October 2017 - Ghosts and Monsters and Clowns!

RedEyedGhost

9 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I dunno, how offensive did you find Palmer? I know you hated it, but without spoiling I found the depiction of LGBT people in Baru very disturbing. Once you've read it Foz Meadows has a great write up on it.

I found it completely misogynistic, VERY PROBLEMATIC and appalling.  I'll start it tonight.  If it bugs me, I have "River of Teeth!"  HIPPO MAYHEM!  I am BURNING through @C.T. Phipps Weredeer novel.  There's like, 6 puns on every page. Has the exasperated underdog sister trope that I like.  Is this in the True Blood universe?  

First criticism:  A woman would never refer to herself as "An 'A' cup"

The Traitor was okay when I first started reading it but by the end I came to hate it. I seem to have managed to block out the details of it now though because I have only vague memories of what happens.

Did he ever manage to write a sequel? Not that I want to read it, just curious.

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The Traitor was okay when I first started reading it but by the end I came to hate it. I seem to have managed to block out the details of it now though because I have only vague memories of what happens.

Did he ever manage to write a sequel? Not that I want to read it, just curious.

I think he's writing one, possibly due out soon? It's one of those things I complete forgot about because I think it keeps getting pushed back, like Mark Smythe's  next or the sequel to Throne of The C resent Moon. One of those things I won't believe exists til I see it out in stores.

13 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

I want to join on the Traitor Baru hate train.  Because that book was horrible.  The ending was the biggest 'fuck you' to a reader that I have ever seen.

I've mellowed with this book over time. I found some of the writing to be a bit too on the nose, but I think the ending works for what it is and is actually relatively well foreshadowed. 

3 minutes ago, unJon said:

I've mellowed with this book over time. I found some of the writing to be a bit too on the nose, but I think the ending works for what it is and is actually relatively well foreshadowed. 

My problem with it was 100% that it was in the first person.  We had access to her inner thoughts throughout and still got the big FU at the end.  As an unreliable narrator i never found it convincing; I never felt she was purposely guarding her thoughts from a reader; just that the author had to hide them to make his big reveal work.  

It was clunky as hell and ruined the whole book for me.  Which was a shame because I liked some of the set up and his writing wasn't bad.

I had mixed feeling about Too Like The Lightning but I'm curious enough about what happened that I thought I should read The Seven Surrenders before I'd forgotten the details of the first book. I think it managed to get through two whole chapters before Mycroft started arguing with the reader about his usage of gender pronouns.

I didn't exactly love The Traitor (to use it's UK title), but I didn't ever really understand the degree of hatred for it on this board either.  I don't regret reading it and I'd probably read the sequel.

17 hours ago, unJon said:

I found some of the writing to be a bit too on the nose, but I think the ending works for what it is and is actually relatively well foreshadowed. 

Yeah, this is basically my take.  

The 'twist' ending is foreshadowed pretty thoroughly, and I think it's also basically the only sort of ending that actually makes any narrative sense.

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Was it actually first person?

No.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:24 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Was it actually first person? I don;t remember that, I thought it was limited third. Which is pretty hard to use for the unreliable narrator thing.

(In fact I'd say its impossible and makes zero sense, although I had way more issues with the book then that, but I digress).

Your right, it wasn't 1st person.  I remember having access to Baru's thinking and forgot it was through a third person view.  

But i maintain my stance; the auther gave me access to Baru's thought processes on many events and (I feel) they didnt jibe with the eventual outcome.   Had the narration been completely over the shoulder i would have probably loved the book.

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Was up all night reading Royal Assassin. Been a minute since a book has gripped me like that. 

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Reading N.K. Jemisin's Hundred Thousand Kingdoms at the moment. Enjoying it so far, though it's weird reading it after having read The Broken Earth...you can really see how she has improved her work with experience

2 hours ago, SkynJay said:

Your right, it wasn't 1st person.  I remember having access to Baru's thinking and forgot it was through a third person view.  

But i maintain my stance; the auther gave me access to Baru's thought processes on many events and (I feel) they didnt jibe with the eventual outcome.   Had the narration been completely over the shoulder i would have probably loved the book.

The Discourse kind of warned me off the book (although some of it was an interesting read in its own right) but taking the spoilery plunge and reading the author's own notes on his first few chapters, wherein he talked about how sick and wrong he made his antagonists to show what horrible people they are and how bad their ideas are and how they reflected real world issues, that put the nail into the coffin for good.

I finished a collection of Washington Irving stories, mainly ghost stories, containing:

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Stout Gentleman

Annette Delarbre

The Haunted House

Dolph Heyliger

Rip Van Winkle

Strange Stories by a Nervous Gentleman

The best are Irving's stories set in colonial America, Dutch New York, more specifically. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle being the most famous. I felt Dolph Heyliger was just as good. Perhaps not as playful or teasing as those two more famous works, but entertaining and revealing of the history and culture of Dutch New York and colonial America. I still find The Legend of Sleepy Hollow to be the quintessential Halloween story.

I am over here sharpening my sword.  I have not been able to put this book down.  I'm about 30% through and I've wept twice already.  Author NAILS the feeling of being closeted and how the female gaze makes that really hard.  Pissed at myself for resisting this book for so long, but frankly it might have broken me two years ago.  

21 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

I am over here sharpening my sword.  I have not been able to put this book down.  I'm about 30% through and I've wept twice already.  Author NAILS the feeling of being closeted and how the female gaze makes that really hard.  Pissed at myself for resisting this book for so long, but frankly it might have broken me two years ago.  

We still talking about the weredeer book?

7 minutes ago, unJon said:

We still talking about the weredeer book?

:rofl:  I'm saving that for this post-book letdown.  The weredeer book is very promising for the lift I'll need after something this heavy.  I'm a sucker for puns and teenage girl identity crises.  Provenance was a fun caper so I felt ready for something heavier after finishing it.  Once I get to the meat of Weredeer, I'll devour it in an afternoon.  I need BREAKS for Cormorant to think about what a terrible person I am.  This book HURTS.

Will also say that I am very, VERY proud of all of our boarders with the guts to write.  Y'all know I can barely string together a coherent sentence.  

<3 @C.T. Phipps

Archived