Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S4 - We Want to Be Here [spoilers]

HexMachina

“Why do you have Shania Twain as your background?”

*speech*

”That Don’t impress me much”

:bowdown::rofl: 

Whats a reprise? :P 

Overall I liked it. The only thing im not sure of is Heather offering to be a surrogate. The conversation between her and Kevin though “so...what are you?” :lmao: 

And shame on me for not recognising Bert in the earlier episode! Of course he is the water conspiracy theorist

eta @Buckwheat more meta stuff

This episode was ... weird in that so many things happened at once and so many characters did ... things you would not expect. I mean, this was always a show about people making not well-thought out decisions, but just here ...

- Rebecca going through the egg donation - I expected Paula and dr. Shin to talk her out of it. She now hides things from her therapist, and a few weeks ago she was trying to be his super favourite best -student- patient!

- Heather's offer? What was that? I thought her "I'll do it" was a red herring, answer to something Hector said off-screen.

- "Hectaer" moving in together - that is really quick, their relationship cannot be longer than ... two months or so? Well, it is not like we know a lot of details about them. Do we know what Hector does for a living? Is Rebecca (who is also broke) going to pay for his rent now too? I expect Heather will get a significant raise now.

- Darryl's ex-wife being willing to contest the sale of the shares? One would expect her to want to have as little as possible with her ex-husband's law firm, seeing how happy and quick she was willing to sell to Nathaniel in the first place. She gets almost nothing from it.

In addition to a random reveal about how the water conspiracy theorist has millions that he is willing to give to a law firm just like that ...

I enjoyed the episode and laughed a lot at the reprise about the new guy, but it seems that they just wanted to squeeze so much plot in that they had to find some solutions completely out of the left field.

At least the "Rebecca impulsively has sex with men she probably shouldn't" pattern is still intact.

I would have liked another musical sequence, although I enjoyed both that were there. I kind of expected one during Rebecca's trip to the dark underbelly of the Internet. Or at least an appearance of Trent, he is always ready to do some dirty business for her.

I really enjoyed Rebecca's conversation with Audra's husband. :P Also, did she really think a ring would be worth enough to buy half a law firm?

Questions left unanswered:

- What the hell did Heather graduate in? And when will it occur to her that she can go back to being a student by getting into a post-grad program?

- Darryl's surrogate is already pregnant with ... Darryl's sperm and the last donor's egg? Or some other guy's sperm? Is Darryl getting two babies now? 

- How can things happen so quickly? Rebecca decides to sue Nathaniel - Rebecca finds a loophole in the sale - (bunch of legal stuff probably must have happened here) - they go to court - the judge decides - Rebecca goes to group therapy and gets Bert to invest in the firm - Bert buys the shares from Rebecca and transfers the rights to decide everything to Rebecca - Rebecca moves into Nathaniel's office should have taken weeks, no?

Bert doesn’t have millions, he is a Bitcoin thousandaire (because of course Bitcoin :P).

i knew you would like He’s the new guy.

And not sure if you noticed but during Rebecca’s search of The Dark Web “Research Me Obsessively” was playing as backing music 

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Bert doesn’t have millions, he is a Bitcoin thousandaire (because of course Bitcoin :P).

I guess I do not know enough about bitcoins. But the question remains, why would he suddenly invest them in a company for a person he barely knows, only to transfer all the rights to decide anything about it in the future.

As did Darryl, he does not even have a third of the vote on anything about the office he started? :idea:

i knew you would like He’s the new guy.

It was a good reminder that Nathaniel is still a villain, not going to be changed by some quirky girl he met at work. ;)

And not sure if you noticed but during Rebecca’s search of The Dark Web “Research Me Obsessively” was playing as backing music 

I missed that! I expected it, but did not notice, so I was a bit disappointed in that scene because of that.

And the lack of Trent. This season lacks Trent completely. We had an episode full of Ally and Marty and some grocery clerk with half an eyelid, we had a solo by Tim the minor character, we had B. J. Novak, dr. Phil and Audra's husband in the same episode ... surely there must be time for Trent somewhere too.

Bert also suffers from BPD so it’s not exactly surprising he is as impulsive as Rebecca and makes ill considered decision. Plus he needs the tax break ;) And by saying he isn’t a millionaire I just meant he had thousands rather than millions, which is distinctly less impressive

The show is still repetitive and boring and makes less and less sense.

You don’t just become the manager of three diners two weeks into your new job. You don’t just convince your ex colleagues to turn against their boss who is at this point really not that awful to them just because you are loud enough. At least ONE of all those people should have told her to go home and watch tv and walk away. You don’t just invite yourself over to a person’s hot tub with whom you had two minutes of interaction two years ago when you attempted to frame them as a thief. You don’t just take a three mile step ahead in your career and decide to get pregnant two minutes later. You don’t just go to therapy and lie to your therapist AND ask your fellow patients to also lie to their therapist for you. What level of fucked up is that? 

And the entire episode was a reprise. Rebecca trying to screw someone through a legal case and rallying unwilling people to the cause that actually only serves her selfish interest. Card played. Rebecca having impulsive sex. Card played. Darryl failing to get a surrogate/donor. Card played. Song. Card played. The one thing I haven’t seen before was the Heather storyline. It was just surreal, but at least it kept me watching. 

All in all, I didn’t hate this, but I still keep asking myself why I watch it and where it’s going, because frankly, I don’t see a purpose. Are we just going to go round and round over and over again to represent rebecca’s struggle? I still get that this might be realistic and represent the message they want to send about mental illness. But it’s still a very very bad storytelling strategy. 

17 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

You don’t just become the manager of three diners two weeks into your new job.

I thought Heather's plot was the one that made the most sense here. :P She has been working there for a while now (since she was together with Greg) and was apparently good at it, she was already somewhat managing the West Covina Home Base one episode ago.

17 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

You don’t just convince your ex colleagues to turn against their boss who is at this point really not that awful to them just because you are loud enough. At least ONE of all those people should have told her to go home and watch tv and walk away. You don’t just invite yourself over to a person’s hot tub with whom you had two minutes of interaction two years ago when you attempted to frame them as a thief. You don’t just take a three mile step ahead in your career and decide to get pregnant two minutes later. You don’t just go to therapy and lie to your therapist AND ask your fellow patients to also lie to their therapist for you. What level of fucked up is that?

Yes. But lets not pretend this show ever had the most realistic plotting. The episode was most egregious in that regard, true.

17 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I would take a Karen appearance over Trent, fwiw

Nooooo! :fencing: Trent was funnily creepy and actually did important stuff. All Karen ever did was talk about adult toys and menstrual cups.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I thought Heather's plot was the one that made the most sense here. :P She has been working there for a while now (since she was together with Greg) and was apparently good at it, she was already somewhat managing the West Covina Home Base one episode ago.

Yes. But lets not pretend this show ever had the most realistic plotting. The episode was most egregious in that regard, true.

Nooooo! :fencing: Trent was funnily creepy and actually did important stuff. All Karen ever did was talk about adult toys and menstrual cups.

What about her sordid relationship with Long John Slither? :D 

I don't know.

I can't believe they actually went through the whole egg donation and pregnant Heather plot. Just to give Darryl a baby? Why couldn't they have him miraculously adopt if that was so necessary?

I teared up during Rebecca's talk with Dr. Akopian.

So before we get into analysing the last few episodes of this season, lets just take a moment to appreciate the explicit version of the song about cats (make sure you watch the whole video) and this brilliance. I saw a spoilerific picture or two of this song before, but I still laughed the most I have ever laughed at this show when I saw it.

:rofl: I will never read an article from The Atlantic the same way again.

can we also appreciate the choreography for Paula, Valencia, Heather and Rebecca at the start there please?

Also the choreography for Valencia and Josh at the end...

basically the choreography on this show deserves more love than it gets...

Does The Atlantic have some special reputation for being an awful newspaper or something? Am I missing something about this joke, is it important that the paper they mention is The Atlantic?

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

:rofl: I will never read an article from The Atlantic the same way again.

can we also appreciate the choreography for Paula, Valencia, Heather and Rebecca at the start there please?

Of course. Very cat-like. :D

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Also the choreography for Valencia and Josh at the end...

basically the choreography on this show deserves more love than it gets...

Indeed. Even if they cannot afford more than two backup dancers, like in Trent's version of I'm jus a girl boy in love ... I will just explain it to myself that he made all the other backup dancers disappear in a puff of smoke after they started to argue with him. :P

I wish Valencia's story to how she got here were explored more. Also who hires a wedding planner for a 16-year-old's birthday party.

How the hell did nobody know that Rebecca and Nathaniel were having an affair in the office for so long? An oppossum and a cat fighting in a supply closet, really? And nobody realised that the door was always locked and they heard weird noises when Nathaniel and Rebecca were not in their office? And the janitor told nobody? I know that half the people in that workplace are supposed to be too stupid for what they have to do, but there is a big difference between making mistakes in legal writing and not recognising the sound of two people "sorting Hogwarts houses". I cannot believe that Paula the amateur detective wouldn't know about it in the first week.

Also, I know it was given from the start that Darryl is supposed to be a very good parent, but how do we actually know he is? I just remember other people saying he is a good caring father, but have we actually seen him handle a complicated situation with Madison, or heard him say something like "I cannot work on a Saturday/hang out tonight/have people over because I am taking Madison to a zoo/am going to Madison's school play/am taking her to the doctor/am buying her a birthday present/whatever." I have been wondering about this for some time now, at least since the trip to the yurt - I realise she is probably spending time with her mother every time Darryl does something, but still, leaving town for weeks without knowing when you would return and without any communication with your daughter for whom you have full custody (I assume he is the first person they would try to contact if anything went wrong in school, for example) seems weird to me. At least with Paula we know that she is a negligent parent who pretty much decided that her children are terrible (mostly because they are not girls). Darryl is supposed to be this excellent parent, but I don't think it really comes across.

I ramble. I still love this show and I think the last episode - the one with Trent - was very funny and better than the one before it with the 8-month time skip.

Oh I watched the latest episode of this too... I mean... 

I can’t decide if the Valencia or the Heather-Darryl plot is more ridiculous. Definitely not the Trent one and that says a lot about the others. The cat song switched the rage button in my head again, I should have fastforwarded it. 

I hear the next is the last episode of the season. I’ll be curious to see how they end this marvellous season. 

Archived