The Most Disappointing ending.

JesseKerkhof

So, I had a weid thought cross my mind, I was under the influence and I was thinking about the planet that Westeros, Ulthos, Sothoryos, and Essos were on.
My thought was that the planet on wich Westeros etc. was based, was actually in our universe. And that the story would end with humans travelling to it and defeating the Others with modern day weapons, yeah, pretty disappointing. So, what are your thoughts, what would be the most disappointing endind for A Song of Ice and Fire?

For me, it would be a typical "Humans Bad, Nature Good" scenario. I find the "we are the real monsters" plot thread pretty tiresome because it's been done to death at this point, and was really massive in the 80s and 90s when I was growing up. And I mean, the horse is not only dead; it's a dust.

Oh!

Also, the "It's All Bran's Vision/Dream" theory. Again, cliche. Please, no.

Most disappointing would be the same ending as the Matrix: you know it's all going to happen again and the heroes had no real impact except to perpetuate the cycle. 

Anyone play Final Fantasy? I'd much rather a FFX end: ending the recurring threat of the Others and even the messed up seasons in a more final way. 

19 minutes ago, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

Let's not kid ourselves. There will be no ending.

WOW is probably being released in 2019, 8 years after DWD. And there should be 2 more books after that, so the series will be finished in 2030-2040. 40 years after AGOT.

The only main asoiaf book that will come after The Winds of Winter is A Dream of Spring.

58 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

I wouldn't want magic to completely disappear. There should be some room left for a potential future conflict.

Oh, yes. That would bum me out too. It might also be a little too much of a parallel to LOTR, too.

No ending would be the worst ending especially as Martin has said he doesn't want anyone else touching it when he's gone.However, I'm not too worried about the novels not getting done. I have this feeling that WoW is already done but he's waiting for the TV series to finish before publishing. If that's true he'll already have been working on ADoS so it shouldn't be too many years later. It seemed almost certain that WoW was going to be published in 2016. I even read stories about the book being sent off for translation and stuff like that. Then all of a sudden it was nowhere near finished and would take at least 2 more years? Seems far fetched to me.

On a side note why do some people hate the idea that Planetos used to be a highly advanced civilisation? It makes total sense to me I spotted the possibility on my first read. Not that I think it's going to matter to the story but I've seen many people say that would be the worst ending imaginable. I think it would be cool.

My worst ending is that Jon is the reincarnation of Azor Ahai and he's going to save the day and prophecies are all true and he's going to ride a unicorn and beat the night king in single combat and marry Dany and live happily ever after. I think that would make me vomit.

7 hours ago, JesseKerkhof said:

So, I had a weid thought cross my mind, I was under the influence and I was thinking about the planet that Westeros, Ulthos, Sothoryos, and Essos were on.
My thought was that the planet on wich Westeros etc. was based, was actually in our universe. And that the story would end with humans travelling to it and defeating the Others with modern day weapons, yeah, pretty disappointing. So, what are your thoughts, what would be the most disappointing endind for A Song of Ice and Fire?

Christ, there are two more books to be written (if he gets to them) so why do you want to think about how disappointing it might be?  

1 hour ago, Banner Without Brothers said:

My worst ending is that Jon is the reincarnation of Azor Ahai and he's going to save the day and prophecies are all true and he's going to ride a unicorn and beat the night king in single combat and marry Dany and live happily ever after. I think that would make me vomit.

Ditto.

My fear is thar it will end the same way as the thing that shall not be named.  I cannot bear that Dumb and Dumber get to not only know it, but show it first.

There are a lot of worst endings for this story.   Assuming the tale will be told in full, because really HBO giving us our only ending would really be worst, all those shippers endings would be both shocking and disappointing.   Not understanding the Others' motives, everyone dying for no reason at all, myriad mysteries unresolved, Jon not getting to deal with his true identity, Sansa ruling the world, Little Finger getting away with everything he's pulled.  Anyone's dream is a nightmare.  

ASOIAF is an intricate, masterfully woven fantasy.  Any ending that isn't George RR Martin's would be deeply unsatisfying.   

The problem is that we are likely never to get an ending.

If the author had not been so obsessed with frivolous details, the 3-5 year gap would have happened, and the next book would have been the last.

Instead we get an entire book of useless fillers (Feast for Crows), and another book with elements few care about (Argon, Mereen, etc.)

There are three books left, I don't think we'll ever get an ending.

Archived