Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

19 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't think that was an error. I assumed he injected himself with that pain suppressor before going to the Shenzou, since he knew what would be coming. The anonymous emperor thing was really weird. I also love how Burnham lived among the mirror people for days and doesn't notice the light sensitivity thing until the most dramatic moment.

I know he had the pain suppressor but I thought it was supposed to take the edge off - it just also amused me how he switched so quickly from agoniser to fine. Although it's just as entertaining to think he spent hours on end faking it :)

The light thing would make more sense to me if it was "regular universe" light that bugged their eyes because of quantumn signature BS. Again it's fun to think the terran empire might not exist if they all wore sunglasses.

Karaddin - I really like your take on Stamet. His anger being at his research being misused/hijacked rather than being a full time asshole. I know I can be a completely different person at work than I am outside of it (it fluctuates which is the more positive side of me).

The spoiler thing is due to that fear of ruining it for non-netflix people - probably doesn't need to extend beyond the first 24 hours though and I have no problem with it being a free-for-all.

@red snow spoiler thing makes perfect sense when you put it that way. Not used to having to think about the possibility of it being available to me before it is for the main audience as that is definitely not the norm, somehow I came out a winner on this one though.

More on Stamets - I know it was after he'd been mellowed out/high from the spores but look at his behaviour in 'Magic to make the sanest man go mad'. After a certain number of loops he had clearly sobered up from the whole thing, and yet Michael - someone he had previously been antagonistic towards - tells him she's never been in love. His reaction? Sorrow and sympathy. And then he teaches her how to dance and helps her shed her insecurities that prevent her from giving it a chance with Tyler. He doesn't make her want it, she already wanted to but was afraid to try. And even when he's teaching her to dance the fact that he has an abrasive personality does show, but it's that - abrasive but not fundamentally an asshole.

I'm not sure I felt like as strongly the first time through, but I rewatched all the episodes last week and it was much more clear that his attitude in the first few episodes was down to his feelings on the research project. And the show glossed over it by way of not explicitly mentioning it again after ep3, but the pressure Star Fleet is putting on their research split him up from his colleague of years/decades and pushed him to take risks that killed him. Then a short time later he is pushed, and when that fails manipulated with the broadcast of the people dying in Klingon attack, by Lorca to make exactly the same kind of risks that let to his colleague getting his insides turned out.

Seems like they've completed a reboot of the show. On the whole, it was pretty successful, I think. What's past is prologue indeed. Clever.

For the first time, the crew felt like a crew. And Saru's speech was surprisingly rousing. If they'd taken a little more time to show how betrayed the crew felt, it would have felt even more earned, but this was still good.

Does anyone else see a Georgiu redemption arc coming? 

The effects looked sweet there.

Boy did that Georgiu suck tho. I dunno if its the actress or the director, but that was one bland and boring evil empress. Perhaps the only directions they gave her were "make an evil face and strain your voice". But man did I not like that version.

7 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

For the first time, the crew felt like a crew. And Saru's speech was surprisingly rousing.

I agree but also I could not name any of the crew beyond Detmer (?) from the shenzou.  Like if they had given any of the sub-Saru bridge crew 30 seconds of screen time at any point during this season I feel like that scene might have been more impactfiul.  

Edit: also calling the "Tilly was always Killy" twist now. Since Lorca's dead it's the only season finale oh shit moment they have left. 

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

I agree but also I could not name any of the crew beyond Detmer (?) from the shenzou.  Like if they had given any of the sub-Saru bridge crew 30 seconds of screen time at any point during this season I feel like that scene might have been more impactfiul.  

Edit: also calling the "Tilly was always Killy" twist now. Since Lorca's dead it's the only season finale oh shit moment they have left. 

Who is Killy? I do wonder about the green spore.

Anyway, another enjoyable episode. I thought the hall gunfight was pretty good. I really like how they show, and not shy away from, phasers disintegrating people at max setting. On the other hand, the throne room fight was fairly bad, especially when they cut to a large shot, and you could see the stunt people in place of the actors. But Michelle Yeoh still got it. 

Lorca was a pretty good character. Now back to the Klingon plot, which is in danger of falling flat on its face, but we'll see.

17 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Who is Killy? I do wonder about the green spore.

Anyway, another enjoyable episode. I thought the hall gunfight was pretty good. I really like how they show, and not shy away from, phasers disintegrating people at max setting. On the other hand, the throne room fight was fairly bad, especially when they cut to a large shot, and you could see the stunt people in place of the actors. But Michelle Yeoh still got it. 

Lorca was a pretty good character. Now back to the Klingon plot, which is in danger of falling flat on its face, but we'll see.

Tilly is a captain in the Mirror Universe and her nickname is Captain Killy.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Am I mistaken, or is the famous double-fist hammer punch no longer a thing in Discovery's fight choreography?

I was thinking that, too. They are definitely trying to show some more martial artsy moves, instead of just punch, punch, kick, double-fist punch.

It was good that they established early on that Michael was proficient in the Vulcan martial arts, so all this ass kicking isn't quite so ridiculous.

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Nah - they're going to meet Mirror-Discovery. It was implied they swapped on the way into the MU, but they might not have done on the way back. I hope they haven't, I'd be disappointed if we don't get to meet the real Captain Killy.

Holy fuck, the episode was amazing. They're probably going to be offended or at least pretend to be when Mirror Georgiou tells them how to win.

Well, in the Prime timeline the Federation never lost a war to the Klingons, so logically they're going to go back in time to either avert the Klingon victory in the war, or perhaps even prevent it happening. That would also explain how Burnham is forgiven her crimes, by basically undoing them so they never happened.

They could also do this in some way that explains the Klingon changed appearance, although that's a tougher sell (since the Klingons looked like the originals even in Enterprise, which predates Discovery by a century). Whatever they do, I suspect it will involve losing access to the spore network.

36 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Nah - they're going to meet Mirror-Discovery. It was implied they swapped on the way into the MU, but they might not have done on the way back. I hope they haven't, I'd be disappointed if we don't get to meet the real Captain Killy.

I think she was built up a bit and so we'll definitely see her somehow. My suggestion was a bit ridiculous but this show seems to love those kinda reveals. 

I haven't watched Discovery yet. I grew up on TNG, DS9 was my absolute favorite and Voyager was just all right to me. Didn't much care for Enterprise and stopped mid season 2 while it was airing, though years later I finished it. Season 4 was alright, but by then the damage was done. Guess what I'm getting at is, is this worth subbing to cbs for? :P

9 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I haven't watched Discovery yet. I grew up on TNG, DS9 was my absolute favorite and Voyager was just all right to me. Didn't much care for Enterprise and stopped mid season 2 while it was airing, though years later I finished it. Season 4 was alright, but by then the damage was done. Guess what I'm getting at is, is this worth subbing to cbs for? :P

If you look at the early posts in here I said I didn't like the idea of having to pay for CBS AA but I'm glad I did honestly.

37 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Considering that if you subscribed now, you would have the chance to binge most of the season, then I say the show is worth 1-2 months subscription pay.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

We've still got 2 episodes to go. I think this series would really benefit from being binge-watched across a couple of weekends or something.

In the preview for next week Burnham says she started the war. At least one other person has accused her of starting it. But I don't see how you can blame the war on her. Wasn't her mutiny thwarted before she could do anything? As I understand it T'kumva went to the binary stars with the intention of uniting the klingon houses in a war against the federation. 

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

In the preview for next week Burnham says she started the war. At least one other person has accused her of starting it. But I don't see how you can blame the war on her. Wasn't her mutiny thwarted before she could do anything? As I understand it T'kumva went to the binary stars with the intention of uniting the klingon houses in a war against the federation. 

I think a number of people from Starfleet are under the misconception that because Michael killed that Torchbearer, she drew first blood. I'm pretty sure the Klingons are using that as pretext.

Archived