The Core - Spoilers

Rhom

I just noticed today while getting on Amazon to order something else that The Core released on October 3.  The series had a decent following on this site at one time, so I was a bit surprised to see there was no discussion on it.

So anyways, I don't have the book yet... but it will be here in a couple days and I will start reading it; figured I'd open the topic and see if anyone was reading it or had read it yet.  I made the topic Spoilers for ease of use, but if you could go easy on them in the first few replies; I would be much obliged.  :D 

8 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'll start it after I finish my Halloween reading.  Really looking forward to it. What are the odds that Arlen goes to the core and rapes the demon queen? 1:1? 1:5? 1:100? Probably that last one.

Nah... I think Arlen gets to the Core, they kill the Demon Queen and then Jardir rapes him with a handy trident laying around.  (Sadly... that story has essentially already been done in this series though.)

I am looking forward to reading the book though.  Skull Throne really was an improvement on the previous entries and there were a lot of plotlines which I have probably forgotten all about that need resolution.

20 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I think most of that following dropped out around book 3 for various reasons and those that were left dropped out around book 4.

I, for one, had forgotten about the dialogue stylization tics until you guys reminded me and then it all came rushing back and nooooo

1 minute ago, Ajûrbkli said:

So last I remember, Arlen and Jardir jumped off a cliff and then there was a book of Jardir's life told their wife's perspective or something?  That's when I dropped the series.

That's book 3. Also where the hillbilly speak is turned up to 11.

3 hours ago, Little Valkyrie said:

I, for one, had forgotten about the dialogue stylization tics until you guys reminded me and then it all came rushing back and nooooo

Heh, try reading um, omg I can't even think of her name hold on a second...

Karen Miller. Try reading her first series if you think the hillbilly speak in this is bad. Your brain will bled.

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

That's book 3. Also where the hillbilly speak is turned up to 11.

Heh, try reading um, omg I can't even think of her name hold on a second...

Karen Miller. Try reading her first series if you think the hillbilly speak in this is bad. Your brain will bled.

Shit what was that called. The innocent mage?

I'm 80 pages in and I'm a bit worried about where this is heading...  I'll stick it in spoiler tags since most people here aren't reading yet.

Spoiler

Leesha's baby with Jardin is born early because of the frequent exposure to magic.

Its a hermaphrodite.  Has a perfectly formed penis and vagina.  Then there's a bit of social commentary where Darsy suggests picking either boy or girl and doing a surgery as noted in the old writings and Leesha declares her barbaric for even suggesting such.

Considering the reputation this series has in some corners of the internet, I can't help but wonder where things are going from here...

200 pages in and the castrations have started!

I really do enjoy these books and other GrimDark books, but I don’t understand the fascination with gay rape and castration in the sub genre as a whole.

36 minutes ago, Rhom said:

200 pages in and the castrations have started!

I really do enjoy these books and other GrimDark books, but I don’t understand the fascination with gay rape and castration in the sub genre as a whole.

Uh, you must be reading different GrimDark books then I do.

Edit: Honestly, what the hell are you reading?

12 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Uh, you must be reading different GrimDark books then I do.

The “protagonist” of the First Law was a castrati.

Some posters here admit to cheering Cnaiur on Conphas action.

Rape with a broomstick was used for character development in The Grim Company.

These books from the Desert Spear on.

I could go on... but it’s a recurring theme.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Eh, that's one castrati, and those are only 4 authors. I could name a whole bunch more that DON'T have gay rape.

I would hope so, but I feel it to be disturbingly prevalent as an easy way to say “look how grim I am!!!”

17 hours ago, Rhom said:

These books from the Desert Spear on.

I seem to remember there was a fair bit of criticism of how many women were raped in the first book. Brett seems to have addressed that by having a load of male characters get raped after that. 

10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I seem to remember there was a fair bit of criticism of how many women were raped in the first book. Brett seems to have addressed that by having a load of male characters get raped after that. 

No rape at all in book four.

Halfway through.  Enjoying it well enough.  Curious about where these plot threads with Miln and Duke Euchor are really headed and why we are spending so much time with Ragen and Elissa.  And a guy named Derek I have no recollection of...  (being that he's from Brayan, I'm assuming he's from the short story Brayan's Gold that I've not read).

I will also say that out of all the book series I've read that feature a "protagonist goes home to set things right with his family before the final battle" type scene, this one has been the most fulfilling.  All the homecomings have seemed totally productive and worthwhile.  A too rare occurrence IMO.

Archived