Why do people hate Sansa?

manchester_babe

10 minutes ago, Jon_Stargaryen said:

Cat or Tyrion, maybe? 

both of them did much mor wrong then sansa, and they are adults, no children.

I think its stupid to hate a character for his actions in the first and second book. its been a long time since then, sansa developed to a great character and her time in the Vale is one of the mot interesting arcs imo.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:37 PM, Joy Hill said:

I just find it odd that in a series where other characters' questionable actions include raping sex slaves and murdering an old man for no other reason than "just following orders", Sansa often seems to be presented as the most amoral one.

I must protest.

I don't think Sansa gets more flack than other characters who have done objectively worse things (with the exception of Tyrion, perhaps). The thing is, Sansa fans seemed determined to give her a free pass on the things she does, citing her age as an excuse, in spite of the very adult decisions she tries to make for herself.

This is more or less a response to those that refuse to accept that she dun fucked up pretty frequently.

4 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

both of them did much mor wrong then sansa, and they are adults, no children.

Debatable.

Cat kidnapped Tyrion because she believed she was bringing justice to her son. Now the fact that she caused the War of Five Kings with this move doesn't make this wrong; just misguided.

She hated Jon Snow because he was the bastard of her husband, and the living proof that her husband had cheated on her. In a society that is rooted in perception, this is a major blight on her familial image.

She didn't really do anything wrong, as much as she trusted the wrong people. (though I will concede that freeing Jaime was wrong, given that she knew for certain that it was against the will of her King)

Tyrion on the other hand did most of his dirt in the later books.

Everything that he did in GoT through SoS (BoB, where he roasted hundreds' negotiating for the alliance with the Tyrells, Killing Tywin, smacking Joffrey, marrying Sansa (under duress)) was done in service of his King/family. We call it wrong because we're all on the opposite side, but in truth, it's just good strategy.

Even killing Shae wasn't truly wrong, given that she gave false testimony against him (though this wasn't the reason he really killed her).

The only people of unimpeachable moral fortitude are probably Jon Snow and Renly Baratheon (was tempted to add Stannis, but... you know... Shadow Babies...) 

My belief is that the reason people hate Sansa is they don't have a reason to root for her . Strangely her story is similar to the forgotten Jeyne Poole .At first they both start out as mean girls , then they fall into the clutches first the Lannisters then into Baelish's hands and in Jeyne's case the Boltons , you feel sympathy for them . And now what ? Everybody is ready for Sansa's character to have learn something else besides keep your mouth shut to advance stop being the little girl with songs in her head . They want to see her break Littlefinger and seize the Vale and Riverlands .

On 23.10.2017. at 11:12 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

but GRRM wrote her to be hated in the first two books.

There are two type of hate:

1) Hate sink- a character is written to be hated by public.

2) Scrappy- public hate a character, even though an author never intended  for him to hated.

Sansa clearly disunites the Fandom, seated between the chairs without ever rising or shifting from any. No hatred for Cersei, no hatred for Littlefinger, that is: no real Stark? I’d say real enough, since Sansa adds her own variant to the Stark’s trait of skin-changing.

Some of you think that it harms her popularity to be the least magical amongst the Stark children. Agreed, with her wolf Lady dead there is no getting out of the skin for Sansa. But Sansa does not stop at the surface: not only is she willing to give Cersei the longed-for wolfskin, Sansa keeps on giving up her father and her maiden name to a hostile environment. „What’s in a Name?” after all.
Boltons are despised for parading in the skins of their enemies without really possessing their skills, such as the Starks and their skin-changing. Sansa is similarly despised for letting her enemies have her skin and triumph over her.

All gloating might be too early, when in truth Sansa belongs to herself alone/ Alayne (= German “alone”). Having never repelled any of her many identities, Sansa is close to get herself a sixth skin: she will always be a Stark and Tully, but her love for Joffrey “Baratheon” was as sincere and she stays wed to the Lannister Tyrion; beyond that she is affectionate as Baelish’s bastard and inspires love in the young Arryn. Sansa “Six(s)kins” not so much sheds skins, but keeps them to get herself a very thick one. To her critics’ dismay, Sansa always stays the same and always in a pleasant way, so her enemies like to adorn themselves with her.

Under their enemies’ skins Boltons pursue their own interests; in the skin of her enemy Sansa loses track of her own interests. Cersei drinks herself immune in the attempt to gain helpful forgetfulness. But the wishes stay and she wants Littlefinger to stay as well – he, the ever so willing fulfiller of wishes, who readily handed over her whole kin to Robert’s fury. For this sort of greed there is a German saying: Give somebody a little finger, and he will take the whole hand. So being perfectly happy is the best protection against Littlefinger. Impossible, isn’t it? But does anyone know what Sansa really wants? Littlefinger believes he knows it, but Sansa seems to be genuinely happy in the Vale without wishing for anything more. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sansa chooses to stay Alayne should Littlefinger publicly try to reveal her as Sansa. That would make Littlefinger look like the liar he is and it would make Sansa the first princess who chose to stay in the tower, leaving the knight in the shining armor going after the ugly maid.

Littlefinger turns his enemies into friends through debts and turns those “friends” against each other; Sansa through her friendliness entangles her enemies into a network of guilt:

Being Alayne not only devalues Sansa for the game of thrones, but gets Brienne caught between the fronts in her stead. When Brienne said „I will find the girl and keep her safe“, little did she know that a girl on the road won’t stay a girl for long and that there is no such thing as a safe place … even if you are a very ugly girl, splendidly shielded with a hero’s sword and the king’s order. More so than Brienne, Sansa was trained for peacetime.

After all that mutual slaughter during wartime, being the starkest Stark won’t win you a medal. Life is not survival of the fittest, but of the most adaptable. If GRRM’s bittersweet ending indeed comes up to Lord of the Rings’ final exodus of superhuman power, namely when Fire and Ice extinguished each other, then the least magical of all Starks might be all we have left. Sansa’s adaption of skin-changing is free of irony and selfishness. When she fell in love with Joffrey, it was against all odds. Everybody could easily see that this Joffrey won’t incorporate the friendship between Stark-Baratheon, but the hate between Stark-Lannister. „By what right does the wolf judge the lion?” Love thy neighbor as thyself is easy with someone akin to you, see Jaime; it comes not as easy if you have to put yourself into someone offensive to you. Sansa had to experience that on her own skin for quite some time. The same conflicts that tore the realm apart, she had to endure as part of her own being. You can develop a nervous stomach and a taste for bittersweet lemon cakes under those conditions, I guess. Conditions under which even wishing for peace can be mistaken, if that peace comes to you in the form of a marriage bed. We know how well that turned out for Cersei. The North remembers, but with some reason the North remits nonetheless.

(Sorry for the poor use of my third language and thank you to everyone who tries to find some sense in my words.)

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2017 at 7:12 PM, Pikachu101 said:

People can't get over GoT and accept that kids are stupid, which is funny because the same people who hate Sansa make a million excuses for the blunders of adult men! Sansa hate is stupid, mainly because the hatred is stemmed from this illogical belief that 1) people can't learn from the mistakes they made as kids, and 2) Sansa should have grabbed a sword and killed everyone. I kid you not, there was this one fan who insisted 9 year old Arya would have killed Joffrey and his KG.

Also Sansa's feminine and that's a big no no

OMG! Shout this from the rooftops. People excuse and forgive Jaime(whom I love) Quicker than they will Sansa or even Daenerys. 

Sansa's problem at the beginning of the story is that she is influenced too much by her mother and her septa-which is a very southern way of influence.

It's rather difficult for a Northern girl, and add the fact she is Eddard Stark's daughter, being ignorant of the things as they truly are, when she actually travels South. 

Then her knowledge of the matters she was actually taught burst as a bubble, and we as readers are involved in her character exactly in that moment. 

But, Sansa has grown lately. Suffering made her to do so. Now she has that damaged girl aura which makes her more attractive, at least to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Sansa is annoying.  Her kind of annoyance is easy to connect to real life.  Think of your high school years.  You will recall the most selfish person in the whole school who also happened to have an airhead.  That kind of character flaw is easy to understand.  Whereas an 11 year old killing machine who peels the faces off dead people like they're potatoes is not easy to understand.  One exists in the real world and the other is extreme fantasy.  

Another "Why don't people like what I do" thread... le sigh.

Sansa is her mother's daughter in how she polarizes the fan base. Honestly I think her story would've been more interesting if she would've legitimately thrown in with the Lannisters under the misguided notion that she's doing what's best for her family despite their efforts to ruin everything. Of course this would've required Joffrey and Cersei both to be less horrible people. She was already on her way to that path in the first novel.

On 10/22/2017 at 6:15 PM, manchester_babe said:

Why do people hate Sansa Stark? 

I guess because people value family and she betrayed hers over a boy.  She's dreamy and not particularly smart.

On 4/25/2018 at 0:48 PM, The Sunland Lord said:

Sansa's problem at the beginning of the story is that she is influenced too much by her mother and her septa-which is a very southern way of influence.

It's rather difficult for a Northern girl, and add the fact she is Eddard Stark's daughter, being ignorant of the things as they truly are, when she actually travels South. 

Then her knowledge of the matters she was actually taught burst as a bubble, and we as readers are involved in her character exactly in that moment. 

But, Sansa has grown lately. Suffering made her to do so. Now she has that damaged girl aura which makes her more attractive, at least to me.

Sansa has not really grown much.  She is still the same girl that left Wf.  LF is the new Joff, who she sees as her ticket to upward mobility.  

12 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Sansa has not really grown much.  She is still the same girl that left Wf.  LF is the new Joff, who she sees as her ticket to upward mobility.  

No, she just doesn't have any choice other than her "father" Petyr. I can agree that she didn't grow too much (it would be too much for her), but I can't say that she doesn't know anything about things, like it was at the beginning.  

2 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

No, she just doesn't have any choice other than her "father" Petyr. I can agree that she didn't grow too much (it would be too much for her), but I can't say that she doesn't know anything about things, like it was at the beginning.  

Not really sure I agree with that.

“You had best take that up with the Lord Protector.” She pushed through the door and crossed the yard. Colemon only wanted the best for his charge, Alayne knew, but what was best for Robert the boy and what was best for Lord Arryn were not always the same. Petyr had said as much, and it was true. Maester Colemon cares only for the boy, though. Father and I have larger concerns.

Archived