Wow, I never noticed that v.16

On 5/13/2018 at 1:41 AM, Widow's Watch said:

The Shield Islands have fallen to the ironborn, and they start sailing up the Mander into the heart of the Reach. And they are threatening Oldtown and the Arbor by the end of AFFC.

Could it be the foreshadowing of Stannis going to these places to root out iron men?

After all, he is the one who gave them a humiliating defeat the first time, who better to save the realm from these scum of the sea again? Would work well with the whole cart and the horse thing too.

29 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Could it be the foreshadowing of Stannis going to these places to root out iron men?

After all, he is the one who gave them a humiliating defeat the first time, who better to save the realm from these scum of the sea again? Would work well with the whole cart and the horse thing too.

I don't really see Stannis going south. Like, ever again. :crying:

41 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Stannis doesn't have a fleet, though. The bulk of it was made up of Salladhor Saan's ships and he left because he didn't get paid. I think Stannis is going to stay where he thinks he is supposed to fight, in the north. 

His eldest daughter stepped forward hesitantly. She was dressed in blue velvets trimmed with white, a silver chain around her neck. Her thick auburn hair had been brushed until it shone. She blinked at her sister, then at the young prince. "I don't know," she said tearfully, looking as though she wanted to bolt. "I don't remember. Everything happened so fast, I didn't see . . . "

"You rotten!" Arya shrieked. She flew at her sister like an arrow, knocking Sansa down to the ground, pummeling her. "Liar, liar, liar, liar."

Eddard III, Game 16

Arya has a point...

Joffrey is a monster. He lied about the butcher's boy and made Father kill my wolf. 

Sansa I, Storm VI

Aegon ought to have a ready ally among the Faith...

They were passing through Cobbler's Square, where a sizable crowd had gathered beneath the leather awnings to listen to the rantings of a prophet. A robe of undyed wool belted with a hempen rope marked him for one of the begging brothers.

"Corruption!" the man cried shrilly. "There is the warning! Behold the Father's scourge!" He pointed at the fuzzy red wound in the sky. From this vantage, the distant castle on Aegon's High Hill was directly behind him, with the comet hanging forebodingly over its towers. A clever choice of stage, Tyrion reflected. "We have become swollen, bloated, foul. Brother couples with sister in the bed of kings, and the fruit of their incest capers in his palace to the piping of a twisted little monkey demon. Highborn ladies fornicate with fools and give birth to monsters! Even the High Septon has forgotten the gods! He bathes in scented waters and grows fat on lark and lamprey while his people starve! Pride comes before prayer, maggots rule our castles, and gold is all . . . but no more! The Rotten Summer is at an end, and the Whoremonger King is brought low! When the boar did open him, a great stench rose to heaven and a thousand snakes slid forth from his belly, hissing and biting!" He jabbed his bony finger back at comet and castle. "There comes the Harbinger! Cleanse yourselves, the gods cry out, lest ye be cleansed! Bathe in the wine of righteousness, or you shall be bathed in fire! Fire!"

Tyrion V, Clash 20

Cersei regarded him suspiciously. “If you are here about those begging brothers, Tyrion, spare me your reproaches. I won’t have them spreading their filthy treasons in the streets. They can preach to each other in the dungeons.”

"One even dared to say that the gods were punishing us because Jaime murdered the rightful king, Cersei declared. 

Tyrion VI, Clash 25

30 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Aegon ought to have a ready ally among the Faith...

Tyrion V, Clash 20

Tyrion VI, Clash 25

Oh yeah, Aegon will totally have them as an ally. The Faith/7 will rejoice and will worship Aegon when he arrives proper.

Theodan Wells is also the commander of the Warrior's Sons. So at this point, it's more than the High Septon giving his support to Aegon. 

I know some people believe that he may be northman (Theodan Wells), but I don't, especially after we were told that one of Quentyn's companions who was killed was a Wells. So there seems to be a connection there in the men that were picked to assist Quentyn in his mission in Essos.

He could also be one of Doran's spies in King's Landing that he mentioned.

25 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Theodan Wells is also the commander of the Warrior's Sons. So at this point, it's more than the High Septon giving his support to Aegon. 

I know some people believe that he may be northman (Theodan Wells), but I don't, especially after we were told that one of Quentyn's companions who was killed was a Wells. So there seems to be a connection there in the men that were picked to assist Quentyn in his mission in Essos.

He could also be one of Doran's spies in King's Landing that he mentioned.

Great point. 

Powdered, primped, and smelling of rosewater, the Spider rubbed his hands one over the other all the time he spoke. Washing my life away, Tyrion thought, as he listened to the eunuch's mournful account of the Imp schemed to part Joffrey from the Hound's protection and spoke with Bronn of the benefits of having Tommen as king. Half-truths are worth more than outright lies. And unlike the others, Varys had documents; parchments painstakingly filled with notes, details, dates, whole conversations. So much material that its recitation took all day, and so much of it damning. (Tyrion IX, ASOS 66)

I got to wonder if this is something that's going to come back at some point and how much of it Varys has kept throughout the years. 

3 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

I got to wonder if this is something that's going to come back at some point and how much of it Varys has kept throughout the years. 

He must have a file storage somewhere. Perhaps all data is backed up to the cloud... ie, shipped to Illyrio's manse in Pentos. 

Did Bronn suffer any repercussions? 

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Most of us assume that the Others transformed Craster's lads into wee Others, but what do you suppose they did with his sheep? 

Maybe they need wool to pull over all those eyes they are taking...

As in a swordfight, sometimes it is best to try a different stroke. "It's said you fought magnificently in the battle . . . almost as well as Lord Renly's ghost beside you. A Sworn Brother has no secrets from his Lord Commander. Tell me, ser. Who was wearing Renly's armor?"
For a moment Loras Tyrell looked as though he might refuse, but in the end he remembered his vows. "My brother," he said sullenly. "Renly was taller than me, and broader in the chest. His armor was too loose on me, but it suited Garlan well."
 (Jaime VIII, ASOS 67)

This actually has me wondering if Gerold Hightower knew more about what was going on with his wayward Kingsguard than we think. 

"yet Vaes Dothrak is large enough to house every man of every khalasar, should all the khals return to the Mother at once. The crones have prophesied that one day that will come to pass, and so Vaes Dothrak must be ready to embrace all its children."

lol, Mysha

2 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

"yet Vaes Dothrak is large enough to house every man of every khalasar, should all the khals return to the Mother at once. The crones have prophesied that one day that will come to pass, and so Vaes Dothrak must be ready to embrace all its children."

lol, Mysha

Impressive. Most Impressive. 

Within its walls, the castle sprawls across several acres of land, encompassing many freestanding buildings. The oldest of these—a long-abandoned tower, round and squat and covered with gargoyles—has become known as the First Keep. Some take this to mean that it was built by the First Men, but Maester Kennet has definitively proved that it could not have existed before the arrival of the Andals since the First Men and the early Andals raised square towers and keeps. Round towers came sometime later.

This is Pyke

The Sea Tower rose from the outmost island at the point of the broken sword, the oldest part of the castle, round and tall, the sheer-sided pillar on which it stood half-eaten through by the endless battering of the waves. The base of the tower was white from centuries of salt spray, the upper stories green from the lichen that crawled over it like a thick blanket, the jagged crown black with soot from its nightly watchfire.

Within that mighty bulwark, the kitchens and stables and yards sheltered safe from wind and wave. Of towers, there was but one, a colossal drum tower, windowless where it faced the sea, so large that it was granary and barracks and feast hall and lord's dwelling all in one, crowned by massive battlements that made it look from afar like a spiked fist atop an upthrust arm.

This is Storm's End.

The castle rose from the shores of Cape Wrath, on a lofty crag of dark red stone surrounded on three sides by the surging waters of Shipbreaker Bay. Its only approach was defended by a gatehouse, behind which lay the long bare ridge the Conningtons called the griffin's throat. To force the throat could be a bloody business, since the ridge exposed the attackers to the spears, stones, and arrows of defenders in the two roundtowers that flanked the castle's main gates. And once they reached those gates, the men inside could pour down boiling oil on their heads. Griff expected to lose a hundred men, perhaps more.

Griffin's Roost.

Within the castle walls, greenery abounds, and the keeps are surrounded by gardens, arbors, pools, fountains, courtyards, and man-made waterfalls. Ivy covers the older buildings, and grapes and climbing roses snake up the sides of statuary, walls, and towers. Flowers bloom everywhere. The keep is a palace like few others, filled with statues, colonnades, and fountains. Highgarden's tallest towers, round and slender, look down upon neighbors far more ancient, square and grim in appearance, the oldest of them dating from the Age of Heroes. The rest of the castle is of more recent construction, much of it built by King Mern VI after the destruction of the original structures by the Dornish during the reign of Garth Greybeard.

High Garden.

"Beside the entrance, the king’s armor stood sentry; a suit of forestgreen plate, its fittings chased with gold, the helm crowned by a great rack of golden antlers. The steel was polished to such a high sheen that she could see her reflection in the breastplate, gazing back at her as if from the bottom of a deep green pond. The face of a drowned woman, Catelyn thought. Can you drown in grief? She turned away sharply, angry with her own frailty. She had no time for the luxury of self-pity. She must wash the dust from her hair and change into a gown more fitting for a king’s feast." ACOK, Catelyn 22

I found it striking how this reflection seems to predict Catelyn's fate as Lady Stoneheart.  I know she wasn't technically drowned, but she returns with the unhealthy milky-green pallor of death and is consumed by her grief and rage.  

1 hour ago, Ser Brandon said:

"Beside the entrance, the king’s armor stood sentry; a suit of forestgreen plate, its fittings chased with gold, the helm crowned by a great rack of golden antlers. The steel was polished to such a high sheen that she could see her reflection in the breastplate, gazing back at her as if from the bottom of a deep green pond. The face of a drowned woman, Catelyn thought. Can you drown in grief? She turned away sharply, angry with her own frailty. She had no time for the luxury of self-pity. She must wash the dust from her hair and change into a gown more fitting for a king’s feast." ACOK, Catelyn 22

I found it striking how this reflection seems to predict Catelyn's fate as Lady Stoneheart.  I know she wasn't technically drowned, but she returns with the unhealthy milky-green pallor of death and is consumed by her grief and rage.  

I know some here see Stoneheart as just a rage/revenge monster, but passages like this are why I think she's a bit more complicated and will turn out to be more interesting than that.

Archived