Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

DS9 proves that any show can move beyond a poor first and even second season. Yes, everyone agrees Duet is one of the best DS9, Trek, and even SciFi episodes of all time, however 1/46 episodes isn't a very good ratio.  Well, 2/46 as the final episode of season 2 was tolerable.  Beyond the first couple of DS9 seasons came so much greatness, Pale Moonlight, so many other episodes and entire arcs were  just fantastic, and outside of B5 and BSG have never been repeated so far as what I prefer to see.

Hopefully Discovery will keep chugging along as well, and continue to improve.  It surprised me how much I began to like it as the season progressed. 

3 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

DS9 proves that any show can move beyond a poor first and even second season. Yes, everyone agrees Duet is one of the best DS9, Trek, and even SciFi episodes of all time, however 1/46 episodes isn't a very good ratio.  Well, 2/46 as the final episode of season 2 was tolerable.  Beyond the first couple of DS9 seasons came so much greatness, Pale Moonlight, so many other episodes and entire arcs were  just fantastic, and outside of B5 and BSG have never been repeated so far as what I prefer to see.

Hopefully Discovery will keep chugging along as well, and continue to improve.  It surprised me how much I began to like it as the season progressed. 

Pale Moonlight is one of my favorites. TNG got much better after season 2 as well I think.

I wonder if Inhumans could have improved by season 3? Although I guess Pike won't be a regular in Discovery without it starting to feel a bit too much like the Enterprise is hogging the limelight. At what point did Pike stop being captain of the Enterprise and was he already wheelchair bound at that point? Just wondering whether there's wiggle room for him to be an interim captain of Discovery? I  guess there's potential for the Discovery to be a black ops/secret science vessel where Pike could have been on board.

Now it's off air I'm realising how season one was a fun weekly fixture for me and miss it somewhat - even to the point where I was thinking it was time to do my selective TNG (re)watch.

15 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

DS9 proves that any show can move beyond a poor first and even second season. Yes, everyone agrees Duet is one of the best DS9, Trek, and even SciFi episodes of all time, however 1/46 episodes isn't a very good ratio.  Well, 2/46 as the final episode of season 2 was tolerable. 

Season 2 has a lot more than just "tolerable" episodes. Many episodes tend a bit more to do "slow burn world-building", but the opening three-parter with Bajor on the brink of civil war was strong, "Necessary Evil" (Odo film noir with depictions of Terok Nor) was great, as were "Whispers" (O'Brien's a replicant?), "Blood Oath" (TOS Klingon reunion), "The Maquis" two-parter, "The Wire" (Garak's first big episode), and "Crossover" (the first, best and most "serious" Mirror Universe episode). 

What's more, while Discovery is all over the place in terms of its character arcs and big picture storytelling, DS9 manages to be consistent, continuity without serialization, and slowly setting the stage for the emergence of the Dominion at the end of Season 2. 

14 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

Season 2 has a lot more than just "tolerable" episodes. Many episodes tend a bit more to do "slow burn world-building", but the opening three-parter with Bajor on the brink of civil war was strong, "Necessary Evil" (Odo film noir with depictions of Terok Nor) was great, as were "Whispers" (O'Brien's a replicant?), "Blood Oath" (TOS Klingon reunion), "The Maquis" two-parter, "The Wire" (Garak's first big episode), and "Crossover" (the first, best and most "serious" Mirror Universe episode). 

What's more, while Discovery is all over the place in terms of its character arcs and big picture storytelling, DS9 manages to be consistent, continuity without serialization, and slowly setting the stage for the emergence of the Dominion at the end of Season 2. 

Yeah, DS9 Season 2 is pretty strong throughout. Season 1 is patchier, but rarely "really poor", and far more consistent in tone than Disco.

21 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm just watching Voyager for the first time all the way though now. So far so good but I don't really like Neelix at this point. 

Voyager is probably my least favourite which is slightly odd given I watched all of it but only one season of enterprise. I guess the unknown quality of enterprise is better than the known quality of Voyager. That said, I was surprised recently when several of my friends (who are casual SF viewers) instantly rated Voyager as their favourite. I guess it suited the casual viewer maybe?

It was still entertaining but I always find it curious how Ron Moore wasn't involved in Voyager yet made better use of it's premise (1 ship stuck with limited supplies in hostile territory) with his BSG remake. SGU also made better use of the premise as well. I guess Voyager wanted to be like next gen at heart but the creators wanted new aliens but were less interested in fully exploring the set up of a lone ship in hostile territory.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Voyager is probably my least favourite which is slightly odd given I watched all of it but only one season of enterprise. I guess the unknown quality of enterprise is better than the known quality of Voyager. That said, I was surprised recently when several of my friends (who are casual SF viewers) instantly rated Voyager as their favourite. I guess it suited the casual viewer maybe?

It was still entertaining but I always find it curious how Ron Moore wasn't involved in Voyager yet made better use of it's premise (1 ship stuck with limited supplies in hostile territory) with his BSG remake. SGU also made better use of the premise as well. I guess Voyager wanted to be like next gen at heart but the creators wanted new aliens but were less interested in fully exploring the set up of a lone ship in hostile territory.

A buddy of mine loves it. It tries to be TNG but it falls short. I like all the shows for different reasons. The only character I don't like so far is Neelix.  

I find it odd as well, if he had been involved I feel like it would have been so much better . 

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

A buddy of mine loves it. It tries to be TNG but it falls short. I like all the shows for different reasons. The only character I don't like so far is Neelix.  

I find it odd as well, if he had been involved I feel like it would have been so much better . 

it's perfectly watchable tv - in the league of the DC shows on CW. Just a bit disposable as well. Besides the Doctor I found a lot of the characters quite weak - I even find it hard to remember a lot of them. I guess Tuvok was portrayed well in the sense that vulcans are probably really dull to be around :) . Chakotay could have been a great character in the sense he wasn't starfleet and could have been the person who made the tough decisions starfleet flinched at but that guy rolled over pretty quickly and it was Janeway (starfleet through and through) who was willing to make the tough calls. Although this was a pure trek show in the sense there weren't many tough calls to make. But part of me sides with those who don't want trek to be about grey characters and dubious decisions. Discovery is balancing this aspect ok so far.

10 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

RonMoore was briefly involved with Voyager, but quit because it was shit basically.

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

I've just started watching it as well after feeling the absent of something light to watch that is in English (so I don't need to be reading subtitles) while home sick. It was the one that I watched a decent amount as a teen so there are some residual memories of it that bubbled back up and apparently I really like Kes, but utterly loathe Neelix. The few episodes that I've watched by mid season 2 covering his jealously really intensified this dislike.

One big stand out that's quite different to when I watched as a kid is...Janeway is a lot more attractive to me now lol. Especially when she's rocking the shorter hairstyle through the end of season1/early season 2. It doesn't go as deep with some of the concepts as it could, but I'm much more receptive now to sticking to principles over self service than I would have been a few years ago.

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

I've just started watching it as well after feeling the absent of something light to watch that is in English (so I don't need to be reading subtitles) while home sick. It was the one that I watched a decent amount as a teen so there are some residual memories of it that bubbled back up and apparently I really like Kes, but utterly loathe Neelix. The few episodes that I've watched by mid season 2 covering his jealously really intensified this dislike.

One big stand out that's quite different to when I watched as a kid is...Janeway is a lot more attractive to me now lol. Especially when she's rocking the shorter hairstyle through the end of season1/early season 2. It doesn't go as deep with some of the concepts as it could, but I'm much more receptive now to sticking to principles over self service than I would have been a few years ago.

My exact issue with Neelix is his jealousy.  I'm 20 episodes into season three and there have been a few good episodes in the third season. 

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Not about ST Disco, but since this is the thread for trekkies, I thought I'd post this article about DS9's "Far beyond the stars" that I found nice:
http://www.startrek.com/article/far-beyond-the-stars-was-trek-at-its-boldest

I want to see a musical ST discovery episode! Maybe have them testing out a prototype holodeck but they need to make it happen.

I recall that episode as being one of the good "this show was all in the protagonists head all along" stories that pop up in virtually every SFF show if they are on air long enough. I quite liked the Buffy one too but largely for the ambiguous ending.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Interesting article. At some point they may notice the common factor is the writers room regarding issues but maybe best to see if the changes sort things out.

Budget wise it sounds like they need some classic trek bottle episodes in season 2. Do they have turbo lifts to break down in this timeline? Otherwise it's going to have to be a cave or stuck on a transport ship.

CBS planning 4 (!) additional Star Trek TV series:

• A Starfleet Academy show, likely to be ongoing.
  • An animated series.
  • A mini-series to be helmed by Nicholas Meyer, focused on the life and times of Khan.
  • A mini-series set post-TNG/DS9/Voyager, focusing on Picard

The most interesting is the last of these, with CBS rumoured to be prepared to spend big bucks to get Patrick Stewart to return as Picard for one last hurrah, which he may be up for.

I’m all for making a big universe out of Star Trek, but that’s not a thrilling roster. Never understood the appeal of a Starfleet Academy show, fixing a Star Trek show to one location on Earth seems dumb. Animated? OK. Didn’t they do that? Oh, a prequel. Great. And what exactly is Picard doing? Captaining a ship? Sounds awesome ... wasn’t that TNG? 

Once again, can we not just have a plain old Starfleet ship on a mission of exploration with a new crew set post VOY? Why is this franchise terrified of doing what it used to be good at?

34 minutes ago, Werthead said:

CBS planning 4 (!) additional Star Trek TV series:

• A Starfleet Academy show, likely to be ongoing.
  • An animated series.
  • A mini-series to be helmed by Nicholas Meyer, focused on the life and times of Khan.
  • A mini-series set post-TNG/DS9/Voyager, focusing on Picard

The most interesting is the last of these, with CBS rumoured to be prepared to spend big bucks to get Patrick Stewart to return as Picard for one last hurrah, which he may be up for.

The last of those options gets the biggest thumbs up for me as it will actually chart new ground. Starfleet academy will probably feature young versions of existing show crews (although having an old next gen era teacher with new students could be fun).

Animated series I'm indifferent unless it makes use of the medium and is heavy on action and weird aliens.

Chronicles of khan could work if they stick to mini series format but it won't feel very trek given the focus and pre Starfleet setting.

But there's only really the Patrick Stewart one I'm excited about.

Archived