Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S4 - We Want to Be Here [spoilers]

HexMachina

This episode was excellent and a true return to form for me. Both songs were top notch, lots of wink wink nod nod humour (the whole, “i’m here till the end of the series. Of holidays.” And “Yes Valentines Day seems like a fitting finale...of our series of holidays.” :rofl:) great character moments and I liked more Valencia story. Also that Heather still loves DRAAAAAAAAAAMMMMAAAAAA

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This episode was excellent and a true return to form for me. Both songs were top notch, lots of wink wink nod nod humour (the whole, “i’m here till the end of the series. Of holidays.” And “Yes Valentines Day seems like a fitting finale...of our series of holidays.” :rofl:) great character moments and I liked more Valencia story. Also that Heather still loves DRAAAAAAAAAAMMMMAAAAAA

In season one, Heather disliked drama. I think she said so on the party bus. Her liking DRAAAAAMAAAA only started in season three.

The jokes about the end of the series were indeed funny. 

6 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I miss the season one theme song too, other Rebecca.

I actually prefer season 2 and 3 theme songs.

• 1 month later...

Oh wow :rofl: I loved the Cats theme, and had several laugh out loud moments throughout the episode. I guess this is why Jason was included in the opening credits this season.

also enjoyed the throwbacks MESSAGEPOCALYPSE

So, um ... I probably should be more acquainted with the musical Cats to really appreciate what this episode was trying to do, right? I assume there were references I did not get.

White Josh was funny, Nathaniel and Greg befriending each other was an interesting development and I wonder if Greg's plan to reopen his father's restaurant will come to something. I now completely buy New Guy as Greg, so that is working.

What I disliked again was the complete lack of connection between the two storylines. Rebecca/Valencia/Jason/WhiJo/Exes/Cats and Darryl/Bert/Paula/office staff/Father Bro could easily be two completely separated shows at this point. At least they should have Rebecca and Paula talk to each other.

And again disappointed in the lack of Rebecca singing, or any of the main characters really. This season, there have been so many songs by one-off characters (Tucker, cats, Elaine Boosler, cemetery guard) or side characters (Jim, George), but we have only heard one solo by Rebecca. And that was Time to Seize the Day, which was ... not a cuttingly deep illustration of Rebecca's inner life and which I mostly remember by its obviously low production value. Compare that to season one, where she has a solo song in every episode up to 1.07. 1.08 is the first episode where she only sings as part of a group number (California Christmastime), and the first one where she does not sing at all is 1.15 (the one with the dream ghost journey on the plane) - no wait, she even sings about the whale being a metaphor while she practices on stage in the flashbacks, if you want to count that, so she literally sings in all of the episodes. Season 4 is a very different show compared to that.

Meh. :dunno:

23 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

“I think you know!”

*tail twirl*

Meowwww.

Interesting avatar choice there.

They decided to do more ensemble songs this season. I do also miss the solo numbers though, especially Rebecca 

didnt have a problem with the unconnected storylines though. Rebecca May be the lead but all of these characters have lives outside of her.

inwould like more Paula/Rebecca scenes though

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

They decided to do more ensemble songs this season. I do also miss the solo numbers though, especially Rebecca 

didnt have a problem with the unconnected storylines though. Rebecca May be the lead but all of these characters have lives outside of her.

inwould like more Paula/Rebecca scenes though

Sure they do have their own lives, but this is a TV show, the storylines should be connected in some way. I really like how it is done in the episode with three different car rides, where the characters who are going to go to different directions later interact with each other in the beginning at least, and there is a song to connect them, and common motives (three almost kisses in the end). Here, there just wasn't any connection at all, not even Paula talked to Rebecca. And how is it possible that Nathaniel did not try to stop the stupid argument between Darryl and Bert? He still works there too.

I very much expected a So Maternal reprise or at the very least a callback when Rebecca started to babysit Hebby. Pity that did not happen.

Also, you know what would be logical and would have made Paula's game night funnier? The presence of Tommy Proctor. :P He is really funny, I hope we get to see him in another episode before the end.

Rebecca, Greg ... why why why would you do that in Darryl's living room? I mean, I understand you want to do it, but did you not even think of the possibility of Darryl walking into his own home at any minute? :eek:

ETA: Sports Analogies.

He does need to feel different, the whole point of the recast was that Greg (and Rebecca) are different people now, they’ve changed. He shouldn’t feel the same as season 2 Greg.

However, that said, I agree he isn’t quite right, imo he is missing too much of his snarkiness. I also miss the self-depreciating humour but that is understandable as it’s not something he would have dealt with in AA, presumably.

Also he isn’t Santino :

Paula’s a smart cookie! 

On 1/20/2019 at 12:52 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

He does need to feel different, the whole point of the recast was that Greg (and Rebecca) are different people now, they’ve changed. He shouldn’t feel the same as season 2 Greg.

However, that said, I agree he isn’t quite right, imo he is missing too much of his snarkiness. I also miss the self-depreciating humour but that is understandable as it’s not something he would have dealt with in AA, presumably.

Also he isn’t Santino :

Paula’s a smart cookie! 

So recast Rachel Bloom. If this is a deliberate move to make a point, have balls and recast Rachel Bloom too. 

Anyway, I disagree with it. Just because somebody changes and resolves issues they don’t become a different person. Their past issues, past vibes and personalities are still part of them, these things don’t disappear without trace and 30 year old people don’t get completely new personalities after spending two years in a new town and conquering alcoholism. 

If it was a must-move because santino Fontana couldn’t be bought to return to the show, I can understand, but I still think the casting choice was a bad and I still think they should have reconsidered Rebecca’s endgame without Santino Fontana, if it was going to revolve around Greg. :dunno: 

I don't really see the old Greg in the new guy (I don't trust him!), but it does not bother me all that much ... anymore, I guess. I think I got over the shock over the recasting.

I still think it would have been much better if Santino Fontana had agreed to come back, and if that was not possible, then maybe just not to bring the character up again. I don't know, I know now that he is here and is staying till the end of the series ... of holidays.

Of course they are not going to recast anybody else, especially not Rachel Bloom, but I am wondering how Debora, the other Rebecca from the opening sequence, plays into that. Maybe she is supposed to be how other characters see Rebecca or have seen her previously? I hope the opening plays into the plot, as it has in every season until now.

Rachel posted some silly video on twitter from set. Rachel Grate was there! That means we are getting another appearance of Audra, yes? Hopefully! Audra is very funny. :commie:

Yep. I thought I didn't like the song at first but it's very earwormy and I can't stop hearing it now!

One thing I will say, seems like there is a lot to pack in before the series finale.

Also I'm researching the previous seasons and remembering how brilliant it is

I loved the song from the beginning. I only wish there were another song. When the pizza delivery guy came in the end, I expected at least a callback to Tell Me I'm Okay, Patrick.

Aaaaand I learned how to pronounce "gratuitious", I suppose. I could not make out what they were saying during the episode and had to look it up. I always thought it was pronounced differently.

Surprised by the choice of typical romcoms they had Nathaniel watch. If somebody mentions a typical romcom, the first things I would think of would be more along the line of Notting Hill, Love Actually, Bridget Jones, Four Weddings and a Funeral ... Now I need to really watch Devil Wears Prada, apparently some of the scenes were a parody of that one.

Archived