Rest In Peace Roy Dotrice

The Fattest Leech

Edward_IV.jpg

I have truly loved every bit of this mans' work since he first scared the hell out of me when I watched Amadeus for the first time as a child.

Roy in the early Brit comedy Misleading Cases.

There has never been a man who could change his whole persona and physical nature from one character to another the way Dotrice did, and all without gobs of makeup and CGI.

The Roy Dotrice Website for more reading.

Veteran British actor Roy Dotrice, best known to U.S. audiences for his role as Wisdom Hallyne the pyromancer on Season 2 of “Game of Thrones,” died Monday at his home in London. He was 94.

Dotrice’s role on “Game of Thrones” Season 2 was not his first time working with George R.R. Martin, author of the book series which the television show is based on. Dotrice first gained recognition for recording the audio books for each installment in Martin’s famed series, “A Song of Fire and Ice.” In 2004, he earned a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records for the greatest number of characters voiced by a single actor in an audio book: 224 characters, all of which he voiced for “A Game of Thrones,” the first novel in the series. The audio book is a staggering 33 hours long.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/roy-dotrice-game-thrones-amadeus-182544721.html

And Roy narrated more than just ASOIAF and Dreamsongs books/stories for GRRM:

• Watership Down
  • Robin Hood TV series -
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • Batman - cartoon series
  • Death Gate Cycle Vol. 4: Serpent Mage
  • Three volumes of George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice And Fire" with over 500 different characters! Includes "A Game of Thrones" sited by Guinness Book of World Records for the greatest number of characters (224) voiced in an audio book. And just released "A Feast for Crows"
  • Winnie the Pooh *Grammy Award Nomination*
  • The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff

• The Little Mermaid
  • The Little Mermaid (Christmas Edition)
  • Pocahontas
  • The Hunting of the Snark
  • The Lion King
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Beauty and the Beast (Christmas Edition)

more to read about this character Roy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Dotrice

George on NotABlog

https://grrm.livejournal.com/552374.html

I have no idea what that Yahoo article is referencing in terms of the show, but Dotrice is best known to me for bringing the Game of Thrones books to life. He was a phenomenal voice actor. I haven't listened to him since Dance came out, but I can hear his voice reading specific passages right now. 

Sad news. I probably wouldn't be on this forum or delved into Martin's work, if he hadn't made A Song Of Ice And Fire come to life.

I hope he was aware of the pleasure he gave to so many  people before he crossed over.

12 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I have no idea what that Yahoo article is referencing in terms of the show,

Dotrice played Wisdom Hallyne, the chief pyromancer, in Season 2 of the TV show. He was supposed to play Pycelle but pulled out due to ill health and his friend Julian Glover took over from him on short notice.

I think he did an awesome job on narrating ASOIAF audio books, don't get what some folks didn't like about his voice, but then I haven't listened to anyone else narrating those. RIP. 

Wonder who's gonna do the other two (if they ever will be released)

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Dotrice played Wisdom Hallyne, the chief pyromancer, in Season 2 of the TV show. He was supposed to play Pycelle but pulled out due to ill health and his friend Julian Glover took over from him on short notice.

I guess I have no memory of that character, was he made up for the show? Too bad about the health, Pycelle would have been great for him.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

I guess I have no memory of that character, was he made up for the show? Too bad about the health, Pycelle would have been great for him.

Nope. Tyrion deals with him on page. Here is a wiki refresher 

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Hallyne

The show is abysmal, but when I saw Dotrice on screen and he tells, nay, snaps to Tyrion and Bronn , "my order does not deal in pig shit," I loved it. Best scene of the whole series. 

Found it:

It was a relief to see GRRM note this passing on notablog.   Especially reiterating that Roy Dotrice was indeed the voice of Ice and Fire.   If you haven't read it, GRRM tells of Mr. Dotrice being unavailable to narrate AFFC due to some other commitment.  Then of the barrage of letters Random House received afterward.   Once he was free Mr. Dotrice narrated AFFC.   And the peasants rejoiced.    You can't follow an act like that, setting world records in the sheer quantity of voices he portrayed.   I'm so pleased this is the man who brought ASOIAF to my world.   I know it's selfish, but I do hope Roy Dotrice recorded the prologue for TWOW.   Maybe not if the book really isn't done, but I would like him to ring in the end of the epic.   My opinion means naught, still I think there will need to be several narrators for the books to come.    I don't know of any actor who can do what that man did.   What a loss.   

Archived