Well-Fitting Foundation Garments

Mlle. Zabzie

11 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Fellas wear foundation garments too and IMO are welcome here to discuss them, and their experiences with brands, fit, and style.  It's just that this thread is about the clothes, not what goes in them.  It's shallow that way :P

Wholly separately, I need these thermal shorts which are being spoken of.  NYC is freaking cold in the winter.  I actually have a couple of sets of ski silks that I wear as long underwear.  Very warm, but not overbearing and useful for days when one is going to be in and out.  

I too bought silk underwear, a long sleeved top and the long johns, for skiers to wear on extra cold days. But most times now I find all I need to wear are pantyhose.  For something so fine it's amazing what an insulating layer they are.

The thermal shorts do sound intriguing, though.

Oh, and not a foundation garment, but for the cold skiers' super thin merino pullover sweaters are also amazing. Found it at Costco for a great price. The only problem is moths love them. I have not had a problem with moths in years but they sure found that damn merino sweater.

16 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Zabz for winter boots I always choose a size I can wear with a thicker sock.  For mid-calf and knee high boots, I do sock and then legwarmer, put on the boots and then tuck the extra legwarmer into the top of the boot.  I usually wear these with leggings, so if they bunch a bit it still blends.  If they ALMOST fit my calf, I can go with the thick knitted socks.  I have also cut the bottom of the legwarmer off for boots that fit the ankle and not the calf.  Mostly I'm just closing the gap and creating an illusion that my boots fit.  Works with any of the boots on this page.

https://www.zappos.com/women-boots/CK_XARCz1wE6BM4TzxPAAQHiAgQBAgcY.zso

Thank you for this! I have what can best be described as chicken legs and a rather sad pile of calf-high boots that just flap around awkwardly when I wear them, so I will give your suggestions a try. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thank you for this! I have what can best be described as chicken legs and a rather sad pile of calf-high boots that just flap around awkwardly when I wear them, so I will give your suggestions a try. 

Then you have legs like mine!  Stole this look from another chicken legged gal!  It changed my wardrobe.  I can wear my winter boots with a longer skirt all winter and it's also nice and warm.  For fall/ spring if I'm not wearing leggings, the leg warmers pretty much still disappear that gap.  I have two kinds, the loose ones and the ones that are stitched tighter at the top and bottom.  They're cheap and they are cozy!

Edit:  I just found these super cute cuff leg warmers that might prevent me from hacking apart my longer ones!

Ok so these are the shorts I ordered after my first round of online research. I wanted thin shorts which don't add bulk, just an extra layer of insulation really. I wanted relatively plain ones - in this case it's a pack of two, one is totally plain, the other has a little lace frill around the leg. I can live with that.

Thermal shorts

I am also open to other suggestions if anyone else finds something similar to recommend.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is it beyond embarassing that as a 41 year old man, my mother still buys my pants and socks for christmas and birthdays?

My dad still sends socks and underwear every year.  For all of us.  It is APPRECIATED!

One thing i will say about other people buying socks, they need to adhere to my policy.  A plain black sock is no good to me as i hate having to work out which pairs go together, i need a pack of socks that are all black (for work), but have distinguising features to enable easy sorting. 

1 hour ago, MercurialCannibal said:

socks: if I were rich I would wear a new pair every single day 

My quote from page 2

'It has long been my dream to be wealthy enough to wear fresh socks everyday.  There is nothing on this earth that feels as good as a brand new sock'. 

Football and socks, when you can agree on the important things everything else falls into place. 

9 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

This morning it was cold.  I rummaged around in my drawer for presentable socks.  I have none.  If anyone, parent or not, wants to get me socks, I'm all for it.

Need your address.  Please send to FB as I left my phone in a lyft and it "isn't a good time" for her to bring it back. Yes, since 8am.  Yes, I am still waiting like that hopeful idiot who keeps putting salt in their eye.

Edit:  Grammar.  I am sure I just made it worse.

On 10/25/2017 at 7:34 AM, James Arryn said:

I did massage for a couple years, and some of the sizes being talked about here...I'm thinking a lot of lower back issues and maybe some should consider reductions. 

I told my friend about this post and we spent all last night dying of laughter.  The idea that we could just 'consider reductions' in the same way we consider buying a new bra is honestly hilarious.  Shit's expensive, not easy to obtain.  I have at least a decade of documentation and still my insurance won't pay for it.  

16 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

One thing i will say about other people buying socks, they need to adhere to my policy.  A plain black sock is no good to me as i hate having to work out which pairs go together, i need a pack of socks that are all black (for work), but have distinguising features to enable easy sorting. 

If they are all plain black, then aren't they all matching pairs? 

In any case, I recently bought one of my kids black socks.  They are casual/sport, not dressy, but they have an L and R on the bottom of each.  surely they have something like this in more dressy brands.

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I told my friend about this post and we spent all last night dying of laughter.  The idea that we could just 'consider reductions' in the same way we consider buying a new bra is honestly hilarious.  Shit's expensive, not easy to obtain.  I have at least a decade of documentation and still my insurance won't pay for it.  

If they are all plain black, then aren't they all matching pairs? 

In any case, I recently bought one of my kids black socks.  They are casual/sport, not dressy, but they have an L and R on the bottom of each.  surely they have something like this in more dressy brands.

Oh my god, of course not, plain black a is not the same as plain black b.  You heathen. 

On 28/10/2017 at 7:14 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Oh my god, of course not, plain black a is not the same as plain black b.  You heathen. 

Indeed. For plain black work socks I like those that have just a tiny mark to help pair them up - a brand name or something in different colour threads for each pair, or an coloured heel/toe or something 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I had this issue with my navy and black socks.  Now I use safety pins.  I just pin the pair together after I take them off and it keeps them together through the washing and drying.  Then I just remove the safety pin after they are dry and I roll them up and put them in the drawer.

• 2 weeks later...

Having achieved a state of maturity wherein I have submitted to the necessity of washing one's foundation garments in a mesh bag and not putting them in the dryer (shout out to past boarders who have helped me reach this place), I am now confounded with the dichotomy of the mesh bag and the bra hook.

What the suffering fuck?  Hooks and mesh are natural enemies--they must clash.  Who is the heroine who will provide me with an alternative such that my foundation garments may breathe freely of water and detergent and yet not tangle in this visceral conflict?

14 hours ago, litechick said:

Having achieved a state of maturity wherein I have submitted to the necessity of washing one's foundation garments in a mesh bag and not putting them in the dryer (shout out to past boarders who have helped me reach this place), I am now confounded with the dichotomy of the mesh bag and the bra hook.

What the suffering fuck?  Hooks and mesh are natural enemies--they must clash.  Who is the heroine who will provide me with an alternative such that my foundation garments may breathe freely of water and detergent and yet not tangle in this visceral conflict?

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!   I threw mine (and attached foundation garment) in the trash because I got so aggravated.

Archived