Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S4 - We Want to Be Here [spoilers]

HexMachina

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I loved the song from the beginning. I only wish there were another song. When the pizza delivery guy came in the end, I expected at least a callback to Tell Me I'm Okay, Patrick.

Aaaaand I learned how to pronounce "gratuitious", I suppose. I could not make out what they were saying during the episode and had to look it up. I always thought it was pronounced differently.

Surprised by the choice of typical romcoms they had Nathaniel watch. If somebody mentions a typical romcom, the first things I would think of would be more along the line of Notting Hill, Love Actually, Bridget Jones, Four Weddings and a Funeral ... Now I need to really watch Devil Wears Prada, apparently some of the scenes were a parody of that one.

I also hoped for another song. Also kind of funny, I watched the music video for this before the episode and was getting all outraged because MAYA LOVES KARAOKE as has been well established...and then we got this :D

Devil Wears Prada is great fun :) Meryl Street, Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt...and of course a certain ABK behind the scenes on the writing desk ;) (I assume you knew that) 

I really enjoyed the end scene with Rebecca too btw where it's made clear that Nathaniel just did an episode of how she has been experiencing life. Somehow I remained totally oblivious to that.

Another point, and it goes back to something you mentioned before about the story of some characters not matching Rebecca's. It seems like, especially in the latter part of this season, the narrative has been shifting away from Rebecca's POV. Maybe that is just my impression but it feels like we are seeing less of the story from her perspective and more from a bird's eye or multi-character POV. :dunno:

My god. I hate Maya.  Ugh, she gets on my nerves sooooo badly. I mean she is basically the worst part ofTwitter manifested into one person. It’s not aprop for a man to compliment a woman about her dress but it’s aprop for a woman to stalk another person in the lobby. Preach it sista. 

As for this romcom parody. I mean I guess it was funny? In an awkward ‘I can’t decide if it’s irony or self-irony or both orsociety criticism or fun or both’ way? 

On 1/27/2019 at 4:17 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Devil Wears Prada is great fun :) Meryl Street, Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt...and of course a certain ABK behind the scenes on the writing desk ;) (I assume you knew that)

I have now watched Devil Wears Prada ... and found it decidedly not fun. Is that movie supposed to be ... funny? :idea: Which part? All I saw was a depiction of a terrible workplace environment. I just kept waiting for somebody to seriously tell the Meryl Streep character off.

I don't even think it can ba classified as a romcom, since it was neither romantic nor funny ... so as funny and on point as the references in CXG were, I don't think they really applied in a romcom setting Nathaniel was trying to build in his mind.

Well, the good part is, the Anne Hathaway's boyfriend character was really cute. ;)

I knew that ABK wrote it, that is why I decided to watch it because I read in a review that CXG referenced it. I will say I think CXG is the better of her work!

On 1/27/2019 at 4:17 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I really enjoyed the end scene with Rebecca too btw where it's made clear that Nathaniel just did an episode of how she has been experiencing life. Somehow I remained totally oblivious to that.

You mean, how he imagined himself in a recognisable popculture genre? This was very Rebecca-typical indeed.

Another point, and it goes back to something you mentioned before about the story of some characters not matching Rebecca's. It seems like, especially in the latter part of this season, the narrative has been shifting away from Rebecca's POV. Maybe that is just my impression but it feels like we are seeing less of the story from her perspective and more from a bird's eye or multi-character POV. :dunno:

Well, this episode was almost whole from Nathaniel's eyes, that is to say, mostly it was his imagination. I would have been disappointed in an episode that featured so little Rebecca otherwise, but this was so good and so funny that I just don't care at all.

We are definitely hearing less singing by Rebecca, which I find disappointing in this season as a whole.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:43 PM, RhaenysBee said:

My god. I hate Maya.  Ugh, she gets on my nerves sooooo badly. I mean she is basically the worst part ofTwitter manifested into one person. It’s not aprop for a man to compliment a woman about her dress but it’s aprop for a woman to stalk another person in the lobby. Preach it sista. 

As for this romcom parody. I mean I guess it was funny? In an awkward ‘I can’t decide if it’s irony or self-irony or both orsociety criticism or fun or both’ way?

What are you saying, Maya is great. :P

It is all of that! As Jake Peralta would say, things can be two things!

Aaaaaaand now the side column of this site is full of Amazon ads for romantic comedies.

Yeah, I understand that the show probably wants to be all those things. This mix is just not my cup of tea. That’s been my problem with the good place recently too. 

Well, I can’t wait to see how cxg ends, I really hope Rebecca and Greg don’t stay together. 

10 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I have now watched Devil Wears Prada ... and found it decidedly not fun. Is that movie supposed to be ... funny? :idea: Which part? All I saw was a depiction of a terrible workplace environment. I just kept waiting for somebody to seriously tell the Meryl Streep character off.

I don't even think it can ba classified as a romcom, since it was neither romantic nor funny ... so as funny and on point as the references in CXG were, I don't think they really applied in a romcom setting Nathaniel was trying to build in his mind.

Well, the good part is, the Anne Hathaway's boyfriend character was really cute. ;)

I knew that ABK wrote it, that is why I decided to watch it because I read in a review that CXG referenced it. I will say I think CXG is the better of her work!

You mean, how he imagined himself in a recognisable popculture genre? This was very Rebecca-typical indeed.

Well, this episode was almost whole from Nathaniel's eyes, that is to say, mostly it was his imagination. I would have been disappointed in an episode that featured so little Rebecca otherwise, but this was so good and so funny that I just don't care at all.

We are definitely hearing less singing by Rebecca, which I find disappointing in this season as a whole.

What are you saying, Maya is great. :P

It is all of that! As Jake Peralta would say, things can be two things!

Aaaaaaand now the side column of this site is full of Amazon ads for romantic comedies.

Actually the whole episode echoes 3x04 which takes the horror genre and parodies it through the whole episode, while this does the same for RomComs :)

What kind of alternate reality do these people live in?

I still feel like we are circling around with Rebecca. I understand there’s a point to be made about relapses but we have established about 100 times already that Rebecca needs therapy and it’s a bad idea to stop. As we have established it 1000 times that she reaches for sex when she feels out of control. 

Is there a point they are trying to make about doctors? Or is it trying to be some kinda comedy relief that both doctors are completely unprofessional and idiotic? 

As for the raging water parks, the show makes it look like Rebecca was an ass and she is taking responsibility for being an ass. Is it me or Greg was the ass? It is absolutely reasonable for Rebecca to expect him to go to raging waters with her because that’s an important and meaningful to and at least make an effort to enjoy it. And then he is telling her, okay hey you are emotional, go to therapy I can’t deal with you? What kind of f’ed up shit is that? I mean why not make an effort to get through to her and if that doesn’t work, why not tell her to go back to therapy in a supportive, empathetic way? I mean I’m there for you babe - just as long as you are pleasant and easy to deal with, otherwise I’m pushing the emergency exit button and I’ll see you when you are pleasant and easy to deal with again? How is Rebecca apologizing for this? Sure, she completely lost it and got over the top as she does every single time she is in a relationship, but that doesn’t make her an ass, it just circles back to the Rebecca has issues to deal with plot point.  

As for Paula, the outside example that showed Rebecca that it’s important to do what the doctors say and take care of herself even if it’s not fun to do so, I get that. Personally I don’t like that it was a heart attack. I would have preferred if she just had the flu because it would have made a point about taking care of yourself - even if you are not on the verge of dropping dead, or going through something inevitable such as menopause. It could have showed that being a “hot mess” is not hot no matter what 21st century globalized society is telling you and you are actually replaceable and responsibilities are actually postponeable and at the end of the day your health is the most important thing and you need to take time to rest (instead of waiting till the absolute last moment before you drop dead - as we saw here). And that it’s not cool if you haven’t had a nap since 1983 but it’s certainly your own damn fault, not the world’s. 

I had a lot of opinions about this, sorry. I’m sure most of this is just me. Maybe someone who could relate more to the characters or different parts of the story finds it fun and/or on point. For me this episode just didn’t work. Still curious to see how they wrap this up though (so this thread isn’t getting rid of me just yet :lol: ) 

I dropped out of the show earlier in the season, noticing that much of the issues I had with the previous season had not been fixed at all. 

I was wondering whether it was worth going back, but the above post seems to clarify for me that the show lost its way a while back and hasn't recovered.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:39 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Once again, the show hits too close to home with The Darkness song. My darkness I call Ana, for obvious reasons. And damnit the lyrics to that song are just far too on point and accurate :( :crying:

Tyler. That's a perfect name for a fake boyfriend. (Speaking of fake boyfriends, where is Trent?)

Errrr, I might be dense. What is the obvious reason to call your darkness Ana?

On 2/3/2019 at 6:28 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I still feel like we are circling around with Rebecca. I understand there’s a point to be made about relapses but we have established about 100 times already that Rebecca needs therapy and it’s a bad idea to stop. As we have established it 1000 times that she reaches for sex when she feels out of control. 

Is there a point they are trying to make about doctors? Or is it trying to be some kinda comedy relief that both doctors are completely unprofessional and idiotic?

The doctor was weird, agree.

As for the raging water parks, the show makes it look like Rebecca was an ass and she is taking responsibility for being an ass. Is it me or Greg was the ass? It is absolutely reasonable for Rebecca to expect him to go to raging waters with her because that’s an important and meaningful to and at least make an effort to enjoy it. And then he is telling her, okay hey you are emotional, go to therapy I can’t deal with you? What kind of f’ed up shit is that? I mean why not make an effort to get through to her and if that doesn’t work, why not tell her to go back to therapy in a supportive, empathetic way? I mean I’m there for you babe - just as long as you are pleasant and easy to deal with, otherwise I’m pushing the emergency exit button and I’ll see you when you are pleasant and easy to deal with again? How is Rebecca apologizing for this? Sure, she completely lost it and got over the top as she does every single time she is in a relationship, but that doesn’t make her an ass, it just circles back to the Rebecca has issues to deal with plot point.

They both were asses, honestly. Rebecca was pushing him to do something he clearly didn't want, to go to the park and to take rides there. Although, if you go to an amusement park, I don't see the point to not take the rides. Still, she pushed him way too hard. But he was being an ass when he left her. I think he was trying to bring up the problems in a careful way, but then he realised she could not take advice from him in that moment because she was angry with him, and he just left ... that was him being an ass.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:06 PM, Heartofice said:

I dropped out of the show earlier in the season, noticing that much of the issues I had with the previous season had not been fixed at all. 

I was wondering whether it was worth going back, but the above post seems to clarify for me that the show lost its way a while back and hasn't recovered.

Oh, that is just Rhae being negative about this show, it is usual. ;) Thr last couple of episodes were better than the first part of the season,

I liked all the songs in this one. The hating everything one was really funny with Greg not knowing what to do with the guitar. Also, I think the girl at the taco truck was the writer of the episode!

Still wondering what role Debora will play in the show! Some connection to the theme song must appear soon!

Also, Greg and Rebecca said they spent the whole two weeks together. I assume at Rebecca's house (where is Greg staying otherwise anyway? His father sold their house and moved somewhere else in season 2 too). Sooo ... what does Josh think about the whole thing? Greg and Josh used to be really good friends, then Greg left and they cut contact, they each know of either's past bagagge with Rebecca ... I cannot imagine any of them being comfortable in the situation where Greg is having sex with Rebecca and Josh is sleeping in the next room. We have not seen them talk to each other, in fact Greg left the high school reunion as soon as he saw Josh being typically Joshy. I wonder what they think of each other now.

I miss Heather.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Tyler. That's a perfect name for a fake boyfriend. (Speaking of fake boyfriends, where is Trent?)

Errrr, I might be dense. What is the obvious reason to call your darkness Ana?

The doctor was weird, agree.

They both were asses, honestly. Rebecca was pushing him to do something he clearly didn't want, to go to the park and to take rides there. Although, if you go to an amusement park, I don't see the point to not take the rides. Still, she pushed him way too hard. But he was being an ass when he left her. I think he was trying to bring up the problems in a careful way, but then he realised she could not take advice from him in that moment because she was angry with him, and he just left ... that was him being an ass.

Oh, that is just Rhae being negative about this show, it is usual. ;) Thr last couple of episodes were better than the first part of the season,

I liked all the songs in this one. The hating everything one was really funny with Greg not knowing what to do with the guitar. Also, I think the girl at the taco truck was the writer of the episode!

Still wondering what role Debora will play in the show! Some connection to the theme song must appear soon!

Also, Greg and Rebecca said they spent the whole two weeks together. I assume at Rebecca's house (where is Greg staying otherwise anyway? His father sold their house and moved somewhere else in season 2 too). Sooo ... what does Josh think about the whole thing? Greg and Josh used to be really good friends, then Greg left and they cut contact, they each know of either's past bagagge with Rebecca ... I cannot imagine any of them being comfortable in the situation where Greg is having sex with Rebecca and Josh is sleeping in the next room. We have not seen them talk to each other, in fact Greg left the high school reunion as soon as he saw Josh being typically Joshy. I wonder what they think of each other now.

I miss Heather.

Thats a very good question about Trent. And heather. Also where is Naomi? Or Paula’s children? Or Darryl? Or Valencia? Or white josh? Or anybody who isn’t Nathaniel or FakeGreg? 

I get that Rebecca is pushy and selfish and that this is something she should control. But Raging Waters is important and meaningful to her, as it was established in the catch-up snapshots at the beginning of the episode. It’s not like she was pushing Greg to go get froyo. Of course she should be able to express this in a mature and assertive way. However, Greg is a grown ass man who was recently renewed to become a completely different person through his own therapy process. So he also should be able to say to no things he doesn’t want, instead of agreeing and then being resentful and ruining this important experience for the other person. Rebecca was immature and selfish but I still think Greg was the bigger ass. :dunno: 

I wonder why they are pushing this Greg storyline so hard. In my mind, the most educational and positive and progressive message would be something like Rebecca’s being single for longer than a minute and going back to school to become a musical singer or founding a West Covina Musical Association or something along the lines. I don’t see how woman with mental health issues and man with mental health issues end up together is a message and CXG kinda prides itself in conveying messages. Well I’m still hopeful for an original and fun ending. How many episodes are left? Two? 

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Thats a very good question about Trent. And heather. Also where is Naomi? Or Paula’s children? Or Darryl? Or Valencia? Or white josh? Or anybody who isn’t Nathaniel or FakeGreg? 

Trent is maybe still in the hospital from that time he fell off the roof. Or maybe plotting the next shenanigan to get Rebecca to be his girlfriend.

Heather is happily living with Hector and managing Home Base.

Naomi is in Scarsdale.

One of Paula's sons went off to volunteer ... somewhere. The other one is presumably still at home. I hope we get to see that one again, he is funny especially talking to Rebecca. The conversations between the two in the babysitting/soup fairy episode are great.

Darryl is obsessing over Hebby and trying to forget that he also has Madison.

Don't care about Valencia honestly. I am sure White Josh will come up again, he was never in every episode. He is probably dating that guy from the gym and avoiding his crazy old friend group.

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I wonder why they are pushing this Greg storyline so hard. In my mind, the most educational and positive and progressive message would be something like Rebecca’s being single for longer than a minute and going back to school to become a musical singer or founding a West Covina Musical Association or something along the lines. I don’t see how woman with mental health issues and man with mental health issues end up together is a message and CXG kinda prides itself in conveying messages. Well I’m still hopeful for an original and fun ending. How many episodes are left? Two? 

Oh, there are still enough episodes for this relationship to fall apart again. I am pretty sure she is not going to end up in a relationship with either Greg (slept with his father :ack:  , he lives wherever Emory is now, their relationship was a shitshow), Nathaniel (he tried to seduce her while she was engaged, then she seduced him when she was trying to be bad/was spiralling, they had an affair, too many ons and offs to make a stable relationship), or Josh (victim of her stalking, spying, sabotaging etc.). I expect her to end up single too, or maybe the last episode will hint to some completely new character.

I hope theater comes into play too, or at least any change of career. I don't think she should be running a small unprofitable business because she is terrible with money and she also seems to spend very little time at her workplace (again).

Link to spoiler photos from next episode.

Spoiler

TAPDANCE SHOES! :wub::commie::commie::commie: Looking forward to that!

It looks like Rebecca gets tapdance shoes from her doctor or hospital - it says "Mount Christine Outpatient Centre Pharmacy" on the box, which is where Dr. Shin works. Dance as part of her therapy? I am sure it is all symbolic and part of a musical number, and tapdance shoes are not sold in oversized pill containers, but anyway ... there is going to be a tapdancing number and I am so excited to see it!

BTW, do you guys know what concrete/asphalt does to tapdance shoes? All of these pairs must have been ruined after filming this number. They look so shiny and new in the photos.

Also, I do not think I have ever seen Dr. Akopian outside. It is even odd seeing her standing up and not in her chair. I wonder who the two random people beside Rebecca are.

22 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Link to spoiler photos from next episode.

Hide contents

TAPDANCE SHOES! :wub::commie::commie::commie: Looking forward to that!

It looks like Rebecca gets tapdance shoes from her doctor or hospital - it says "Mount Christine Outpatient Centre Pharmacy" on the box, which is where Dr. Shin works. Dance as part of her therapy? I am sure it is all symbolic and part of a musical number, and tapdance shoes are not sold in oversized pill containers, but anyway ... there is going to be a tapdancing number and I am so excited to see it!

BTW, do you guys know what concrete/asphalt does to tapdance shoes? All of these pairs must have been ruined after filming this number. They look so shiny and new in the photos.

Also, I do not think I have ever seen Dr. Akopian outside. It is even odd seeing her standing up and not in her chair. I wonder who the two random people beside Rebecca are.

Spoiler

I’m surprised you didn’t bring up Debra since you’ve mentioned the tie in to the theme song almost every week :P and this is almost certainly that.

I hope Akopes (“I do not want to be called Akopes.”) gets another song. Loved Dreamghost and this session is going to be different.

Those two are likely extras for the musical number, they do that all of the time. Like the two grocery clerks (with full eyelids!) in first penis I saw

In answer to your previous question, Ana is (or was in my experience anyway) quite a common way for a patient referring to their anorexia (Ana, Anorexia, hear the connection?). Similar applies to Mia (bulimia). We even used it in group therapy actually. 

So Jack Dolgen apparently directed last episode. He also directed Rebecca’s suicide attempt, and has been very open about his own mental health struggles. I think his insight and sensitivity on these issues really comes across in how he handles these tough episodes. Bravo.

I’ve rewatched season 1-3 now. Still love this show but I think S4 has not quite lived up to the high standards of previous seasons. But I’m going to rewatch it and see if that’s opinion holds up.

And I definitely miss more solo pieces from the leads. The ensembles are nice but Rachel and Donna Lynne are the show’s real powerhouses as far as singing goes.

That said, I still can’t get over the masterpiece of Trapped in a Car :rofl:

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:
  Hide contents

I’m surprised you didn’t bring up Debra since you’ve mentioned the tie in to the theme song almost every week :P and this is almost certainly that.

I hope Akopes (“I do not want to be called Akopes.”) gets another song. Loved Dreamghost and this session is going to be different.

Those two are likely extras for the musical number, they do that all of the time. Like the two grocery clerks (with full eyelids!) in first penis I saw

In answer to your previous question, Ana is (or was in my experience anyway) quite a common way for a patient referring to their anorexia (Ana, Anorexia, hear the connection?). Similar applies to Mia (bulimia). We even used it in group therapy actually. 

So Jack Dolgen apparently directed last episode. He also directed Rebecca’s suicide attempt, and has been very open about his own mental health struggles. I think his insight and sensitivity on these issues really comes across in how he handles these tough episodes. Bravo.

I’ve rewatched season 1-3 now. Still love this show but I think S4 has not quite lived up to the high standards of previous seasons. But I’m going to rewatch it and see if that’s opinion holds up.

And I definitely miss more solo pieces from the leads. The ensembles are nice but Rachel and Donna Lynne are the show’s real powerhouses as far as singing goes.

That said, I still can’t get over the masterpiece of Trapped in a Car :rofl:

Spoiler

Wait, you think the tapdancing musical number will explain Debra? Maybe? I am not sure where you get that from, but if so, great.

Maybe Akopes will start to sing and then everybody comes up and dances. She does not look like she is dancing in the group number, but I assume she will sing.

One of the extras seems to be wearing a Rebetzel's* employee apron, right?

*Rebetzel's? Rebetzels? Rebetzels'? Every time I see a flyer, the apostrophe is in another place. :PSpider's is still one of my favourite jokes.

I hear the connection, but I did not know that. Thank you for the clarification.

I think the last few episodes are getting up there again. The second half of season 3 and the first half of season 4 were the weakest in my opinion. It even looks like they did not know what to do with so many episodes and they made one-episode plots and got guest stars that did not really make sense for the broader story - looking at you, episodes with Tucker, Elaine Boosler, the cemetery guard Patton Oswald, and the cats. The cat episode made sense for Rebecca, but IMO they hyped up the guest stars waaay too much. Maybe I just don't feel the excitement about those actors because I don't know them from eslewhere. :dunno: I would much rahter see more plots that involved Heather, Trent, Rebecca/Paula friendship, Paula's relationship with her family etc. And the Darryl/Bert argument plot was saved only by the NPH at the Tonys joke, otherwise it was completely nonsensical.

And yes, I think I brought this up before too. The group songs just don't cut as deeply into Rebecca's, Paula's, Greg's and whoever else's inner life as the grand solos. They can have interesting choreographies though, of course. I also think they gave way too many songs to guest stars (again, Tucker, Elaine Boosler, the cats).

The best songs from this season ... Trapped in a Car, for sure. But also I've Always Never Believed in You (Paula!), I'm Not Sad, The Group Mind Has Decided You're In Love, Noone Else Is Singing My Song, Don't Be a Lawyer. Maybe even Hello, Nice to Meet You and I Hate Everything But You.

Child Star is funny and catchy and has cool choreography on its own, but it seems more like a standalone song that Rachel would post on Youtube than something that makes sense in Rebecca's story. It has nothing to do with her.

I thought Rebecca’s dress looked like Deborah’s but on second look I’m not so sure.

are the tap shoes just the white tennis shoe looking things she is wearing? If not I think I’m missing a photo somewhere

7 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I thought Rebecca’s dress looked like Deborah’s but on second look I’m not so sure.

are the tap shoes just the white tennis shoe looking things she is wearing? If not I think I’m missing a photo somewhere

Oh, I did not notice that. It is a similar colour, but not a similar cut.

Are you only looking at "Picture 1 of 13"? Click on "next" under the picture. There are plenty of them. I cannot figure out a way to see them all on one page.

Archived