Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m all for making a big universe out of Star Trek, but that’s not a thrilling roster. Never understood the appeal of a Starfleet Academy show, fixing a Star Trek show to one location on Earth seems dumb. Animated? OK. Didn’t they do that? Oh, a prequel. Great. And what exactly is Picard doing? Captaining a ship? Sounds awesome ... wasn’t that TNG? 

Once again, can we not just have a plain old Starfleet ship on a mission of exploration with a new crew set post VOY? Why is this franchise terrified of doing what it used to be good at?

I agree a more traditional Trek setup would seem more interesting than most of those ideas. I would definitely watch something starring Picard, he deserves a better send-off from the franchise than Star Trek : Nemesis.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I agree a more traditional Trek setup would seem more interesting than most of those ideas. I would definitely watch something starring Picard, he deserves a better send-off from the franchise than Star Trek : Nemesis.

I'm not getting my hopes up. They'll probably end up doing it in the Kelvin timeline with Tom Hardy as the clone picard. 

If they are getting Stewart back could it not just be another mission with him on the enterprise? It's not implausible he'd still be working although you'd think at this point he'd be far higher ranked. Could still stuck him on a ship with a mission only he can handle? Or he's being transported and the captain dies and Pickard has to step up.

I'd love it if they could concoct something involving Janeway and sisko too (although sisko would be trickier given how ds9 ended). Maybe Q could be involved?

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm not getting my hopes up. They'll probably end up doing it in the Kelvin timeline with Tom Hardy as the clone picard. 

CBS don't have the rights to do the Kelvin Timeline, thankfully.

14 hours ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

If they do this, it would have to be post-Voyager, right?

Edit: unless they do another time travel story, with an aging Picard coming back to save Earth, or whatever.

Damn it. That is a possibility. Although Stewart has said he'd only do if the story was good and that he thought something with everyone in would appeal to him.

That can be countered by the fact he said he may need to watch discovery but again it seemed he had no idea when that show was set

• 5 weeks later...

Season 2 trailer.

Looks okay, dodgy music choice aside. I like the fact they've just confirmed Spock's not going to be in it (he's on leave from the Enterprise), but was surprised to see that Pike is going to be a much bigger part of the series than first expected. There's more of a sense of fun in this season and more of of the idea of the ship being out there doing missions, which is what the first season lacked.

Also, whilst Season 2 won't air until 2019 (January, I think), we are getting four short episodes later this year called Short Treks, featuring Saru, Tilly and Harry Mudd.

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I like the fact they've just confirmed Spock's not going to be in it (he's on leave from the Enterprise)

That's a bit of a cop out. Do we think they're just nervous about recasting such a major role? (and/or couldn't get Quinto?) I don't totally get the hesitation to introduce one of the franchise's most popular characters. 

17 minutes ago, RumHam said:

That's a bit of a cop out. Do we think they're just nervous about recasting such a major role? (and/or couldn't get Quinto?) I don't totally get the hesitation to introduce one of the franchise's most popular characters. 

I think having minor previous Star Trek characters like Sarek and Pike in important roles is one thing, but Spock carries a lot of weight to him, and could overshadow the new characters. It's like how they were very careful about how they deployed the original characters on the spin-off shows and used them sparingly. We've also lucked out in having two great actors playing Spock, it may be unrealistic to expect them to find a third (I'm not sure they're even allowed to ask Quinto, due to the CBS/Paramount split rights thing).

What an awful trailer, it felt like a fan made mash-up of the "Orville's" original trailer (I even think there was an elevator alien sneeze type gag in that) with everyone quipping and guffawing. Spock is on leave is one of the lamest cop outs ever. They may as well have just said "oops it's that ship that looks like enterprise". Maybe Spock is a nexus of realities and is searching for himselves (and promises never to tell anyone about it).

Positives are that Michael at least isn't edited to be a comedian and Pike is excellent. From that trailer alone he seems to have his shit together and a real commanding presence. Just a shame it's highlighted by making the discovery crew look like school kids.

Hopefully this is just artfully misrepresenting editing or the season could annoy.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ran said:

Star Trek: Academy, here we come.

Wait I thought that was a different show they were considering? If Picard is back as a teacher on earth that's a lot less interesting. I'll still watch it, but I think everyone wants to see him on a ship. Not playing Mr. Belding in Saved by the Bell: In space. 

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

Wait I thought that was a different show they were considering? If Picard is back as a teacher on earth that's a lot less interesting. I'll still watch it, but I think everyone wants to see him on a ship. Not playing Mr. Belding in Saved by the Bell: In space. 

The language in the statements -- the new stage of Picard's career, the generations new and old -- make me think the academy angle is likely.

I suppose he can sometimes lead training tours that inevitably get into trouble.

Archived