Wow, I never noticed that v.16

1 hour ago, Widow's Watch said:

I find this symbolically interesting. The scene is happening where the dragon skulls have been put away.

A vague light was leaking through the row of long narrow windows set high in the cellar wall. The skulls of the Targaryen dragons were emerging from the darkness around them, black amidst grey. "Day comes too soon." A new day. A new year. A new century. I survived the Green Fork and the Blackwater, I can bloody well survive King Joffrey's wedding. (Tyrion VII, ASOS 58)

Hmm... "black amidst grey." What are you thinking here? 

A Dance with Dragons - Jon IX

"Your uncle … would that be Lord Arnolf?"

"He is no lord," Alys said scornfully. "My brother Harry is the rightful lord, and by law I am his heir. A daughter comes before an uncle. Uncle Arnolf is only castellan. He's my great-uncle, actually, my father's uncle.

You know nothing, Jon Snow!

"That is his pretext, not his reason," declared Ser Godry. "If the nephew dies in chains, these uncles can claim his lands and lordship for themselves."
"The Greatjon has sons and daughters both. In the north the children of a man's body still come before his uncles, ser."

But you learn.

43 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Hmm... "black amidst grey." What are you thinking here? 

Do you want me to go tinfoil on this? 

All in all to me it just seems like it's the emergence of the Targaryens from the dark. Like it's a gradual thing. This scene is taking place right before Joffrey's wedding. 

"Joffrey and Margaery shall marry on the first day of the new year, which as it happens is also the first day of the new century. The ceremony will herald the dawn of a new era."
A new Lannister era, thought Tyrion. (Tyrion I, ASOS 4)

There is no new Lannister era. Whatever there is going to be short-lived. 

36 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I got curious; What happens if you aren't consuming a lemon but you are the lemon itself? Do you still get a bitter ending?

Well, yeah... you get squeezed on some Dornish womans pike over a brazier. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

NOOOOOO! Run!

Abel was I ere I saw Elba

I can’t hear Abel without thinking of this...

A famous palindrome... of course uses Abel and the name with the letters mixed both... it’s refering to Napoleon’s exile on the island of Elba... from which he eventually returned. Napoleon, who crowned himself emperor had elected exile on Elba and returned for a hundred days before loosing the battle of Waterloo.

While I won’t dive to deep, there were secret letters sent for instance, but one detail of the story is too fun not to share.

When Napoleon landed and the “royal” army showed up, he, supposedly, walked out in front of the armies and barring his breast asked if any Frenchman would shoot their emperor... the soldiers turned around and now as one army marched on Paris.

20 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Abel was I ere I saw Elba

I can’t hear Abel without thinking of this...

A famous palindrome... of course uses Abel and the name with the letters mixed both... it’s refering to Napoleon’s exile on the island of Elba... from which he eventually returned. Napoleon, who crowned himself emperor had elected exile on Elba and returned for a hundred days before loosing the battle of Waterloo.

While I won’t dive to deep, there were secret letters sent for instance, but one detail of the story is too fun not to share.

When Napoleon landed and the “royal” army showed up, he, supposedly, walked out in front of the armies and barring his breast asked if any Frenchman would shoot their emperor... the soldiers turned around and now as one army marched on Paris.

None were pink, I hope!

I have to go now," Jon said. "Uncle Benjen is waiting. I'm to go north to the Wall. We have to leave today, before the snows come." He remembered how excited Bran had been at the prospect of the journey. It was more than he could bear, the thought of leaving him behind like this. Jon brushed away his tears, leaned over, and kissed his brother lightly on the lips.

The boy claimed to be eighteen, older than Jon, but he was green as summer grass for all that. Satin, they called him, even in the wool and mail and boiled leather of the Night's Watch; the name he'd gotten in the brothel where he'd been born and raised. He was pretty as a girl with his dark eyes, soft skin, and raven's ringlets. Half a year at Castle Black had toughened up his hands, however, and Noye said he was passable with a crossbow. Whether he had the courage to face what was coming, though . . .

"It's cold." Satin stood with his hands tucked into his armpits under his cloak. His cheeks were bright red.

Jon made himself smile. "The Frostfangs are cold. This is a brisk autumn day."

Septon Cellador spoke up. "This boy Satin. It's said you mean to make him your steward and squire, in Tollett's place. My lord, the boy's a whore … a … dare I say … a painted catamite from the brothels of Oldtown."
And you are a drunk. "What he was in Oldtown is none of our concern. He's quick to learn and very clever. The other recruits started out despising him, but he won them over and made friends of them all. He's fearless in a fight and can even read and write after a fashion. He should be capable of fetching me my meals and saddling my horse, don't you think?"

32 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Pretty simple stuff but never noticed it;

Dayne sigil is a falling star and a sword, both white, on purple. Ashara with her purple eyes jumped from a tower of Starfall named Palestine Sword.

Autocorrect may have done an end run on you - it's Palestone Sword, not Palestine.

Interesting observation, though.

2 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Pretty simple stuff but never noticed it;

Dayne sigil is a falling star and a sword, both white, on purple. Ashara with her purple eyes jumped from a tower of Starfall named Palestine Sword.

This one has always been interesting to me, that each thing on their banner seems to be representative to who/what the Daynes are since forever, basically. The falling star as the start of their history. Where it fell is where they settled and what they used to forge their super special sword. And the purple for their eye color because it must have been rather unique 10,000 years ago. 

What I find sort of interesting is that while prophecies have talk of bleeding star, it seems like the original Dayne followed a white star.

11 hours ago, Seams said:

Autocorrect may have done an end run on you - it's Palestone Sword, not Palestine.

Interesting observation, though.

Didn't notice it, now corrected thanks.

10 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

This one has always been interesting to me, that each thing on their banner seems to be representative to who/what the Daynes are since forever, basically. The falling star as the start of their history. Where it fell is where they settled and what they used to forge their super special sword. And the purple for their eye color because it must have been rather unique 10,000 years ago. 

What I find sort of interesting is that while prophecies have talk of bleeding star, it seems like the original Dayne followed a white star.

Now you mentioned the 10000 years, House Dayne is indeed 10000 years old, as stated by Darkstar. They are even older than Starks and the Wall, both going back 8000 years. A Dayne may very well have been the Last Hero set out with his dog and horse and a dozen companions and Dawn may have been broken, just like the Last Hero's sword, only to be reforged again  with blood sacrifice.

This, along with my previous post makes me wonder if the legend of Azor Ahai and Lightbringer comes from Daynes and Dawn(I know it's already a theory).

What is Dawn, if not the bringer of light?

When Ned brings Dawn back to Starfall, Ashara dies shortly after because her heart is broken. Lightbringer(Dawn) tempered in Nissa Nissa's breast (Ashara's heart) perhaps?

Starfall is located near the sea on an island so it also gives us salt for born amidst salt and smoke thing.

"He wouldn't send Ser Loras," Sansa told Jeyne Poole that night as they shared a cold supper by lamplight. "I think it was because of his leg."
Lord Eddard had taken his supper in his bedchamber with Alyn, Harwin, and Vayon Poole, the better to rest his broken leg, and Septa Mordane hadcomplained of sore feet after standing in the gallery all day. Arya was supposed to join them, but she was late coming back from her dancing lesson.
"His leg?" Jeyne said uncertainly. She was a pretty, dark-haired girl of Sansa's own age. "Did Ser Loras hurt his leg?"
"Not his leg," Sansa said, nibbling delicately at a chicken leg. "Father's leg, silly. It hurts him ever so much, it makes him cross. Otherwise I'm certain he would have sent Ser Loras."

No wonder Sansa is enamored with the hound. They both share a passion for chicken.

8 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

No wonder Sansa is enamored with the hound. They both share a passion for chicken.

I think that is a show only thing about the chicken. I just had to look it up because I did not remember the Hound eating chicken. I don't watch the show but I saw a bunch of memes popup and I guess it comes from there? 

Marwyn & Axell Florent look a lot alike.

AXELL FLORENT

ACOK Davos I

Queen Selyse's uncle was a keg of a man with thick arms and bandy legs. He had the prominent ears of a Florent, even larger than his niece's. The coarse hair that sprouted from his ears did not stop him hearing most of what went on in the castle. For ten years Ser Axell had served as castellan of Dragonstone while Stannis sat on Robert's council in King's Landing, but of late he had emerged as the foremost of the queen's men. "Ser Davos, it is good to see you, as ever," he said.

ASOS Davos II

Ser Axell was short and muscular, with a barrel chest, thick arms, bandy legs, and hair growing from his ears. The queen's uncle, he had served as castellan of Dragonstone for a decade, and had always treated Davos courteously, knowing he enjoyed the favor of Lord Stannis. But there was neither courtesy nor warmth in his tone as he said, "Ser Davos, and undrowned. How can that be?"

ASOS Davos IV

A ship. Davos studied the other man's face. Ser Axell had big Florent ears, much like the queen's. Coarse hair grew from them, as from his nostrils; more sprouted in tufts and patches beneath his double chin. His nose was broad, his brow beetled, his eyes close-set and hostile. He would sooner give me a pyre than a ship, he said as much, but if I do him this favor . . .

MARWYN

AFFC Samwell V—Marwyn

Marwyn wore a chain of many metals around his bull's neck. Save for that, he looked more like a dockside thug than a maester. His head was too big for his body, and the way it thrust forward from his shoulders, together with that slab of jaw, made him look as if he were about to tear off someone's head. Though short and squat, he was heavy in the chest and shoulders, with a round, rock-hard ale belly straining at the laces of the leather jerkin he wore in place of robes. Bristly white hair sprouted from his ears and nostrils. His brow beetled, his nose had been broken more than once, and sourleaf had stained his teeth a mottled red. He had the biggest hands that Sam had ever seen.

Marwyn & Axell Florent look a lot alike.

AXELL FLORENT

ACOK Davos I

Queen Selyse's uncle was a keg of a man with thick arms and bandy legs. He had the prominent ears of a Florent, even larger than his niece's. The coarse hair that sprouted from his ears did not stop him hearing most of what went on in the castle. For ten years Ser Axell had served as castellan of Dragonstone while Stannis sat on Robert's council in King's Landing, but of late he had emerged as the foremost of the queen's men. "Ser Davos, it is good to see you, as ever," he said.

ASOS Davos II

Ser Axell was short and muscular, with a barrel chest, thick arms, bandy legs, and hair growing from his ears. The queen's uncle, he had served as castellan of Dragonstone for a decade, and had always treated Davos courteously, knowing he enjoyed the favor of Lord Stannis. But there was neither courtesy nor warmth in his tone as he said, "Ser Davos, and undrowned. How can that be?"

ASOS Davos IV

A ship. Davos studied the other man's face. Ser Axell had big Florent ears, much like the queen's. Coarse hair grew from them, as from his nostrils; more sprouted in tufts and patches beneath his double chin. His nose was broad, his brow beetled, his eyes close-set and hostile. He would sooner give me a pyre than a ship, he said as much, but if I do him this favor . . .

MARWYN

AFFC Samwell V—Marwyn

Marwyn wore a chain of many metals around his bull's neck. Save for that, he looked more like a dockside thug than a maester. His head was too big for his body, and the way it thrust forward from his shoulders, together with that slab of jaw, made him look as if he were about to tear off someone's head. Though short and squat, he was heavy in the chest and shoulders, with a round, rock-hard ale belly straining at the laces of the leather jerkin he wore in place of robes. Bristly white hair sprouted from his ears and nostrils. His brow beetled, his nose had been broken more than once, and sourleaf had stained his teeth a mottled red. He had the biggest hands that Sam had ever seen.

Oh Dude, you gotta start a thread! Just yesterday and this morning I began wondering where Marwyn was from, what house he might be from, and whether he might have a drop of dragonblood. 

Oh Dude, you gotta start a thread! Just yesterday and this morning I began wondering where Marwyn was from, what house he might be from, and whether he might have a drop of dragonblood. 

I have one in process hence the fancy-pants formatting about the appearance of characters involved in dark magics. Craster & Mirri Maz Duur also have some similar features (short/squat, broad/flat noses...), though not as many as Axell and Marwin.

Maggy the Frog and Qyburn though are outlyers. Cersei implies that Maggy's involvement in magic changed her appearance so I'm entertaining the notion that Maggy is very progressed and Qyburn hasn't progressed enough. Not sure if Qyburn's eye color change would be part of this or if it's another Renly whoopsie type situation.

I was looking at the Florents, and I'll think they may be into some woo-woo stuff as it's mentioned back in AGOT that they have a red priest and they're quite ambitious. That Axell is supposed to marry a daughter of Gerric Kingsblood is rather ominous. There's also a pattern of people having some sort of special ability having issues with fertility in some way. That varies quite a lot depending, but basically, the line doesn't carry on in some aspect or one isn't involved in ensuring that the line continues as a lesser version of only death (or not procreating) can pay for life. That's another thread, but Axell fits the pattern which makes me wonder about him as he has never married. Axell is a big R'hllor guy going back pretty far, so I wonder how that came about.

Sorry, think I threw a lot at you there. Not sure when it'll be done as there's a lot that I want to check out yet, but my bandwidth right now is limited. Hope this helps!

What is Dawn, if not the bringer of light?

Ice?

"I am always proud of Bran," Catelyn replied, watching the sword as he stroked it. She could see the rippling deep within the steel, where the metal had been folded back on itself a hundred times in the forging. Catelyn had no love for swords, but she could not deny that Ice had its own beauty. It had been forged in Valyria, before the Doom had come to the old Freehold, when the ironsmiths had worked their metal with spells as well as hammers. Four hundred years old it was, and as sharp as the day it was forged. The name it bore was older still, a legacy from the age of heroes, when the Starks were Kings in the North.

I have one in process hence the fancy-pants formatting about the appearance of characters involved in dark magics. Craster & Mirri Maz Duur also have some similar features (short/squat, broad/flat noses...), though not as many as Axell and Marwin.

Maggy the Frog and Qyburn though are outlyers. Cersei implies that Maggy's involvement in magic changed her appearance so I'm entertaining the notion that Maggy is very progressed and Qyburn hasn't progressed enough. Not sure if Qyburn's eye color change would be part of this or if it's another Renly whoopsie type situation.

I was looking at the Florents, and I'll think they may be into some woo-woo stuff as it's mentioned back in AGOT that they have a red priest and they're quite ambitious. That Axell is supposed to marry a daughter of Gerric Kingsblood is rather ominous. There's also a pattern of people having some sort of special ability having issues with fertility in some way. That varies quite a lot depending, but basically, the line doesn't carry on in some aspect or one isn't involved in ensuring that the line continues as a lesser version of only death (or not procreating) can pay for life. That's another thread, but Axell fits the pattern which makes me wonder about him as he has never married. Axell is a big R'hllor guy going back pretty far, so I wonder how that came about.

Sorry, think I threw a lot at you there. Not sure when it'll be done as there's a lot that I want to check out yet, but my bandwidth right now is limited. Hope this helps!

Woo-woo stuff... I like it. 

Archived