U.S. Politics: Can't Stand It, I Know Ya Planned It, Gotta Set It Straight this Morongate

Manhole Eunuchsbane

The sad part is I think impeachment is the only way we rid ourselves of him. I just don't see the any 2020 contender that can do it: Bernie and Biden will both be pushing 80 in 2020, Warren while loved by the base is a rw redmeat machine, Booker is hated by Bernie's side worse than Hillary, Cuomo same as Booker and with corruption scandals to boot, Jerry Brown like Bernie and Biden is going to be 80 and Newsom has no interest, Terry McAuliffe is a Clinton buddy and not that charismatic, Steve Bullock on paper looks good but is only known by politcal junkies like me, and Kambla Harris on paper like Bullock looks good but is going to have primary problems building a base with Warren and Bernie both likely running. 

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Bernie has no chance cause hes Jewish. Which is sad and disturbing and terrible, but thats how this country is right now.

I don't know. I don't think Bernie has a chance because he's old. The Democrats need young blood, and he's not winning as anything else but as a Democrat. We've had a black president, which is great and glad it happened. Shows progress made in this country. Then we have a reality t.v. show host, bigot, racist (everyone close to him says he's not the swear, his actions and words tell a different story), and about any other negative thing you could think to say, as a POTUS. I think a Jewish president is just as likely as any other minority. I wonder, you know how people hide things, like being Jewish, if there already hasn't been a POTUS that had some Jewish ancestry in him already. I'm sure there has been.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Shortly after the election I posted an article about an interview with Howard Stern. He and Trump used to be really close, but he said their friendship soured after Trump did a complete 180 on his views (in the interview he said that Trump had always been fairly liberal, except on taxes and regulations, which makes sense for a rich businessman). Anyways, he predicted that Trump wouldn't make it through the term, specifically because he would have some type of mental breakdown and either resign or engage in self destructive behaviors. It seems like HS was spot on. And he said this would happen because Trump, at his core, just wants to be loved by everyone, and that that is simply not possible in politics, especially when your political style is to be as divisive as possible (he also intimated that this divisive nature was a new trait in Trump. He recognized that Trump had always been petty and vindictive, but he never saw Trump behave like the way he is now).

You did not need to actually know Trump to predict this, to be fair.

Two questions for the near future:

Will Mitch convince Grassley to get rid of the blue slip, opening the path for all good Americans to be presided over by right-wing bloggers in the courtrooms for decades to come?

What will Susan Collins announce this weekend? A switch to independent or just a boring old run for governorship? (It's a run for governorship.) Apparently Maine allows her to choose her own successor if she doesn't resign outright, but if she does, her replacement only serves until the next statewide general election, which would be good news for Democrats.

All this excitement and more to come in the political fight of a lifetime that is the Trump Age!

1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

Will Mitch convince Grassley to get rid of the blue slip, opening the path for all good Americans to be presided over by right-wing bloggers in the courtrooms for decades to come?

I'm frankly surprised the blue slip has lasted as long as it has.  We don't know, btw, how or how often it's been observed since the 1980s, but yeah Senatorial courtesy seems like an oxymoron at this point.

What will Susan Collins announce this weekend? A switch to independent or just a boring old run for governorship?

Just been reported she's running for governor.  Her choosing her own replacement is interesting.  Would think the Maine GOP actually has a bigger problem with that than the Dems.

What is the blue slip?  I don't think I've ever heard of this.

25 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Just been reported she's running for governor.  Her choosing her own replacement is interesting.  Would think the Maine GOP actually has a bigger problem with that than the Dems.

Actually no. She just gave a long speech (think Bill Clinton length) about whether she would run, and at the end announced she would stay in the Senate.

For the best actually. It seems like based on how the timing would work out if she won and had to resign to take the Gov. oath of office, LePage would name her Senate replacement; and that replacement would get to stay until the 2020 election. Better for her to have that seat instead of two years (minimum) of whatever terrible person LePage would pick; and hopefully a Democrat or liberal-leaning independent (happens a lot in Maine) wins the Gov race.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

Actually no. She just gave a long speech (think Bill Clinton length) about whether she would run, and at the end announced she would stay in the Senate.

Yeah that's a weird way to announce you're not running.  Just put out a statement.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

It seems like based on how the timing would work out if she won and had to resign to take the Gov. oath of office, LePage would name her Senate replacement; and that replacement would get to stay until the 2020 election.

Hm.  Not sure about that.  Since she's in the midst of her Senate term, pretty sure she could resign immediately before taking the governor's oath, then appoint her own.  Meh, question's moot anyway.  Certainly would rather have her (or her pick for that matter) than LePage's.

42 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

What is the blue slip?  I don't think I've ever heard of this.

The history of the (Senate) blue slip:

The blue-slip process had its genesis in the Senate tradition of senatorial courtesy. Under this informal custom, the Senate would refuse to confirm a nomination unless the nominee had been approved by the home-state Senators of the President’s party. The Senate Committee on the Judiciary created the blue slip (so called because of its color) out of this practice in the early 1900s. Initially, the blue slip permitted Senators, regardless of party affiliation, to voice their opinion on a President’s nomination to a district court in their state or to a circuit court judgeship traditionally appointed from their home state. Over the years, the blue slip has evolved into a tool used by Senators to delay, and often times prevent, the confirmation of nominees they find objectionable.

30 minutes ago, Fez said:

For the best actually. It seems like based on how the timing would work out if she won and had to resign to take the Gov. oath of office, LePage would name her Senate replacement; and that replacement would get to stay until the 2020 election. Better for her to have that seat instead of two years (minimum) of whatever terrible person LePage would pick; and hopefully a Democrat or liberal-leaning independent (happens a lot in Maine) wins the Gov race.

As far as I can tell, Maine would allow the replacement to sit only until the next statewide general election, ie. the governor's race in 2018, so it might have been worth it for Dems. But irrelevant now.

10 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I don't know. I don't think Bernie has a chance because he's old. The Democrats need young blood, and he's not winning as anything else but as a Democrat. We've had a black president, which is great and glad it happened. Shows progress made in this country. Then we have a reality t.v. show host, bigot, racist (everyone close to him says he's not the swear, his actions and words tell a different story), and about any other negative thing you could think to say, as a POTUS. I think a Jewish president is just as likely as any other minority. I wonder, you know how people hide things, like being Jewish, if there already hasn't been a POTUS that had some Jewish ancestry in him already. I'm sure there has been.

Isn't Judaism a religion?  Is 'Jewish ancestry' just that you have ancestors that practiced Judaism?  How is that in any way meaningful?

6 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

As far as I can tell, Maine would allow the replacement to sit only until the next statewide general election, ie. the governor's race in 2018, so it might have been worth it for Dems. But irrelevant now.

Yes, that's correct according to the NCSL:

In the following 36 states, the governor makes an appointment to fill a U.S. Senate vacancy, and the appointee serves until the next regularly-scheduled, statewide general election.

I think what Fez was referring to the timing insofar as Collins would have to resign from the Senate before taking the governor's oath, which would enable a lame-duck LePage to make the appointment that would fill the vacancy until the next statewide election.  As I said, I'm not too sure about how that would work because presumably Collins could wait to resign until the day she took office.

21 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

If Collins had run, she would presumably keep her senate seat until the day she had to take the governor's oath; which would be after the 2018 election. So the next general election would've been the 2020.

11 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yes, that's correct according to the NCSL:

I think what Fez was referring to the timing insofar as Collins would have to resign from the Senate before taking the governor's oath, which would enable a lame-duck LePage to make the appointment that would fill the vacancy until the next statewide election.  As I said, I'm not too sure about how that would work because presumably Collins could wait to resign until the day she took office.

Even if she resigned literally one minute before taking the oath of office, that would leave one minute where there was a senate vacancy and LePage was still governor. Which means he could be sitting there, with appointment documentation already drawn up for her senate vacancy, and sign it in that one minute. 

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

Even if she resigned literally one minute before taking the oath of office, that would leave one minute where there was a senate vacancy and LePage was still governor. Which means he could be sitting there, with appointment documentation already drawn up for her senate vacancy, and sign it in that one minute. 

That sounds possible if not probable, I'm just not as sure as you are on how the official appointment process would work in such situation in Maine.  

8 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

That sounds possible if not probable, I'm just not as sure as you are on how the official appointment process would work in such situation in Maine.  

I also wouldn't put it past LePage to just try and bully through his own appointment whenever he could.

Archived