Well-Fitting Foundation Garments

Mlle. Zabzie

This is a topic that is near (literally) and dear to my heart.  My undergarments make or break my day. 

Bras

For years I harbored hatred and resentment against my bras, cursing them and almost purposefully mistreating them.  Then I got a proper fitting rather than some chick at Victoria's Secret jamming a measuring tape across the girls and barely looking.  I realized that my band size had been too big, and my cup size had been too small, and that I was wearing my shoulder straps wrong.  I was also picking the wrong styles.  What a difference it made to have a professional get me fitted (there are great people at department stores, but get a recommendation).  Now, it turns out that I'm not a common size (and not one that they have at that stores that sell cheap torture devices.  I end up paying a bit more than I did when I thought I was an extremely common size.  But you know what?  It makes all the difference and is worth every single penny.  My favorite brand is Chantelle.  I also have a Natori that I like, and Wacoal has some nice styles but not reliably in my size.  I can have fewer things that make me happier.  I also invested in several good sports bras.  There's part of me that kind of hates it, but the best I have found is Lululemon's Tata Tamer.

Undershirts

I'm a huge fan of the nude under shirt or under cami.  I like bamboo silk because it breaths really well and does a good job of protecting my clothes.  I have a couple that also can smooth lines when I wear certain dresses and that aren't the torturous piece of hell known as spanx.  I wear spanx only under protest.  

Underwear

So, I have a collection.  A few years ago I purged all that were uncomfortable, so that I'm left with soft, commando type seamless underwear.  The point for me is that I shouldn't be aware that I am wearing it at any time.  

Socks

I have not found a sock solution that I love.  I really struggle with socks.  Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.  I am strangely in team sheer nude hose though.  Particularly in the fall and winter they add just enough warmth.  I leave the team in summer.

Happy Friday!

Can guys jump in on this? Because my life has been measurably improved by Under Armor 9" boxerjocks. Unfortunately, the new design kind of sucks compared to how they used to be, so I'm looking for new athletic compression shorts because there's no way in hell I will ever go back to standard boxers ever again.

2 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Can guys jump in on this? Because my life has been measurably improved by Under Armor 9" boxerjocks. Unfortunately, the new design kind of sucks compared to how they used to be, so I'm looking for new athletic compression shorts because there's no way in hell I will ever go back to standard boxers ever again.

Guys can decidedly get in on this.  Well fitting foundation garments are important for ALL.

I have a perennial nightmare finding good bras and hold onto ones I like for dear life and well past the point where they need replacing really (and do all sorts of hacks like re-sewing the hooks up the strap once its stretched out to get a bit more life out of them.) My platonic perfect bra is both a large size and yet not padded and with a very low cup-connecting-thingy but also narrow distance between the straps (maybe crossed) and if possible cotton. And not beige. I know this bra not to actually exist, but I can dream.

All that said, I needed a strapless bra for a thing, and assuming I would wear it all of twice got a 5 euro one at Primark (who had it in my size!) and that thing, even without the straps hooked in, is one of the most comfortable bras I've ever owned. It's bizzare and astonishes me anew every time. (I mean, I'm like an E/F 34-6. It shouldn't work.) I find myself sometimes wearing strappy dresses because then I'll have a justifiable reason to wear the ridiculous strapless bra and glory in its comfortness.  :dunno:

6 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

I have a perennial nightmare finding good bras and hold onto ones I like for dear life and well past the point where they need replacing really (and do all sorts of hacks like re-sewing the hooks up the strap once its stretched out to get a bit more life out of them.) My platonic perfect bra is both a large size and yet not padded and with a very low cup-connecting-thingy but also narrow distance between the straps (maybe crossed) and if possible cotton. And not beige. I know this bra not to actually exist, but I can dream.

All that said, I needed a strapless bra for a thing, and assuming I would wear it all of twice got a 5 euro one at Primark (who had it in my size!) and that thing, even without the straps hooked in, is one of the most comfortable bras I've ever owned. It's bizzare and astonishes me anew every time. (I mean, I'm like an E/F 34-6. It shouldn't work.) I find myself sometimes wearing strappy dresses because then I'll have a justifiable reason to wear the ridiculous strapless bra and glory in its comfortness.  :dunno:

See, it's totally a thing.  The correct bra is everything.    Check out Chantelle's Parisian unlined plunge.  I happen to know it comes in turquoise.  I also like the C Ideal and the Merci Smooth (I actually prefer a bit of lining).  If you want a racerback (which I don't love for me), the Molitor is nice.  They aren't cheap, but they last pretty well.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Guys can decidedly get in on this.  Well fitting foundation garments are important for ALL.

Are you sure about this? Do you want the thread hijacked by men complaining about not finding briefs with a pouch that is large enough?

And if they do, they are liars. The lot of them.

3 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Those are a solid choice -- I also got these recently which I think are even better. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M0MN0C/

45 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Are you sure about this? Do you want the thread hijacked by men complaining about not finding briefs with a pouch that is large enough?

And if they do, they are liars. The lot of them.

It will add both to the information and entertainment value of the thread.  This is not to suggest that undergarments aren't serious business.  Because they totally are.

I will now confess that I do not care for my undergarments correctly.  No gentle swishing of my bras in a sink with mild detergent for me.  I may or may not remember to use the lingerie bag in the wash.  I simply can't be bothered.  And I will say the sales ladies do lecture one on this.  I think they kind of enjoy making us squirm, because it's against their interest, particularly if they are on commission.  I'm just back sooner because something's had a dryer incident of one kind or another.

Truly, the only good thing that came of a double mastectomy was being able to ditch the ##$#@!#@$# bra.  It's been 7 years and I still revel in the freedom of going braless.  It's AWESOME.

Having said that, I'm extremely picky about undergarments and socks.  I'm also a fan of bamboo silk, and I recently gave the Bombas socks a try.  If you listen to podcasts, you've heard them advertise, most likely.  They are truly worth every penny.  

My dog has a thing for socks, and I keep a few cheap, matchless socks in the laundry at all times and conveniently drop them so he thinks he's getting away with something.  I caught him stealing some of my Bombas socks out of the laundry basket when I was folding clothes, and I could tell he was so confused by why he couldn't have them.  But he can't.  They're mine and I'm not sharing them.

I am a huge proponent of the proper bra fitting. Zabz you need to come to my neighborhood and buy bras from my local store! The proprietor is awesome and she runs a body-positive, trans-friendly shop. My favorite brand is still PrimaDonna. Love those bras something fierce although my current go-to is a Panache.

I have wanted to remove the breasts for as long as I can remember.  They are just too big and tedious.  I've never found a bra that fits properly for more than a couple of months.  They always end up feeling uncomfortable or they aren't the right size or my boobs are popping out of the top or the underwire starts coming out.  It dawns on me that if I would have just gone braless for a year or so that I might have easily saved enough money to have a breast removal or reduction.  Although going braless when this large has it's own problems.  I've been properly fitted, have bought all the brands that have my cup size (although not yet Natori they go up to at least an H so I'll be trying them).  I just feel like a good fitting bra is a myth.

I'm low key with socks and underwear.  Don't really do undershirts all that often because it's not needed with my style, but I'm really interested in this bamboo silk stuff.   

I was never one who had as much difficulty as some with bras, but I found they had their annoyances. This past summer in the South I decided I just could NOT handle one more day of sweaty underwire bra soup. I wanted to find a cheap bra that was not underwire but not a sports bra that wouldn't be so uncomfortable when I inevitably got sweaty. I ended up getting these and I looove them! Super comfy but still give the girls a nice shape (I wear them sans padding). I am of the smaller-breasted persuasion, so a lightweight solution like this worked well for me. Would not have expected to like them so much for <$20 for a 4-pack!

For underwear, my go-to is Aerie cotton briefs. Cute and comfy. Okay, my boyfriend calls them granny panties, but that is just what he thinks of anything besides a thong (:dunno:). Their bras are awful though.

I like Gold Toe for ankle socks, but I have yet to find a good pair of crew socks. The ones I get always end up cutting into my calf/ankle. But this is probably because I'm cheap and don't want to shell out lots of money for what would presumably be better socks.

3 hours ago, Starkess said:

For underwear, my go-to is Aerie cotton briefs. Cute and comfy. Okay, my boyfriend calls them granny panties, but that is just what he thinks of anything besides a thong (:dunno:). Their bras are awful though.

I like those as well - I'll get three for seven dollars or something like that whenever I'm in the one town that has their outlet store here. Cotton, plus those very wide lacy bands instead of elastic so nothing's digging in anywhere and it seems to give them a bit of longevity too. (I got a seamless pair the other day and they're not great though - tend to slide and scrunch up in odd ways. Might have gone a size too big though.)

10 hours ago, Week said:

Those are a solid choice -- I also got these recently which I think are even better. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M0MN0C/

I like the look of those, might definitely have to try them. They look long in the leg which is one of the main things I llook for, short leg compression shorts have a habit of riding up on me and it gets very uncomfortable very quickly.

Bras

I can't comment except that it seems that quite a number of women do have different cup-sizes which makes me wonder why no-one is trying to sell bras where you can just change the single cups. Looks like an unmarketed niche.

Socks:

Honestly I am still searching for the optimum. Most of them are either too short, not covering enough of the calf and thus leaving an uncomfortable zone of nakedness when sitting down or they are too long in which case they are in most cases not tight enough and prone to sliding down the calf, or they are too tight in which case they leave uncomfortable marks. Von Jungfeld comes closest to what I consider good socks, and I like their colours

Boxers:

I have become a fan of Schiesser Boxershort Jersey. Very light and comfortable, I hope they will continue to produce them for a long time.

23 minutes ago, Alarich II said:

Bras

I can't comment except that it seems that quite a number of women do have different cup-sizes which makes me wonder why no-one is trying to sell bras where you can just change the single cups. Looks like an unmarketed niche.

I've laughed for a solid ten minutes.  Thanks for that.  

On 9/29/2017 at 6:48 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I am a huge proponent of the proper bra fitting. Zabz you need to come to my neighborhood and buy bras from my local store! The proprietor is awesome and she runs a body-positive, trans-friendly shop. My favorite brand is still PrimaDonna. Love those bras something fierce although my current go-to is a Panache.

Ooo - will have to do that.  Love supporting good local businesses.

@Lily Valley thanks for the shout out :)

49 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

This also made my day.

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

You're welcome, although I am still unsure wether it's the idea itself, my ignorance or the mental image of some strange German running around with his measuring tape...

Archived