Wow, I never noticed that v.16

I've recently started reading Dune and noticed some similarities with ASOIAF such as the bloodlines and some preserved features and remember @The Fattest Leech pointing out to some more.

Anyways, it's not such a big thing but this quote "That which submits rules" immediately reminded me of Martells and their words, "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" and how Doran has already lost two siblings, a niece, a nephew and a son and is still insistent on going all fire and blood, sending his daughter and nephews towards danger.

Tommen’s a good boy. Tell him who to name and he will name him.”
“And who would you have him name?”
She did not have a ready answer. My champion will need a new name as well as a new face

(ADwD, Ch.54 Cersei I)

a/ Qyburn has learnt the secret of the Many-Faced God - or rather, the reverse of it. Much less waste if they teamed up - The faceless men could take the dead faces, Qyburn the bodies.

b/ Cersei knows her champion will have Gregor Clegane's body.

ETA: @Lost Melniboneanv ...Ah, yes. And Cersei knows because Qyburn told her earlier:

"My queen, your champion stands ready. There is no man in all the Seven Kingdoms who can hope to stand against him. If you will only give the command …”
This time she did laugh. It was funny, terribly funny, hideously funny. “The gods make japes of all our hopes and plans. I have a champion no man can defeat, but I am forbidden to make use of him. I am the queen, Qyburn. My honor can only be defended by a Sworn Brother of the Kingsguard.”

AFfC,Ch.43 Cersei X

5 hours ago, Walda said:

(ADwD, Ch.54 Cersei I)

a/ Qyburn has learnt the secret of the Many-Faced God - or rather, the reverse of it. Much less waste if they teamed up - The faceless men could take the dead faces, Qyburn the bodies.

b/ Cersei knows her champion will have Gregor Clegane's body.

My understanding is that Cersei told Qyburn to send a dwarf's head in place of Gregor's to Dorne, and that she will need to conceal the identity of Gregor since she told Dorne that Gregor was dead. 

• 2 weeks later...

And all for naught. They found only darkness, dust, and rats. And dragons, lurking down below. He remembered the sullen orange glow of the coals in the iron dragon's mouth. The brazier warmed a chamber at the bottom of a shaft where half a dozen tunnels met. On the floor he'd found a scuffed mosaic of the three-headed dragon of House Targaryen done in tiles of black and red. I know you, Kingslayer, the beast seemed to be saying. I have been waiting here all the time, waiting for you to come to me. And it seemed to Jaime that he knew that voice, the iron tones that had once belonged to Rhaegar, Prince of Dragonstone. (Jaime I, AFFC 8) 

Continuing the whole theme of dragons re-emerging from the shadows.

On the morning after the battle, the crows had feasted on victors and vanquished alike, as once they had feasted on Rhaegar Targaryen after the Trident. How much can a crown be worth, when a crow can dine upon a king? (Jaime I, AFFC 8)

Jaime's internal thoughts are always interesting.

Noticed something interesting. Arya's first kill, towards the end of AGOT, is when she kills a stable boy by stabbing him with Needle. She starts by stabbing him in the abdomen, then moves her blade upwards to come out between his shoulder blades. Needle, as we all know, was given to her by Jon Snow. Towards the end of ADWD, Jon is stabbed in the abdomen and between the shoulder blades. This appears to echo Arya's first kill. While he is being stabbed, Jon even thinks of his words to Arya when he gave her the sword, Stick them with the pointy end. This too was the only thought racing through Arya's head when she killed the stable boy, despite all of her training with Syrio.

9 hours ago, JaneSnow said:

Noticed something interesting. Arya's first kill, towards the end of AGOT, is when she kills a stable boy by stabbing him with Needle. She starts by stabbing him in the abdomen, then moves her blade upwards to come out between his shoulder blades. Needle, as we all know, was given to her by Jon Snow. Towards the end of ADWD, Jon is stabbed in the abdomen and between the shoulder blades. This appears to echo Arya's first kill. While he is being stabbed, Jon even thinks of his words to Arya when he gave her the sword, Stick them with the pointy end. This too was the only thought racing through Arya's head when she killed the stable boy, despite all of her training with Syrio.

Nice.

23 hours ago, JaneSnow said:

And she kills a stable boy while the long Stark faces like Jon's are likened to horse faces sometimes. Disturbing.

Sansa had a crush on Waymar

"Bronze Yohn knows me," she reminded him. "He was a guest at Winterfell when his son rode north to take the black." She had fallen wildly in love with Ser Waymar, she remembered dimly, but that was a lifetime ago, when she was a stupid little girl. "And that was not the only time. Lord Royce saw . . . he saw Sansa Stark again at King's Landing, during the Hand's tourney."

This is how Waymar looks like.

Ser Waymar Royce was the youngest son of an ancient house with too many heirs. He was a handsome youth of eighteen, grey-eyed and graceful and slender as a knife. 

This is how Jon looks like

"No," Jon Snow said quietly. "It was not courage. This one was dead of fear. You could see it in his eyes, Stark." Jon's eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast.

Jon is everything Waymar is and then some.

Add to these the fact Jon is the hero from the songs

Frog-faced Lord Slynt sat at the end of the council table wearing a black velvet doublet and a shiny cloth-of-gold cape, nodding with approval every time the king pronounced a sentence. Sansa stared hard at his ugly face, remembering how he had thrown down her father for Ser Ilyn to behead, wishing she could hurt him, wishing that some herowould throw him down and cut off his head. But a voice inside her whispered, There are no heroes, and she remembered what Lord Petyr had said to her, here in this very hall. "Life is not a song, sweetling," he'd told her.

Life is a song, apparently. A song of ice and fire perhaps, with Jon as the hero.

Will Sansa get a crush on Jon too when they are finally united?

7 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Sansa had a crush on Waymar

This is how Waymar looks like.

This is how Jon looks like

Jon is everything Waymar is and then some.

Add to these the fact Jon is the hero from the songs

Life is a song, apparently. A song of ice and fire perhaps, with Jon as the hero.

Will Sansa get a crush on Jon too when they are finally united?

Adding to the above, Sansa is making out with her father LF. She tends to get mixed up sometimes like with the Unkiss. She slips up between calling LF by his name and Father, between calling Ned Father and Lord Stark. Jon looks like Ned/her father and she's making out with her other father... Jon sees Ygritte who is a mash up of Arya and Sansa and is attracted to her. Jon is very possessive of his two sisters. I do see set up for this to be reciprocal. Add to that the parallels between the Hound and Jon. It's very deliberate that Jon holds a sword to Ygritte's neck and thinks of Ned and killing and in the very next chapter the Hound holds a sword to Sansa's neck and muses on the same thing. The Hound showed an unusual attachment to both Stark girls.

I'm concerned about Jon and Sansa enough that I'm no longer angry that the series will likely never be finished because then I won't have to read it along with some other things that I think will happen that I also don't really want to read. Not that I think these things won't be handled well.

2 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Adding to the above, Sansa is making out with her father LF. She tends to get mixed up sometimes like with the Unkiss. She slips up between calling LF by his name and Father, between calling Ned Father and Lord Stark. Jon looks like Ned/her father and she's making out with her other father... Jon sees Ygritte who is a mash up of Arya and Sansa and is attracted to her. Jon is very possessive of his two sisters. I do see set up for this to be reciprocal. Add to that the parallels between the Hound and Jon. It's very deliberate that Jon holds a sword to Ygritte's neck and thinks of Ned and killing and in the very next chapter the Hound holds a sword to Sansa's neck and muses on the same thing. The Hound showed an unusual attachment to both Stark girls.

I'm concerned about Jon and Sansa enough that I'm no longer angry that the series will likely never be finished because then I won't have to read it along with some other things that I think will happen that I also don't really want to read. Not that I think these things won't be handled well.

Excellent observation on Jon/Sandor. They also share some character ans physical traits as well;

Both of them have a temper and are dutiful. They have brown hair and grey eyes and after Jon's encounter with the wight, both of them have suffered serious burns.

Now that I mentioned it, could the burns be a mark of Rhllor of sorts? Sandor survives his trial by fire against Beric. Jon may appear dead but perhaps he will wake during his funeral when they try to burn him? Are there any other characters who have suffered burns earlier and escape fiery death later?

There seems to be some kind of a connection between sourleaf chewers (that are named) and their deaths. 

Masha Heddle was hanged by Tywin Lannister

The sourleaf had stained Masha's teeth dark red, and made her smile a bloody horror (Catelyn V, AGoT 28)

Yoren was killed during an attack by Lannister men

The sour leaf turned his spit red, so it looked like his mouth was bleeding (Arya III, Clash 9)

Chett was killed during the attack on the Fist of the First Men (and raised as a wight to boot)

It was warmer if he kept moving, he found, so he made a slow circuit of the perimeter with a wad of sourleaf, sharing a chew or two with the black brothers on guard and hearing what they had to say. (ASoS, Prologue)

Dwarf (Holy Brother), killed for a lordship

His nose was veined and bulbous, his teeth red from sourleaf. (Brienne II, AFFC 9)

And then there are the sourleaf chewers who are still alive.

Ser Emmon Frey

"The boy had courage, I always said so. It was in his blood." A pinkish froth glistened on Ser Emmon's lips when he spoke, courtesy of the sourleaf he liked to chew. (Jaime V, AFFC 33)

He had been chewing sourleaf again; pinkish froth glistened on his lips. (Jaime VI, AFFC 38)

Lord Emmon rubbed his mouth. His hand came away red and slimy from the sourleaf. (Jaime VII, AFFC 44)

Archmaester Marwyn

His brow beetled, his nose had been broken more than once, and sourleaf had stained his teeth a mottled red. (Samwell V, AFFC 45)

Marywn smiled a ghastly smile, the juice of the sourleaf running red between his teeth. (Samwell V, AFFC 45)

Snatch (The Second Sons)

That from a third man, drawn by their voices -- a skinny stubble-jawed piece of work with teeth stained red from sourleaf. A serjeant, Tyrion knew, from the way the other two deferred to him. (Tyrion XI, ADWD 57)

Snatch was waiting by the cook tent chewing sourleaf when the two dwarfs turned up, cloaked and hooded. (Tyrion XII, ADWD 66)

The serjeant's fingers were stained a mottled red from the juice of the sourleaf he chewed. (Tyrion XII, ADWD 66)

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Excellent observation on Jon/Sandor. They also share some character ans physical traits as well;

Both of them have a temper and are dutiful. They have brown hair and grey eyes and after Jon's encounter with the wight, both of them have suffered serious burns.

There’s quite a lot if you look for them. Sandor nearly lost his left eye to burning by his brother Gregor but managed to keep it. Jon initially thought he lost his left eye to Orell (a brother skinchanger) but managed to keep it. Orell later burns. Where Sandor wears burns over his left eye, Jon likely sports significant scaring over his left eye. Their physiques are different. Sandor is very tall and built like a bull. Jon is probably average height with a slimmer build. 

They lost their cloaks at about the same time, Jon to the Wildlings (Ygritte?) and the Hound to Sansa. Jon said an oath to the NW but has been challenged to keep it. The Hound refuses to give his oath to the KG because he knows he won’t be able to keep it. Arya finds Needle again with the Hound. Bran describes Jon’s eyes as seeing everything. The Hound is constantly berating Sansa to look, see. Sansa has trouble seeing Jon because as a bastard he doesn’t have a clear place in her fairy tale world. The Hound is constantly challenging Sansa to look at him. The Hound is very much linked to shadow and dark furthering the link to the NW.

Just being clear here, though. I don’t see parallels as evidence of future romantic involvements. There are parallels all over the series. Trust me, you don’t want to extend the parallels = future romance universally across the series (Theon + Jaime anyone?) and it’s circular reasoning to apply it only in favored circumstances. It's there, but I'm cautious as to the point of it.

Back at Winterfell, they had eaten in the Great Hall almost half the time. Her father used to say that a lord needed to eat with his men, if he hoped to keep them. "Know the men who follow you," she heard him tell Robb once, "and let them know you. Don't ask your men to die for a stranger." At Winterfell, he always had an extra seat set at his own table, and every day a different man would be asked to join him. One night it would be Vayon Poole, and the talk would be coppers and bread stores and servants. 

WOW! I never noticed Eddard was such a skinflint, he is a Lord Paramount for Old Gods' sake! He doesn't talk about dragons or even stags but of coppers! I hope at least he is talking about stars but he is more likely to be talking about half pennies.

Eddard you thrifty copper counter, you are a shame on your royal ancestors!

Archived