The Walking Dead: Because Season Ate Nine (Comic Spoiler Thread)

A True Kaniggit

39 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

No...  It was to lure them away with sound from speakers mounted on the drone.

No I meant after that - when he has the meeting with Negan and that later listens as they all kill the zombies because Eugene convinced Negan he could make more ammo...or something.  Dwight shooting down his ipod/kite thing was clear enough.

We just got back from the "Walker Stalker" con in NJ.... I'll tell ya, if the show losing its popularity, you couldn;t tell by the amount of people there... the place was mobbed... But as far as who dies in the mid-season finale...

Spoiler
Spoiler

Chandler Riggs cut off all of his hair.... so my money is on Carl kicking the bucket

From Rick's last scene where he sees the yard through the rifle scope, it seems like there is a burned out vehicle (maybe a bus) surrounded by debris that looks like walker corpses. So it seems that traitorous piece of scum aka Eugene's plan was to load a vehicle full of ammo, drive it into the middle of the walker crowd, and set it on fire. It then drew all the walkers to it, as flames apparently tend to do. The vehicle was probably filled with shrapnel as well. When the fire set off the ammo, the resulting explosion blew apart all the surrounding walkers.

That's what the aftermath looked like to me.

Oh, and have I said before how utterly stupid the writing on this show is?

OMFG. 90 minutes and the big reveal is both lame and happens off-screen. Fuck this show. Carl is super relevant to the post AOW stories in the comic. But, also fuck this show if he doesn't die. I expect that's the reason it happens off-screen. It's not a walker bite. Either way, fuck this show. 

Yeah I'm skeptical that he's gonna die because that would've been the finale... Carl dying. Not a mysterious bite and /episode. I don't see it happening. Also, like kairparavel said, it happened off screen. Makes no sense. 

I chose a convenient time to pause the episode and take a piss (Rick entering house with about 5 mins left). Came back and pressed play and it morphed me to live tv when Rick was leaving the house and Negan looking out window. Did they fight? What a great time to have an effing Comcast mishap. I'm pretty sure I missed a fight.... Ugh. I'll be damned if I watch the ep again just to see a two minute clip in the last 5 mins of a 90 min program when OnDemand doesn't let you FF. :bs:

50 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah I'm skeptical that he's gonna die because that would've been the finale... Carl dying. Not a mysterious bite and /episode. I don't see it happening. Also, like kairparavel said, it happened off screen. Makes no sense. 

Gimple basically confirmed he's going to die on Hardwick's show.  Although, he'll get the full midseason premiere to say goodbye, apparently.  Riggs turned 18 in June, I'm not surprised he wanted to leave the show.  It is radically different from the comic, but whaddaya gonna do, recast him?

53 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Did they fight? What a great time to have an effing Comcast mishap. I'm pretty sure I missed a fight.... Ugh.

Yeah, they fought.  It culminated with Rick going for his gun and Negan pushing him out the window.  The best part, by far, was Rick asking Negan "do you ever shut up?"

6 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

...Did they fight? What a great time to have an effing Comcast mishap. I'm pretty sure I missed a fight.... Ugh. I'll be damned if I watch the ep again just to see a two minute clip in the last 5 mins of a 90 min program when OnDemand doesn't let you FF. :bs:

Decent fight. Rick hit Negan with Lucille, although not with the business end of her. Yet another inexplicably unnecessary suspension of disbelief (of which there were numerous this episode) in order to stretch out the story.

5 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Well, THAT was a radical departure from the comic. Wow. 

Carrrrrrrrrrwwwwwlllllll!!!! Damn, fam. Hate to see that happen. But it makes sense for several reasons hough.

One, it's been known for a bit now that the actor playing Carl is going off to college. Two, part of Carl's charm in the comic is he's a kid who is more rational and capable than the majority of adults around him; on the show that's lost since the actor is already basically an adult. Lastly, Carl's post AOW storyline in the comics is his rebellious teen phase and him pursuing independence from Rick. My guess is the time jump on the show post-AOW will be longer and we'll see Judith as an adolescent and taking on the Carl role from the comics like Michonne has done for Andrea.

21 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

My guess is the time jump on the show post-AOW will be longer and we'll see Judith as an adolescent and taking on the Carl role from the comics like Michonne has done for Andrea.

That'd definitely make sense as a Carwl replacement - although one would have to wonder how in an at least ~13 year time jump the society we see in the comics didn't make more, ya know, progress (and, say, there are still "whisperers" out there).

I think he doesn't die. Carl becomes the first human to develop a resistance to the zombie virus. Thus becoming the new hope of humanity. Else they would have had him die in this episode.

Anyway, on to more important matters. Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue how all these battles work out? One moment the Saviours are virtually eliminated, the next, just because they are able to escape from the Sanctuary, they are able to totally overpower the Allies? And then, they suddenly let Maggie's group go and now the Hilltop are suddenly good to resist the Saviours again? And then Rick just walks into the middle of Negan's army, and walks out again. What the heck?

What's missing is an idea of how the ebb and flow of battle has affected the numbers of the two sides. It looked like the good guys killed hundreds of Saviours over the course of this Season. Then the remnant Saviours escape and suddenly its not even a contest? How does that work? This whole Show makes no friggin sense.

It’s been a long while since I’ve posted here... but I’m baffled by the mid season finale. 

Riggs was fired - had nothing to do with him going to college- apparently he had just purchased a house near the filming location. 

I had heard the rumors about Carl but thought no way, he has so much more to do. The actor really grew on me through the seasons and I’m sad to see him go. I stopped reading the comics at the introduction of the whisperers. I just couldn’t handle another “war” and just gave up. I’ve seen that it’s worth the read - is it? 

One theory is that he was bitten by a whisperer - but from the tiny bit I read I don’t remember them biting. I thought they fought like normal people? 

There doesn't seem to be any confirmation that Riggs was fired.  Obviously Carl will be around for at least part of the second half of the season

I assumed the ending was to introduce the Whispers.  Although it's just as likely that the writers don't know and just put it there just in case.  It could turn out that Judith bit him because she was having a toddler tantrum.

17 minutes ago, Lady Olenna said:

It’s been a long while since I’ve posted here... but I’m baffled by the mid season finale. 

Riggs was fired - had nothing to do with him going to college- apparently he had just purchased a house near the filming location. 

I had heard the rumors about Carl but thought no way, he has so much more to do. The actor really grew on me through the seasons and I’m sad to see him go. I stopped reading the comics at the introduction of the whisperers. I just couldn’t handle another “war” and just gave up. I’ve seen that it’s worth the read - is it? 

One theory is that he was bitten by a whisperer - but from the tiny bit I read I don’t remember them biting. I thought they fought like normal people? 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

There doesn't seem to be any confirmation that Riggs was fired.  Obviously Carl will be around for at least part of the second half of the season

I assumed the ending was to introduce the Whispers.  Although it's just as likely that the writers don't know and just put it there just in case.  It could turn out that Judith bit him because she was having a toddler tantrum.

There are suddenly a bunch of articles popping up about how shocked Riggs was at getting the chop, and even one where his dad makes a social media post slamming Gimple for firing his son and saying how he never trusted him or AMC, etc.

I think it is all part of a ploy to catch people off guard when Carl survives. Frankly, Carl's death makes no sense, no matter how much Gimple goes on about how it is necessary to fundamentally change Rick's perspective in order to spare Negan's life.

Frankly, if Rick doesn't have Carl to hand it all over to, I don't really know what his purpose is on the Show anymore. And if Rick goes, the Show ends.

As I said, I think it is a ploy, to surprise fans when Carl survives a Walker bite.

26 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

There are suddenly a bunch of articles popping up about how shocked Riggs was at getting the chop, and even one where his dad makes a social media post slamming Gimple for firing his son and saying how he never trusted him or AMC, etc.

I think it is all part of a ploy to catch people off guard when Carl survives. Frankly, Carl's death makes no sense, no matter how much Gimple goes on about how it is necessary to fundamentally change Rick's perspective in order to spare Negan's life.

Frankly, if Rick doesn't have Carl to hand it all over to, I don't really know what his purpose is on the Show anymore. And if Rick goes, the Show ends.

As I said, I think it is a ploy, to surprise fans when Carl survives a Walker bite.

I could subscribe to this. This is just too much of a head scratcher. The scene with Carl/Negan was easily the best in the entire finale. And I enjoy how they play off each other much more so than rick. 

I think it was only today that I realised I was done with this show. I tried watching the first 3 episodes and it just fell off my "to watch list". Not in a "this is so shit I can't face it" just a "I'm no longer invested in the show". That was cemented when I found myself happily reading spoilers for the traditional "mid/season finale death" and I didn't care when the show's second longest serving character appears to be dead. And it's pretty much for some of the reasons mentioned here, it's lazy to do deaths as events every 7 episodes as a way of justifying not much happening in between. But far worse is the fact that many of us don't even trust death in the show anymore - thanks to all the fake-outs they've used before this. I'm not sure what the show can do when we have so little faith in their storytelling tricks.

While I can't rule out it all being BS it seems from the interview with Chandler Riggs that the guy wants to study a degree. So while they may make it out to be "brave" storytelling it could be like what happens with many of the other character deaths in the show - an actor gets a gig elsewhere and so they kill them off.

Archived