The Walking Dead: Because Season Ate Nine (Comic Spoiler Thread)

A True Kaniggit

2 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

The zombie grinder was worth it. But not much substance to the episode. 

Zombie grinder was pretty cool.  And they Simon mentioned a helipad to Jadis to finally address Rick seeing that helicopter.  Sure whatever comes of it (if anything) will be lame, but it's interesting to speculate about.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Between the name drops between sections, and the weird zoom-in on the actor's face shots, it reminded me of 80s martial arts movies and of Tarantino.

Yeah I definitely got a wannabe-Tarantino vibe from the direction.

6 hours ago, grozeng said:

My favorite part besides the zombie grinder and helipad was how Negan seemed more upset about Carl than Rick.

Yes, I felt actual emotion (certainly not much) about Carl because of Negan. Not sure if that was the goal but the shit show with rick was a waste of time. 

Edit - I am watching the Talking Dead and Kirkman is on saying that he’s ok with Carl’s death and that the change is exciting. Wut? 

7 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Yes, I felt actual emotion (certainly not much) about Carl because of Negan. Not sure if that was the goal but the shit show with rick was a waste of time. 

Edit - I am watching the Talking Dead and Kirkman is on saying that he’s ok with Carl’s death and that the change is exciting. Wut? 

What did you think he's going to say it was stupid? He's a producer of the show, no?

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

What did you think he's going to say....

"I've always maintained that The Walking Dead is Carl's story. But it dawned on everyone, some time ago, that Chandler Riggs couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. So the show went in a different direction."

12 hours ago, Slurktan said:

What did you think he's going to say it was stupid? He's a producer of the show, no?

Actually I wasn’t aware that he was still involved in the writing/producing of the show until yesterday. I’ve read that he had some big disagreements with the way the show is going as well as having a lawsuit currently underway with AMC. I was surprised to see him on the talk show since he really hasn’t been on in a while. Whatever the case, if he’s still producing he needs to fix the mess they’ve made. 

10 hours ago, Spockydog said:

"I've always maintained that The Walking Dead is Carl's story. But it dawned on everyone, some time ago, that Chandler Riggs couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag. So the show went in a different direction."

That woulda been pretty awkward with Riggs sitting three feet away.  ETA:  Whoops, nevermind, got my Talking Dead's mixed up.

59 minutes ago, Lady Olenna said:

I’ve read that he had some big disagreements with the way the show is going as well as having a lawsuit currently underway with AMC.

I don't think the lawsuit is too relevant to his involvement.  Gale Anne Hurd is a co-plaintiff and I believe she's still a producer on the show - not to mention previous disputes among the producers of Mad Men and Breaking Bad never led to the their ouster.  Anyway, I don't really have anything to base this on, but I get the impression Kirkman's been happier with the show since Gimple took over as he tends to follow the comics more closely (of course, until killing off Carl).

On 2/15/2018 at 8:08 PM, Lady Olenna said:

I find myself not really interested in the show anymore. Killing off Carl really pissed me off I guess. 

The lawsuits that kirkman and Hurd have against amc are concerning as well. AMC is shady AF, it would appear, and some fans theorize that main characters are being killed off simply because they are Kirkman’s property. So basically Daryl will never die because he’s not one of Kirkmans characters. I can’t see how the show would survive without rick or michonne but I also never thought they’d kill Carl. 

@Alia of the knife I also wonder if Carl’s death has caused strife on set as well. They watched Riggs grow up and if the producers or whoever told him he was signed on for a certain amount of time and then canned him two weeks later - I’d be very uneasy about my own role. I certainly wouldn’t feel secure in my job. Not great for morale. 

They have always seemed a close cast, so I have to think that at least privately, they aren't happy about this. Is there something to his turning eighteen that maybe that also have to pay him more?

13 minutes ago, The Number 10 said:

With the way that Rick treated Jadis.......could he have just  inadvertently made the leader of the Whisperers?

Interesting idea, but Alpha having a daughter was a pretty big part of the character in the comics. So I’d say probably not. 

I am not a comic reader and have avoided this thread for years to stay away from spoilers, now I don't really care since the show quality is dropping so much. I do have a question, how far away is the show from catching the comics time wise? Season 8 of show is X years of comics away??? Just wondering.

As to the whole Carl thing, yeah I think they have to kill of a main person once in a while, can't have them all magically live in a world of nothing but death. As to the Rick and Negan scene and someone saying Negan seemed to care more, I think it's because he is simply a better actor.

Personally I am at a point where I think I would have liked the show more if Negan had won the war and killed Rick and a few more top people and the show went forward with the saviors being the focus and the remainder Ricks' group attacking them from time to time. At least it would feel fresh and more realistic. Bare in mind this comes from a show only person.

Archived