HelenaExMachina

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S4 - We Want to Be Here [spoilers]

Easily my favourite episode of the season. Things are coming together nicely for the finale. The music was fab this week, and the tap dancing number more than delivered! Can we appreciate so,e of the subtle jokes too. Like referencing a grocery clerk who then winks, because, y’know, grocery clerk with half and eye lid. She’s also the same clerk from S1 and 3 that Valencia does the party for.

and other cameos, Jayma And her husband and baby, who Josh later brings up because he bought her flowers. And the moving guys who move Rebecca’s stuff.

Also :laugh: because Daryl in the Medium Place make it happen!

More nerdiness from Nathaniel. Love it

Last day of filming :( and we have a month to wait before the final five episodes. But I thought Greg was only back through the holidays?!

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Yup, more plot! Very positive episode too. :) Despite ... all the corpses and contagious squirrel viruses.

I totally didn't recognise Josh's sister and brother in law, thanks for pointing that out! I did recognise Ally the grocery store girl and I remembered Jayma when Josh said his sister just had a baby - nice follow up on his family.

I thought that was Mindy St. Claire from the Medium Place! :D  Also when Nathaniel said he read all those books on ethical philosophy, I thought he had some lessons with Chidi. :P

Yay for Paula! Slightly disappointed that we did not actually see her taking the exam. Now I hope they make a big scene with a "Maybe This Dream" reprise when she founds out that she passed it with flying colours where her dreams actually come true. Or maybe a scene where Paula tap-dances, because this series is still missing that.

And really excited for Rebecca's audition and how the theatre dream turns out.

My only problem with the episode was, again, Darryl's plot being completely disconnected from the others. Could they not at least make a short scene where Darryl actually talks to Paula, which is why he came to the hospital? Or meet Rebecca/Heather/Valencia in the waiting room and ask about how Paula is doing? Again, there was no character or interaction to tie Darryl's plotline with the others.

On the other hand, I am really happy to see Madison, she is always adorable.

Wait ... five weeks till the next episode, you say? What nonsense is this? Greg is only back until Valentine's day, which is what CXG considers the series (of holidays).

ETA: Love how Heather always has knowledge of random things ... like how the hospital is structured and all about health insurance this time. Because of her husband.

Edited by Buckwheat

Oh. My. God. What. Even. Was. This? 

Spoiler

What kind of F’ed up message is this? Leave the hospital after a heart attack without a doctor signing you off because... you can’t retake exams? Risk your insurance because... you can’t retake exams? You almost died so... you have to dive back into life at double speed because that wasn’t what almost killed you in the first place? Dream or not, Paula’s level of workaholism needs all the therapy and meds Rebecca is getting. 

And really, everybody is on anti-depressants and that’s totally fine? Because it’s better than crusades and witch hunts? My god. 

Squirrel flu? Actual. Squirrel. Flu? Not a broken sliding door? Not the electricity going out? Not a legit sickness? Squirrel goddamn flu?! At least make them cough or follow up on this whole terrible excuse to lock characters in one room. Like have a doctor say Okay gentlemen, you are all fine! And how did Madison and her frenemy know the squirrel kid would be running out of the door at that very moment? Or how did they arrange it? If this is a real illness, they just decided to expose their parents to it like that? What in the world was this whole squirrel flu? 

And HOW in the world did nobody notice that Paula was gone for over 6 hours?  

But sure, i’m glad that Rebecca dumped Greg and auditions for a musical. That’s exactly what I wanted last week and I suppose I got that, so I might as well shut up and try to ignore the other 95% of the episode. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

You missed the point of the song. It's about removing the stigma of taking anti-depressants, and the show has already addressed pretty well over its entire run time that drugs alone aren't the answer, they are just there to help Rebecca manage her symptoms while she deals with her underlying issues. 

I agree with Rhae about Paula. Her actions this episode did really not convey the message that she learned to prioritise her health. I think it is odd that nobody came there are signed her off, even if Dr. Roth was unavailable that morning. And of course that nobody checked in on her when she was absent from the hospital.

Is it possible that it comes up at some point in her legal career that she was supposedly in the hospital while she was taking the exam? I know that the show won't continue to show that, but it could be a problem.

Also, I wonder if that scene in the fighting song was supposed to be referencing Star Wars. Why not use lightsabers? They even mentioned futuristic weapons! :P

Edited by Buckwheat

On 2/10/2019 at 8:37 PM, Buckwheat said:

I agree with Rhae about Paula. Her actions this episode did really not convey the message that she learned to prioritise her health. I think it is odd that nobody came there are signed her off, even if Dr. Roth was unavailable that morning. And of course that nobody checked in on her when she was absent from the hospital.

Is it possible that it comes up at some point in her legal career that she was supposedly in the hospital while she was taking the exam? I know that the show won't continue to show that, but it could be a problem.

Also, I wonder if that scene in the fighting song was supposed to be referencing Star Wars. Why not use lightsabers? They even mentioned futuristic weapons! :P

Our lawyers won't let us use brand names :P

in case anyone missed this btw, they are doing a musical special after the finale (sounds like the live shows they toured). Hope that comes to Netflix too!

https://m.eonline.com/amp/news/1010711/this-is-how-crazy-ex-girlfriend-is-ending?__twitter_impression=true