Who is the dumbest POV character?

22 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

Let's just say it wouldn't be shocking if the people you mentioned all died very painful deaths. Dorne is a powder keg and Doran set in motion a chain of events that he won't be able to stop. 

"She (Nymeria) burned as bright as any man and so shall I." probably indicates what Arianne's fate will be, after a brief time in the Sun.

On 10/15/2017 at 5:48 PM, Angel Eyes said:

I agree with the Doran is to blame part. How long was he going to wait to push the match with Viserys? Doran would be throwing Arianne away on a psychopath and by the time Viserys gathers an army (if he can), Arianne would be too old to have children and her line would end. He should have tried Willas Tyrell or Edmure Tully; both are about the same age, a match with Willas could heal the wounds over Willas' injuries received against Oberyn and a match with Edmure could tie the Martells closer to the realm, since Edmure, as a Tully, is connected to the Starks and Arryns.

George populated his world with a large variety of ambitious people.  Doran is not really that dumb but he's way too cautious to be an effective player.  He's like that old professional tennis whose main strategy is just keeping the ball in play and waiting for the opponent to make a mistake.  

On 10/31/2017 at 7:38 PM, Caterina Sforza said:

Aerys? Interesting....why do you find him a tragic figure? Just because he's mad or you think there is a reason behind his madness and that's why?

I agree about Tyrion, although I am not sure where his story is going or much less so the end. Arya too has a big potential but I need more story development for her character to form an opinion. I'm not sure about Jon till I see the ending. My feeling is that he will die but his story can go both ways actually. Idk. 

Aerys couldn't hold together a great dynasty that has ruled for 300 years.  The Usurper and its dogs ruined what's left of his kingdom.  The heir to the kingdom and the ruler of Westeros had to live in exile and suffer plenty of humiliation. 

42 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

George populated his world with a large variety of ambitious people.  Doran is not really that dumb but he's way too cautious to be an effective player.  He's like that old professional tennis whose main strategy is just keeping the ball in play and waiting for the opponent to make a mistake.  

Doran ought discreetly to have been providing funds for Viserys and Daenerys in exile.  A man who was mocked as The Beggar King was always going to struggle.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

Doran ought discreetly to have been providing funds for Viserys and Daenerys in exile.  A man who was mocked as The Beggar King was always going to struggle.

He should have.  Doran is always afraid to stick his neck out and you don't win games that way.  

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

"She (Nymeria) burned as bright as any man and so shall I." probably indicates what Arianne's fate will be, after a brief time in the Sun.

Lady Nym, death by FrankenMountain, I'm thinking. 

48 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

I appreciate your tennis analogy, btw. 

I think this sums up Doran in a nutshell.

"Dorne is the least populous of the Seven Kingdoms. It pleased the Young Dragon to make all our armies larger when he wrote that book of his, so as to make his conquest that much more glorious, and it has pleased us to water the seed he planted and let our foes think us more powerful than we are..." (The Princess in the Tower, AFFC)

For the rest of Westeros, Doran is cautious, reasoned, subtle, deliberate and that's especially true when he is put up against and compared to Oberyn. In Dorne though, people think otherwise. 

Doran talks about how he's been plotting his vengeance against Tywin and all he has to show for is an old piece of parchment. Tywin was going to die of old age before this vengeance was going to happen. Whatever transpired during Jon Arryn's visit that put an end to Oberyn trying to rouse Dorne for Viserys may have been the straw that broke that camel's back. 

4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Knowing these connections Doran has in both Tyrosh and Norvos (he did send Garin and Drey there after all), he could have provided a roof over Viserys and Dany's heads if he didn't want to provide funds, especially after their guardian died. 

That's why Dany didn't feel obligated to marry Q. 

I feel sorry for Viserys having to suffer all of the insults and hardships he has had to. 

On 11/2/2017 at 10:51 AM, SeanF said:

Arrianne messed up with Myrcella.  Her next move is crowning Aegon and that will bring the lions down to Dorne in a hurry.  They won't be friendly.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:44 PM, Wolf's Bane said:

That's why Dany didn't feel obligated to marry Q. 

I feel sorry for Viserys having to suffer all of the insults and hardships he has had to. 

Arrianne messed up with Myrcella.  Her next move is crowning Aegon and that will bring the lions down to Dorne in a hurry.  They won't be friendly.

Well, then they go with Tyene's plan. Didn't she suggest crowning Myrcella and drawing the Lannisters into Dorne, because no one ever wins a war in Dorne?

Archived