October 2017 - Ghosts and Monsters and Clowns!

RedEyedGhost

5 hours ago, williamjm said:

Bujold's just announced that the next story The Prisoner of Limnos should be out in November, following on from Mira's Last Dance.

For someone who claims to be semi-retired, she's certainly been prolific in publishing these stories.

I had to flip back through Penric and the Shaman to get into Penric's Fox, but I really love this series.  I pushed back River and Murderbot for a day.  Penric's Fox is a murder mystery.  I am really partial to those during times of stress.  I read the entire Julie Smith series one semester.  My boss was ashamed of me.

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

I read Yoon Ha Lee's short story Extracurricular Activities. It was fun to see a young Shuos Jedao doing his best Miles Vorkosigan impression (if Miles happened to be a psychotic assassin).

I need this.  Was it a free story or did you find it in a collection somewhere?  

I suppose ill just google this answer.

8 hours ago, SkynJay said:

I got it as a stand-alone short on Amazon's Kindle store. Wasn't free, but was less than £1.

I read A Reason To Live by Matthew Iden, a noir detective novel.  The protagonist, Marty Singer, is a typical hard-boiled ex-cop but instead of being an alcoholic and/or a reckless rebel and/or an ex-special forces bad-ass, he has been forced to retire early as he battles cancer.  Well written and a pretty good read, but no special quality to make it stand out in a crowded genre. 

Since it has been a long time now since my last medieval fantasy, I picked up Red Knight after seeing PolishGenius' post above.  OK so far. 

On 10/20/2017 at 9:38 PM, SkynJay said:

You can read it online at Tor's website here:  https://www.tor.com/2017/02/15/extracurricular-activities/ I agree that it's pretty great.

I have not had much time to read, but I did decide to continue on with my WoT re-read and started Crossroads of Twilight. I've been dreading this one a bit as I remember it being quite slow and frustrating, but we shall see. :)

I've just started reading Tai-Pan. Shogun was excellent when I read it years ago but I have since become aware Clavell was a big fan of Ayn Rand and given the subject matter of this book I'm a little suspicious of it. I'll have to see how it goes.

In the last month I finally finished the Red Knight, and went through Warbreaker by Sanderson, Dragon Haven, and City of Dragons.  Now I'm reading Blood of Dragons and listening to the audio version of The Fell Sword.

I'm enjoying the Rain Wilds Chronicles much more than I thought I would given the reviews on here.  Each one is better than the last, and while the first one is definitely the weakest, I thought it was still pretty good.  

I'm nearly finished Max Gladstone's fourth Craft Cycle book, Last First Snow. It's good but I'd say not my favourite in the series. I think being a prequel hurts it a bit because we already know from Two Serpents Rise how many things turn out, and the plot itself isn't as interesting as in the other books, although I do like the characters - it's particularly nice to see more from Temoc's perspective who was an intriguing character in Two Serpents Rise and gets more depth here. It's also interesting to see things from Elayne Kevarian's perspective, even if I don't think we learn quite as much new about her.

Just started reading Above the Timberline, an illustrated novel by Greg Manchess, famous artists who has gorgeous fantasy & SF paintings.

https://www.amazon.com/Above-Timberline-Gregory-Manchess/dp/1481459236/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Glorious to look at.

I've also started on the GRRM story in Book of Swords, basically bought the book just because of this story and the Robin Hobb short. Unfortunately this 3rd GRRM story of this kind is far shorter than the first two.

I recently finished Our Lady Of The Ice by Cassandra Rose Clarke, which combines three or four different genres to pretty good effect; not saying which as I think it works better not knowing what they are in advance.   I thought the four central characters were fairly well developed and the plot mostly held together although I found the final third slightly disappointing.

Got a few more things to try to to finish before the end of the month, but I'll probably be reading either Greg Egan's Dichronauts or Brian Catling's The Vorrh first.

Stewart O'Nan's A Prayer for the Dying. Dark and tragic. O'Nan's use of a 2nd-person pov and present tense made the story so much more impressionable. Jacob Hansen is one hell of a memorable character.

1 hour ago, Guinevere Seaworth said:

I haven't posted in a very long time. I am currently reading my first western genre book, Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.  I love it so far!

It's wonderful, isn't it?! It was such an excellent novel with a perfect ending that I've been hesitant to pick up any of McMurtry's other novels in the series for fear of them diminishing my appreciation and love for Lonesome Dove. I would also recommend the tv adaptation of the novel with Robert Duvall as Gus and Tommy Lee Jones as Woodrow. It's an excellent adaptation.

Archived