Wow, I never noticed that v.16

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but just in case...

Cersei in Feast

"Would that we could do the same to the rest of this foul castle," said Cersei. "After the war I mean to build a new palace beyond the river." She had dreamed of it the night before last, a magnificent white castle surrounded by woods and gardens, long leagues from the stinks and noise of King's Landing.

World Book (Aerys II)

In 265 AC, offended by "the stink of King's Landing," he spoke of building a "white city" entirely of marble on the south bank of the Blackwater Rush.

4 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but just in case...

Cersei in Feast

World Book (Aerys II)

It was used quite often in A+J=C&J threads before TWOIAF cast serious doubt on that theory. 

Yes, Tyrion agreed silently. Baelor Hightower was no longer young but remained Lord Leyton's heir; wealthy, handsome, and a knight of splendid repute. Baelor Brightsmile; they called him now. Had Elia wed him in place of Rhaegar Targaryen, she might be in Oldtown with her children growing tall around her. He wondered how many lives had been snuffed out by that fart. (Tyrion X, ASOS 70)

It's a tad weird that Tyrion would think this. Is he thinking strictly in terms of Elia and her murdered children? Is he thinking in terms of Robert's Rebellion? Is he thinking that Cersei may have ended up marrying Rhaegar in the end?

On 10/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

My poor observations:

• All dead people in the series such as Catelyn Stark and Beric Dondarrion are not married so to avoid marriage relationship of dead people.
  • Beric didn't eat or sleep. So he was not capable of sleeping with Allyria Dayne.
  • Even if Jon is resurrected like Beric he will not be able to produce heir to Winterfell. RICKON is only hope.
  • Marriage contract between Beric Dondarrion from Stormland and Dayne from Dorne was created to introduce Edric Dayne to Arya. 
  • Rugen's coin with imprint of golden hand could hint that Jaime was responsible for Tyrion's escape. But Cersei was not smart enough. Beric
  • Aegon VII could be more suitable for Long Night but GRRM forgot to create one Aegon more. But he didn't forget to write seven death for Beric. Maybe Aegon VI is unimportant character.

Interesting.

Here's one I noticed back in December. I posted it in the TWoW section and always meant to post it here, as well. For years, I've thought the "pink" letter was copied and edited by the conspirators at CB, for a whole host of reasons - but here's the new one, quoted fro the other thread..

a few days ago, while browsing the Theon chapter in ADWD, I noticed this..

"I see you all want blood," the Lord of the Dreadfort said. Maester Rhodry stood beside him, a raven on his arm. The bird's black plumage shone like coal oil in the torchlight. Wet Theon realized. And in his lordship's hand, a parchment. That will be wet as well.

Any letter sent to Jon at Castle Black from Stannis, or anyone at Winterfell would have travelled much farther in the snow storm and would certainly be wet, but neither Jon nor Tormund take note of this, in spite of noticing (or hinting at) many other details.

Just one more sign that whoever wrote a letter to Jon, Jon did not receive it as it was originally written.

There's even a subtle reminder in ADWD, Jon XIII, after Jon reads the letter aloud and just before all hell breaks loose...

Horse and Rory fell in beside Jon as he left the Shieldhall. I should talk with Melisandre after I see the queen, he thought. If she could see a raven in a storm, she can find Ramsay Snow for me. Then he heard the shouting ...

Red Comet -- harbinger of Red Wedding:

A Clash of Kings - Sansa I

"King Joffrey sits where Aegon the Dragon once sat, in the castle built by his son," Ser Arys said. "He is the dragon's heir—and crimson is the color of House Lannister, another sign. This comet is sent to herald Joffrey's ascent to the throne, I have no doubt. It means that he will triumph over his enemies."

Is it true? she wondered. Would the gods be so cruel? Her mother was one of Joffrey's enemies now, her brother Robb another. Her father had died by the king's command. Must Robb and her lady mother die next? The comet was red, but Joffrey was Baratheon as much as Lannister, and their sigil was a black stag on a golden field. Shouldn't the gods have sent Joff a golden comet?

He had not slept since. He could see his brother now, the way the dwarf had grinned beneath the stub of his nose as the torchlight licked his face. "You poor stupid blind crippled fool," he'd snarled, in a voice thick with malice. "Cersei is a lying whore, she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know. And I am the monster they all say I am. Yes, I killed your vile son."
He never said he meant to kill our father. If he had, I would have stopped him. Then I would be the kinslayer, not him.

Noticed this while replying to some other topic ans I "wow"d. Care to guess who said he meant to kill their father?

15 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

He never said he meant to kill our father. If he had, I would have stopped him. Then I would be the kinslayer, not him.

The "he'" is Tyrion.  Jaime is saying that if Tyrion had told Jaime that he intended to kill Tywin that Jaime would have killed Tyrion, thus, Jaime would have been the kinslayer, not Tyrion.

He shut the door and pulled the bell cord. The winch began to turn. They rose. The day was bright and the Wall was weeping, long fingers of water trickling down its face and glinting in the sun. In the close confines of the iron cage, he was acutely aware of the red woman's presence. She even smells red. The scent reminded him of Mikken's forge, of the way iron smelled when red-hot; the scent was smoke and blood(Jon XI, ASOS 76)

It's interesting that this is what Jon equates Mel's scent to. Smoke and blood. Another way of saying fire and blood, perhaps?

3 hours ago, SirArthur said:

I never realized that Giants speak in the language of the First Men. 

It is odd considering they were in Westeros long before First Men and they had interactions with the "Children". Who knows, perhaps they aided men against the Children and got the tongue from there.

I think this might represent the second forging of Lightbringer, when the sword is driven into the heart of a lion:

It was Swordfish, her two banks of oars lifting and falling She had never brought down her sails, and some burning pitch had caught in her rigging. The flames spread as Davos watched, creeping out over ropes and sails until she trailed a head of yellow flame. Her ungainly iron ram, fashioned after the likeness of the fish from which she took her name, parted the surface of the river before her. Directly ahead, drifting toward her and swinging around to present a tempting plump target, was one of the Lannister hulks, floating low in the water. Slow green blood was leaking out between her boards.

When he saw that, Davos Seaworth's heart stopped beating.

"No," he said. "No, NOOOOOO!" Above the roar and crash of battle, no one heard him but Matthos. Certainly the captain of the Swordfish did not, intent as he was on finally spearing something with his ungainly fat sword. The Swordfish went to battle speed. Davos lifted his maimed hand to clutch at the leather pouch that held his fingerbones.

With a grinding, splintering, tearing crash, Swordfish split the rotted hulk asunder. She burst like an overripe fruit, but no fruit had ever screamed that shattering wooden scream. From inside her Davos saw green gushing from a thousand broken jars, poison from the entrails of a dying beast.

(ACoK, Davos III)

It's not a lion, per se, but a Lannister hulk. (Hey, is that a Marvel comics allusion?) The heart that stops beating belongs to Davos. The Swordfish belongs to a fat, fourteen-year-old Lord named Duram Bar Emmon. I guess he must be Azor Ahai reborn. ;)

18 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

It is odd considering they were in Westeros long before First Men and they had interactions with the "Children". Who knows, perhaps they aided men against the Children and got the tongue from there.

They might not have a well developed language by them and would be easier to just get that from first men if they had the chance to coexist in Peace in some moment. 

Tom Sevenstreams has written a bawdy song about the Kingslayer

"Whitesmile Wat went home with Ser Forley, so I thought I’d see if I could win his place. Wat’s got that high sweet voice that the likes o’ me can’t hope to match. But I know twice as many bawdy songs as he does. Begging my lord’s pardon.”
“You should get on famously with my aunt,” said Jaime. “If you hope to winter here, see that your playing pleases Lady Genna. She’s the one that matters.”
“Not you?”
“My place is with the king. I shall not stay here long.”
“I’m sorry to hear that, my lord. I know better songs than ‘The Rains of Castamere.’ I could have played you … oh, all sorts o’ things.”

If Jaime survives, he is going to have to get along with Lady Stoneheart, as he has just turned Riverrun over to her men. Just as well Tom saw him keep his oath to her.

Ox-head and Horse-face are two guardians of the underworld in Chinese Mythology.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ox-Head_and_Horse-Face

We already have a horseface, Arya, but who is Ox-head, if we have any?

An ox is a castrated bull and just so it happens we have a bullhead.

"Mind your filthy tongue," the master said. "This is the King's own Hand." The boy lowered his eyes. "A smart boy, but stubborn. That helm … the others call him bullheaded, so he threw it in their teeth."

Poor Gendry, he'll become an unsullied.

"I want my dragon."
"To be sure." The coin appeared. The alchemist made it walk across his knuckles, the way he had when Rosey brought the two of them together. In the morning light the dragon glittered as it moved, and gave the alchemist's fingers a golden glow.
Pate grabbed it from his hand. The gold felt warm against his palm. He brought it to his mouth and bit down on it the way he'd seen men do. If truth be told, he wasn't sure what gold should taste like, but he did not want to look a fool. 

(...)
"Oh." Pate had run out of words. He drew out the key and put it in the stranger's hand, feeling light-headed, almost giddy. Rosey, he reminded himself. "We're done, then."
He was halfway down the alley when the cobblestones began to move beneath his feet.
The stones are slick and wet, he thought, but that was not it. He could feel his heart hammering in his chest. "What's happening?" he said. His legs had turned to water. "I don't understand."
"And never will," a voice said sadly.
The cobblestones rushed up to kiss him. Pate tried to cry for help, but his voice was failing too. 
(Prologue, AFFC)

The kindly man was waiting for her at the House of Black and White, seated on the edge of the temple pool. The ugly girl sat next to him and put a coin on the lip of the pool between them. It was gold, with a dragon on one face and a king on the other.
"The golden dragon of Westeros," said the kindly man. "And how did you come by this? We are no thieves."
"I wasn't stealing. I took one of his, but I left him one of ours."
The kindly man understood. "And with that coin and the others in his purse, he paid a certain man. Soon after that man's heart gave out. Is that the way of it? Very sad." 
(The Ugly Little Girl, ADWD)

Arya and Jaqen killed their men the same way.

Archived