The Walking Dead: Because Season Ate Nine (Comic Spoiler Thread)

A True Kaniggit

6 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Y: the last man would make a good series, imo. I thought after the rights were released again someone would pick it up but I guess not. 

I'm sure I read that BKV was working on a TV adaptation but that was probably just a comment in the letter page of Saga a year or so ago. Oh, I found this link about it being in development at FX. Hope that continues after the Disney buy out.

On 12/13/2017 at 10:30 PM, S John said:

Ok I scanned the thread so apologies if I missed it mentioned, but what was the deal with the helicopter that Rick saw?  I haven’t read the comics, but that seemed like kind of a big deal that the show has glossed over.

No, from what I can tell you didn't miss anything.  That was an incredibly important moment that that been...let's say papered over.  Wondering when/if they're going to address if myself.

On 12/11/2017 at 3:03 PM, Lady Olenna said:

It’s been a long while since I’ve posted here... but I’m baffled by the mid season finale. 

Riggs was fired - had nothing to do with him going to college- apparently he had just purchased a house near the filming location...

Yeah, after reading the EW.com interview with Chandler Riggs, I see the info I got previously was fake news. Riggs seemingly didn't know this was the end for Carl in S8. Riggs also mentioned in the interview that S8E9 would be Carl's final episode, so I'm wondering if that's been shot already.

On 12/11/2017 at 4:35 AM, dmc515 said:

That'd definitely make sense as a Carwl replacement - although one would have to wonder how in an at least ~13 year time jump the society we see in the comics didn't make more, ya know, progress (and, say, there are still "whisperers" out there).

Kirkman is very coy about the time jump in the comics after AOW. My guess is they'll be just as coy in the show. We probably won't get Judith's age, but my guess is in S9 Judith will likely be like Lily in Modern Family--8-11ish and wise beyond her years. I definitely think we'll see the Whisperers in S9, probably the back 8 episodes.

I mean honestly, if he is essentially the "John Conner" of this world, it seems short sighted to do this.

And given the well-known, familial relationships between the cast members, I wonder if this decision doesn't create a rift in the chemistry?

It's been awhile since I've been on the site, so I'm sorry if the Morgan decision has been discussed, but moving his character to FtWD, baffles me as well.

13 hours ago, Alia of the knife said:

...It's been awhile since I've been on the site, so I'm sorry if the Morgan decision has been discussed, but moving his character to FtWD, baffles me as well.

Ditto. I think the move also baffles Lennie James. The worst part about this is now I'm gonna have to actually watch S3 of FTWD so I can be up to speed when James enters for S4.

• 1 month later...

Disclaimer - I stopped watching this show like 4 seasons ago, and just read the occasional episode synopsis. 

My prediction, based on what I read from last season, is that Carl is....immune to the virus. So, he's not turning. What do you all think?

In case you missed it in the FTWD thread, that show is jumping ahead about 3 years.  So when Morgan joins it, it's either mid- or post-All Out War.  My interpretation of the description is that he's on some kind of mission for Rick.  One thing that occurred to me is that he's looking for the origins of virus.  If Carl is immune, that might connect with Morgan's plotline.

If you don't care about spoilers - which I don't because the show is so meh - the Spoiling Dead Fans just posted their Q and A for episode 9.  Pretty sure this is it reposted on reddit:

Spoiler

Carl shoots himself in the burned down church.

Also, it appears Eugene's master "plan" was indeed simply to shoot down all the walkers like I mentioned up thread.  So lame.

I find myself not really interested in the show anymore. Killing off Carl really pissed me off I guess. 

The lawsuits that kirkman and Hurd have against amc are concerning as well. AMC is shady AF, it would appear, and some fans theorize that main characters are being killed off simply because they are Kirkman’s property. So basically Daryl will never die because he’s not one of Kirkmans characters. I can’t see how the show would survive without rick or michonne but I also never thought they’d kill Carl. 

@Alia of the knife I also wonder if Carl’s death has caused strife on set as well. They watched Riggs grow up and if the producers or whoever told him he was signed on for a certain amount of time and then canned him two weeks later - I’d be very uneasy about my own role. I certainly wouldn’t feel secure in my job. Not great for morale. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd give tonight a 6/10. The Carl goodbye was understandably a huge part of the episode, and wasn't too unbearable. It was a little sad, but I'm glad they didn't pull anything out of left field like the thought of the zombie bite was where Carl got shot in the second season therefore he couldn't be infected there, etc. Morgan/Carol/Ezekiel was the good stuff, and carried the episode. 

Was pleased that Morgan didnt compromise and refused to leave a potential future threat roaming, in spite of the foolish noise that Fake Lion King (Ezekiel and Carol as well) were trying to spread. Both the Fake Lion King and Carol (especially Carol) should know better than to embrace these "spare him" moments. They juxtaposed those scenes with the deathbed scenes of Carl. Ironically, Carls final conversations with Rick emphasized this same pacifist bent that the show has demonstrated timeand again, comes back to harm people later. Was dissapointing to see them give Carl those lines on his way out of a world that demands a survival of the fittest, kill or be killed ethos. Surely Carl's conscious could never betray that central fact of their apocalypse, but alas the delusions set in as his life light faded, dimmed, flickered and extinguished.

Lets hope Chandler can go on now and avoid the "former childstar" pitfalls that so many of them succumb to.

26 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Was pleased that Morgan didnt compromise and refused to leave a potential future threat roaming, in spite of the foolish noise that Fake Lion King (Ezekiel and Carol as well) were trying to spread. Both the Fake Lion King and Carol (especially Carol) should know better than to embrace these "spare him" moments.

I dunno.  They have the POW camp at Hilltop, which at least Morgan should know about and Ezekiel would be all for.

28 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ironically, Carls final conversations with Rick emphasized this same pacifist bent that the show has demonstrated timeand again, comes back to harm people later. Was dissapointing to see them give Carl those lines on his way out of a world that demands a survival of the fittest, kill or be killed ethos. Surely Carl's conscious could never betray that central fact of their apocalypse, but alas the delusions set in as his life light faded, dimmed, flickered and extinguished.

Pretty sure you're missing the entire point of Carl's message, which is being gift-wrapped to the viewer with the opening crying-Rick recall about mercy overcoming.  It's not particularly well executed, but the whole theme of this season is demonstrably rejecting a kill or be killed ethos.

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

I dunno.  They have the POW camp at Hilltop, which at least Morgan should know about and Ezekiel would be all for.

Pretty sure you're missing the entire point of Carl's message, which is being gift-wrapped to the viewer with the opening crying-Rick recall about mercy overcoming.  It's not particularly well executed, but the whole theme of this season is demonstrably rejecting a kill or be killed ethos.

It may be the shows theme, I just categorically reject those outlooks in the world they are portraying. I think Daryl is the rational one, he's much less conflicted about what business needs to get done. On the other hand Rick, the preacher, Jesus and various other characters have had several scenes over the seasons where taking pity or having mercy has proven to be dangerous. I dont agree with gambling with your safety in the environment of that world.

I think finding a way to humanity in a fucked up world is kinda the entire point of the series, both comics and TV.  I'd say the annoying part is this is a pretty banal point, and something that's been beat over our head for quite a few seasons.  But I don't disagree with the sentiment.  It's kind of a sad world to live in if you do.

Archived