Aussie Politics: Please post your response (No stamp needed)

Yukle

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Noting all the policy on the run from this mob, I like to remind myself that it was Cormann who said "wibble wobble, jelly on a plate".

Has there been something new announced today?!

The thing I raised an eyebrow about today was Morrison's decision to send MT to Bali to represent Australia at an environmental conference.

I'd have thought that he would not want to annoy the right-wingers that brought MT down?

Details on the Sydney BWB meet:

Time: 12.30pm Saturday 27th October (if i get a solid number, i'll try to book a table tomorrow)
Venue: The Henson, Marrickville
Attending:
- Horza
- Karaddin
- Brook
- Sh_Wullf + Pup
- The Winged Shadow

Tentative:
- Paxter
- Screaming Turkey
- Morningsword
- Neal

Not attending:
- Jeor (such a ditcher...tsk tsk)
- Stormborne

Not sure who i've missed >_<

Newbies welcome to join us if around Syd at the time. We don't bite. Political views may divide us, but whinging about the last ASOIAF book will surely unite us!

@The Drunkard @Skyrazer @Impmk2 @wallflower @Squab @Artimicia @dornishpen

I'm hopeful of attending (sorry to have been a Jeor-like ditcher recently :P)

An aside: pretty cool speech by Julia Banks in Parliament this afternoon. Obviously would have been even cooler if it was made before she announced she wouldn't contest the next election, but hey, still cool. 

16 minutes ago, chuck norris 42 said:

Can any member of parliament attempt to force  an early election in a hung parliament ?

As I understand it,  there a special bill that calls for an early election that the majority must vote against to prevent 

There's a couple of early election triggers as I understand it: (1) supply - the majority votes against bills that authorise the Government to spend money; (2) confidence - the majority votes in favour of a 'no confidence' motion. Both of these are unlikely at the moment as crossbenchers like Phelps, Sharkie and McGowan have effectively guaranteed both confidence and supply, preventing Labor and Bandt from activating a trigger. 

The 'special bill' you are referring to is probably the latter - a no confidence motion. Losing such a motion would immediately trigger an election. 

ETA: Long story short - it's very likely Morrison will limp on until May. 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

An aside: pretty cool speech by Julia Banks in Parliament this afternoon. Obviously would have been even cooler if it was made before she announced she wouldn't contest the next election, but hey, still cool. 

Did she say she won't contest the next election or she won't contest the next election as a liberal? I'd seen speculation she was going to turn independent and Brook thought the latter was the wording she used.

48 minutes ago, Paxter said:

There's a couple of early election triggers as I understand it: (1) supply - the majority votes against bills that authorise the Government to spend money; (2) confidence - the majority votes in favour of a 'no confidence' motion. 

I need an  "election triggers for dummies"  book 

Section 57 – Disagreement between the Houses

If the House of representatives passes any proposed law, and the Senate rejects or fails to pass it, or passes it with amendments to which the House of Representatives will not agree, and if after an interval of three months the House of Representatives, in the same or the next session, again passes the proposed law with or without any amendments which have been made, suggested, or agreed to by the Senate, and the Senate rejects or fails to pass it, or passes it with amendments to which the House of Representatives will not agree, the Governor-General may dissolve the Senate and the House of Representatives simultaneously. But such dissolution shall not take place within six months before the date of the expiry of the House of Representatives by effluxion of time.

2 hours ago, chuck norris 42 said:

I need an  "election triggers for dummies"  book 

Section 57 – Disagreement between the Houses

If the House of representatives passes any proposed law, and the Senate rejects or fails to pass it, or passes it with amendments to which the House of Representatives will not agree, and if after an interval of three months the House of Representatives, in the same or the next session, again passes the proposed law with or without any amendments which have been made, suggested, or agreed to by the Senate, and the Senate rejects or fails to pass it, or passes it with amendments to which the House of Representatives will not agree, the Governor-General may dissolve the Senate and the House of Representatives simultaneously. But such dissolution shall not take place within six months before the date of the expiry of the House of Representatives by effluxion of time.

This is the double dissolution trigger - it doesn’t work automatically to cause an early election (note the words “may” in the GG’s power). MT used this section to trigger the last election at his discretion a few years ago.

By contrast, the two triggers I mentioned in my earlier post are more or less automatic. They also depend only on the Lower House, while the trigger quoted above requires disagreement between both Houses.

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

Hey hey hey...you need to miss like ten meetups in a row before you can claim to be a Jeor-like ditcher!

I think this government will limp on for a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns ugly quickly.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:23 AM, karaddin said:

Has there been something new announced today?!

It was the announcement that they couldn't get their amendments through about the protections for LGBTI kids at religious schools in the time period that Scomo initially promised.

Time: 12.30pm Saturday 27th October
(Table booked under Rashid if you get there around 12.30, i might get there a little later thanks to stupid trackwork)
Attending:
- Horza
- Karaddin
- Brook
- Sh_Wullf + Pup
- The Winged Shadow
- Paxter
- Screaming Turkey + friend

Tentative:
- Morningsword
- Neal

Not attending:
- Stormborne
- BeeTrix

New peeps are welcome as well! It's been a while since we've got some new blood in the group (surprised at the lack of Floobs tbh). 

22 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

(Table booked under Rashid if you get there around 12.30, i might get there a little later thanks to stupid trackwork)
Attending:
- Horza
- Karaddin
- Brook
- Sh_Wullf + Pup
- The Winged Shadow
- Paxter

Tentative:
- Morningsword
- Neal

Not attending:
- Stormborne
- BeeTrix

New peeps are welcome as well! It's been a while since we've got some new blood in the group (surprised at the lack of Floobs tbh). 

Ill be arriving after 1 pm I have an appointment at 1230.

On 10/26/2018 at 1:11 PM, The Winged Shadow said:

Attending:
- Horza
- Karaddin
- Brook
- Sh_Wullf + Pup
- The Winged Shadow
- Paxter

Tentative:
- Morningsword
- Neal

Not attending:
- Stormborne
- BeeTrix

Hope you all had/are still having a good time in Sydney.

Archived