NCAA Basketball 2017-2018: Madness both in and on the court

Rhom

16 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I like this.  Will there be a Villanova be #2 come Monday?

Yep.  Arizona's streak is broken.

Rumor around Billy Preston is that the car in the accident belonged to Ben McLemore, and maybe we'll be hearing something about it later today.  He'll probably have to payback a usage fee and sit a number of games based on that amount, with the five he's already sat factored in... hopefully he'll be playing soon.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I don't know that I've ever found myself wanting Indiana to win...

They are playing out of their minds tonight.

I turned it on with about 7 minutes to go, so all I ended up seeing was Indiana getting called for a foul any time they breathed on Duke.  And a Duke player fouling out, that was weird.

54 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I turned it on with about 7 minutes to go, so all I ended up seeing was Indiana getting called for a foul any time they breathed on Duke.  And a Duke player fouling out, that was weird.

Duke has been dodging bullets for the past two weeks.  Portland State.  Texas.  Florida.  Now IU.

Their luck will run out soon.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

:blink:

Okay... that makes no sense.

No, it really doesn't.  It won't surprise me if in a couple of weeks (end of semester) we get a story about how much he misses his mom and has decided to quit the team to spend more time with her before going professional this summer.  All the while we hear nothing about why he has yet to play, and internet speculation runs wild.

We haven't finished a season with our top big man actually playing for the past six years now.  Most of the time it has been injuries, so this is by far the most bizarre.  It's getting damn frustrating.  

There's a lot to be said of yanking a freshman 3 star prospect with no tape out of college to "prepare" for the NBA draft. But hey, now those Gelo shoes will be available in time to see him not get drafted at all. I saw an article that quoted a GM along the lines of saying that Ball isn't even on their extended list of players to scout. I honestly kind of feel bad for this kid.

VCU v Texas tonight on ESPN2. The return of Shaka to Siegel Center. The atmosphere will be insane. I don't think we're good enough to beat Texas, especially without Vann or Crowfield, but I'm really looking forward to Shaka being back in the building. I hope we give him a big ovation before the game starts.

FSU beating Florida was one result I definitely did not see coming.  The Seminoles strengths played right into Florida's weaknesses.  The Gators were uncharacteristically off from long range and FSU controlled pretty much the entire second half.

9 hours ago, Mexal said:

VCU v Texas tonight on ESPN2. The return of Shaka to Siegel Center. The atmosphere will be insane. I don't think we're good enough to beat Texas, especially without Vann or Crowfield, but I'm really looking forward to Shaka being back in the building. I hope we give him a big ovation before the game starts.

That should probably be a good game.  Unfortunately I won't be home until it's over (or at the very end).  And at the same time WVU-UVA should also be a very good game, and Villanova-Gonzaga, Arizona-aTm, SMU-TCU...  Very nice slate of games for a Tuesday in very early December.

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

Looked to be a stinker at first, but the last four minutes here looks like it is going to be great basketball!

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Looked to be a stinker at first, but the last four minutes here looks like it is going to be great basketball!

Turned out to be a good game but like every VCU game against a good opponent, we're able to stay close (or get back in it) until the last 2 minutes then lose it. We haven't closed one of these games yet we've been in all 4 until the final 2 minutes. Frustrating.

Reflecting on the game last night, I have two things to say:

1. VCU will be really good next year. Our young guys are getting an incredible amount of playing time, playing very well without two starters and Marcus Evans will eligible to play. Our defense is horrendous and I think that's the hardest thing to really get good at without a consistent system like VA uses. Three coaches in four years with 3 different defenses hasn't helped. This season will be A-10 championship or bust though unless we can beat Seton Hall on Saturday and Bucknell the following week. Without those wins, we will have to win the A-10 tournament.

2. VCU has the best college basketball atmosphere in the country and the only other school that might be close is Dayton. It was so deafening for Texas last night that when Khris Lane hit a 3 to complete the 19 pt comeback, he couldn't even hear himself talk. All of the Texas writers said it was the best atmosphere they've ever been in and I'm super proud that this is true. I keep hoping that Armando Bacot makes a decision to stay home simply because the fans are the best but I doubt he will.

It’s not often that I will switch off a UK game to watch a Duke game... but the score coming across the bottom line here made me feel the need!

#bostonstrong

Archived