Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SerHaHa

Star Trek: Discovery #2, set phasers to stunned.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Have not seen any discussion here in almost two months...  My FB feed popped up with an ad for a free month of CBS All Access. 

Is the show entirely released?  If I sign up for the free month, will I be able to watch the entire season?

 

No only nine of the fifteen episodes have been released. The next one airs January 7th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Have not seen any discussion here in almost two months...  My FB feed popped up with an ad for a free month of CBS All Access. 

Is the show entirely released?  If I sign up for the free month, will I be able to watch the entire season?

 

I think it's just the first half of the season, the other episodes are presumably out next year some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was interesting. Just about every single theory people had come up with turned out correct. The only things that haven't been confirmed are Michelle Yeoh showing up (which still seems likely in the next episode or two) and Lorca being the Mirror Universe original (which is still possible).

The most enjoyable surprise was the Defiant connection, which gives them a direct continuity reference to the TOS episode The Tholian Web and the Enterprise two-parter In a Mirror, Darkly. Intriguingly, the Defiant looks slightly redesigned to match the Discovery and Shenzhou which sees to throw out the theory that the Discovery universe itself is an alternate reality (since the Defiant would be from the real actual Prime Universe in that case and would look exactly as it did in previous episodes...unless the Empire has modified it in the last 100 years, of course).

The shittiest bit was killing off Dr. Culba. It raises the stakes but the doctor was just getting a bit more to do. Plus killing off one of the two gay characters on the show feels a bit tiresomely predictable.

Edited by Werthead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The shittiest bit was killing off Dr. Culba. It raises the stakes but the doctor was just getting a bit more to do. Plus killing off one of the two gay characters on the show feels a bit tiresomely predictable.

 

The producers have hinted that he's

not "100% dead" and will return, and not as mirror Culba (edit: apparently it's Culber)

Edited by RumHam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I finally decided to give this a try. Amazon offers CBS, though it's the same price as if you were getting All Access without commercials. The difference is on Amazon it's really easy to subscribe and unsubscribe, so I much prefer it thais way. Also, they offered a 3-day free trial, which means there is the potential for me to watch all the episodes released so far for free. So far I watched 4. Not a bad show, but it cannot be treated as even remotely connected to any that came before. This is a different universe. However, it is a universe I can accept, considering we will get a Tarantino movie in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yesterday I finally decided to give this a try. Amazon offers CBS, though it's the same price as if you were getting All Access without commercials. The difference is on Amazon it's really easy to subscribe and unsubscribe, so I much prefer it thais way. Also, they offered a 3-day free trial, which means there is the potential for me to watch all the episodes released so far for free. So far I watched 4. Not a bad show, but it cannot be treated as even remotely connected to any that came before. This is a different universe. However, it is a universe I can accept, considering we will get a Tarantino movie in the future. 

Although I am for the most part enjoying the show, I find myself longing for the tone of the older Star Trek series.  I don't know if it's just me, but is there music playing in nearly every single scene in the show?  I miss having longer, quieter, scenes between two characters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yesterday I finally decided to give this a try. Amazon offers CBS, though it's the same price as if you were getting All Access without commercials. The difference is on Amazon it's really easy to subscribe and unsubscribe, so I much prefer it thais way. Also, they offered a 3-day free trial, which means there is the potential for me to watch all the episodes released so far for free. So far I watched 4. Not a bad show, but it cannot be treated as even remotely connected to any that came before. This is a different universe. However, it is a universe I can accept, considering we will get a Tarantino movie in the future. 

I would love for an R Rated Tarantino Trek to be in the Mirror universe.

 

 

I'm not sure Lorca is from the Mirror Universe yet he probably is but I'm not entirely convinced. And I like Tilly pretending to be from the MU.

Edited by Arch-MaesterPhilip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not about which characters are from which universe. When they decided to give the Klingons a completely different look, and it's all the Klingons, not just the first ones we see, they moved this show in a different universe.

After 7 episodes, I'm starting to like it for what it is. It still has elements that remind you that this Trek. The time loop episode was excellent in that regard, and the parts with Michael and Ripper is another good example. I don't mind the darker and more visceral aspects either, this is a Trek for a different generation, and I feel that putting this in a time of war allows them to do what DS9 did, by showing the ideals of the Federation being stretched and tested. But the main reason I'm starting to like it, is that in the last few episodes the show has started to earn its title by allowing room for other characters to shine, and not just focus on Michael, like the first episodes did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

It's not about which characters are from which universe. When they decided to give the Klingons a completely different look, and it's all the Klingons, not just the first ones we see, they moved this show in a different universe.

I don't like the new Klingons either, but by that logic the original series was set in a different universe then everything else, even the first couple movies. DS9 would also be in a different universe than TNG because of the Trill. I'm sure there are more examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the new episode was fun and I think I'll prefer this arc over the Klingon one - assuming it lasts several episodes.

I get the impression Lorca is hiding in plain sight and that he is the mirror one. Maybe he's the mirror universe's version of a "hero" in the sense the coup was to create a fairer terran empire? That just makes him an antihero in the regular universe and he recruited people to help him make the coup succeed.

I guess there's a good chance the emperor is Michelle Yeoh who they will manage to get back for a guest appearance. The show seems pretty good at being predictable and it makes her seem a good candidate. Although the Dr buying it opens the possibility for him having a bigger role in terms of his mirror counterpart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rubicante said:

Although I am for the most part enjoying the show, I find myself longing for the tone of the older Star Trek series.  I don't know if it's just me, but is there music playing in nearly every single scene in the show?  I miss having longer, quieter, scenes between two characters. 

I think you're right. This might be a reflection on a lot of current television, but the sound design generally feels kinda cluttered throughout. I also long for some more straightforward character driven drama... and maybe fewer Klingons. 

Of course, in TNG terms by episode 10 we were introducing Lwaxana Troi. They also had covered such seminal events as the first appearance of Ferengi and given us both "Code of Honor" and "Justice". DS9 was well into a fairly quiet, introspective first season. I kinda miss that here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, red snow said:

I get the impression Lorca is hiding in plain sight and that he is the mirror one.

Hmm... you'd think he'd come up with a plan that didn't involve being locked up in an agony booth indefinitely if that were the case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Lorca is gonna end up being the emperor of that mirrorverse. They did say nobody knows what he looks like, yeah?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, akh said:

I think Lorca is gonna end up being the emperor of that mirrorverse. They did say nobody knows what he looks like, yeah?

So he tried to arrange a coup against himself, and is now a fugitive? Or does he have a twin?

I'm going to go with Paul Stamets being the Emperor. In the main universe, Paul is a wonderstruck guy who always seek to discover the secrets of the universe. He also loves life, and we've seen him being willing to sacrifice himself for others. So it would be poetic if Paul was the emperor in the mirror universe, a man who seeks to gain all for himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

So he tried to arrange a coup against himself, and is now a fugitive? Or does he have a twin?

I'm going to go with Paul Stamets being the Emperor. In the main universe, Paul is a wonderstruck guy who always seek to discover the secrets of the universe. He also loves life, and we've seen him being willing to sacrifice himself for others. So it would be poetic if Paul was the emperor in the mirror universe, a man who seeks to gain all for himself.

Or maybe it was a lie and the coup against him was successful and he had to flee. "Context is for kings" sounds like a hint to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Or maybe it was a lie and the coup against him was successful and he had to flee. "Context is for kings" sounds like a hint to me.

That's a good point. I forgot about that line. I'm still going with Paul as the current emperor, and maybe Lorca was the former, now on the run, and somehow he got to the main universe.

Btw, I normally don't like these mirror universe episodes in any series because of 2 reasons.

  1. I don't really like to see the whole of the human race as a completely vile, Nazi like race.
  2. In any SF show, I don't normally care to see the alternate of an already alternate universe. Just stick to the world you've created, not branch out, is what I like to see.

That being said, this was a pretty good episode, considering what Discovery is compared to the other Trek series.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt Stamets is the emperor. A while back he seemed to be having issues keeping his reality straight and called Tilly captain in a deferential way. So I assume he was serving under her at that point in the mirror universe and got confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My odds on favourite for current hidden emperor is Philippa Georgiou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now think this Lorca is the Prime Lorca. The Mirror Lorca would have been a lot more nervous and hesitant about a plan which he would know involves him spending time in an agony booth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, felice said:

Hmm... you'd think he'd come up with a plan that didn't involve being locked up in an agony booth indefinitely if that were the case!

He can take it - check those scars out :)

22 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

I think you're right. This might be a reflection on a lot of current television, but the sound design generally feels kinda cluttered throughout. I also long for some more straightforward character driven drama... and maybe fewer Klingons.

There was a good article on this a few months ago. Basically the sound issues people are currently experiencing in a lot of shows is often due to the director/sound editor go for a more "authentic" sound. Basically, what we hear on TV is nothing like reality and the actors have to talk in an exaggerated way for traditional recordings to work (A bit like how stage acting is even more focused on projection). So some actors/directors prefer to use better sound recording and act with natural voices. I can see the allure but ultimately a show with dialogue needs to be understood so a balance has to be struck. The BBC also admitted in some cases it was due to technical mistakes, incidental music tracks being overpowering and mumbly acting (eg Tom Hardy). I've been trying to find the video article but can't find it unfortunately as it did comparisons of the same scenes to highlight this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×