Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S4 - We Want to Be Here [spoilers]

HexMachina

As shocking as that may sound, I was actually happy with this episode for the most part.

I was happy to see that Rebecca went back to work because her simoleon cheatcode finally wore off and she needed actual money to afford therapy and food and housing and well, life. I was happy that Jim went back to being a lawyer and that an answer to Rebecca’s career crisis was not becoming a pretzel sales person, but opening her own business (because heck, I’m sure she would have missed her lawyer hourly fee after about two months on a pretzel sales person wage). I was happy that even though they got married for insurance, Heather and... heather’s boyfriend actually felt the feels at their wedding, and I was happy that heather agreed to a celebration and a church wedding because her boyfriend wanted it. And man, I was bawling rivers of tears of happiness that’s daryl wasn’t in this episode. Josh was a waste of screentime, but what do you expect, and I still don’t understand what kinda of purpose they think maya is serving. 

The lawyer throwing himself out of the window was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

I sure hope Hector gets health insurance now.

Oh, and Maya's purpose is literally just being there and saying random stuff that makes everybody feel uncomfortable and to raise the awkwardness level of the conversations.

My question is, where is George? We got almost everybody from the office this episode, Tim, Jim, Nathaniel, Bert, Maya - but no George? We need some uplifting ska!

Pleasantly surprised that I got at least one of the song references this time.

Okay, um, so what's the deal with the university Jim went to? It was implied that he went to Arizona State, but now in his song he says Glendale. Are those two different names for the same university, is one part of the other, or is this a continuity mistake in a show that follows up on almost anything (callback to S1 E1 with Rebecca leaving the office mumbling she does not feel good, objectively fantastic!)?

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Okay, um, so what's the deal with the university Jim went to? It was implied that he went to Arizona State, but now in his song he says Glendale. Are those two different names for the same university, is one part of the other, or is this a continuity mistake in a show that follows up on almost anything (callback to S1 E1 with Rebecca leaving the office mumbling she does not feel good, objectively fantastic!)?

Maybe he went to Arizona State for undergrad and Glendale for law school? Jim has a recurring 'go Sundevils' gag all the way back to like season 2. (I now know that US universities have sports teams, those teams have names, and people are aware of those names and wear shirts and stuff. Who knew.)

10 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Maybe he went to Arizona State for undergrad and Glendale for law school? Jim has a recurring 'go Sundevils' gag all the way back to like season 2. (I now know that US universities have sports teams, those teams have names, and people are aware of those names and wear shirts and stuff. Who knew.)

Oh. Okay. Possible. I mean, I knew that US universities have sports teams and such, but I don't really understand anything else about the US education system, so let's go with that.

9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Oh. Okay. Possible. I mean, I knew that US universities have sports teams and such, but I don't really understand anything else about the US education system, so let's go with that.

It is really, really weird how into it they are. Like, people here wear their own university's stuff (shirts, hats, socks. There are socks!) around their own university, on a daily basis. I don't get it, but its a thing. And the sports team(s) seem to be a big avenue of that symbolism.

Back to the show, I did snerk at Rebecca being a judgey date app swiper...this is so becoming me. Which 'University of California', fellow?

I also had a moment of yelling at the screen 'DO NOT SLEEP TOGETHER' because it briefly seemed like a Rebecca-Josh hookup was catastrophically in the cards (good writing for making me entertain it though) and there might even be something ironically satisfying about an older, wiser, more mature Rebecca and Josh ending up giving it a go with less fantasies of perfection and solutions-to-all-life's-problems - they do have chemistry and some sympathy at the end of the day, though are a ridiculous mis-match in every other way (ala the art historian who just wanted to sleep with a hot DJ and not get know him.) 'I am neither a concept nor an object' was pretty funny.

The lawyer song was pretty good too, though I'm not sure about Rebecca's turn to small business owner - it makes sense that there are voids in her life and she needs to figure out who she wants to be in the world and to the people around her, but I feel placing it on her suddenly realizing that she doesn't want to be a lawyer is a bit out of the blue.

Yes, she ran away from the New York job, but that seemed more like it was oriented around a fear of being locked into something for the rest of her life and possibly a certain self-sabotaging, fear-of-success type thing, not per se hating being a lawyer. For the rest of the show, her job is one place where she is consistently the master of all she surveys and seems to be able to get her act together for at the snap of a finger if its required. This intro sequence showing all her skipping work episodes as 'Rebecca hates being a lawyer' felt like a retcon to me from what were at the time established as 'Rebecca is letting her issues fuck with her profession and career, finances and basic adulting in ways indicative of a mental health disorder rather than just normal life drama.' Which I think is better.

That said, I've recently discovered that "white-collar professionally successful young woman has to move to a small town for reasons and opens a food-related  business and then solves murders" is totally its own mystery sub-genre, so I'm completely expecting Rebecca to find a body in the lobby the moment she opens that Pretzel Place.

Really enjoyed this episode actually. The season hadn’t really clicked for me the first three episodes but I felt like this was close to a return to form. Some nice character work, loved the child star song. Humour was better and more akin to the snappy one liners of the past. “Oh right theatre, female directors.” The Greg tease got me too. 

:lol: at the perfume ad at the end.

Sooo we watched the short and compressed version of Rebecca’s story through Rebecca’s obsessive half brother and Nathaniel. The repetition never ends. I mean I’m not saying it wasn’t kinda funny in a weird way, but then again, there’s nothing new under the sun. 

Paula and her kids. Yeah. Maybe talk to them? Spend time around? And not just be... you know, wrapped up in yourself? And whatever is the deal with Scott?

I’m glad mrs hernandez made a comeback. Sunil though is completely pointless. 

The boy who plays Tucker is so similar to the girl who plays young Rebecca! I could totally believe they are brother and sister.

Well, Paula pretty much listed off all the people Rebecca has unfinished business with, so I assume we are still going to get closure on Rebecca's parents, Audra, Greg etc.

I hope Paula's relationship with her kids improves, this time for real.

Child star song was indeed funny, but I wished for another song. None of the songs this season seem like some of the best from CXG yet.

I now really want to see the movie Slumbered. :D Also, more rivalry between Sunil and Mrs. Hernandez, they are funny.

COLIN!

So I started rewatching this thing And I don’t hate it as much as for the first time. I don’t know how that happened, I’m not drunk or anything.  I’m slightly sick, so it’s probably just the virus working in me.  In any case, I still don’t get if it’s trying to be a comedy or some serious society criticism, and I can’t decide which is worse, but I guess I eased into the ridicule. If I can do that for PLL I can surely do that for this too.

But the point is, Darryl may be the most annoying, Nathaniel the most boring, Rebecca the most ridiculous, Valencia the most all-over-the-Place and Josh the most naive, Trent the most extreme, but the worst, the absolute worst, the most shitty person of all is Paula. I mean, my god, ugh, she is the wooooooooooooorst. 

On 11/6/2018 at 7:57 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I still don’t get if it’s trying to be a comedy or some serious society criticism, and I can’t decide which is worse, but I guess I eased into the ridicule. If I can do that for PLL I can surely do that for this too.

Why cannot it be both? It literally is both. :P

This last episode felt like it went back to the earlier quality! It focused mainly on Rebecca and not on some one-off side character we do not really care about that much, it was emotional, the country song was funny (I still want WhiJo and Darryl together though), and of course it had a song by Paula, which is always welcome. My only complaint would be that I would have liked to see more of Paula being happy bonding with her son before he has to leave - only last episode it really hit her how much she does not know about her children, and now suddenly they are so close? I think the bonding again would have taken more time.

Other than that, good episode.

Do not really care that much that Valencia is leaving, I do not mind her one way or the other. I am going to be sad if there is going to be less Heather though. And I am wondering if Rebecca will realise the house is too expensive for her to live there alone and she will end up having to move again.

Valencia and Heather will appear in the same number of episodes they do every season according to ABM and Rachel.

I also loved this episode, especially the Darryl/WhiJo song. Story-wise Paula's story was great. I felt it was a very organic episode in terms of character decisions. And Paula's really worked...and now I guess I see why after reading this

https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/09/crazy-ex-girlfriend-season-4-episode-5-aline-brosh-mckenna/amp/?__twitter_impression=true :)

This episode really hit home for me in many aspects and made me almost, just almost, but almost, cry. 

It brought back all the feels about leaving home when I was 18, having a roommate move out, seeing my friends move ahead with their lives while I felt like I was behind and being too insecure to leave my safe cocoon. It was nicely done. 

But apart from the emotional side of it, Rebecca was very annoying and the young people at the party acted like barbarians and we all know how sensitive I am about young people and parties and acting like barbarians... and I didn’t like the song. But paula’s Son was cool and Darryl was finally acting like a human being. white josh is still solidly one of the few both likable and realistic characters. I don’t understand the whole pretzel deal. But I guess one is not supposed to judge its authenticity from a business perspective. 

41 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Still laughing

*wheeze*

Anyway, happy with this episode, the season is starting to pick up again after a shaky start. 

*cries with laughter again*

You are so mean! Like you have never been trapped in a car with someone you don't want to be trapped in a car with! :P

These last two episodes were the best of the season.

Archived