Aussie Politics: Please post your response (No stamp needed)

Yukle

• 2 weeks later...

The Libs were absolutely trounced in Saturday’s election. You always have to be careful drawing too many conclusions from State politics, but surely there’d be some uncomfortable Federal MPs out there (I’m thinking particularly of the likes of Cormann, who were 50:50 on the Turnbull dumping).

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

The Libs were absolutely trounced in Saturday’s election. You always have to be careful drawing too many conclusions from State politics, but surely there’d be some uncomfortable Federal MPs out there (I’m thinking particularly of the likes of Cormann, who were 50:50 on the Turnbull dumping).

My take on it is that they still don't give the electorate enough credit for thinking about stuff.

And that should worry the fuck out of the Federal backbenchers.

Yeah I think that’s spot on. And we have seen that even in places like Queensland, where the One Nation vote was lower than expected in the election earlier this year.

Same sex marriage is another good example of rational, educated thinking triumphing easily over conservatism and prejudice.

Libs definitely in trouble. I'm thinking (and hoping) it's more likely than ever Dutton will lose his seat. He only held it marginally to begin with, and there will be enough disgusted Liberals in his electorate to turn on him and ensure he doesn't get reelected.

To be honest, and I'm saying this as a general Coalition voter, it's probably not a bad thing to go through a wipeout of a federal election. The crazies need to get dumped and the ballot box might be the only way to reshape the party (in opposition there are sure to be more resignations) and they start over again with fresh blood.

Plus, the current version of Labor will probably be a reasonably competent government with stable leadership (Shorten being in place for a while now) so as far as the country's concerned, this is as good a time as any for the Coalition to take an enforced timeout and get its house in order.

2 hours ago, Jeor said:

Libs definitely in trouble. I'm thinking (and hoping) it's more likely than ever Dutton will lose his seat. He only held it marginally to begin with, and there will be enough disgusted Liberals in his electorate to turn on him and ensure he doesn't get reelected.

To be honest, and I'm saying this as a general Coalition voter, it's probably not a bad thing to go through a wipeout of a federal election. The crazies need to get dumped and the ballot box might be the only way to reshape the party (in opposition there are sure to be more resignations) and they start over again with fresh blood.

Plus, the current version of Labor will probably be a reasonably competent government with stable leadership (Shorten being in place for a while now) so as far as the country's concerned, this is as good a time as any for the Coalition to take an enforced timeout and get its house in order.

Just watching QandA where Eric Abetz is trying to blame it all on Malcolm Turnbull - for deciding to put the leadership to a ballot! Nothing to do with the plotters against him apparently. There is really no evidence that the right wing of the Libs has any capacity for rational self-reflection. I'm very much a Labor voter, so not unbiased, but I don't think it's any secret that the current government lacks competency or cohesion. The fact that the attempt at 'dog-whistling' on race and immigration fell flat in Victoria is very encouraging.

She couldn’t have timed it better either - I’m giving decent odds Laundy will be next. 

I think they’ll make it to the election now, we’re close enough that none of the cross-benchers are going to want to take the fall for “bringing down the government”

They’ll have to be seriously worried about how they are going to even fund an effective campaign now. So many seats they would have considered safe they are now going to have to fight for (especially if more independents stand up) and they no longer have Mal to bail them out...

5 hours ago, brook said:

They’ll have to be seriously worried about how they are going to even fund an effective campaign now. So many seats they would have considered safe they are now going to have to fight for (especially if more independents stand up) and they no longer have Mal to bail them out...

The next election really is a lost cause. The real question is whether the Coalition will move more right-wing to try and hang onto a smaller hard core (hope not) or whether they'll try to start with a clean slate and more moderate, common-sense policies.

I think it's probably likely they'll go for the first hardcore option for the election, get wiped out, and then hopefully move to a more moderate side - ironically, arriving at a Turnbull-lite position (though probably not quite as moderate as him).

And the coalition are openly threatening to refer people to the high court on section 44 if they refer Dutton (the only case of all these that actually falls afoul of the spirit/intent) which betrays a rather corrupt line of reasoning. If they think those people are in violation they should be referred regardless, if they don't they shouldn't use it as a threat. Particularly amusing that they don't necessarily have the numbers to even do that though.

They've also set only 13 sitting days in the next 6 months because apparently they think looking like they aren't doing their job is a good look heading into an election.

There are just so many self inflicted wounds, they are out of touch not just with the general electorate but even with the general right leaning base in this country.

Hey Perth BwBers.  We are looking at a little get-together in January (on Australia Day due to the availability of our guest of honour, Neal).

noobs that want to meet some like-minded nerdy folks are welcome to attend.  Please let me know if you are keen. :)

I worry that Dutton will use the upcoming Liberal loss as a way to grab power (depicting Morrison is "centre" relative to his stooges).

I also hope that is the case because there is no way in hell he wins any election.

But then I worry that Australia will do a brexit/trump and he will somehow get elected.....

Dutton's sorta finished, imo.

Even without an s44ing he's on a tight margin in Dickson and his prospects of becoming Opposition Leader after the Coalition gets bodied in May are terrible given that he's the champion of the boofhead wing and its credibility as voice of the Silent Majority is suddenly in question. If he somehow managed win over the survivors there's also the fact that he's got no record of appealing to anyone who isn't rusted on.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just learned what democracy sausages are. Why are they not a thing everywhere? 

Sadly they aren’t universal across the country. They certainly were not a thing in my home electorate in WA.

On 12/1/2018 at 4:39 PM, Paxter said:

Sadly they aren’t universal across the country. They certainly were not a thing in my home electorate in WA.

Must have been your polling booth, Pax.  The charity running the snags at our last vote sold out before 10am at ours.

Archived