Happy Revelations Day

Brad Stark

On Jul. 12th, 2017 at 5:08 PM, GRRM posted:

Alas, alas, that great city Valyria, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come. 

Current Mood:enigmatic

Followed by a cool picture of Valyria.  This is an obvious substitution of Revelations 18:10 "Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come." in the King James Bible.

Fans have speculated the reference to 18/10 was the date 10/18/2017 (or sadly October 2018) and that this would be the date "Winds of Winter" would be available for purchase, or now more likely, the date publication would be announced. 

There is no Revelation 10:18, so I am inclined to disregard the 18/10 vs 18/10 order of the numbers.  I don't believe ASOIAF books have consistent page numbering between versions, so I don't have any ideas for what else 10 18 could refer to.  If GRRM just felt the quote appropriate and liked the art, why the "enigmatic" mood and why is the post closed to comments?

So maybe nothing happens, and I will sound like the next David Meade, but maybe we finally see the announcement we've all been checking "Not a blog" every day for the past 6 years!  Either way, Happy Revelation Day!

Archived