Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S4 - We Want to Be Here [spoilers]

HexMachina

Easily my favourite episode of the season. Things are coming together nicely for the finale. The music was fab this week, and the tap dancing number more than delivered! Can we appreciate so,e of the subtle jokes too. Like referencing a grocery clerk who then winks, because, y’know, grocery clerk with half and eye lid. She’s also the same clerk from S1 and 3 that Valencia does the party for.

and other cameos, Jayma And her husband and baby, who Josh later brings up because he bought her flowers. And the moving guys who move Rebecca’s stuff.

Also :laugh: because Daryl in the Medium Place make it happen!

More nerdiness from Nathaniel. Love it

Last day of filming :( and we have a month to wait before the final five episodes. But I thought Greg was only back through the holidays?!

Yup, more plot! Very positive episode too. :) Despite ... all the corpses and contagious squirrel viruses.

I totally didn't recognise Josh's sister and brother in law, thanks for pointing that out! I did recognise Ally the grocery store girl and I remembered Jayma when Josh said his sister just had a baby - nice follow up on his family.

I thought that was Mindy St. Claire from the Medium Place! :D  Also when Nathaniel said he read all those books on ethical philosophy, I thought he had some lessons with Chidi. :P

Yay for Paula! Slightly disappointed that we did not actually see her taking the exam. Now I hope they make a big scene with a "Maybe This Dream" reprise when she founds out that she passed it with flying colours where her dreams actually come true. Or maybe a scene where Paula tap-dances, because this series is still missing that.

And really excited for Rebecca's audition and how the theatre dream turns out.

My only problem with the episode was, again, Darryl's plot being completely disconnected from the others. Could they not at least make a short scene where Darryl actually talks to Paula, which is why he came to the hospital? Or meet Rebecca/Heather/Valencia in the waiting room and ask about how Paula is doing? Again, there was no character or interaction to tie Darryl's plotline with the others.

On the other hand, I am really happy to see Madison, she is always adorable.

Wait ... five weeks till the next episode, you say? What nonsense is this? Greg is only back until Valentine's day, which is what CXG considers the series (of holidays).

ETA: Love how Heather always has knowledge of random things ... like how the hospital is structured and all about health insurance this time. Because of her husband.

Oh. My. God. What. Even. Was. This? 

Spoiler

What kind of F’ed up message is this? Leave the hospital after a heart attack without a doctor signing you off because... you can’t retake exams? Risk your insurance because... you can’t retake exams? You almost died so... you have to dive back into life at double speed because that wasn’t what almost killed you in the first place? Dream or not, Paula’s level of workaholism needs all the therapy and meds Rebecca is getting. 

And really, everybody is on anti-depressants and that’s totally fine? Because it’s better than crusades and witch hunts? My god. 

Squirrel flu? Actual. Squirrel. Flu? Not a broken sliding door? Not the electricity going out? Not a legit sickness? Squirrel goddamn flu?! At least make them cough or follow up on this whole terrible excuse to lock characters in one room. Like have a doctor say Okay gentlemen, you are all fine! And how did Madison and her frenemy know the squirrel kid would be running out of the door at that very moment? Or how did they arrange it? If this is a real illness, they just decided to expose their parents to it like that? What in the world was this whole squirrel flu? 

And HOW in the world did nobody notice that Paula was gone for over 6 hours?  

But sure, i’m glad that Rebecca dumped Greg and auditions for a musical. That’s exactly what I wanted last week and I suppose I got that, so I might as well shut up and try to ignore the other 95% of the episode. 

You missed the point of the song. It's about removing the stigma of taking anti-depressants, and the show has already addressed pretty well over its entire run time that drugs alone aren't the answer, they are just there to help Rebecca manage her symptoms while she deals with her underlying issues. 

I agree with Rhae about Paula. Her actions this episode did really not convey the message that she learned to prioritise her health. I think it is odd that nobody came there are signed her off, even if Dr. Roth was unavailable that morning. And of course that nobody checked in on her when she was absent from the hospital.

Is it possible that it comes up at some point in her legal career that she was supposedly in the hospital while she was taking the exam? I know that the show won't continue to show that, but it could be a problem.

Also, I wonder if that scene in the fighting song was supposed to be referencing Star Wars. Why not use lightsabers? They even mentioned futuristic weapons! :P

On 2/10/2019 at 8:37 PM, Buckwheat said:

I agree with Rhae about Paula. Her actions this episode did really not convey the message that she learned to prioritise her health. I think it is odd that nobody came there are signed her off, even if Dr. Roth was unavailable that morning. And of course that nobody checked in on her when she was absent from the hospital.

Is it possible that it comes up at some point in her legal career that she was supposedly in the hospital while she was taking the exam? I know that the show won't continue to show that, but it could be a problem.

Also, I wonder if that scene in the fighting song was supposed to be referencing Star Wars. Why not use lightsabers? They even mentioned futuristic weapons! :P

Our lawyers won't let us use brand names :P

in case anyone missed this btw, they are doing a musical special after the finale (sounds like the live shows they toured). Hope that comes to Netflix too!

https://m.eonline.com/amp/news/1010711/this-is-how-crazy-ex-girlfriend-is-ending?__twitter_impression=true

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2019 at 9:41 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Our lawyers won't let us use brand names :P

I thought that was the problem!

in case anyone missed this btw, they are doing a musical special after the finale (sounds like the live shows they toured). Hope that comes to Netflix too!

https://m.eonline.com/amp/news/1010711/this-is-how-crazy-ex-girlfriend-is-ending?__twitter_impression=true

I am kind of sad there won't be one episode more, but that is all the better for the people in such odd places of the world that they can actually see any of the live shows. :)

Anyway, the show is coming back this week! EDIT: A clip: https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/14/cheri-oteri-crazy-ex-girlfriend-clip/
And here are some people we know tap-dancing like pros.

Okay, so:

- Josh talking to Estrella was the funniest. :D And the theatre's directors shawl. And the trumpet guy.

- Valencia should just propose to Beth herself.

- They spent half the season on unimportant side plots, only for what may be the most important one - the development of Rebecca's relationship with theatre, which they finally got to - mostly happen in a time-jump moment, Tickety Tock Goes The Clock? This is ... an odd decision.

- Okay, all the unresolved romantic tension between Rebecca and all the three men should just stop already. Josh was the victim of her stalking, lying, manipulation etc. Greg spent two years away from her and is completely different than he was in season 1. Nathaniel had a whole episode devoted to realising he can get over her and it ended with him telling her that he is truly over this time. None of them will ever have a long-term, commited relationship with Rebecca. Why do they keep bringing it up three episodes before the finale?

- Wow, these lyrics were ... seriously problematic. :D I hope we hear Rebecca's revised version of her song in the next few episodes.

- Paula's storyline was great too. She is worth a lot!

- Also, Chris drives?! It is really nice that they didn't forget about that character.

@HelenaExMachina, @RhaenysBee, any thoughts?

Gaaaaaaah no no no no no, whyyyyyyyyyyy :bang:

*two hours and a couple router resets later* 

Well, I finally watched it (with a two-hour intermission because my WiFi was down). 

What can I say? It is so all over the place. 

It makes no sense at all that, after everything, Josh, NewGreg AND Nathaniel are all still in love with Rebecca who is also still in love (kinda) with all three of them. So cheesy. So unrealistic. So boring. These storylines have been used, reused, recycled, now just get rid of them. I assume this is a third class tool to assemble characters in the same scenes, like that ridiculous squirrel flu plot. 

But of course this has hardly my biggest issue with the episode. 

So after a completely nonsensical (and terribly costly, were this real life) endeavor into pretzel business, Rebecca finally turns her eyes to theatre. Her dream, her love, her passion, a symbol that ties the entire show together, the reason for our love(-hate) relationship with it, the first scene of the first episode, the holy grail of Rebecca’s self-fulfillment, the cure for her toxic obsession Josh/Nathaniel/Greg/TacoGuy. And when she’s finally there, she spends a full 5 minutes enjoying it before she deconstructs it. And yes, I get that’s still half the point of CXG, and yes I get that the lyrics were made for deconstruction, and yes I get the irony. But I just can’t get this strategy past the narrow little hallways of my mind.

You build something up for four seasons to tear it down in 5 minutes. For what purpose? Twist? Social message? Comedy? All three? I don’t see it, it just doesn’t work for me. But fine. Let’s accept that as a narrative. Let’s look at it from a human perspective. Lady dreams of something for 16 years. She throws her life out of the window twice over and starts living the dream and 5 minutes in she decides that her dream is crushed and it was actually the cause of her nightmares? How can any human being second guess themselves so fast and so hard? How can any human being give anything up so fast? Where is the cognitive dissonance? But fine, let’s accept that too. Did she really get out of theater because she didn’t agree with the lyrics of the songs? Does she know that this musical seemed to be set in the 1800s and gender roles were different then? Did she never encounter the same issue with historically set musicals while she was at school doing musical courses or in theaters watching musicals or on the internet obsessing over them? Did she just figure this out? Seriously? And is the fact the she doesn’t find the lyrics a positive message enough reason to ruin a show for the entire cast and her director who worked hard on producing it? Didn’t she work hard on overcoming rash selfishness? Does this still work like, oh I don’t like this, I want to change it, and if I can’t I still will and I don’t care about anything or anyone else? 

I could go on with a few more dimensions about how bad this storyline was, but I won’t, because it still wasn’t as bad as... 

... PAULA. Whaaaaaat just happened? 40 something Paula got a degree in law at a noname college while she worked full time and ran a household (aka maybe ran into Scott or her teenage son at home once a week in the morning) and actually got a heart attack before her exams. And I am supposed to believe that she graduated top of her class and won awards under those circumstances? And I am supposed to believe that because she has a noname law degree at the age of 40something and has experience as a paralegal employers are now competing for her to grace them with an interview so they can join the bidding war for her junior level expertise? That’s not how the labor market and hiring processes work, ladies and gentlemen. 

On the bright side, Valencia’s storyline was very Valencia (though it still has the full potential of getting completely screwed up) and Josh’s conversation with Estrella was very funny. 

I’d like to hear about Hector, Sunil, Naomi, White Josh, Darryl’s daughter’s relationship or lack there of with Heather  (since this was a whole deal with rebecca and Heather was as much Hebby’s “mother“ as her). 

Huh. I kinda feel like this last season is reduced to Insatiable-level comedy. Even the last trace of realism and common sense disappeared from the characters and the plot. 

It feels like they are down on all four grasping at loose ends and anything that might resemble comedy relief and going in circles over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. 

And Paula... tell me there’s a corner of the world where employment works like this and I’ll move there tomorrow. 

On 3/23/2019 at 2:40 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Huh. I kinda feel like this last season is reduced to Insatiable-level comedy. Even the last trace of realism and common sense disappeared from the characters and the plot. 

It feels like they are down on all four grasping at loose ends and anything that might resemble comedy relief and going in circles over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. 

And Paula... tell me there’s a corner of the world where employment works like this and I’ll move there tomorrow. 

But Audra was still great! I wonder how there was an episode with her husband and Rebecca didn't mention his lack of prowess in bed. What a weird episode!

Don't know what Insatiable is. But this series never was realistic.

I want to know that too! Paula is veeeeery lucky. Although ... her fancy new job could still turn out to be terrible. It was only her first week and we didn't see her have any work assigned, she just got money to start with ... for some reason. Why did Paula think what she wears would be more important than what she actually does?

20 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

So... many... call backs!

So many! Women gotta stick together, and that's called sisterhood (except Denise Martinez - I remembered Denise as soon as these girls at the reception mentioned Martinez). Love triangles, well, squares. JAP battle. You cannot call me crazy, cause when you call me crazy, you're just calling me in love. BLAM. I talk to butter.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:08 PM, RhaenysBee said:

It makes no sense at all that, after everything, Josh, NewGreg AND Nathaniel are all still in love with Rebecca who is also still in love (kinda) with all three of them. So cheesy. So unrealistic. So boring. These storylines have been used, reused, recycled, now just get rid of them. I assume this is a third class tool to assemble characters in the same scenes, like that ridiculous squirrel flu plot.

Yes. Just ... I just don't get what the point of these love problems is anymoe. But it was interesting that this whole episodes was women talking about all sorts of stuff, and then there were men who basically only talked about their love life and one particular woman. Is there such a thing as a ledhceB test? :P

So after a completely nonsensical (and terribly costly, were this real life) endeavor into pretzel business, Rebecca finally turns her eyes to theatre. Her dream, her love, her passion, a symbol that ties the entire show together, the reason for our love(-hate) relationship with it, the first scene of the first episode, the holy grail of Rebecca’s self-fulfillment, the cure for her toxic obsession Josh/Nathaniel/Greg/TacoGuy. And when she’s finally there, she spends a full 5 minutes enjoying it before she deconstructs it. And yes, I get that’s still half the point of CXG, and yes I get that the lyrics were made for deconstruction, and yes I get the irony. But I just can’t get this strategy past the narrow little hallways of my mind.

You build something up for four seasons to tear it down in 5 minutes. For what purpose? Twist? Social message? Comedy? All three? I don’t see it, it just doesn’t work for me. But fine. Let’s accept that as a narrative. Let’s look at it from a human perspective. Lady dreams of something for 16 years. She throws her life out of the window twice over and starts living the dream and 5 minutes in she decides that her dream is crushed and it was actually the cause of her nightmares? How can any human being second guess themselves so fast and so hard? How can any human being give anything up so fast? Where is the cognitive dissonance? But fine, let’s accept that too. Did she really get out of theater because she didn’t agree with the lyrics of the songs? Does she know that this musical seemed to be set in the 1800s and gender roles were different then? Did she never encounter the same issue with historically set musicals while she was at school doing musical courses or in theaters watching musicals or on the internet obsessing over them? Did she just figure this out? Seriously? And is the fact the she doesn’t find the lyrics a positive message enough reason to ruin a show for the entire cast and her director who worked hard on producing it? Didn’t she work hard on overcoming rash selfishness? Does this still work like, oh I don’t like this, I want to change it, and if I can’t I still will and I don’t care about anything or anyone else?

I think this is a good message and I don't think it is that unrealistic that Rebecca would only realise it now. But I think the message should be gradual and spread over several episodes, not handled in one single episode. The whole time of preparing the performance was condensed into a short some about ticktocking clocks, which was ... odd.

... PAULA. Whaaaaaat just happened? 40 something Paula got a degree in law at a noname college while she worked full time and ran a household (aka maybe ran into Scott or her teenage son at home once a week in the morning) and actually got a heart attack before her exams. And I am supposed to believe that she graduated top of her class and won awards under those circumstances? And I am supposed to believe that because she has a noname law degree at the age of 40something and has experience as a paralegal employers are now competing for her to grace them with an interview so they can join the bidding war for her junior level expertise? That’s not how the labor market and hiring processes work, ladies and gentlemen.

Yeaaaah ... Paula just seems to be perfect at everything. :P Including poker now. I actually find her various talents funny from the start, like how realistic is it that a random paralegal is also a brilliant spy with all that equipment ready in season 1?

On the bright side, Valencia’s storyline was very Valencia (though it still has the full potential of getting completely screwed up) and Josh’s conversation with Estrella was very funny. 

I’d like to hear about Hector, Sunil, Naomi, White Josh, Darryl’s daughter’s relationship or lack there of with Heather  (since this was a whole deal with rebecca and Heather was as much Hebby’s “mother“ as her). 

Valencia finally realised she can be the one to propose! Yay! This has to happen in the last episode, right? It was Valencia's dream from the start to get engaged and married!

I think there is just enough of Hector, don't really need to see Sunil, yes to more Naomi, WhiJo was funny in the last episode, and yes, more of both baby Whitefeathers. How does Madison deal with a younger sister now?

Also: AJ is adorable and sweet.

Where did the whole theatre plot go though? :dunno: It is high time for Rebecca to find her passion in life - it is not about the boys! :commie:

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I want to know that too! Paula is veeeeery lucky. Although ... her fancy new job could still turn out to be terrible. It was only her first week and we didn't see her have any work assigned, she just got money to start with ... for some reason. Why did Paula think what she wears would be more important than what she actually does?

Yes. Just ... I just don't get what the point of these love problems is anymoe. But it was interesting that this whole episodes was women talking about all sorts of stuff, and then there were men who basically only talked about their love life and one particular woman. Is there such a thing as a ledhceB test? :P

I think this is a good message and I don't think it is that unrealistic that Rebecca would only realise it now. But I think the message should be gradual and spread over several episodes, not handled in one single episode. The whole time of preparing the performance was condensed into a short some about ticktocking clocks, which was ... odd.

Yeaaaah ... Paula just seems to be perfect at everything. :P Including poker now. I actually find her various talents funny from the start, like how realistic is it that a random paralegal is also a brilliant spy with all that equipment ready in season 1?

Valencia finally realised she can be the one to propose! Yay! This has to happen in the last episode, right? It was Valencia's dream from the start to get engaged and married!

I think there is just enough of Hector, don't really need to see Sunil, yes to more Naomi, WhiJo was funny in the last episode, and yes, more of both baby Whitefeathers. How does Madison deal with a younger sister now?

Also: AJ is adorable and sweet.

Where did the whole theatre plot go though? :dunno: It is high time for Rebecca to find her passion in life - it is not about the boys! :commie:

Because Paula has the maturity of a 14 year old? And apparently the professional experience of a senior partner at a NY monsterfirm. Oh well. 

I mean Rebecca, Audra, Heather and Valencia were also all talking about love and men (or her partner, in Valencia’s case). 

I can’t wrap my head around how it is a good message, or how they plan to resolve this whole series now that Rebecca quit law (something she was great at) and quit theatre (something she was passionate about). Is she going to find her passion in her bloody pretzel business? 

Well you know how it is with realistic. Sometimes spying or turning into a large bug is not as unrealistic as an everyday activity’s being distorted for fictional purposes. The common viewer won’t really know how spying works, but they are quite likely to know how employment works. 

Well that made nooooo sense to me. I mean Beth said she wasn’t ready to get married. If Valencia proposes, she’ll magically be ready to get married? She just didn’t want to propose? That’d be rather mean and manipulative. 

Yeah. So do have any idea what’s going to be Rebecca’s passion? 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Because Paula has the maturity of a 14 year old? And apparently the professional experience of a senior partner at a NY monsterfirm. Oh well. 

I mean Rebecca, Audra, Heather and Valencia were also all talking about love and men (or her partner, in Valencia’s case).

Sure they were, but it was not the only thing they talked about. Paula's career was an important issue, and the weird relationship between Audra and Rebecca, Audra's mental state etc. All of their stories were centered on them, while with the guys it seemed like they only cared about Rebecca in the whole episode. Except AJ, who also cared about overtime, and Darryl, who seems to care greatly about the concept of columns.

I can’t wrap my head around how it is a good message, or how they plan to resolve this whole series now that Rebecca quit law (something she was great at) and quit theatre (something she was passionate about). Is she going to find her passion in her bloody pretzel business?

I mean, I think it was a good message that they tried to show that the unrealistic, outdated lyrics from musicals were what harmed Rebecca's outlook on life greatly, and that we need to be critical with what we base our lives on. I just think this message was not examined deeply enough.

I don't think she is going to find her passion in her pretzel business. I think she needs to go back to theatre and get into writing, because she looked so happy doing it and because it was a theme way back in season 1. But I think it is a problem that there is so little time left that they cannot possibly build up that story gradually.

And I don't mean she should give up her pretzel business or whatever day job she might have, I think she should just pursue theatre as a hobby and find passion in something she doesn't live off.

Well you know how it is with realistic. Sometimes spying or turning into a large bug is not as unrealistic as an everyday activity’s being distorted for fictional purposes. The common viewer won’t really know how spying works, but they are quite likely to know how employment works.

Talking about unrealistic storylines ... what I cannot wrap my head around is Serrano's restaurant. I mean, he had to open a restaurant as a part of his thesis? What kind of a program is that? Which MBA demands that you open a business as a part of your thesis? Do they expect all students to have their fathers' abandoned restaurants just waiting around to reopen? And now, few weeks later, the business is running smoothly and Greg acts like an experienced restaurant owner? (Also, less importantly, I am really interested in his father's thoughts on the new restaurant and Greg's decisions, but we are probably not going to get an answer to that.)

Well that made nooooo sense to me. I mean Beth said she wasn’t ready to get married. If Valencia proposes, she’ll magically be ready to get married? She just didn’t want to propose? That’d be rather mean and manipulative.

Yeah. So do have any idea what’s going to be Rebecca’s passion?

Yup, Beth saying she would be okay with saying yes just like that is odd - maybe that is her way of trying to find a compromise so that they can both be happy. Valencia has to give up the dream of being the one to be proposed to, but she gets to propose and she can get married after all. Beth does not really care about getting married, but if asked, she is willing to do it for Valencia.

As I said, probably theatre, I just don't know how they can fit that in.

7 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Sure they were, but it was not the only thing they talked about. Paula's career was an important issue, and the weird relationship between Audra and Rebecca, Audra's mental state etc. All of their stories were centered on them, while with the guys it seemed like they only cared about Rebecca in the whole episode. Except AJ, who also cared about overtime, and Darryl, who seems to care greatly about the concept of columns.

Yeah, yeah, I know. And That column thing was actually funny. 

9 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

mean, I think it was a good message that they tried to show that the unrealistic, outdated lyrics from musicals were what harmed Rebecca's outlook on life greatly, and that we need to be critical with what we base our lives on. I just think this message was not examined deeply enough.

I don't think she is going to find her passion in her pretzel business. I think she needs to go back to theatre and get into writing, because she looked so happy doing it and because it was a theme way back in season 1. But I think it is a problem that there is so little time left that they cannot possibly build up that story gradually.

And I don't mean she should give up her pretzel business or whatever day job she might have, I think she should just pursue theatre as a hobby and find passion in something she doesn't live off.

I don’t know, I have the same issue with Disney Princess waists. I mean, are there people who actually believed as a child  that their waist size should resemble that of a cartoon characters? And are there young adults who actually believe they should form their lives to the image of fictional musicals? I mean maybe there are. But really, are there? It’s so hard to believe. Okay, let’s say there are, that still doesn’t explain to me why outdated lyrics and loving theatre are mutually exclusive. 

Yeah I agree. Especially with the part that her passion shouldn’t be her job.

15 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Talking about unrealistic storylines ... what I cannot wrap my head around is Serrano's restaurant. I mean, he had to open a restaurant as a part of his thesis? What kind of a program is that? Which MBA demands that you open a business as a part of your thesis? Do they expect all students to have their fathers' abandoned restaurants just waiting around to reopen? And now, few weeks later, the business is running smoothly and Greg acts like an experienced restaurant owner? (Also, less importantly, I am really interested in his father's thoughts on the new restaurant and Greg's decisions, but we are probably not going to get an answer to that.)

i don’t know, it’s insanity. I personally am still stuck with trying to process Greg’s new face that’s a solid 10 years younger than the previous one, so I generally find it difficult to pay attention to his storyline, but it makes no sense for Greg’s business (or Rebecca’s) to just flow like that. 

17 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yup, Beth saying she would be okay with saying yes just like that is odd - maybe that is her way of trying to find a compromise so that they can both be happy. Valencia has to give up the dream of being the one to be proposed to, but she gets to propose and she can get married after all. Beth does not really care about getting married, but if asked, she is willing to do it for Valencia.

I dunnooooo. She was asked to propose to her. If Beth does not care about marriage and Valencia does, she should just propose to Valencia to make her happy because it matters to her, and Valencia shouldn’t be expected to give up something when Beth doesn’t give up anything either. If Beth is not ready to get married, she shouldn’t say yes if Valencia was to propose. And if Beth is against just the act of proposing, she should say that and then it makes sense that Valencia should propose. In all honest, none of these scenarios will result in a sensible scene, so it doesn’t even matter. 

How many episodes are there left? 4? THREE. Holy moly. They won’t be able to resolve shit in such short time... 

Part of the business course at my current university involves running their own business so i dont think that is unrealistic at all.

i think buck is correct regarding Rebecca and theatre writing. Makes sense really, her life has been completely informed by writing her own stories. Combine with her love of theatre and hey ho

And just to bring up the little things that always make me laugh, Heather’s drinks in each different scene are hilarious

and last week, the bulleting board was full of Moby Dick stuff “the whale is a metaphor!”

11 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I don’t know, I have the same issue with Disney Princess waists. I mean, are there people who actually believed as a child  that their waist size should resemble that of a cartoon characters? And are there young adults who actually believe they should form their lives to the image of fictional musicals? I mean maybe there are. But really, are there? It’s so hard to believe. Okay, let’s say there are, that still doesn’t explain to me why outdated lyrics and loving theatre are mutually exclusive.

They are not mutually exclusive, it is just that Rebecca wants more modern lyrics in theatre and not ones that spread harmful messages.

As to how it is possible that people shape their lives according to pop culture ... I think it just builds up gradually, all the messages you get from media somehow build an idea of how the world should function and one unconsciously acts it out. It is not like one sees one movie and decides to act like the characters in it.

Also, part of Rebecca's disorder is that she does not have a clear sense of identity, which makes her more susceptible (did I use that word correctly?) to messages she gets from the outside world about how she should be like, how she should look like and behave. Add to that a lack of a positive parental figure to shape her behaviour and all the harmful messages she got from her mother ... I don't see it as unrealistic that she would be more likely to develop weird ideas about how she should be.

i don’t know, it’s insanity. I personally am still stuck with trying to process Greg’s new face that’s a solid 10 years younger than the previous one, so I generally find it difficult to pay attention to his storyline, but it makes no sense for Greg’s business (or Rebecca’s) to just flow like that.

Maybe not living in West Covina makes you look 10 years younger. :lol:

I dunnooooo. She was asked to propose to her. If Beth does not care about marriage and Valencia does, she should just propose to Valencia to make her happy because it matters to her, and Valencia shouldn’t be expected to give up something when Beth doesn’t give up anything either. If Beth is not ready to get married, she shouldn’t say yes if Valencia was to propose. And if Beth is against just the act of proposing, she should say that and then it makes sense that Valencia should propose. In all honest, none of these scenarios will result in a sensible scene, so it doesn’t even matter.

Don't think about it too hard, too too hard. :P Valencia will propose and Beth will say yes, I am pretty sure this is what is going to happen.

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Part of the business course at my current university involves running their own business so i dont think that is unrealistic at all.

i think buck is correct regarding Rebecca and theatre writing. Makes sense really, her life has been completely informed by writing her own stories. Combine with her love of theatre and hey ho

Wait ... what? How is that a realistic requirement for a course? :eek: How does that work? You cannot just open a business like that while being a student. Not everybody has their father's failed Italian restaurant handy ...

Hey ho indeed!

29 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

And just to bring up the little things that always make me laugh, Heather’s drinks in each different scene are hilarious

and last week, the bulleting board was full of Moby Dick stuff “the whale is a metaphor!”

I only saw Heather's giant purple ... glass or whatever that was?

Ooooo, which scene was that? I didn't catch it!

Archived