Wow, I never noticed that v.16

3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

It does not. :) It says

As a younger man [Jon Arryn] resembled Harrold Hardyng, who has blue eyes, blonde hair, and an aquiline nose.

In what way Harrold resembles Jon Arryn is not specified in the reference, and so, the wiki does not either. It simply describes Harrold.

This is why I wanted to move to a new thread. It doesn't make sense to say two people who have blue eyes resemble each other as blue eyes are very common. Same with an aquiline nose. You wouldn't say they look alike based on the same eyes, you'd just say Harry has Jon's eyes. Nor do you say someone looks like another because they have the same nose. It's just that they have the same nose. I don't really get why we'd be told Harry looks like Jon, but not be told why/how. And hair is more of a standout to how one recognizes someone than eye color or nose shape (unless they're very unusual and we're not told anything of the sort). So, it has to include the hair.

Add to this: Sansa compares Harry to Joff instead of say Loras or any other attractive character and Joff had blonde hair. Add also that the Arryns are Andal. If you want to be technical, sure, but I can't come up with any way for Jon Arryn to not have blonde hair without some hard to swallow arguments.

So I still disagree with this. And other things which I won't go into here.

Could this be the identity of one of the knights the KotLT challenged during the tourney at Harrenhal?

"Salt pork never pleases me." The pitchfork knight gave Clegane only the most cursory glance, and paid no attention at all to Arya, but he looked long and hard at Stranger. The stallion was no plow horse, that was plain at a glance. One of the squires almost wound up in the mud when the big black courser bit at his own mount. "How did you come by this beast?" the pitchfork knight demanded.
"M'lady told me to bring him, ser," Clegane said humbly. "He's a wedding gift for young Lord Tully."
"What lady? Who is it you serve?"
"Old Lady Whent, ser."

"Does she think she can buy Harrenhal back with a horse?" the knight asked. "Gods, is there any fool like an old fool?" Yet he waved them down the road. "Go on with you, then."
"Aye, m'lord." The Hound snapped his whip again, and the drays resumed their weary trek. The wheels had settled deep into the mud during the halt, and it took several moments for the team to pull them free again. By then the outriders were riding off. Clegane gave them one last look and snorted. "Ser Donnel Haigh," he said. "I've taken more horses off him than I can count. Armor as well. Once I near killed him in a mêlée."
(Arya X, ASOS 50)

1 hour ago, Lollygag said:

This is why I wanted to move to a new thread. It doesn't make sense to say two people who have blue eyes resemble each other as blue eyes are very common. Same with an aquiline nose. You wouldn't say they look alike based on the same eyes, you'd just say Harry has Jon's eyes. Nor do you say someone looks like another because they have the same nose. It's just that they have the same nose. I don't really get why we'd be told Harry looks like Jon, but not be told why/how. And hair is more of a standout to how one recognizes someone than eye color or nose shape (unless they're very unusual and we're not told anything of the sort). So, it has to include the hair.

Add to this: Sansa compares Harry to Joff instead of say Loras or any other attractive character and Joff had blonde hair. Add also that the Arryns are Andal. If you want to be technical, sure, but I can't come up with any way for Jon Arryn to not have blonde hair without some hard to swallow arguments.

One can look like another person while having a different hair color.  I'm not saying that Jon Arryn could not have had blonde hair, I'm only saying that the text does not confirm this as of yet. As to the comparison between Joff and Harry, in both looks and character, I feel the reasoning behind it is simple: she was betrothed to Joffrey, and is supposed to get betrothed to Harry. :) The looks and personality of Tyrion, her husband, are used as a comparison as well, after all.

A small thing

There's a house of landed knights in the wastelands, Vikary, their CoA is, quoting from awoiaf, "Quarterly: a red boar's head on a white field; beneath a gold bend sinister, a silver lion rampant regardant with a forked tail, with gold teeth and claws, on a red field"

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Vikary

There's a knight in the first Blackfyre rebellion, Redtusk. He fought on Daemon's side as did the Reynes (Robb Reyne)

Wikipedia says this on Bend Sinister "Outside heraldry, the term "bend (or bar) sinister" is sometimes used to imply ancestral illegitimacy"

Reversed colors are also used for bastards (Walden Rivers has both)

With all this information at hand, Vikarys are likely descended from Redtusk and a bastard Reyne daughter

It's small details such as this that make GRRM's world building great.

19 hours ago, Lollygag said:

My father has black hair, his sister the same. I have very dark brown hair that turns to ashen brown with bits of light brown or even dark blonde as it grows. My beard is a lighter brown that turns to auburnas it grows. My sister also has brown hair, much lighter than mine, turns to auburn during summer with the ends becoming yellowish. 

So neither of us has any similarity to our father or his sister in our hair color and our colors aren't that much similar to each other either. With that mentioned, My sister and I look very much like each other, both in body build and our facial features, we are almost carbon copies of each other. My facial features are also very similar to my fther's and my sister's is to my aunt's.

All three of my maternal uncles share the same hair color yet none of them resemble his other brothers much.

So in short, no. Hair is not necessarily the first thing to go for.

57 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

A small thing

There's a house of landed knights in the wastelands, Vikary, their CoA is, quoting from awoiaf, "Quarterly: a red boar's head on a white field; beneath a gold bend sinister, a silver lion rampant regardant with a forked tail, with gold teeth and claws, on a red field"

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Vikary

There's a knight in the first Blackfyre rebellion, Redtusk. He fought on Daemon's side as did the Reynes (Robb Reyne)

Wikipedia says this on Bend Sinister "Outside heraldry, the term "bend (or bar) sinister" is sometimes used to imply ancestral illegitimacy"

Reversed colors are also used for bastards (Walden Rivers has both)

With all this information at hand, Vikarys are likely descended from Redtusk and a bastard Reyne daughter

It's small details such as this that make GRRM's world building great.

The name Vikary is also a surname GRRM has used in his story Dying of the Light. The character has a long name, but basically goes by Jaan Vikary as common custom. In this story, Jaan is very much a Rhaegar prototype, and Dirk is an Eddard/Robert B combo (depending on the scene), and Gwen (real name Guenevere) is very much like a Lyanna type. Gwen left Dirk a long time ago and is now in a polygamous marriage with Jaan and another. Dirk has now come back into the picture because he thinks (purposely misinformed) that Gwen has summoned him back to her. Sounds familiar, right? ;)

"I never see anyone anymore," Dirk said carefully. "That we knew, together. You know. I travel a lot. Braque, Prometheus, Jamison's World." His voice rang hollow and mane in his ears. He paused and swallowed. "Who is Jaan?"
"Jaantony Riv Wolf high-Ironjade Vikary," Ruark said.
"Jaan is my . . ." She [Gwen] hesitated. "It is not easy to explain. I am betheyn to Jaan, cro-betheyn to his teyn Garse." She looked over, a brief glance away from the aircar instruments, then back again. There was no comprehension on Dirk's face.
"Husband," she said then, shrugging. "I'm sorry, Dirk. That's not quite right, but it is the closest I can come in a single word. Jaan is my husband."

7 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

My father has black hair, his sister the same. I have very dark brown hair that turns to ashen brown with bits of light brown or even dark blonde as it grows. My beard is a lighter brown that turns to auburnas it grows. My sister also has brown hair, much lighter than mine, turns to auburn during summer with the ends becoming yellowish. 

So neither of us has any similarity to our father or his sister in our hair color and our colors aren't that much similar to each other either. With that mentioned, My sister and I look very much like each other, both in body build and our facial features, we are almost carbon copies of each other. My facial features are also very similar to my fther's and my sister's is to my aunt's.

All three of my maternal uncles share the same hair color yet none of them resemble his other brothers much.

So in short, no. Hair is not necessarily the first thing to go for.

You have stated directly here that "both in body build and our facial features, we are almost carbon copies of each other". This is a level of detail not given in the books which if we exclude hair, means only blue eyes (very common) and an aquiline nose (also very common). "We are almost carbon copies" is not both have blue eyes and an aquiline nose, because those two features alone aren't enough to establish similarity. Add the hair though, and it works for the reader. The way you handle real life isn't always the same as how you would write something, in fact, it's often not.

This is seriously off-topic. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss further.

On 4/28/2018 at 5:58 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

One can look like another person while having a different hair color.  I'm not saying that Jon Arryn could not have had blonde hair, I'm only saying that the text does not confirm this as of yet. As to the comparison between Joff and Harry, in both looks and character, I feel the reasoning behind it is simple: she was betrothed to Joffrey, and is supposed to get betrothed to Harry. :) The looks and personality of Tyrion, her husband, are used as a comparison as well, after all.

Tyrion has blonde hair. Of course one can look like another person and have different hair colors. But communicating that in writing when both have blue eyes (very common) and an aquiline nose (very common) doesn't establish this. You need more. Joff does stand out to me: Sansa had a huge crush on Waymar, was to marry Joff, wanted to marry Loras, was almost betrothed to Willas, was interested in Arys but ruled him out as he still hit her, ended up marrying Tyrion, fantasized about Sandor, LF is making out with her, and Robert is crushing on her a lot. So to single out Joff is significant to me.

If we (arbitrarily) exclude blonde hair because we don't like it, then we can exclude two features, also arbitrarily, let's say the blonde hair and the blue eyes. So they have the same very common nose and this is how they look alike. Doesn't really work.

And if we can (arbitrarily) exclude two features (blonde, blue-eyed), then we can arbitrarily exclude all three features: blonde hair, blue eyes and the aquiline nose. Now that sentence makes no sense. Harry had Jon Arryn's look: Harry had blonde hair, blue eyes and an aquiline nose. But Jon Arryn has brown/red/black hair, a different nose, and green/hazel/brown eyes. ???

Descriptions in the books are straight forward. We know what we're getting and if we're not, we're told directly (Aegon's eyes change depending on his hair). Excluding descriptors for no reason amounts to telling the reader nothing as Jon could have been blonde, blue-eyed and aquiline-nosed if we read it in a straight-forward way, or he could have any other type of coloring and nose if we begin (arbitrarily) excluding 1, 2 or all three features.

The common usage of having someone's look in ASOIAF includes hair color. Jon has Ned's look: the Stark face, grey eyes and the hair color. Arya has the Stark look as she has the coloring. Gendry has the Baratheon look. Excluding hair color without any sort of qualifier would be atypical usage for the series.

That the armorer's sullen apprentice was the king's son, Ned had no doubt. The Baratheon look was stamped on his face, in his jaw, his eyes, that black hair. Renly was too young to have fathered a boy of that age, Stannis too cold and proud in his honor. Gendry had to be Robert's.

Could it be that Lord Renly, who looked so like a young Robert, had conceived a passion for a girl he fancied to be a young Lyanna? That struck him as more than passing queer.

His companion was a man near twenty whose armor was steel plate of a deep forest-green. He was the handsomest man Sansa had ever set eyes upon; tall and powerfully made, with jet-black hair that fell to his shoulders and framed a clean-shaven face, and laughing green eyes to match his armor. Cradled under one arm was an antlered helm, its magnificent rack shimmering in gold.

If Robb had the Stark face with the Tully hair, would anyone describe him as having Ned’s look? Robb would be described as look like Ned in the face, but not as having the Stark look as that implies Robb had the Stark coloring too. That’s what’s being proposed by Jon Arryn not being blonde. Assuming Cersei's kids were Robert's for the sake of argument, if Joffrey had Cersei’s features but Robert’s hair, would Joff be described as having the Lannister look?  Joff would be described as looking like Cersei in the face, but not as having the Lannister look as that implies Joff had blonde hair not the hypothetical black hair.

Taking this idea out of ASOIAF. Say a friend tells you the following:

“My new house is like my old house: my new house is white, has a brown roof and is a two-story.”

What’s your first assumption about the old house? That it was white with a brown roof and had two stories.

If blonde hair can be excluded, then we can exclude one descriptor of the house.

“My new house is like my old house: my new house is white, has a brown roof and is a two-story.”

{Except you know that their old house was red. What’s your reaction?}

If one descriptor for Harry can be excluded, then two can be excluded:

{Except you know that their old house was red with a gray roof. What’s your reaction here?”

If one or two descriptors can be excluded, why not all three?

“My new house is like my old house: my new house is white, has a brown roof and is a two-story”.

{Except you know that their old house was red with a gray roof and was ranch-style. Would this make any sense at all?}

I'm ok with leaving Jon Arryn's appearance as needing more confirmation, but if you exclude blonde hair because you want to, you create a slippery slope as I showed above, leading to Jon Arryn possibly having any coloring. In which case, telling the reader that Harry had Jon's look makes no sense and is bad writing atypical of the common usage.

AGOT, Dany IX: "suddenly the stars were gone, and across the blue sky swept the great wings, and the world took flame." - this is the exact moment when Quaithe took off her mask, and Dany saw that the woman is a dragonblood, Shiera Seastar.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Lyanna might have visited the Eyrie, Lyanna might have visited another place where Robert also visited, Robert might have seen only a portrait of Lyanna and heard stories about her from Ned which made him fall in love. There probably are some other alternatives.

With Rickard's ambitions in mind, I too wonder how much he manipulated the events that led to the betrothal. Perhaps he had nothing to do with it, but perhaps he did.

I think Lyanna visited the Vale it would be where Robert would have seen her , and she would have heard the rumor of his bastard child .

11 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Tyrion has blonde hair. Of course one can look like another person and have different hair colors. But communicating that in writing when both have blue eyes (very common) and an aquiline nose (very common) doesn't establish this. You need more. Joff does stand out to me: Sansa had a huge crush on Waymar, was to marry Joff, wanted to marry Loras, was almost betrothed to Willas, was interested in Arys but ruled him out as he still hit her, ended up marrying Tyrion, fantasized about Sandor, LF is making out with her, and Robert is crushing on her a lot. So to single out Joff is significant to me.

Except that she does not single out Joffrey. She compares Harry, her husband-to-be, to Joffrey, her former betrothed, in the sense that both are good looking, yet Joff's personality was bad, leading her to conclude that looks don't say all. Then she compares them to Tyrion, her actual husband, who was not good looking, but at least was kind to her.

All the other men, even Willas, are not used in the comparison as she was never, at whatever time, betrothed or married to either one of them.

Spoiler

My Harry. My lord, my lover, my betrothed.

Ser Harrold Hardyng looked every inch a lord-in-waiting; clean-limbed and handsome, straight as alance, hard with muscle. Men old enough to have known Jon Arryn in his youth said Ser Harrold had his look, she knew. He had a mop of sandy blond hair, pale blue eyes, an aquiline nose. Joffrey was comely too, though, she reminded herself. A comely monster, that’s what he was. Little Lord Tyrion was kinder, twisted though he was.

I'm ok with leaving Jon Arryn's appearance as needing more confirmation, but if you exclude blonde hair because you want to, you create a slippery slope as I showed above, leading to Jon Arryn possibly having any coloring. In which case, telling the reader that Harry had Jon's look makes no sense and is bad writing atypical of the common usage.

I'm not excluding anything. :) I'm saying that we do not have any confirmation. 

"My lord has a new wife to give him sons."

"And won't my bastard love that? Lady Walda is a Frey, and she has a fertile feel to her. I have become oddly fond of my fat little wife. The two before her never made a sound in bed, but this one squeals and shudders. I find that quite endearing. If she pops out sons the way she pops in tarts, the Dreadfort will soon be overrun with Boltons. Ramsay will kill them all, of course. That's for the best. I will not live long enough to see new sons to manhood, and boy lords are the bane of any House. Walda will grieve to see them die, though."

Not only is Roose showing some emotion here, but also sheds some light into his marriage life, comparing his new wife to previous two. This makes me wonder if Stannis would also be endeared if he had a squealing Frey for a wife instead of Selyse Ice Eyes.

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Except that she does not single out Joffrey. She compares Harry, her husband-to-be, to Joffrey, her former betrothed, in the sense that both are good looking, yet Joff's personality was bad, leading her to conclude that looks don't say all. Then she compares them to Tyrion, her actual husband, who was not good looking, but at least was kind to her.

All the other men, even Willas, are not used in the comparison as she was never, at whatever time, betrothed or married to either one of them.

Reveal hidden contents

My Harry. My lord, my lover, my betrothed.

Ser Harrold Hardyng looked every inch a lord-in-waiting; clean-limbed and handsome, straight as alance, hard with muscle. Men old enough to have known Jon Arryn in his youth said Ser Harrold had his look, she knew. He had a mop of sandy blond hair, pale blue eyes, an aquiline nose. Joffrey was comely too, though, she reminded herself. A comely monster, that’s what he was. Little Lord Tyrion was kinder, twisted though he was.

I'm not excluding anything. :) I'm saying that we do not have any confirmation. 

I just disagree. This is my reading of Sansa, but as she's married to Tyrion and has no desire to remarry anyone, she's not really betrothed to Harry and doesn't believe she'll ever marry him. She goes method when she's Alayne. The handsomeness and blonde hair inspired the comparison and most importantly, it reinforced blonde for the reader regardless of anyone's interpretation. You have to split out which is Sansa and which is Alayne. She's in Alayne mode here. The comparison would've felt off if Harry had been a handsome dark-haired boy and I don't think it'd have occurred to her.

Alayne TWOW Spoiler

Spoiler

Harry the Heir, Alayne thought. My husband-to-be, if he will have me.  A sudden terror filled her.  She wondered if her face was red. Don’t stare at him, she reminded herself, don’t stare, don’t gape, don’t gawk.  Look away. Her hair must be a frightful mess after all that running.  It took all her will to stop herself from trying to tuck the loose strands back into place. Never mind your stupid hair.  Your hair doesn’t matter.  It’s him that matters.  Him, and the Waynwoods.

Ser Roland was the oldest of the three, though no more than five-and-twenty. He was taller and more muscular than Ser Wallace, but both were long-faced and lantern-jawed, with stringy brown hair and pinched noses.  Horsefaced and homely, Alayne thought.

Harry, though…

My Harry.  My lord, my lover, my betrothed.

Ser Harrold Hardyng looked every inch a lord-in-waiting; clean-limbed and handsome, straight as a lance, hard with muscle. Men old enough to have known Jon Arryn in his youth said Ser Harrold had his look, she knew. He had a mop of sandy blond hair, pale blue eyes, an aquiline nose. Joffrey was comely too, though, she reminded herself.   A comely monster, that’s what he was.  Little Lord Tyrion was kinder, twisted though he was.

Harry was staring at her. He knows who I am, she realized, and he does not seem pleased to see me. It was only then that she took note of his heraldry. Though his surcoat and horse trappings were patterned in the red-and-white diamonds of House Hardyng, his shield was quartered. The arms of Hardyng and Waynwood were displayed in the first and third quarters, respectively, but in the second and fourth quarters he bore the moon-and-falcon of House Arryn, sky blue and cream. Sweetrobin will not like that.

“And is Ser Harrold with them?”

Horrible Ser Harrold.  “ He is.”

Lord Belmore laughed. “I never thought Royce would let him come. Is he blind, or merely stupid?”

“He is honorable.  Sometimes it amounts to the same thing.  If he denied the lad the chance to prove himself, it could create a rift between them, so why not let him tilt?  The boy is nowise skilled enough to win a place amongst the Winged Knights.”

“I suppose not,” said Belmore, grudgingly.  Lord Grafton kissed Alayne on the hand, and the two lords went off, leaving her alone with her lord father.

“Come,” Petyr said, “walk with me.”  He took her by the arm and led her deeper into the vaults, past an empty dungeon.  “And how was your first meeting with Harry the Heir?”

“He’s horrible.”

“The world is full of horrors, sweet.  By now you ought to know that.  You’ve seen enough of them.”

“Yes,” she said, “but why must he be so cruel?  He called me your bastard.  Right in the yard, in front of everyone.”

“So far as he knows, that’s who you are.  This betrothal was never his idea, and Bronze Yohn has no doubt warned him against my wiles.  You are my daughter.  He does not trust you, and he believes that you’re beneath him.”

“Well, I’m not.  He may think he’s some great knight, but Ser Lothor says he’s just some upjumped squire.”

Petyr put his arm around her.  “So he is, but he is Robert’s heir as well.  Bringing Harry here was the first step in our plan, but now we need to keep him, and only you can do that.  He has a weakness for a pretty face, and whose face is prettier than yours?  Charm him.  Entrance him.  Bewitch him.”

AFFC Alayne II

"A marriage . . ." Her throat tightened. She did not want to wed again, not now, perhaps not ever. "I do not . . . I cannot marry. Father, I . . ." Alayne looked to the door, to make certain it was closed. "I am married," she whispered. "You know."

Petyr put a finger to her lips to silence her. "The dwarf wed Ned Stark's daughter, not mine. Be that as it may. This is only a betrothal. The marriage must needs wait until Cersei is done and Sansa's safely widowed. And you must meet the boy and win his approval. Lady Waynwood will not make him marry against his will, she was quite firm on that."

I'm ok leaving that door open on a technicality, but that technicality only exists on the possibility of GRRM suddenly deviating from his use of "look" in this instance and/or being uncharacteristically tricksy and misleading about someone's appearance and/or just bad writing as Jon Arryn not being blonde/blue-eyed/aquiline-nosed sets up the possibility that blonde/blue-eyed/aquiline-nosed Harry has Jon's look: Jon has brown/red/black hair, green/hazel/brown eyes, and any other nose shape except aquiline. Basing a theory on this is building on sand.

He looked south, and saw the great blue-green rush of the Trident. He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

So this has been picked at over and over again, but only now have I noticed that Jaime and the "Hound" will meet again very soon and perhaps he has already met him... or HER.

The biggest of the four wore a stained and tattered yellow cloak. "Enjoy the food?" he asked. "I hope so. It's the last food you're ever like to eat." He was brown-haired, bearded, brawny, with a broken nose that had healed badly. I know this man, Brienne thought. "You are the Hound."
He grinned. His teeth were awful; crooked, and streaked brown with rot. "I suppose I am. Seeing as how m'lady went and killed the last one." He turned his head and spat.

Hound is not Sandor Clegane, a person. Hound is whoever has the helm.

"The girl. Have you found her?"
"I have," said Brienne, Maid of Tarth.
"Where is she?"
A day's ride. I can take you to her, ser … but you will need to come alone. Elsewise, the Hound will kill her."

Brienne is taking Jaime to LSH and therefore also to hound. But there's no reason The Hound will not change bodies again. I can see Brienne being granted the hound helm for this reason or that and standing by Jaime when he faces "Queen's" Guard Ser Robert Strong  so he can go Valonqar on Cersei.

Wow, I never noticed this (or maybe I just forgot? :dunno:) Gotta love re-reads.

After Dany wakes from her birthing fever dream and realizes that she did subconsciously know that she sacrificed Rhaego, she makes the weird connection (weird for a few reasons) and associates herself with Maegor the Cruel.

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys IX

"No," Mirri Maz Duur said. "That was a lie you told yourself. You knew the price."
Had she? Had she? If I look back I am lost. "The price was paid," Dany said. "The horse, my child, Quaro and Qotho, Haggo and Cohollo. The price was paid and paid and paid." She rose from her cushions. "Where is Khal Drogo? Show him to me, godswife, maegi, bloodmage, whatever you are. Show me Khal Drogo. Show me what I bought with my son's life."
"As you command, Khaleesi," the old woman said. "Come, I will take you to him."
... and then...
The Dothraki exchanged uncertain glances. "Khaleesi," the handmaid Irri explained, as if to a child, "Jhaqo is a khal now, with twenty thousand riders at his back."
She lifted her head. "And I am Daenerys Stormborn, Daenerys of House Targaryen, of the blood of Aegon the Conqueror and Maegor the Cruel and old Valyria before them. I am the dragon's daughter, and I swear to you, these men will die screaming. Now bring me to Khal Drogo."

Hello, big thread to get through to see if it's been mentioned, I'm sure it has by now, but I recently finished dance and started game of thrones again, and I didn't notice on first read that Ned suffers from the same sort of headaches that Barriston does when they actually have to think.  Barriston's head is described as 'pounding' when he's left behind to play the game of thrones in mereen, just like Ned when he gets caught up in the game at Kings Landing.

Also, sad to admit I never noticed that Sansa is unaware that arya's dancing lessons aren't really dancing lessons.

49 minutes ago, TeamSmallPaul said:

Hello, big thread to get through to see if it's been mentioned, I'm sure it has by now, but I recently finished dance and started game of thrones again,

Welcome to the club!

50 minutes ago, TeamSmallPaul said:

and I didn't notice on first read that Ned suffers from the same sort of headaches that Barriston does when they actually have to think.  Barriston's head is described as 'pounding' when he's left behind to play the game of thrones in mereen, just like Ned when he gets caught up in the game at Kings Landing.

Nice!

50 minutes ago, TeamSmallPaul said:

Also, sad to admit I never noticed that Sansa is unaware that arya's dancing lessons aren't really dancing lessons.

Maybe only at first? 

I find this symbolically interesting. The scene is happening where the dragon skulls have been put away.

A vague light was leaking through the row of long narrow windows set high in the cellar wall. The skulls of the Targaryen dragons were emerging from the darkness around them, black amidst grey. "Day comes too soon." A new day. A new year. A new century. I survived the Green Fork and the Blackwater, I can bloody well survive King Joffrey's wedding. (Tyrion VII, ASOS 58)

Archived