1 more book after winds of winter?

manchester_babe

Officially, there's just The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

Of course GRRM has expanded on his plans multiple times. Originally, the whole thing was going to be a trilogy of normal-sized books. He says he really means it this time, but this isn't the first time he's said that. Of course he's also learned that he can get away with turning in oversized manuscripts that only fit in 1000 pages using small print and small margins, and even that 1000 pages isn't an ironclad rule, so…

Anyway, there are many threads here speculating on whether he really will be able to finish the series in only seven books. Here's the most recent one.

Meanwhile, besides the 7 (or however many) books there are in the main series, he's also planning on 9-12 Dunk & Egg novellas, of which he's only written the first 3, and at least 2 parts of the in-universe history of the Targaryens Fire & Blood, of which he's only written most of book 1 (2 parts of which have been edited and released as short stories, with a third coming soon), and who knows if World of Ice and Fire and Land of Ice and Fire are the last of his world-building collaborations, and he's said he might be interested in writing other stories in other places and times within the same world, and I'm sure once one of the prequel HBO series gets going that'll inspire him in other directions… So, he's probably going to be writing this world until he dies.

The plan is to have two more books after book 5 but I read somewhere that GRRM remains open to writing an 8th book. However, it's taking longer and longer to write each new book It's been more than 6 years (I checked the release date of book 5) since the release the last book and the time between book 3 and 4 was 3 years longer than the previous 2 year gaps of the first 3 books. Book 5 took even longer than book 4.

If book 6 is released in 2018, that makes it 7 years. If book 7 takes longer also and then GRRM decides to make it 8 books, get ready for this: The last book will be released in 2035!

There is definitely A Dream of Spring after The Winds of WInter. However, if either or both books end up having far too many pages, they might need to split it three ways.

Frankly, I just want GRRM to actually get it done.

1 hour ago, Ordos said:

If book 6 is released in 2018, that makes it 7 years. If book 7 takes longer also and then GRRM decides to make it 8 books, get ready for this: The last book will be released in 2035!

This is frightening. I'll take the ending of the u know what. Even they may be delaying which is a pisser.

Archived