Aussie Politics: Please post your response (No stamp needed)

Yukle

Some classic foreign policy-on-the-run this week with Morrison announcing that the Government is open to shifting its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. Just by coincidence, a large proportion of Australia's Jewish population lives in...Wentworth. 

58 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Some classic foreign policy-on-the-run this week with Morrison announcing that the Government is open to shifting its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. Just by coincidence, a large proportion of Australia's Jewish population lives in...Wentworth. 

So it's about 12.5% Jewish according to the latest census.

I have to wonder about the calculus of that and how it'll play out in the broader game. It ties the Libs firmly to Trumpist policy, and makes the government look desperate. Not sure it'll win more votes than it loses, even in the byelection. 

In other what the hell is happening news the coalition voted in support of a white supremacist slogan in the senate due to an 'administrative error'. Apparently not one coalition senator thought to question voting for a racially charged motion put up by One Nation.

Given the blatant antisemitism that has come out of members of the Coalition in the last year or so I really hope that said community doesn't take a bar of this. This is straight up evangelical American christian style "support" for Israel where they just think the nation of Israel has to be there for the apocalypse to happen rather than actually supporting Jewish people.

Even if that weren't the case you gotta love setting foreign policy over a single by-election when there is ~6months till a general election anyway.

2 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

I have to wonder about the calculus of that and how it'll play out in the broader game. It ties the Libs firmly to Trumpist policy, and makes the government look desperate. Not sure it'll win more votes than it loses, even in the byelection. 

In other what the hell is happening news the coalition voted in support of a white supremacist slogan in the senate due to an 'administrative error'. Apparently not one coalition senator thought to question voting for a racially charged motion put up by One Nation.

That is such a terrible excuse because its so damning even if it were believable, which it is not. They clearly thought open support for white supremacy was going to play better than it did last night.

6 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Ninja'd!

lol. if people here weren't outraged about the Opera House, i would've been more surprised than seeing something projected onto it again. Sure seems to have worked out ok cause in spite of the rain, record turnouts and betting. Media companies are starting to use the streisand effect with more effectiveness

Similarly with "Its ok to be white". It is such a dog whistle. Media and the associated mobs need to come out denouncing it more and more. Like they have but with more vigour. Help the normies in the centre catch up to where identity politics is today so they know that when someone says something as unreasonable as "its ok to be white", they are to be abused and shouted down. And rightly so, those nazis.

Morrison only has to suggest he is going to move the embassy until next week. A week in politics is a long time. Its also a good opportunity for the left to become outraged (still) and explain their thoughts on Israel. That always goes down well in jewish communities.

Well if someone that unironically uses the word "normies" thinks a phrase like "its ok to be white" isn't a racist dog whistle I guess that settles it! What other wisdom will you share with us and is it coming from /r/braincel or 8chan or somewhere else?

It's funny how a less moderate PM can actually start entertaining moderate positions without being shut down by their colleagues on the right. I'm speculating here, but I think the right would have been extremely vocal about the proposed changes to anti-discrimination laws if Turnbull was suggesting them. The same goes for the NZ option in response to indefinite detention - that was apparently raised again at a Liberal party meeting and not shut down.  

Lol karaddin. Stop feeding the squab! 

Well, the Coalition looked like they were starting to get back in the polls but now have botched it with this Jerusalem embassy announcement and their "ok to be white" business. It's like they read this board and decided to prove to me that they are racist after all! At least they've voted it down now, but only after they were called on it.

The embassy thing is silly. Dave Sharma can say what he likes but Scott Morrison should know better than to make policy on the run like that. A more standard fence-sitting response like, "It's not on the agenda but I won't rule anything out" would have served.

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

It's funny how a less moderate PM can actually start entertaining moderate positions without being shut down by their colleagues on the right. I'm speculating here, but I think the right would have been extremely vocal about the proposed changes to anti-discrimination laws if Turnbull was suggesting them. The same goes for the NZ option in response to indefinite detention - that was apparently raised again at a Liberal party meeting and not shut down.  

Lol karaddin. Stop feeding the squab! 

To the first part I noticed the same thing with the transition from Abbott to Turnbull - with a member of the right as the leader they are more aware of the need to not piss off the electorate, Turnbull gave them a (initially) popular moderate face to hide policies behind, so they got more brazen.

To the bolded I just raised an eye at the use of incel language.

8 hours ago, karaddin said:

Given the blatant antisemitism that has come out of members of the Coalition in the last year or so I really hope that said community doesn't take a bar of this.

Just got off the blower with my source inside the ALP campaign for Wentworth and he can confirm that the embassy move was produced by Liberal panic about the erosion of support within that community.

Meanwhile, in Brisbane, the conscience vote on legalising abortion that is not a conscience vote.

The LNP leader publicly said they would get a conscience vote.  Then the branches told all LNP members that if they vote in favour of it they will be disendorsed.

Fuxake.

In a couple of days we'll know whether we're going to have a big general election sooner rather than later. Latest polling looks like Liberals will lose the seat.

To be fair, I can admit that's natural justice. It's ironic that the party turfed out Turnbull but his holding Wentworth was in fact the thing keeping them in power. Plus, Morrison is just a caretaker and should have to face the polls sometime soon, however awful that's going to be for the Libs. The last few months have just been one long self-inflicted wound.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:52 AM, karaddin said:

Superannuation is a scheme that has been warped, its meant to be a pool that you draw down on to pay for your retirement, instead a significant portion of the country has re-conceptualised it as such a large pool of money that you live off the interest/profit on it and never actually touch the total pool. That needs to change.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:28 PM, Jeor said:

I'm not completely sure what to think about superannuation. By definition the tax benefits favour those who can voluntarily contribute more to their own super i.e. the wealthy. However, if pushing more money into super accounts means that there will be fewer people drawing on a full pension, then maybe it's worth it. Given that super only started 25 years ago, there would be a number of people close to retirement that won't have a "fully funded retirement" from their super accounts, so any extra money into super will presumably save a little on these people dipping into a pension. Of course, I don't know the actual numbers so that theory could fall down. And even if my theory holds, the tax benefits should be gradually wound down - and probably the compulsory super rate should be gradually put up. I think I read somewhere that compulsory super really needs to be at around 12-13% over 40 years to grant a sustainable retirement.

Jumping in late here, but I really dislike the idea of making super less appealing as an investment for quite a few reasons. The loss of revenue on concessional earnings is $17 billion a year (last I checked) and the amount spent on pensions is about $50 billion. If you need to suffer the former to reduce the latter, so be it. (there's another $17 billion lost on concessional contributions, but almost everyone  can take advantage of that, not just the wealthy, and a lot of it is just from the standard 9.5%). The existing cap on non-concessional contributions is $100,000 (provided the total amount is < $1.6 million), after which you're taxed at an even greater rate than normal, which is not an unreasonable amount imo. Super needs to be financially advantageous if you want people to delay gratification and prepare themselves such that they won't be taking a pension.

Second reason, if that money isn't being invested into Super, I'm sure most of it ends up in property. The last thing Australia needs is more investment properties. 

Third, the most common reason I read/hear for people (who aren't borderline retired) avoiding super is a fear that either the tax benefits or preservation age will be tampered with. I'm in my early twenties and contribute a little bit extra than the 9.5%, but would probably go all-in on the concessional $25,000 if I wasn't worried about the rules changing. 

Incidentally in 2021 it starts increasing and by 2025 it'll be at 12% (it was going to be earlier but the LNP delayed it for some reason). 

I'm much more in favour of adjusting property taxes. CGT concessions on your PPOR cost $61.5 billion and negative gearing another $5.5 billion. Even a slight adjustment to the former could easily make up for the $17 billion lost on concessional super earnings, would help reduce house prices, and wouldn't make people hesitant to take advantage of a system preparing them for retirement. 

11 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Second reason, if that money isn't being invested into Super, I'm sure most of it ends up in property.

People invest in property to prepare for retirement. Not just "the rich" either.

11 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

I'm much more in favour of adjusting property taxes. CGT concessions on your PPOR cost $61.5 billion and negative gearing another $5.5 billion. Even a slight adjustment to the former could easily make up for the $17 billion lost on concessional super earnings, would help reduce house prices,

So if you have property (either as preparation for the future or take out a morgage to house the family) your plan is to devalue that investment? People who cant afford a house at the moment but can later, probably shouldn't buy a house later cause property has been ruined as an investment. If you really want to reduce housing prices and increase taxes, remove negative gearing completely and and tax concessions. Maybe even increase CGT.  

3 hours ago, Squab said:

People invest in property to prepare for retirement. Not just "the rich" either.

So if you have property (either as preparation for the future or take out a morgage to house the family) your plan is to devalue that investment? People who cant afford a house at the moment but can later, probably shouldn't buy a house later cause property has been ruined as an investment. If you really want to reduce housing prices and increase taxes, remove negative gearing completely and and tax concessions. Maybe even increase CGT.  

I think the existing tax concessions are too generous and would remove them over time. People will always want to buy property because they'll want to own their residence and because it's a simple investment that will almost always grow in value so long as Australia's population keeps increasing. I don't see any reason to make it even more appealing with costly tax concessions when other expenses keep rising. I imagine this would lower prices (or stop them from rising so much) but only while the market readjusts to its new normal. I also think, in the debate about loopholes used to avoid tax, real estate is much more pressing than Super. 

42 minutes ago, The Drunkard said:

I think the existing tax concessions are too generous and would remove them over time. People will always want to buy property because they'll want to own their residence and because it's a simple investment that will almost always grow in value so long as Australia's population keeps increasing. I don't see any reason to make it even more appealing with costly tax concessions when other expenses keep rising. I imagine this would lower prices (or stop them from rising so much) but only while the market readjusts to its new normal. I also think, in the debate about loopholes used to avoid tax, real estate is much more pressing than Super. 

I don't have a particularly strong disagreement with you on this, the biggest thing that I think needs to change with super is the cultural attitude that you live off its interest rather than drawing upon the savings. That cultural change probably isn't coming without some form of change to the system though. Another cultural change is the idea that investment properties are the wise and moral path to personal prosperity and once you have your foot in the door you're entitled to very generous capital gains over the medium term. Its why you have absurd shit like Turnbull acting like not being able to buy an investment property for your 2 year old would be an attack on the Australian idea of a fair go for all.

Archived