Varys and Cersei

Tygett Lannister

Do you think Varys should marry Cersei after Robert's death and rule the 7 Kingdoms?

Okay seriously.

This is a quote from Tyrion's chapter in A Clash of Kings. He has supper with Cersei and they talk. Tyrion says they have arrested the traitors that wanted to open the gates to Stannis:

"Are you certain you've found them all?"

"Varys says so" The swan was too rich for his taste. A line appeared on Cersei's pale white brow, between those lovely eyes. "You put too much trust in that eunuch."

"He serves me well."

"Or so he'd have you believe. You think you're the only one he whispers secrets to?He gives each of us just enough to convince us that we'd be helpless without him. "He played the same game with me, when I first wed Robert. For years, I was convinced I had no truer friend at court, but now ..." She studied his face for a moment. "He says you mean to take the Hound from Joffrey."

Damn Varys. "I need Clegane for more important duties".

What do you think Varys's game was here. Why did he "help" Cersei like he "helped" Tyrion?

1. Do you think he just wanted to gain her trust and be able to manipulate her?

2. He was trying to keep Westeros stable because Aegon wasn't ready yet?

3. He was trying to keep Westeros stable because he believed he can do that by having happy Cersei - Robert couple on the throne, have prosperous realm with them ruling and only later realized they won't do and created Aegon?

For me it is both first and second but the third could also be possible since she says for years so that can mean like 5 years and if you take a 5 years old kid with Valyrian features you have enough time to educate him into "a perfect king".

Also why did he tell Cersei about the Hound?

24 minutes ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

Do you think he just wanted to gain her trust and be able to manipulate her?

Cersei would have been quite young at the time so she would have been quite easy to manipulate in a brand new court. It is very likely that getting in with the new queen and helping her was a means to an end. By knowing her secrets and desires, he could accommodate for her and control her, as he did with Tyrion.

26 minutes ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

He was trying to keep Westeros stable because Aegon wasn't ready yet?3. He was trying to keep Westeros stable because he believed he can do that by having happy Cersei - Robert couple on the throne, have prosperous realm with them ruling and only later realized they won't do and created Aegon?

There is a chance that Young Griff might not have even been born or acquired yet, if Aegon is actually (f)Aegon. But even if that child really was Rhaegar's son, then definitely he wouldn't want to bring any instability to Westeros because the whole "selling point" about Young Griff is that he was trained in the art of diplomacy, culture and languages in order to make him an effective and wise ruler, rather than just a rightful heir. He is designed to conquer the Seven Kingdoms and become a great peacetime ruler.

Trouble is, of course, that Aegon's own son could turn out to be another Joffrey and mess everything up within a generation.

With Robert, I doubt he ever truly supported that regime. He was Master of Whisperers before Robert became king so he likely knew how unsuitable he was for the task.

16 minutes ago, Faera said:

With Robert, I doubt he ever truly supported that regime. He was Master of Whisperers before Robert became king so he likely knew how unsuitable he was for the task.

Don't really know why would he have much interest in a heir to Lord Paramount of Stormlands that just turned 18 (or sth like that). But yes he would realize he is not fit pretty fast.

6 minutes ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

Don't really know why would he have much interest in a heir to Lord Paramount of Stormlands that just turned 18 (or sth like that). But yes he would realize he is not fit pretty fast.

There would have been plenty of reason to look into him once the rebellion began.

2 hours ago, Tygett Greenshield said:

No shit!

A man by default in the "Top 10 Most Influential People in Westeros" list NOT attracting much interest from the Master of Whispers?

BTW - Robert had been Lord Paramount since he had been 15 or 16 ...

18 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

No shit!

A man by default in the "Top 10 Most Influential People in Westeros" list NOT attracting much interest from the Master of Whispers?

BTW - Robert had been Lord Paramount since he had been 15 or 16 ...

Oh yes he was Paramount for like 4 years before the Rebellion. The weird thing is Robert is Jon Arryn's ward while being Lord Paramount of the Stormlands for 4 years what? 

On 10/21/2017 at 6:46 AM, Tygett Greenshield said:

What do you think Varys's game was here. Why did he "help" Cersei like he "helped" Tyrion?

1. Do you think he just wanted to gain her trust and be able to manipulate her?

what else would a man with no penis who is plotting the overthrow of the current ruling family do?

2. He was trying to keep Westeros stable because Aegon wasn't ready yet?

More like setting up the pieces on the board 

3. He was trying to keep Westeros stable because he believed he can do that by having happy Cersei - Robert couple on the throne, have prosperous realm with them ruling and only later realized they won't do and created Aegon?

He would not have pulled the pisswater prince trick unless there was a long term plan 

For me it is both first and second but the third could also be possible since she says for years so that can mean like 5 years and if you take a 5 years old kid with Valyrian features you have enough time to educate him into "a perfect king".

(f)Aegon has spent his whole life with JuanCon so no

Leverage, and see number 1 

On 10/21/2017 at 8:46 AM, Tygett Greenshield said:

Varys probably wanted to keep both of them close to be able to manipulate them. Thats why he kept feeding them the kind of information they would want to have. And creating more tension between Tyrion and Cersei was an added bonus.

Archived