely at the KL set which saw a lot of activity at the end. 

About 2 weeks prior, we had a sighting of this carriage role up at one of the last filming locations:

Carriage

What???

Also new Maisie interview came out the other day!

Maisie: "There were people crying because of what happens in this series (reading S8 scripts). I guess you aren't suppose to see it coming if your character is going to leave. - Despite it being the hardest season I've ever shot, it was just really wonderful and the perfect way to go out."

Interview was done shortly after wrapping S8 in July.

Some excerpts from the Oct 2018 issue of Heroine Magazine:

Alex: When you got the final script, what were your thoughts and emotions when reading it? Did it meet your expectations?

Maisie: I mean, the boys (D&D) are great they're incredible at what they do and I am so pleased with the story. I think the ending has just the right amount of sweet and bitter. There's a lot of pressure on the finale but I think the boys have always known how they've wanted it to end, so they've been working towards that rather than making it up as they go along. -- Making it to the final season was all I ever wanted. It's been really wonderful growing up with Arya and not have that story cut short because it means my story hasn't been either. It' has been really special to be able to grow her as well as myself, going through that same transition as a young woman in this world and how the things you think of being the be-all and end-all of existence shifts so much and you find a new way of handling life. 

On 10/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, Newstar said:

Sophie did a Q&A at New York Comicon last Saturday. A Sansa fan (Naughtysansa) was in attendance and live tweeted the event, and, since reporters were in attendance, a number of articles were published regarding Sophie's comments from the event, more or less reflecting what Naughtysansa had posted on Twitter during the event, with one very big exception:

Naughtysansa tweeted that Sophie said that "Sansa will have a statue at the end of GOT." According to Naughtysansa's Tumblr recap, Sophie mentioned the statue in the context of talking about which memento she took home from the set. She wanted to take the statue but it would be too difficult to ship home, and she wanted to take the "needle" necklace but it was going to be used in an exhibit for the show so she couldn't, so she settled on a corset instead. Sophie also said that the statue bore an incredible likeness to her.

Sophie said after making the statue comment that she didn't consider it a spoiler and that it wasn't affecting anything significant, but according to Naughtysansa she was talking very quickly when she was saying this. Hmm.

So various media articles were published which covered Sophie's other comments: the storyboard she got as a gift, smoking weed with Maisie, her feelings about the end of the show, Kit and Maisie keeping the swords as mementos, etc. A few mentioned the corset. One even mentioned the needle necklace that Sophie wanted to keep. None of the media articles--and we're talking half a dozen or more--mentioned the statue, even the article which had as a subject which prop Sophie took home from the set.

It would be one thing if we knew there was an 50 year timejump for the epilogue, but according to /BoatsexBaby, this isn't the case. (There is an epilogue set some time in the future, but not 50 years.) Sophie also said the statue bore an incredible likeness to her, meaning it's not a statue of old Sansa.

The only statues of Starks on the show are dead Starks, and the only reason not a single media outlet would mention the statue, despite reporting Sophie's other comments, is that HBO asked them not to, which means the fact that Sansa gets a statue at the end is a huge fucking spoiler.

Sansa dies.

(And Friki's wrong, BTW, since according to him a live Sansa is in attendance at Tyrion's postwar trial, but that "leak" was always full of holes.)

Can you go into detail on why you are suspicious of Friki's latest leaks?

On 10/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, Newstar said:

Sophie did a Q&A at New York Comicon last Saturday. A Sansa fan (Naughtysansa) was in attendance and live tweeted the event, and, since reporters were in attendance, a number of articles were published regarding Sophie's comments from the event, more or less reflecting what Naughtysansa had posted on Twitter during the event, with one very big exception:

Naughtysansa tweeted that Sophie said that "Sansa will have a statue at the end of GOT." According to Naughtysansa's Tumblr recap, Sophie mentioned the statue in the context of talking about which memento she took home from the set. She wanted to take the statue but it would be too difficult to ship home, and she wanted to take the "needle" necklace but it was going to be used in an exhibit for the show so she couldn't, so she settled on a corset instead. Sophie also said that the statue bore an incredible likeness to her.

Sophie said after making the statue comment that she didn't consider it a spoiler and that it wasn't affecting anything significant, but according to Naughtysansa she was talking very quickly when she was saying this. Hmm.

So various media articles were published which covered Sophie's other comments: the storyboard she got as a gift, smoking weed with Maisie, her feelings about the end of the show, Kit and Maisie keeping the swords as mementos, etc. A few mentioned the corset. One even mentioned the needle necklace that Sophie wanted to keep. None of the media articles--and we're talking half a dozen or more--mentioned the statue, even the article which had as a subject which prop Sophie took home from the set.

It would be one thing if we knew there was an 50 year timejump for the epilogue, but according to /BoatsexBaby, this isn't the case. (There is an epilogue set some time in the future, but not 50 years.) Sophie also said the statue bore an incredible likeness to her, meaning it's not a statue of old Sansa.

The only statues of Starks on the show are dead Starks, and the only reason not a single media outlet would mention the statue, despite reporting Sophie's other comments, is that HBO asked them not to, which means the fact that Sansa gets a statue at the end is a huge fucking spoiler.

Sansa dies.

(And Friki's wrong, BTW, since according to him a live Sansa is in attendance at Tyrion's postwar trial, but that "leak" was always full of holes.)

to quote the Hoosiers, there’s a hole in your logic. Or, several. Let’s break it down

Sophie made some remarks at NYCC regarding the show. (Undisputed)

A fan who was in attendance tweeted about them (undisputed)

This fan tweeted about sophie’s statue comment (undisputed)

this tweet was accurate (disputed since no one else reported it. For the sake of argument though, let’s assume it’s true)

no other media outlets reported it (undisputed)

The only possible reason for this is because HBO got to them and told them not to (disputed, there could be any number of reasons why it hasn’t been reported, not limited to innacuracy from the tweeter. HBO might be good at mopping up leaks but thinking they are capable of conspiring with every media outlet out there to stop spoilers is...well tin-foily at best)

The only reason this statue thing would constitute a spoiler is because it means Sansa dies (disputed. Heavily. The statue could have been created for any number of reasons and it takes quite a lot of logic leaping for a fan to say “hey, she had a statue, she must die in the end!” So to start with it doesn’t even make sense HBO would take real issue with the statement because it’s not even really a spoiler.)

so I have to think this idea was more than a little influenced by your own thoughts on where’s Sansa should end up. Haven’t you been predicting her death for about 3 seasons now?

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

this tweet was accurate (disputed since no one else reported it. For the sake of argument though, let’s assume it’s true)

I know the girl who tweeted this and she is a huge Sansa fan, she was front row for the event. She also confirmed the stuff about the corset and wanting the necklace and Kit & Maisie keeping their swords...etc before other media agency reported it. So you can go ahead and assume accurately that it is indeed true. 

3 minutes ago, a black swan said:

I know the girl who tweeted this and she is a huge Sansa fan, she was front row for the event. She also confirmed the stuff about the corset and wanting the necklace and Kit & Maisie keeping their swords...etc before other media agency reported it. So you can go ahead and assume accurately that it is indeed true. 

Great. But it wasn’t worth pointing out, for those of us who don’t know this person, that the claim was not strongly supported.

Not that it’s important of course, the logic leaps to go from “there’s a statue” to “Sansa dies” are pretty substantial

5 minutes ago, Timm said:

Is there any precedence for any Starks getting a statue before they are dead?

(She still could of course, but if it's happened before, that would be a gig hole in the theory)

I think people on other forums have asked and the answers is No.  In fact, the only other living character that ever got a statue made was Joffery because he was a pompous egomaniac. Everyone else was dead before they got a statue. 

New interview with the Guardian UK

Maisie describes the last scene she filmed when she wrapped in July:

She will say, however, that her final scene was “beautiful. I ended on the perfect scene. I was alone – shocker! Arya’s always bloody alone. But I was alone and I had watched a lot of other people wrap. I knew the drill, I had seen the tears and heard the speeches.” How was her own speech? “It wasn’t something I planned, but in that moment I realised what the show meant to me.” She went off to her trailer for a little while, to be alone, then they went for a fancy meal. “And drank a lot of sake.”

“I got to the end and I didn’t want more. I had exhausted every possible piece of Arya. And this season was quite big for me. I had a lot more to do.” 

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/oct/17/game-of-thrones-maisie-williams-interview-marvel

If you actually hear that interview, Sophie goes on about how all of them got statues to promote the season, hence why Sansa got one. Nothing to see here. 

I don't even bother anymore because every year @Newstar makes a comment about how Sansa will die. In season 6 it was because it was "Poetic", season 7 it was "The huge death of the season". 

At this point, this late in the game, it's just sad to expect a character's death so much. 

"So, we did this promo for this season... I'm not sure I'm supposed to say this, actually...  But It's like this big statue of like, me, of Sansa (...) But they wouldn't ship it from Belfast to New York, so it was impossible." 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, Timm said:

I think Dany will go full Mad King crazy when the White Walkers get to Kings Landing and she will just burn everything and everyone.

I don't see her ever going crazy.  Cold severity is more her style.  If she does order the burning of Kings Landing (and Emilia Clarke's comment does imply that she will do something horrible) then it will be for some more strategic purpose.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, SeanF said:

I don't see her ever going crazy.  Cold severity is more her style.  If she does order the burning of Kings Landing (and Emilia Clarke's comment does imply that she will do something horrible) then it will be for some more strategic purpose.

Yes, you are probably right about the motivation. I was more thinking about the action of ordering "burn them all".

Frikidoctor and Javi did a video where Javi revealed his spoiler finally.  Link

The video is in Spanish, This comment seems to translate it pretty thoroughly:  Link.

The spoiler is that Peter's last scene that he filmed (not Tyrion's last scene) is one where he walked through the streets of KL with Jon and Davos after it has been burned and there are corpses everywhere. 

Javi also confirmed Friki's spoiler that Tyrion is on trial in the Dragonpit (his sources say the same). 

The Jon/Tyrion/Davos scene is before Tyrion's trial.  Javi says Tyrion is responsible for all the dead bodies in KL, and that is why he's on trial.   The people of KL wanted to get out of the city, but they could not.  Tyrion's motive was to stop them from becoming wights.  

There are no wight corpses inside the capital.  Which I guess means the WWs don't actually get inside KL? 

And we can infer from the Jon/Tyrion/Davos scene that Jon survives the KL battle.    

There are other points from the vid, but as usual the Friki vid has both spoilers and speculation in it, so it's unclear what else is meant to be a spoiler in the vid. 

11 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

Frikidoctor and Javi did a video where Javi revealed his spoiler finally.  Link

The video is in Spanish, This comment seems to translate it pretty thoroughly:  Link.

The spoiler is that Peter's last scene that he filmed (not Tyrion's last scene) is one where he walked through the streets of KL with Jon and Davos after it has been burned and there are corpses everywhere. 

Javi also confirmed Friki's spoiler that Tyrion is on trial in the Dragonpit (his sources say the same). 

The Jon/Tyrion/Davos scene is before Tyrion's trial.  Javi says Tyrion is responsible for all the dead bodies in KL, and that is why he's on trial.   The people of KL wanted to get out of the city, but they could not.  Tyrion's motive was to stop them from becoming wights.  

There are no wight corpses inside the capital.  Which I guess means the WWs don't actually get inside KL? 

And we can infer from the Jon/Tyrion/Davos scene that Jon survives the KL battle.    

There are other points from the vid, but as usual the Friki vid has both spoilers and speculation in it, so it's unclear what else is meant to be a spoiler in the vid. 

Also interesting that Javi calls Jon King multiple times. 

But overall, i think Tyrion’s crime being keeping the population in the city even though they end up burning is interesting. 

Would make sense if his failures in season 7 lead him to decide he needs to be much more ruthless and that decision cements a tragic arc for his character. 

1 hour ago, jcmontea said:

Also interesting that Javi calls Jon King multiple times. 

But overall, i think Tyrion’s crime being keeping the population in the city even though they end up burning is interesting. 

Would make sense if his failures in season 7 lead him to decide he needs to be much more ruthless and that decision cements a tragic arc for his character. 

It brought to my mind Quenton Hightower from the books.  Hightower closed the gates of Oldtown when the grey plague was spreading and burned every ship, and afterwards the people killed him for it.  Pycelle says his actions are what stopped the plague from spreading though.  He said Hightower was a man who would do what was necessary, like Tywin.

If the choice is between killing the people of KL, or letting them join the AOTD, I could totally see Tyrion doing the Tywin thing in that situation...book Tyrion, anyway.  

As usual, I don't know what the hell D&D have been doing with show Tyrion.  They knew the whole time he was ending this way, and still chose to whitewash the shit out of him.  

4 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

If the choice is between killing the people of KL, or letting them join the AOTD, I could totally see Tyrion doing the Tywin thing in that situation...book Tyrion, anyway.  

I still fail to see why this is treason ... war crime, mass murder? likely; but treason? Unless Jon or Dany ordered him otherwise and he purposely disobeyed.

3 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

I still fail to see why this is treason ... war crime, mass murder? likely; but treason? Unless Jon or Dany ordered him otherwise and he purposely disobeyed.

I can imagine a situation with Tyrion suggesting burning KL as the last option and Daenerys/Jon forbidding this, promising to deal with the NK before. 

They do, but a little too late. Tyrion  assumed they failed and does what he thinks is best.

4 hours ago, alienarea said:

I can imagine a situation with Tyrion suggesting burning KL as the last option and Daenerys/Jon forbidding this, promising to deal with the NK before. 

They do, but a little too late. Tyrion  assumed they failed and does what he thinks is best.

Posibly, but may be there is more to it. I rewatched Friki/Javi vid and they clearly say that the dead Kings Landing's population may be "one of the things" for which Tyrion is on trial, so they think there might be other things too.

At the beginning of their vid, in the "speculation" part, they talked about an article Javi wrote recently concerning all the people who know the end of the story, and they touch the topic of this thread . They remembered  that George's editor Anne Groell said that Daniel Abraham knows Tyrion's endgame, They think that the famous line of book 1 that Daniel Abraham had left out and later had to include at George's instructions, related to Tyrion's endgame, may very well be the same line Friki's sources told him it was recalled by Bran's testimony in Tyrion's trial, that is "I never bet against my family". Can anyone here confirm that this line is actually included in the graphic novel? I did not read it.

19 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

It brought to my mind Quenton Hightower from the books.  Hightower closed the gates of Oldtown when the grey plague was spreading and burned every ship, and afterwards the people killed him for it.  Pycelle says his actions are what stopped the plague from spreading though.  He said Hightower was a man who would do what was necessary, like Tywin.

As usual, I don't know what the hell D&D have been doing with show Tyrion.  They knew the whole time he was ending this way, and still chose to whitewash the shit out of him.  

Well, D&D had Tyrion fail pretty spectacularly in Season 7 by trying to do the noble thing and eschew fear based politics. 

Would make sense for him to respond to those failures by deciding he needed to be more like his old man. 

Archived