u.s. politics: now guaranteed to contain no less than 35% u.s. political content

all swedes are racist

On 9/30/2017 at 4:52 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, it always struck me as an odd place. My mother and grandma used to take my brother and I over to Sausalito a few times a year, usually for a fancy brunch at some hoity-toity restaurant out on the water. It's this ultra-liberal bastion, but all you see is white folks. Lot of ex-hippies tooling around in high end luxury cars. Quite possibly the whitest town in the Bay Area. 

/And seconded regarding the Dead Kennedys. The greatest Bay Area Punk Band ever, and arguably among the best Punk acts of all time. 

That song is a nasty glorious righteous screed at privatization and it's effect on the environment; and how it's not just the right who does it.

8 minutes ago, BloodRider said:

That song is a nasty glorious righteous screed at privatization and it's effect on the environment; and how it's not just the right who does it.

Listened to a fuckton of Jello Biafra's spoken word stuff over the weekend. You Tube is a veritable treasure trove of his speaking gigs. Entertaining and educating. I wonder if he has a podcast? I should research that. He's not a very good interview, but his prepared speech's are amazing. 

6 hours ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

No one is debating the incidence, let alone the differentials. Read Arryn's quote, "Best guess: guns & Americans do not necessarily combine in rational patterns." What does the Vegas shooting have to do with generalizing the behavior of Americans? There are over 300,000,000 Americans and just over 30,000 violent deaths as a result of firearm use. If my math is correct, that's .0001% per person. That snipe at Americans is nothing more than a bigoted response.

He never made generalizations about all Americans.  You are a liar.  And not a very good one.  With really transparent motives.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

As the kids evidently didn't even know their father, as he was gone most of their lives, does their father's criminal history have any bearing on understanding the shooter or giving him the impulse to do such a hideous thing?  I ask, because I have no ideas or opinions about this kind of thing.  I never even took an intro to psychology course.  But the media brings it up in all the reporting now.

It is way too early to say anything about this. There is a genetic component to anti-social personality disorder (as there is to almost all psychological conditions, good or bad). One would have to know a lot more details about exactly how these children were raised to be able to give any evaluation of the home environment factors here. But the problem with all retrospective analysis in such a situation is that it is subject to hindsight bias. No matter how logical the connections between genetics and environment seem in explaining such a case, they are unlikely to be unique enough to give any real way to predict mass shooters in the future in way where they can be prevented. 

7 minutes ago, Ormond said:

It is way too early to say anything about this. There is a genetic component to anti-social personality disorder (as there is to almost all psychological conditions, good or bad). One would have to know a lot more details about exactly how these children were raised to be able to give any evaluation of the home environment factors here. But the problem with all retrospective analysis in such a situation is that it is subject to hindsight bias. No matter how logical the connections between genetics and environment seem in explaining such a case, they are unlikely to be unique enough to give any real way to predict mass shooters in the future in way where they can be prevented. 

That's would I would think, but as I say, I haven't knowledge of these matters.  One could as easily maybe, blame an onset of adult dementia?  Nor do I know anything about that either beyond what friends have struggled with their parents acting out violently and abusively.

4 hours ago, Sword of Doom said:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/353489-guitarist-who-played-during-las-vegas-festival-changes-his-mind

Just a few quotes from that article

“Until the events of last night,” Keeter said. “I cannot express how wrong I was. We actually have members of our crew with [concealed handgun licenses], and legal firearms on the bus. They were useless.”

“Writing my parents and the love of my life a goodbye last night and a living will because I felt like I wasn’t going to live through the night was enough for me to realize that this is completely and totally out of hand,” Keeter wrote.

“We need gun control RIGHT. NOW.”

“My biggest regret its that I stubbornly didn’t realize it until my bothers on the road and myself were threatened by it,” he continued.

In a later tweet, Keeter said his previous stance on gun control was “wrong, stupid, and selfish.”

Good for him.  It took me way too long to wake up for gun control, too.  Sadly, considering the industry he works in I fear that he may suffer some serious consequences for coming out in favor of this.  

2 hours ago, TerraPrime said:

It's heartbreaking every time I look at this data.  

5 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Not that it matters after he's spent more than a week trying to fuck over Puerto Rico with his twitter rants and basically calling them lazy losers for nothing being able to get their power up and running and drain their flooded lands by now.  Oh, and also for being hungry and thirsty.

All this while he was at his golf resort in Jersey.   Such a good look for him.   :dunce:

10 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

All this while he was at his golf resort in Jersey.   Such a good look for him.   :dunce:

Are you suggesting that it's a bad look to dedicate a golf trophy to hurricane victims?

President Trump on Sunday dedicated a golf trophy to the victims of recent powerful hurricanes that tore through Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico, all the while defending the government's response to the disasters.

"On behalf of all of the people of Texas, and all of the people — if you look today and see what is happening, how horrible it is but we have it under really great control — Puerto Rico and the people of Florida who have really suffered over this last short period of time with the hurricanes, I want to just remember them," the president said.

"And we're going to dedicate this trophy to all of those people that went through so much that we love — a part of our great state, really part of our great nation," he continued.

When is the winning going to stop?

4 minutes ago, Week said:

Are you suggesting that it's a bad look to dedicate a golf trophy to hurricane victims?

When is the winning going to stop?

No.  No.  This didn't happen.  It's one of those spliced together videos, right?  RIGHT?  It's a satire website.  Has to be.  Please say it is.  What fucking world is this.

4 hours ago, Mother Cocanuts said:

Aren't there more suicides than homicides as result of gun use? Doesn't suicide also make up the majority of gun-related deaths? 

Here's some stats:

All shootings: Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured [those figures exclude suicide]. Those figures are likely to rise by several hundred, once incidents in the final week of the year are counted.

Source: Gun Violence Archive

Over 44,000 Americans die by suicide each year in USA.   Firearms account for almost 50% of all suicides in 2015. My guess an average year.

So very rough numbers would be 17,181 more gun deaths for suicides in USA.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

No.  No.  This didn't happen.  It's one of those spliced together videos, right?  RIGHT?  It's a satire website.  Has to be.  Please say it is.  What fucking world is this.

No, it's true.  You can find it if you really want to.  (but why would any sane human want to?)

11 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

No, it's true.  You can find it if you really want to.  (but why would any sane human want to?)

I watched it.  I've read it.  I've confirmed with multiple sources.  But it still feels like a joke.  He's so cruel.  

27 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Here's some stats:

All shootings: Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015, according to the Gun Violence Archive, and 26,819 people were injured [those figures exclude suicide]. Those figures are likely to rise by several hundred, once incidents in the final week of the year are counted.

Source: Gun Violence Archive

Over 44,000 Americans die by suicide each year in USA.   Firearms account for almost 50% of all suicides in 2015. My guess an average year.

So very rough numbers would be 17,181 more gun deaths for suicides in USA.

From second hand experience:  My Father helped found and participated in the local volunteer fire department for over twenty years.  Suicides by firearm were such a major issue, the fire department was 'encouraged' to reclassify many of them as 'firearm accidents.'  Otherwise, the numbers were just too scary. 

Then again, this is small town Alaska.

13 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

From second hand experience:  My Father helped found and participated in the local volunteer fire department for over twenty years.  Suicides by firearm were such a major issue, the fire department was 'encouraged' to reclassify many of them as 'firearm accidents.'  Otherwise, the numbers were just too scary. 

I wonder if there is anyway to uncover just how many police and fire departments are encouraged to reclassify suicides in this way.  

2 hours ago, BloodRider said:

He never made generalizations about all Americans.  You are a liar.  And not a very good one.  With really transparent motives.

Yes he did.

9 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Best guess: guns & Americans do not necessarily combine in rational patterns. 

And, my motives, however "transparent" they are, don't matter.

45 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Sorry to hear that, as I have a 2010 family member suicide from a self inflicted gunshot wound that was definitely a suicide and dually* noted.  They should be noted as such, as difficult as it may be.  

*is this the correct word for this use?

Archived