Jack Ryan - Amazon Prime Series

Rhom

Finished, not as good as season 1. Mostly ok, I'd say. Took a dive at the end, for sure, and they decided to go deep with the classic spy thriller stuff early on, but then moved all over the place.

A WTF moment for me was

Spoiler

Mattice getting killed off. That was a twist not by narrative standards, but by the fact the actor had been promoted to series regular, and then they killed his character off, not even making in the entire season. Weird

Of course, the real twist was

Spoiler

teasing us with Arnold Voslo playing the typical villain he plays, and then turns out not really.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

And really? Americans storming the capital of another country without orders and nothing bad happens to them? Now all is well with Venezuela and in D.C. What era are we in back there in D.C.? Who is running the show? Really, no presidential briefing?  Though these days on the Hill and in the White House, who the eff knows -- anything can happen or not happen, and since there's no address for this, the entire production is a mess and makes no sense.  Cardboard cut-outs for both characters and actions.

Repeat these words after me: America first. :P

7 hours ago, maarsen said:

Still watchin but mostly because my wife seems to be enjoying it. I have to say the so-called Special Forces soldiers are more like Special Needs Forces because they come across as so incompetent. 

Are you talking about the Americans or the Venezuelans that went after them? I don't claim any expertise, but I didn't see anything wrong or at least worse than in any other fictional production.

I am still wondering where went the blonde doctor girlfriend from season 1.

They killed

Spoiler

a DOGGIE!

They repeated

Spoiler

the happy family reunion etc. as finale in both seasons, didn't they even though nobody cares about the fate of the assassinated assassin's daughter, er, um,  plot device.

The only thing I've watched lately that approaches this level implausibility, hand wavium and preposterosity is the second season of Killing Eve. :P

Spoiler

I just hope when Gloria B is inaugurated she sings, "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina." :P  And her husband shoots her because she didn't get killed and got to be la Presidente.

Yeah, I thought season 2 was pretty terrible and very disappointing. Beyond it's slightly odd tone the plot really doesn't make any sort of sense and there was far too much of Jack Ryan running around shooting people and not enough of him being an analyst.

Spoiler

Beyond the plot as a whole not making much sense wtf is going on with the the five of them just deciding off the cuff to attack the Presidential Palace of another country. Really?

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, I thought season 2 was pretty terrible and very disappointing. Beyond it's slightly odd tone the plot really doesn't make any sort of sense and there was far too much of Jack Ryan running around shooting people and not enough of him being an analyst.

Hide contents

Beyond the plot as a whole not making much sense wtf is going on with the the five of them just deciding off the cuff to attack the Presidential Palace of another country. Really?

Spoiler

And surely even poor Venezuela must have enough of an air force to intercept an unknown helicopter heading towards the presidential palace.

I haven't finished yet but without reading the stuff in spoiler tags I get the impression we all think this season is not very good. @Martini Sigil I couldn't agree more, they forget he is an analyst first and foremost. It's like they only remind us of this when he calls that one guy who has the aftermarket shoe business idea.

I tried to watch season 2, made it almost all the way through the first two episodes, and then I just got angry and shut it off. It sucks soooo bad. Nothing makes sense. And, oh god, it's so damn boring. The character was mildly interesting in season 1 but now he's just this overly tall, obnoxious american that has absolutely no idea how to be a spy. There's no subtlety to the character or really any part of the show. It just sucks. It's absolutely terrible. Amazon should be ashamed. 

On 11/14/2019 at 8:05 AM, red snow said:

I've seen four episodes and it's weaker than season one but still watchable. The villain is weaker and there's less of a "threat". Venezuela makes a different setting though.

Except, of course, it isn't Venezuela in any shape or form or even location! 

Where did you read I said that? What I am saying is that just as the locations are as phony a Venezuela as the ish that the so-called Venezuelans speak, so is everything else, such as plot, narrative and characters, unconnected to anything specifically Venezuela today.

Venezuela is in really bad shape in so many ways in reality, but that's not what we saw.  People talk about having to keep eating ham, but they are eating. And everyone looks normal, healthy. This just isn't the case for a very large proportion of the very skinny population, as just one instance.

IOW there was no reason in script or any other part of the series to say they are in Venezuela.  It's just some generic banana republic of Latin American of the bad old days, or what seems to be returning in these new bad days, with the current events of Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Peru, Argentina.

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

Except, of course, it isn't Venezuela in any shape or form or even location! 

The setting of the story is what i meant but from your above post it does seem to be very insensitive to essentially gloss over what's a much more serious problem in reality.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:45 AM, dooog said:

Hard to put into words how laughably terrible this was.  Season 1 wasn't without it's many faults but it was still enjoyable. This however... it was fucking godawful bad

Yes, if it's going to be this silly just bring Jack Bauer back. Characters just floated in and out, I'd have thought Rapace would get a better role.

Some of the films and presumably the books have been good. I'd have thought they'd just do contemporary adaptations

Archived