Aussie Politics: Please post your response (No stamp needed)

Yukle

It would be quite nice to see Dutton turfed out of parliament altogether. His seat is marginal and after these shenanigans, one can hope that there will be a decent swing against him.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:04 PM, chuck norris 42 said:

I had a dream where both the Liberal and Labor changed their rules so leadership challenges could not be done by secret ballot and backroom shenanigins.  

Labor already did that.

On 8/27/2018 at 1:26 PM, Squab said:

ALP leadership vote is still by secret ballot. its now 50% caucus and 50% members.  We get to see the numbers only.

Because this process is in place, it is virtually impossible to change leaders mid-stream.  The membership gets to vote, unlike the Liberal party room having the vote on their own.  The reality of the new system is that the members are likely to revolt against anyone who tries to change mid-stream.

On 8/24/2018 at 6:00 PM, The Drunkard said:

All that for a 'moderate' less personally popular than Turnbull to be PM. 

I think Morrison will probably end up being a more popular leader than Turnbull (the "Mr Harbourside Mansion" thing didn't work well for MT), but it's unlikely that will help him stay in The Lodge for long.

The Wagga by-election on the weekend was pretty nasty for the Liberals in NSW. 

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

I think Morrison will probably end up being a more popular leader than Turnbull (the "Mr Harbourside Mansion" thing didn't work well for MT), but it's unlikely that will help him stay in The Lodge for long.

In a different time, Morrison could have been a legitimate PM. He's held Immigration and Treasury, which are pretty much the two most important posts for a Liberal minister to hold. And while people will have found his detention policies as immigration minister reprehensible, he does have that "daggy average bloke" look to him that I'm sure some spin-masters could work to his advantage and cast him as a friendly bloke anyone would have a beer with.

Of course, it's a poisoned chalice as the Coalition is not going to go anywhere near government in the next term. The test will be whether Morrison can stay opposition leader until the election after that. Historically opposition leaders have not lasted very long, especially ones that led a party to an electoral defeat, although Morrison might get some leeway on that given the circumstances. Bill Shorten being Opposition Leader for 5 years is actually pretty out there as far as stability goes.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

Bill Shorten being Opposition Leader for 5 years is actually pretty out there as far as stability goes.

Abbott was opposition leader for around four years, so there is some recent precendent. But yeah, Labor was generally all over the place during Howard’s reign (Latham!)

I think Morrison could hold on as leader for quite some time - he’s not a terrible unity candidate for the two warring factions.

True, I had forgot Abbott had a lengthy term as Opposition Leader. But between Kim Beazley and Abbott there was a period where they didn't last more than two years. Beazley, Crean, Latham, Beazley again, Rudd, Brendan Nelson (totally forgot about him!), Turnbull, then Abbott and Shorten.

I think after the latest knifing hopefully the Liberal party comes to its senses and lets Morrison stay and return the party to normality again.

13 hours ago, Jeor said:

True, I had forgot Abbott had a lengthy term as Opposition Leader. But between Kim Beazley and Abbott there was a period where they didn't last more than two years. Beazley, Crean, Latham, Beazley again, Rudd, Brendan Nelson (totally forgot about him!), Turnbull, then Abbott and Shorten.

I think after the latest knifing hopefully the Liberal party comes to its senses and lets Morrison stay and return the party to normality again.

Haha yes poor Nelson. Warren Entsch actually wrote in brackets on the petition to oust Turnbull: “for Brendan Nelson”.

Acutally, Nelson was my federal member and I still totally forgot about him.

I read about the Entsch thing - quite funny. And yes, I suppose for all the people pitying Malcolm Turnbull, he got into leading the Liberals by the same method he was ousted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45495675

Harper Nielsen: Australian schoolgirl's national anthem protest

Three thoughts-

- Very disappointed to learn that Australians make children stand for the national anthem, I thought only America engaged in this sort of crap

- Of course there shouldn't be any punishment for the child, and no adults should be calling children names

- Of course her parents are behind all of this, and I agree that it's not ok to use your children like this

Overall, you guys don't come across too well on this one...

6 hours ago, mankytoes said:

Overall, you guys don't come across too well on this one...

Is there anything we come across well on?

In fairness to my countrymen, only around 40% of Australians voted for our crappy anthem in the 1977 plebiscite.

Looks like libs have preselected a guy for Wentworth which is a bit of a surprise considering all the publicity over the lib's gender divide. I kinda hope they lose it in Oct and Turnbull gets the last laugh. Would be a good opportunity for an independent female candidate to run for it IMO.

1 hour ago, Skyrazer said:

Looks like libs have preselected a guy for Wentworth which is a bit of a surprise considering all the publicity over the lib's gender divide. I kinda hope they lose it in Oct and Turnbull gets the last laugh. Would be a good opportunity for an independent female candidate to run for it IMO.

It seems like everyone is waiting to see if Kerryn Phelps (an independent and former president of the AMA) decides to run. If she doesn't, then it will be a Labor male versus a Liberal male (who should be able to connect well with Wentworth's large Jewish community). I would expect the Libs to (just) hold on to the seat in this scenario. 

If Phelps runs, all bets are off. 

Archived