Kazuo Ishiguro is Literature Nobel Prize 2017

Pilusmagnus

Kazuo Ishiguro was recently announced as Nobel Prize 2017.

This is a special occasion for this board, since he's an author who actually wrote a fantasy novel two years ago. Maybe next year an actually full-time fantasy writer will get it! :P

Discuss anything regarding this award.

He wrote a vaguely genre novel about clones before that (Never Let Me Go).  But this is as close as the award will get to a true genre writer.  And Ishiguro is not a genre writer.

He deserves it. He's a fine writer. In years past, I've hoped he would win. I don't have a problem with this year's award.

BUT...

As mentioned in the long going Nobel thread (see below), giving the award to Ishiguro this year...the year after the Dylan award...just proves that last year can and should be taken as a middle finger to an entire generation of American writers. Because there's no reason Ishiguro couldn't have been given the prize last year over Dylan. It just makes the Bob Dylan award more insulting in my eyes. I'm mad about the Dylan award all over again. Good job, Academy!

Seriously, though...Ishiguro is great and it's well deserved.  But this also probably closes he door on some other people (Atwood - probably; McEwan - definitely; Rushdie - definitely; Byatt - definitely)...which is sad. Again, not that he doesn't deserve the award. But the odds of giving it to another Brit for awhile are probably pretty remote.

It doesn't seem undeserved to me, in the sense that while his body of work is not large for a writer his age, it's mostly very well received. I've not yet read Buried Giant but the movie versions of Never let me go and Remains of the Day are both so thoroughly excellent that I have to think the source material is very strong as well.

Archived