Wow, I never noticed that v.16

48 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Baelish has, for as far as a quick search has turned up, not been associated with purple directly. However, Baelish is of Braavosi descent, and the Braavosi ships are known for their purple sails, so there might indeed be a connection.

I only found this in ACoK, Tyrion IV:

Lord Petyr was seated on his window seat, languid and elegant in a plush plum-colored doublet and a yellow satin cape, one gloved hand resting on his knee. "The king is fighting hares with a crossbow," he said. "The hares are winning. Come see."

and:

"Plum and yellow. Are those the colors of your House?"
"No. But a man gets bored wearing the same colors day in and day out, or so I've found."

Plum is dark purple. Just another hint of Strangler color or something more?

This has probably been mentioned before but:

I just re-read the series and something caught my eye.

The Elder Brother of Quiet Isle tells a story of the Inn at the Crossroads, about how back during the 1st Blackfyrd Rebellion the inn bore a black dragon on its sign.

When a passing Targaryen supporter saw this he had it removed, broken into pieces and thrown in the Trident.

“One of the dragon’s heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust.”

So: a black dragon floats down a river and comes out red on the other end.

This seems to foreshadow Aegon VI’s identity as a Blackfyre, because he would also be a black dragon (Blackfyre) who floated down a river and came out red (Targaryen).

I doubt I’m the first to pick up on this but thought I’d share it here

22 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I've been re-reading some of Cersei's AFFC chapters, and there are some small details that help convey just how erratic she is. In Cersei VII, Qyburn informs Cersei and the others about Euron's pillage of the Shield Islands:

On the next page, Cersei mentions the possibility of an alliance between Stannis and the Ironborn:

Despite having just been told that Euron is Balon's brother, Cersei has already forgotten and refer's to him as Balon's son. The lack of knowledge regarding the Greyjoys was also noted earlier in the book, in Cersei IV:

Assuming that Euron pulls off whatever he has planned out west, I suspect this dismissal with come back to haunt Cersei.

Later on in Cersei VII, we see her speak with a man who claims to have brought her Tyrion's head:

Then after seeing the severed head, she says:

The second quote also shows how woefully inadequate Qyburn is. 

12 hours ago, Darion Storm said:

This has probably been mentioned before but:

I just re-read the series and something caught my eye.

The Elder Brother of Quiet Isle tells a story of the Inn at the Crossroads, about how back during the 1st Blackfyrd Rebellion the inn bore a black dragon on its sign.

When a passing Targaryen supporter saw this he had it removed, broken into pieces and thrown in the Trident.

So: a black dragon floats down a river and comes out red on the other end.

This seems to foreshadow Aegon VI’s identity as a Blackfyre, because he would also be a black dragon (Blackfyre) who floated down a river and came out red (Targaryen).

I doubt I’m the first to pick up on this but thought I’d share it here

That you are not the first to find it makes no matter. That you found it does. Are you familiar with the Moments of Foreshadowing threads? And you might find this old thread of interest, or not. 

On 12/4/2017 at 7:38 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Wow, I never noticed that Winterfell itself is a heart tree...

To a boy, Winterfell was a grey stone labyrinth of walls and towers and courtyardsand tunnels spreading out in all directions. In the older parts of the castle, thehalls slanted up and down so that you couldn’t even be sure what floor you were on. The place had grown over the centuries like some monstrous stone tree, Maester Luwintold him once, and its branches were gnarled and thick and twisted, its roots sunkdeep into the earth.

Bran II, Game 8

So I always found this super interesting because Bran is in the crypts when he manages to reach out to Jon in ACOK and opens his third eye. So if Winterfell reminds Bran of a heart tree, then what does that make the crypts? The roots that are sunken deep into the earth?

49 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

So I always found this super interesting because Bran is in the crypts when he manages to reach out to Jon in ACOK and opens his third eye. So if Winterfell reminds Bran of a heart tree, then what does that make the crypts? The roots that are sunken deep into the earth?

Like the Cave of the Three-Eyed Crow and other hollow hills. 

28 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Like the Cave of the Three-Eyed Crow and other hollow hills. 

Yup. My thoughts go straight to Bloodraven's cave (the magic there), the enthroned singers who look dead, but open their eyes and follow the light of the torch in Bran III, Dance, which in turn reminds me of Ned in the crypts in Eddard IV, Game 4, feeling the eyes of the dead.

This has probably been briught up before, but it is the first time I have noticed it.

Cat is very hypocritical. 

“Aye, my lady.” Lord Rickard Karstark pushed past the Greatjon, like some grim specter with his black mail and long ragged grey beard, his narrow face pinched and cold. “And I have one son, who once had three. You have robbed me of my vengeance.” Catelyn faced him calmly.

“Lord Rickard, the Kingslayer’s dying would not have bought life for your children. His living may buy life for mine.”

Then later, in the same chapter!

From the way Robb looked at her, she could tell that it had been a long while since anyone had dared speak to him so bluntly. “When they told me Winterfell had fallen, I wanted to go north at once,” he said, with a hint of defensiveness. “I wanted to free Bran and Rickon, but I thought … I never dreamed that Theon could harm them, truly. If I had …”

“It is too late for ifs, and too late for rescues,” Catelyn said. “All that remains is vengeance.” 

It is amazing that in both situations two sons were killed. 

I

Look, a song of ice and fire...

Tyrion pulled out the stopper, tilted his head, and squeezed a long stream into his mouth. The wine was cool fire as it trickled down his throat and warmed his belly. He held out the skin to Jon Snow. "Want some?"

Tyrion II, Game 13

II

He walked towards the water, and discovered an almost dry spot beneath the leaning daub-and-wattle wall of a tumbledown cottage that had mostly tumbled down.

Jon V, Storm 41

Now that’s as descriptive as it gets.

I

Hmm... When Catelyn is despairing over Bran inCatelyn III, Game 14, she thinks of Maester Luwin as a grey rat. We would not see that term applied to maesters again until Barbrey Dustin opened the Citadel conspiracy theory floodgates in The Prince of Winterfell, Dance 37.

II

Theon Greyjoy put a hand on the hilt of his blade and said, "My lady, if it comes to that, my House owes yours a great debt."

Catelyn III, Game 14

Poor Theon... The George has really written a very complex character in Clash and Dance. I hope we get more in Winds. 

I

Compare this...

Sansa knew all about the sorts of people Aryaliked to talk to: squires and grooms and serving girls, old men and naked children, rough-spoken freeriders of uncertain birth. Arya would make friends with anybody. This Mycah was the worst; a butcher's boy, thirteen and wild, he slept in the meat wagon and smelled of the slaughtering block. Just the sight of him was enough to make Sansa feel sick, but Arya seemed to prefer his company to hers.

Sansa I, Game 14

To this...

As she neared the center of camp, her distress was quickly forgotten. A crowd had gathered around the queen's wheelhouse. Sansa heard excited voices buzzing like a hive of bees. The doors had been thrown open, she saw, and the queen stood at the top of the wooden steps, smiling down at someone. She heard her saying, "The council does us great honor, my good lords."

"What's happening?" she asked a squire she knew.

Sansa I, Game 14

II

Arya says the Ruby Ford is upstream...

"You better put on something pretty," Sansa told her. "Septa Mordane said so. We're traveling in the queen's wheelhouse with Princess Myrcella today." 

"I'm not," Arya said, trying to brush a tangle out of Nymeria's matted grey fur. "Mycah and I are going to ride upstream and look for rubies at the ford."

"Rubies," Sansa said, lost. "What rubies?"

Arya gave her a look like she was so stupid. "Rhaegar's rubies. This is where King Robert killed him and won the crown."

Sansa I, Game 14

But Sansa and Joffrey get to the Ruby Ford by going downstream, where they found Arya and Mycah...

And so they left her direwolf and his bodyguard behind them, while they ranged east along the north bank of the Trident with no company save Lion's Tooth.

"The battleground is right up ahead, where the river bends. That was where my father killed Rhaegar Targaryen, you know. He smashed in his chest, crunch, right through the armor." Joffrey swung an imaginary warhammer to show her how it was done. "Then my uncle Jaime killed old Aerys, and my father was king. What's that sound?"

Sansa I, Game 14

They've found her, my lord."

Ned rose quickly. "Our men or Lannister's?" 

"It was Jory," his steward Vayon Poole replied. "She's not been harmed."

"Thank the gods," Ned said. His men had been searching for Arya for four days now, but the queen's men had been out hunting as well. "Where is she? Tell Jory to bring her here at once."

"I am sorry, my lord," Poole told him. "The guards on the gate were Lannister men, and they informed the queen when Jory brought her in. She's being taken directly before the king . . . "

"Damn that woman!" Ned said, striding to the door. "Find Sansa and bring her to the audience chamber. Her voice may be needed." He descended the tower steps in a red rage. He had led searches himself for the first three days, and had scarcely slept an hour since Arya had disappeared. This morning he had been so heartsick and weary he could scarcely stand, but now his fury was on him, filling him with strength.

Eddard III, Game 15

Eddard’s fears were warranted...

"Do you see that window, ser?" Jaime used a sword to point. That was Raymunn Darry's bed chamber. Where King Robert slept, on our return from Winterfell. Ned Stark's daughter had run off after her wolf savaged Joff, you'll recall. My sister wanted the girl to lose a hand. The old penalty, for striking one of the blood royal. Robert told her she was cruel and mad. They fought for half the night . . . well, Cersei fought, and Robert drank. Past midnight, the queen summoned me inside. The king was passed out snoring on the Myrish carpet. I asked my sister if she wanted me to carry him to bed. She told me I should carry her to bed, and shrugged out of her robe. I took her on Raymun Darry's bed after stepping over Robert. If His Grace had woken I would have killed him there and then. He would not have been the first king to die upon my sword . . . but you know that story, don't you?" He slashed at a tree branch, shearing it in half. "As I was fucking her, Cersei cried, ‘I want.' I thought that she meant me, but it was the Stark girl that she wanted, maimed or dead." The things I do for love. "It was only by chance that Stark's own men found the girl before me. If I had come on her first . . ."

Jaime IV, Feast 30

Dragonflies are mentioned six times in ASOIAF. Three of the references are comparisons to galleys skimming along the water by Catelyn, Jaime, and Arya. 

In The Hedge Knight, Dunk watches a dragonfly about the pond near his camp at the beginning of the tale, and again latter when Maekar offers him a place in his guard. Dunk considers whether he should choose dragonflies and remain a hedge knight or dragons and enter Maekar's service. He chooses the former. 

Dunk's choice, of course, explains why Prince Duncan is later called the Prince of Dragonflies after he abdicates in favor of Jenny of Oldstones. 

And then we have Daenerys near the end of her walkabout in Daenerys X, Dance 71. She notices dragonflies just before Drogon returns to her. Since she gives them no motlre thought, I think we can assume that she will choose dragons. 

On 12/6/2017 at 0:06 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

<snip

Daario Naharis, another Tyroshi, has a three-pronged beard. When we meet him, he dyes his beard blue. Later, he dyes his beard purple. @Lady Blizzardbornsuggests that Daario might be hiding something behind that purple beard that makes his blue eyes seem almost purple...

<snip

Thanks for the mention, LM.

I

Maester Kym was not a very good tutor...

Across the city on the Hill of Rhaenys stood the blackened walls of the Dragonpit, its huge dome collapsing into ruin, its bronze doors closed now for a century.

Catelyn IV, Game 18

She was off by 67 years.

II

Two events happen in an Inn on Eel Alley in King’s Landing: that's where Catelyn stays before Peter has the Gold Cloaks bring her to him, and it’s where Jaime and Cersei spent the night when she convinced him to join the Kingsguard.

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

II

Two events happen in an Inn on Eel Alley in King’s Landing: that's where Catelyn stays before Peter has the Gold Cloaks bring her to him, and it’s where Jaime and Cersei spent the night when she convinced him to join the Kingsguard.

The Old Inn is located halfway up Visenya's hill and is owned by an old crone with a wandering eye. The Visenya connection and the wandering eye lead me to wonder whether there is a Bloodraven allusion (Visenya and Bloodraven being linked by Dark Sister).

I wonder what it means that Cersei remembered the inn as being on Weasel Alley, while Jaime remembers (correctly, apparently) that it is located on Eel Alley?

Or is the Catelyn / Littlefinger story similar to the Jaime / Cersei story in that one of each pair is being seduced and led into serving the other person's agenda?

2 minutes ago, Seams said:

The Old Inn is located halfway up Visenya's hill and is owned by an old crone with a wandering eye. The Visenya connection and the wandering eye lead me to wonder whether there is a Bloodraven allusion (Visenya and Bloodraven being linked by Dark Sister).

I wonder what it means that Cersei remembered the inn as being on Weasel Alley, while Jaime remembers (correctly, apparently) that it is located on Eel Alley?

Or is the Catelyn / Littlefinger story similar to the Jaime / Cersei story in that one of each pair is being seduced and led into serving the other person's agenda?

I think it's just a wee Easter egg. 

Littlefinger smiled. "Leave Lord Varys to me, sweet lady. If you will permit me a small obscenity—and where better for it—I hold the man's balls in the palm of my hand." He cupped his fingers, smiling. "Or would, if he were a man, or had any balls. You see, if the pie is opened, the birds begin to sing, and Varys woyld not like that. Were I you, I would worry more about the Lannisters and less about the eunuch."

Eddard Iv, Game 20

I think this simply means that Petyr is aware ofVarys’s little birds and use of the secret castle passages.

Consider the case of Sunfyre and Aegon II, in which their reunion helps to improve their helth and hasten their physical rehabilitation. 

Now, consider Daenerys's second dragon dream...

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her, She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

Daenerys III, Game 23

Immediately before that, she had decided to kill herself rather than to continue the torture she endured in the beginning of her travel to the Dothraki Sea. Immediately after the dream, she began to feel better, and to get stronger. 

And now consider that by the end of the chapter she was revealed to be pregnant. Rhaego never had a chance. 

Archived