Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S4 - We Want to Be Here [spoilers]

HexMachina

Fit hot guys have problems too is the song and dance routine I didn’t know I needed or wanted but I absolutely did need and want it. Also loved WhiJo’s comments about gay bars.

I called Josh being a stripper or something in that ballpark from the first mention of volunteer fireman. 

Oh Rebecca :( Some more very tactful yet accurate depiction of mental illnesses this episode. “She’s had to forgive me so many times...I really am the worst...” this is a big thing for many people suffering from mental illness but BPD in particular. And it’s already come up in discussion for this thread too how some posters can’t believe people are still forgiving Rebecca/friends with her.

What does everyone think of the egg donor thing? Rebecca obviously hasn’t thought it through and it’s likely a part of her issues that she so impulsively offers to do that. I wonder though if it is such an awful idea if she had sat down and really considered it. Interested to see what they decide to do here. 

Eta: also those Oktoberfest outfits were brilliant and Heather was right when she said she was working it

edit2: “later hosen” :lmao: that has to be an improv line.

edit 3: here is grocery clerk with half an eyelid who had some of his wedding speech cut for time

https://twitter.com/BenjaminJS/status/952055587826679809?s=17

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Fit hot guys have problems too is the song and dance routine I didn’t know I needed or wanted but I absolutely did need and want it. Also loved WhiJo’s comments about gay bars.

This episode was really funny. The last one did not seem that good for me, but both songs and some comments in this one were hilarious. But shift manager Heather was the high point of the episode. Greg would be so proud of her. :P

I called Josh being a stripper or something in that ballpark from the first mention of volunteer fireman. 

I totally didn't get it. :leaving: I remembered his embarrassing episode as a model, but did not connect. I was really wondering what it could be that he was doing.

Oh Rebecca :( Some more very tactful yet accurate depiction of mental illnesses this episode. “She’s had to forgive me so many times...I really am the worst...” this is a big thing for many people suffering from mental illness but BPD in particular. And it’s already come up in discussion for this thread too how some posters can’t believe people are still forgiving Rebecca/friends with her.

What does everyone think of the egg donor thing? Rebecca obviously hasn’t thought it through and it’s likely a part of her issues that she so impulsively offers to do that. I wonder though if it is such an awful idea if she had sat down and really considered it. Interested to see what they decide to do here. 

I don't think it is a good idea to make parenthood for Darryl more complicated by passing on some of her genetic predisposition for anxiety and depression. :( I am sorry if that sounds harsh. I have no idea if BPD can be passed down to the next generation, but if Rebecca's disorder can be inherited, then maybe it would be a better idea to find a healthy donor for Darryl's child. :( I expect Dr. Shin to be of the same opinion. Even Paula, who is generally down with almost anything, was doubtful.

Eta: also those Oktoberfest outfits were brilliant and Heather was right when she said she was working it

edit2: “later hosen” :lmao: that has to be an improv line.

This was indeed very funny. :D

At first I thought that the man Ally was cheating with was the taco festival vegan guy. Also, the whole poker scenes really didn't make any sense in the bigger picture, but I am so happy they were there even if just for the joke about Mrs. Hernandez buying one peach every week.

And here is a mashup of so many beautiful songs.

Discovered last night that Maya had an appearance in Parks and Rec back when it was on. She hands out snow cones to Leslie and Jamm while they play mini gold. Leslie would be proud to know she stuck in at school and eventually became a lawyer and had a three-way :P 

Also, Buckwheat will be happy to learn Maya is back in the next episode, which looks to focus on the Whitefeather office. The promo didn’t seem to show Karen though :( Also it’s not airing until 26th January so we miss a week again. Stupid CW programming.

edit: why doesn’t Spotify have this week’s songs available yet?

I don’t like this season. I get that it’s a new approach to discussing mental illness, and I’m sure people appreciate that it’s (most likely) a realistic and more serious way of handling the topic than in the previous seasons. That’s a good and respectable thing. 

I however kinda sorta watch this for the questionable entertainment value and I’m saying that without any intention of offending anybody. And I’m not particularly entertained. There has not been a progress in the plot since Rebecca started therapy and the subplots have basically vanished. What I see is Rebecca doing the same thing over and over in every episode. She thinks she learns something and it turns out she didn’t, she just goes back and forth back and forth. That would be okay if there was another plot supporting the story, but there isn’t. Darryl’s baby crusade is the same back and forth dance and frankly it’s annoying. Darryl is generally very annoying. Nothing happens to Valencia and Heather, they have had zero screen time in the past episodes, White Josh and Josh also have no plot they are just hanging in mid air and the only thing Paula has done was the stunt with the first donor. 

I get that the show is about everybody’s being crazy and obsessed and the statement that there’s no easy way out of that and it’s a whirlpool that just takes them round and round and round through the same circles. That’s a respectable and noble message. But again, without trying to offend anybody, dramaturgically it’s just boring and/or annoying. 

@HelenaExMachina

I cannot make sense of this scheduling. Why 26th January again?

Yay, Maya and the rest of the office crew. It looks like they are not on board with Rebecca's plan though. Did they actually ended up getting used to a certain evil new boss they all started off hating?

The thing about a three-way reminded me ... when Paula first brought up Mrs. Hernandez spying on everybody in the office, I thought it was a lie because well, it is Paula. She is the one we have seen spy on people, hack into their emails, social media accounts etc., so I would not be surprised to learn she "overheard" Darryl's conversations or read his emails or whatever too. I was suprised to then see Mrs. Hernandez actually being the one spying on all conversations. I cannot make sense of that character at all. :D

@RhaenysB

I am sure that people like the depiction of mental illness and diversity and whatnot, but I am. like you, somebody who mostly watches for the entertainment value ... which I think is brilliant. I thought that this last episode was hilarious, from Heather being the absolute boss at Home Base to Rachel using scones to define how much money people have to the appearance of the casting girl who was previously hired by Nathaniel. Also puns. And songs, and hot guys who I definitely didn't objectify with my male and female gaze. :P

Another thing I very much enjoy with this show is the self-commentary in regards with this being a piece of media ... the entirety of "Who's the new guy?", "this video ate up our production budget", the "this mike cost 300 dollars!" guy ... these things always make me laugh. The last few episodes since "The end of the movie" didn't have much of that, but even just "The end of the movie" is so brilliant and literally no other show I have seen is so self-aware. My lit-theoretical background shows, right? :blushing:

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree on what is funny. :P I am excited to see the end of the season. Maybe the lack of progress in the past few episodes is just setting the ground for the last few episodes, where things start happening faster. I admit I am not that interested in Darryl's child plot either, but I am interested in seeing Nathaniel deal with rejection.

8 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

@HelenaExMachina

I cannot make sense of this scheduling. Why 26th January again?

Yay, Maya and the rest of the office crew. It looks like they are not on board with Rebecca's plan though. Did they actually ended up getting used to a certain evil new boss they all started off hating?

The thing about a three-way reminded me ... when Paula first brought up Mrs. Hernandez spying on everybody in the office, I thought it was a lie because well, it is Paula. She is the one we have seen spy on people, hack into their emails, social media accounts etc., so I would not be surprised to learn she "overheard" Darryl's conversations or read his emails or whatever too. I was suprised to then see Mrs. Hernandez actually being the one spying on all conversations. I cannot make sense of that character at all. :D

@RhaenysB

I am sure that people like the depiction of mental illness and diversity and whatnot, but I am. like you, somebody who mostly watches for the entertainment value ... which I think is brilliant. I thought that this last episode was hilarious, from Heather being the absolute boss at Home Base to Rachel using scones to define how much money people have to the appearance of the casting girl who was previously hired by Nathaniel. Also puns. And songs, and hot guys who I definitely didn't objectify with my male and female gaze. :P

Another thing I very much enjoy with this show is the self-commentary in regards with this being a piece of media ... the entirety of "Who's the new guy?", "this video ate up our production budget", the "this mike cost 300 dollars!" guy ... these things always make me laugh. The last few episodes since "The end of the movie" didn't have much of that, but even just "The end of the movie" is so brilliant and literally no other show I have seen is so self-aware. My lit-theoretical background shows, right? :blushing:

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree on what is funny. :P I am excited to see the end of the season. Maybe the lack of progress in the past few episodes is just setting the ground for the last few episodes, where things start happening faster. I admit I am not that interested in Darryl's child plot either, but I am interested in seeing Nathaniel deal with rejection.

The scone thing was a lol moment, Heather and Valencia seem non-existent to me. So does josh and whi-jo at this point. The one thing I have to give this episode is the strip dance of the guys. Nathaniel looked out of place, but the joshes look like a dream :drool:  like let’s combine who-jo’s arms and josh’s abs and thighs and damn that’s perfection right there for yah. :lol: the song was pretty flat and annoying though. 

14 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

The scone thing was a lol moment, Heather and Valencia seem non-existent to me. So does josh and whi-jo at this point. The one thing I have to give this episode is the strip dance of the guys. Nathaniel looked out of place, but the joshes look like a dream :drool:  like let’s combine who-jo’s arms and josh’s abs and thighs and damn that’s perfection right there for yah. :lol: the song was pretty flat and annoying though. 

Wasn't the last episode the most we have seen of White Josh ever? This was the first time he had an important part in a song (I remember him in the background of Ping Pong Girl, and he had a line or two in Where's Rebecca Bunch, but that is ... all?). It is an odd episode to complain about White Josh being in it too little. More Valencia and Heather would be always good, especially Heather, but I am sure they are going to get somewhere with them. :)

It has been said before, and it will be said again: you and I will never, ever fight over guys. :lol: I think Nathaniel was the best-looking of the three. :blushing: Not that we looked at them, obviously!

Also, that song was a stroke of genius.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Wasn't the last episode the most we have seen of White Josh ever? This was the first time he had an important part in a song (I remember him in the background of Ping Pong Girl, and he had a line or two in Where's Rebecca Bunch, but that is ... all?). It is an odd episode to complain about White Josh being in it too little. More Valencia and Heather would be always good, especially Heather, but I am sure they are going to get somewhere with them. :)

It has been said before, and it will be said again: you and I will never, ever fight over guys. :lol: I think Nathaniel was the best-looking of the three. :blushing: Not that we looked at them, obviously!

Also, that song was a stroke of genius.

Yeah, you’re right. Whi-jo does indeed have the most screentime and story from the characters I complained about. Kinda because he’s been part of the one and only living subplot, the Darryl baby project, and now he’s being rolled up into the Nathaniel plot which might be going somewhere now that it isn’t centered around sex and cuddling with Rebecca. 

Yeah, that is established again and again whenever we discuss male characters or their actors. We just never ever agree :lol: and of course, we never did such. We would never look at hot men in underwear and drool over the television set. 

The public wifi network I was logged on just forbade me to enter this thread because "safety on the Internet". Apparently Crazy Ex is so unsafe that you should not even open a thread about it. :P

13 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Yeah, that is established again and again whenever we discuss male characters or their actors. We just never ever agree :lol: and of course, we never did such. We would never look at hot men in underwear and drool over the television set.

I forgot to mention that Greg is still the cutest guy on this show, despite not even being in the season. :leaving:

Some things I thought were inconsistent in the last episode:

- Why would Nathaniel invite Josh to join them in being sad? Nathaniel does not like Josh and has a bad opinion of him.

- I don't think Home Base even offers celery on their menu. Heather should have told something like that. :P

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

The public wifi network I was logged on just forbade me to enter this thread because "safety on the Internet". Apparently Crazy Ex is so unsafe that you should not even open a thread about it. :P

I forgot to mention that Greg is still the cutest guy on this show, despite not even being in the season. :leaving:

Some things I thought were inconsistent in the last episode:

- Why would Nathaniel invite Josh to join them in being sad? Nathaniel does not like Josh and has a bad opinion of him.

- I don't think Home Base even offers celery on their menu. Heather should have told something like that. :P

Also, Rebecca is really not worried about being in therapy, not working and having 30 scones in her bank account. It was much easier when she was just rich. If they are going to acknowledge that her money runs out, they kinda need to deal with the issues this causes. Or just don’t acknowledge it and pretend Rebecca never ran out of her New York job money or has other funds like family inheritance or anything. 

I simply imagine her mother has been sending her money since she stopped working. If you don't even visit your child after a suicide attempt and help in other ways, then the very least you can do is help them financially.

Obviously this raises the question how Naomi gets any money, because she does not seem to work either, but lives alone in a big house and can afford expensive cosmetics which she even keeps sending to Rebecca. Not to mention Yale and Harvard tuition fees (at least that can be partly explained by Rebecca probably getting some high scholarships because she had ridiculously high grades, but still, Naomi complains about that).

Also we never heard if/when Valencia completely stopped teaching yoga and what happened with her studio and how she managed to keep living in the flat she had had with Josh (her name was not on the lease).

So yeah, some practical parts of the show just don't add up. Well, it is a comedy, I guess ... :wacko:

@HelenaExMachina, don't be so vulgar. :blushing::blushing::blushing:

18 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Also, Rebecca is really not worried about being in therapy, not working and having 30 scones in her bank account. It was much easier when she was just rich. If they are going to acknowledge that her money runs out, they kinda need to deal with the issues this causes. Or just don’t acknowledge it and pretend Rebecca never ran out of her New York job money or has other funds like family inheritance or anything. 

Well next week’s promo shows her trying to return to work. So they kind of are addressing it by doing that.

3 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I simply imagine her mother has been sending her money since she stopped working. If you don't even visit your child after a suicide attempt and help in other ways, the very least you can so is help them financially.

Obviously this raises the question how Naomi gets any money, because she does not seem to work either, but lives alone in a big house and can afford expensive cosmetics which she even keeps sending to Rebecca. Not to mention Yale and Harvard tuition fees (at least that can be partly explained by Rebecca probably getting some high scholarships because she had ridiculously high grades, but still, Naomi complains about that).

Also we never heard if/when Valencia completely stopped teaching yoga and what happened with her studio and how she managed to keep living in the flat she had had with Josh (her name was not on the lease).

So yeah, some practical parts of the show just don't add up. Well, it is a comedy, I guess ... :wacko:

@HelenaExMachina, don't be so vulgar. :blushing::blushing::blushing:

It was all Paula!

Re: Naomi, she seems to come from a wealthy family. She could have various investments or trust funds or stuff like that, it’s never specified so that part not a plot hole or impracticality. 

Valencia and Josh probably had the lease changed when they broke up and he moved out. Makes sense otherwise he gets stuck with the legal obligation to pay rent on the apartment. Or, of course, she could have moved somewhere smaller. I don’t think we have seen Valencia in her own home since season 1 have we?

They are actually pretty inconsistent with quite a few things but it’s okay for the most part, as it doesn’t usually have to do with Rebecca’s main plot. (Like, a season ago Lourdes was asking Josh to MOVE BACK IN with them and now she is throwing him out like he’s been clinging to her for year even though she hated it, that felt a little off for me too) 

It’s really nice how Helena turns into a die-hard fan who defends the show no matter what when it comes to CXG :D that’s adorable. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Re: Naomi, she seems to come from a wealthy family. She could have various investments or trust funds or stuff like that, it’s never specified so that part not a plot hole or impracticality. 

Valencia and Josh probably had the lease changed when they broke up and he moved out. Makes sense otherwise he gets stuck with the legal obligation to pay rent on the apartment. Or, of course, she could have moved somewhere smaller. I don’t think we have seen Valencia in her own home since season 1 have we?

I assmued Naomi was somehow rich from whenever back as well.

They did show Valencia in her apartment once - Heather went to visit her. It was in the same apartment that Josh and Valencia lived in in season 1.

Lourdes probably just became fed up with Josh. She probably thought Josh only needed some time to figure things out, back then he still had the job at Aloha and the parents thought he just needed enough time to find a new suitable apartment after breaking up with Valencia. Then he planned the wedding with Rebecca (I don't remember where they planned to live, actually? - I interpreted that as Rebecca only thinking about the wedding itself and being married, and forgetting about all the practical concerns about what comes after) and when that feel through, he spent a few weeks thinking he might become a priest ... and then he decided not to, and then he did not even have the job at Aloha anymore, and then he got fired in the first week as a bartender at Home Base. I assume somewhere around here is where the parents had enough of him and decided he needs to move out because that would make him take responsibility over his life. As in, at some point they, especially Lourdes, just decided that they had been supportive long enough and it has not worked.

7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

It was probably that Lourdes regularly enabled Josh's immaturity, and just only realized now that trying to help him was preventing him from developing exactly what she wanted to help him with.

Yes. The second act of season three is very much looking t the question “what comes next?” A diagnosis is important but it’s not the end. It means a lot for all of the characters, and not just Rebecca. Like, most of them have had their lives on hold and/or changed by Rebecca whirlwinding into West Covina. What we have seen so far in Part two is characters trying to move their lives forward and grow as individuals (not necessarily successfully, because after all “life doesn’t make narrative sense” and failing to change is entirely believable. How many of us promise we will change and don’t?) 

27 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

How many episodes are left of this this season? The episodes should start picking up speed towards the finale now, right?

Anyway, since there is no episode this weekend, have a quiz to pass the time.

Four. Just saw Rachel tweet that they will air uninterrupted from now, which good! Also when I was reading the tweet I couldn’t help think:

”The show won’t be ignored,

The show won’t be interrupted, 

Becauuuusse-“

:lol: 

Edit: I did reasonably well on the quiz. A couple I knew but didn’t word correctly (e.g. what’ll it be) and I forgot a couple of reprises but most I remembered. Had no idea on some like Cleanup in Aisle 4 though!

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Four. Just saw Rachel tweet that they will air uninterrupted from now, which good! Also when I was reading the tweet I couldn’t help think:

”The show won’t be ignored,

The show won’t be interrupted, 

Becauuuusse-“

Edit: I did reasonably well on the quiz. A couple I knew but didn’t word correctly (e.g. what’ll it be) and I forgot a couple of reprises but most I remembered. Had no idea on some like Cleanup in Aisle 4 though!

It is a very detailed quiz, it even accepts "The Maya"!

Archived