Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

SerHaHa

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Has anybody read the Destiny Trilogy? I think it would be awesome if it formed the basis for the new Picard show.

At least three times...though there are the novels before it setting it up...plus it's the basis for the whole Typhon Pact that essentially sets the stage for the Trek novel universe for years.  I've advocated that that is what should be adapted for a while now...I'd skip the Destiny trilogy, but allude to it and start with the Trek Cold War (not of the temporal variety...)

25 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

At least three times...though there are the novels before it setting it up...plus it's the basis for the whole Typhon Pact that essentially sets the stage for the Trek novel universe for years.  I've advocated that that is what should be adapted for a while now...I'd skip the Destiny trilogy, but allude to it and start with the Trek Cold War (not of the temporal variety...)

I saw a list of books across the entire Trek Universe and I want to dive in but at the same time I'm not sure I want to fall down that rabbit hole.

11 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I saw a list of books across the entire Trek Universe and I want to dive in but at the same time I'm not sure I want to fall down that rabbit hole.

Some are a little out there...but man they did some good stuff. The five part Poisoned Chalice run was great.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:06 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Some of the Star Trek books are very good. The best are probably Vendetta by Peter David (most of Peter David's early books, in fact, including Strike Zone and Imzadi; the later ones go a bit stale, with Borg cubes eating Pluto and other weirdness going on), most of Diane Duane's work, a few others. A Stitch in Time is supposed to be very good: it's actor Andrew Robinson's take on Garak's backstory and history.

However, the important thing to remember is that (unlike what we were told about the Star Wars novels) the Star Trek novels are not, have never been and never will be canon. If you're after more fun stories with the various crews or original characters, some of them are great fun, but none of them "count" as canonical stories in the Star Trek universe.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

However, the important thing to remember is that (unlike what we were told about the Star Wars novels) the Star Trek novels are not, have never been and never will be canon. If you're after more fun stories with the various crews or original characters, some of them are great fun, but none of them "count" as canonical stories in the Star Trek universe.

Honestly I think that's what makes so many of the Trek novels enjoyable.  That it isn't worried about canonical specifics, allows Trek authors to have fun and make (mostly) good logical sense in filling in holes on backstory. Of course, good editorial direction helps.  

At least the trek novels were upfront about the non canonical status rather than pretending they were and retroactively rescinding.

I guess until the new Picard show comes along much of the post ds9 novels are as real as anyone will get until contradicted by new TV shows.

Sounds like they should have maybe involved Peter David in the writers room for future TV. I mean it seems like trek writers are terrified of charting new ground and so pick restrictive points in the past. Maybe chaining themselves to some of the books would help them? At least we wouldn't be able to scratch our heads at how the tech is superior.

Having read the mess "American god's" is in I really hope discovery has fared better with its production team turnarounds. At least discovery has been juggling showrunners from the start. TV producers really need to be wary of Fuller or at least create stronger contracts with him. The guy is talented but he seems to flit around on projects post "Hannibal'

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So with the news that the Star Trek Picard series starts filming in April, what are the chances we'll see the first season in 2019?

I seem to recall that ST Discovery aired in the same year it was filmed. But it will be a close call I think, to see this before the decade is out.

20 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Has anyone watched the first Short Trek yet? It was a lot of fun and I'm kind bummed it was so short.

Is it online or just All Access? I'm not gonna renew that stupid subscription until the show proper comes out. 

13 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Is it online or just All Access? I'm not gonna renew that stupid subscription until the show proper comes out. 

Probably just on All Access, I never cancelled it but I imagine most people are like you and are just going to watch all four of them when they renew.

18 hours ago, Calibandar said:

So with the news that the Star Trek Picard series starts filming in April, what are the chances we'll see the first season in 2019?

I seem to recall that ST Discovery aired in the same year it was filmed. But it will be a close call I think, to see this before the decade is out.

It's going to be tight unless it's a short season not heavy on post production effects. It's not like Discovery offers reason to be optimistic with a massively delayed first season and more than a year between season 1 and 2.

I need to check whether the shorts are on Netflix yet

56 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's going to be tight unless it's a short season not heavy on post production effects. It's not like Discovery offers reason to be optimistic with a massively delayed first season and more than a year between season 1 and 2.

I need to check whether the shorts are on Netflix yet

Where are you? For rights reasons I've heard they're only on All Access.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Where are you? For rights reasons I've heard they're only on All Access.

I'm in the UK which has Discovery so I was hoping they'd have them. I had a quick look and they aren't present yet. Maybe we'll get them when they are all done in UK.

10 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Probably just on All Access, I never cancelled it but I imagine most people are like you and are just going to watch all four of them when they renew.

Yeah they're not showing up on Netflix is Aus which is where Discovery regular episodes were showing up the day they "aired".

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

Yeah they're not showing up on Netflix is Aus which is where Discovery regular episodes were showing up the day they "aired".

Seems odd we aren't getting them. I guess CBS all access customers deserve some bonuses though as I don't think I'd be buying a streaming channel just for discovery. Actually, I really hope Netflix gets non north America rights for the Picard show. Be shitty if it winds up on a subscribe channel I'm not a member of.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

Seems odd we aren't getting them. I guess CBS all access customers deserve some bonuses though as I don't think I'd be buying a streaming channel just for discovery. Actually, I really hope Netflix gets non north America rights for the Picard show. Be shitty if it winds up on a subscribe channel I'm not a member of.

It will be on AA, there is no way it won't. They want to keep people from dropping it so it will be Star Trek in some form all year round.

Archived