The Walking Dead: Because Season Ate Nine (Comic Spoiler Thread)

A True Kaniggit

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I am not a comic reader and have avoided this thread for years to stay away from spoilers, now I don't really care since the show quality is dropping so much. I do have a question, how far away is the show from catching the comics time wise? Season 8 of show is X years of comics away??? Just wondering.

After the war with Negan the comics jump ahead a couple years. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I am not a comic reader and have avoided this thread for years to stay away from spoilers, now I don't really care since the show quality is dropping so much. I do have a question, how far away is the show from catching the comics time wise? Season 8 of show is X years of comics away??? Just wondering.

As Nictarion said, there's a time jump, but that's already been suggested in the show, right?  (Even if it was just technically Carl's dreams.)  After All Out War, things go slowly for a bit, then there's the Whisperers.  After they were defeated, there's some infighting (the Saviors are restless), there's a very important death in the comics that cannot exactly be replicated in the show, and now Eugene ended up finding a much (much) larger community called the Commonwealth - with a heart-wrenching reunion in last month's issue.  By my estimation, they could get through the Whisperers and perhaps even to the Commonwealth by the end of next season - especially now that Carl's gone - although I expect they'll take another two seasons for the Whisperers and everything before and after.

S8E10:

Damnit. I actually like Jadis now. Oh Simon, you're so fucked. I'm beginning to think they might kill Negan in the show. Or at least they're trying to make us think it's possible. I hope they don't; the comic gave him such a great story post-AOW. 

On 2/26/2018 at 7:44 AM, Gronzag said:

I can't wait to see the ratings. 

The S8 mid-season premiere (S8E9) was the highest rated show on TV for that night. Its closest competition was Talking Dead. TWD is still a hit show. Is S8 as good as past seasons? Nah, not in most people's opinion. But ratings in general are down for TV & Cable. The Internet has changed that permanently. To compare TDW's ratings to 8 years ago is like not adjusting for inflation when talking about box office receipts for films--it's an inaccurate portrayal of the facts.

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I'm beginning to think they might kill Negan in the show. Or at least they're trying to make us think it's possible. I hope they don't; the comic gave him such a great story post-AOW. 

I think the show will kill Negan simply because Jeffrey Dean Morgan knows sticking around is a bad career move.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 10:27 PM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I'm beginning to think they might kill Negan in the show. Or at least they're trying to make us think it's possible. I hope they don't; the comic gave him such a great story post-AOW.

I haven't read much past AOW, but so I don't know how plausible it is, but is it something that could be grafted onto another character like Dwight?

In regard to the last couple of episodes.

For 8 seasons we are repeatedly shown the characters shambling through a dangerous post apocalyptic world filled with sharp objects and opportunities for scraped knees and we've seen those characters positively doused in walker blood - on several occasions even doing so on purpose.  And we are now being asked to believe that getting walker blood in a scratch or a cut will make you turn?  WTF.  Every single character on the show should be dead at this point if this were the case.  How many times have we seen the characters banged up with open wounds / battling walkers at the same time?  Until the Saviors deliberately try to infect a few people in this season nobody on the show has ever inadvertently become infected due to exposure to exposure to walker blood in an open would or getting it into the eyes / mouth.  It seemed pretty firmly established up to this point that you had to be specifically bitten in order to turn.  

8 minutes ago, S John said:

For 8 seasons we are repeatedly shown the characters shambling through a dangerous post apocalyptic world filled with sharp objects and opportunities for scraped knees and we've seen those characters positively doused in walker blood - on several occasions even doing so on purpose.  And we are now being asked to believe that getting walker blood in a scratch or a cut will make you turn?  WTF.  Every single character on the show should be dead at this point if this were the case.  How many times have we seen the characters banged up with open wounds / battling walkers at the same time?  Until the Saviors deliberately try to infect a few people in this season nobody on the show has ever inadvertently become infected due to exposure to exposure to walker blood in an open would or getting it into the eyes / mouth.  It seemed pretty firmly established up to this point that you had to be specifically bitten in order to turn.  

Yes, in the context of the show's logic. This makes zero sense.

When Negan came up with it's walker blood on their weapons, I thought I was a shit idea. We had Carl, who's been bitten and lived for a couple of days before the fever really took, but here we have people getting lightly cut with an ''infected'' blade turning insied a couple of hours... I'm sorry, but it's not like it's the first time in 8 seasons people received walker blood on them, on their face (their eyes, their mouths) but now the show decided it could turn you just like that.

No sentry, no guards to look at the prisonners. No one wakes up from hearing a walker falling down the damn stairs. The Saviours walking straight to an house with the lights out when it's obvious it's a trap ? WTF is that ?! SOOOOO tired of Tara and Daryl talking about killing/not killing Dwight.

2 hours ago, S John said:

I've gotta be like two seasons behind by now but I thought on the show everyone was already infected? Wasn't that a big dramatic reveal at some point? 

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I've gotta be like two seasons behind by now but I thought on the show everyone was already infected? Wasn't that a big dramatic reveal at some point? 

Correct, everyone turns when they die (as far as we know), but people don't get the active infection unless they are bitten.  That's been the way it's been handled up to this point. 

However, in recent episodes the Saviors decide to coat their edged weapons in walker blood before an attack.  This causes a few people who were wounded in the fighting, but not killed, to turn in a matter of hours.  Like @Lord of Oop North says this doesn't make any sense within the logic the show has set up.  For 8 seasons you're asked to buy into the idea that the active strain of zombie virus can only be transmitted via bite and not through contact with walker blood / saliva, or even just proximity.  It's a really glaring departure to me that it can be transmitted through contact with blood, because over the years of watching this show I have always been super aware that these people have cuts all over them and they're always in hand to hand combat with infected zombies and running around screaming with open mouths as all this infected blood and guts goes flying around - so therefore the only way to get the active version of the strain must be to be bitten.  But now they're saying, if you get walker blood in a cut, that's it for you.  Since they threw the 'bite only' logic out the window it now makes zero sense that every single living character on the show is not dead a hundred times over.  

I’m not sure its that much of a departure, really.  Given that everyone is already infected with the zombie virus, the dangers from bites and scratches, etc is really just about standard infection risks.  I don’t recall that we got a good sense of how serious the wounds sustained by the Hilltop people were.  It seemed like Carols friend was stabbed pretty good, though.  Worse than “cuts and scratches”, at least.  So maybe generally superficial cuts and abrasions don’t allow the infectious components of zombie blood deep enough into the victims blood stream to allow the infection to take hold, whereas deep stabs or arrow punctures do?  I’m mean, is it really such a glaring departure to think that “a skinned knee” that gets some gore on it is not necessarily the death sentence that a stab to the gut with a blood coated knife would be?  

Also, the ingesting of blood and gore is really a non-issue.  Substances can have drastically differing health effects depending on how they enter the body.  Snake venom being a classic example of something that is virtually harmless* when ingested, but potentially lethal if entered into the blood stream.     . 

*assuming no open sores/bleeding ulcers etc in the mouth/digestive tract.

I had mixed feelings about the latest episode as well. On one hand I liked that they didn't drag out the Simon rampage over two episodes. He had a plan and just did it. And there was a pretty good battle with losses on both sides. They kept the episode focused on one location for the most part and it felt better to me.

Then on to the dumb shit. The Saviors walking toward the dark building that has every window open. Maggie/Rick and co. know that if you die you turn, and yet let the severely injured be around others with no guards, that's not something they would do. The walker falling down a long ass flight of stairs and no one hearing it. In this world where you would be so paranoid and any little noise would wake you.  The kid opening the pen and no one being there to guard them. He could have shot them without opening it at all.

As to the blood thing. It does seem a bit far fetched but again, with this "disease" it has been shown that a bite is an issue, assuming that is because the bite introduces the disease to the blood stream and not just on outer layers of skin, then it makes sense why this would work. They also made sure to show clocks over and over, letting us see that hours had passed. In the WD world some people turn in less than an hour, shown in detail on Fear The Walking Dead, so again stretching it, but it does jive.

It really seems like the characters were acting dumber than usual on last night's episode. We got the return of stealth zombies, shuffling around the mansion in a world where everyone should be sleeping with one eye open. It's ridiculous that NO ONE was on guard in the mansion. Henry, a child, was able to grab an assaut rifle which seemed to be just lying around. But the dumbest shit was him stepping inside the prison when he could've just aimed from outside the fence.

It's time for Carol to make Henry look at the flowers.

After seven and a half seasons I finally quit the week by week thing for The Walking Dead. And I'm still going to watch it? Yeah. Just when the whole season is released on Netflix. 

Edit: The final straw for me was that two weeks prior to the mid season premier I saw a commercial for The Walking Dead on AMC subtitled : Carl's Journey Ends.

Did everyone already know that Carl was probably gonna die? Well yeah. But god damn AMC, you weren't even pretending to try to keep it a secret. 

TWD S8E15

Honestly, even though there was a pretty big battle, this still somehow felt like a filler episode. Not nearly enough Jesus & Michonne during that battle. I also felt like Jesus (or someone form Hilltop) should've taken the keys outta the trucks so the Saviors couldn't escape. Dwight also should've murked Simon with that arrow. My guess is Dwight's arrows weren't still tainted, so Tara isn't infected. (It was her he shot, right?) Sadiq is kind of a shit doctor if he didn't see the infection coming on before they turned, no? There must be some heavy ass sleepers in Hilltop.

This whole Jadis having Negan is throwing a possibly interesting twist into the plot that wasn't in the comics. Have to see where it goes to know for sure though.

12 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I haven't read much past AOW, but so I don't know how plausible it is, but is it something that could be grafted onto another character like Dwight?

Not really. In the comics post-AOW Rick imprisons Negan (causing static with Maggie "The Widow" Rhee--ugh, I cringed when she said that out loud in the latest episode) and they time-jump in the comics to that "vision" Carl had in the show about the future where Rick walks with a cane and has a long beard. Negan is roaming about in Carl's vision on the show, but that's not the case in the comics. In the comic Negan is jailed for a long time and tries hard to win over Rick's trust, which he eventually does. Negan is then a key element in defeating the next group of fucked up humans Rick's community must face--the Whisperers. *dunh-dunh-dunnnnh*

On 3/26/2018 at 3:50 PM, S John said:

Correct, everyone turns when they die (as far as we know), but people don't get the active infection unless they are bitten.  That's been the way it's been handled up to this point. 

However, in recent episodes the Saviors decide to coat their edged weapons in walker blood before an attack.  This causes a few people who were wounded in the fighting, but not killed, to turn in a matter of hours.  Like @Lord of Oop North says this doesn't make any sense within the logic the show has set up.  For 8 seasons you're asked to buy into the idea that the active strain of zombie virus can only be transmitted via bite and not through contact with walker blood / saliva, or even just proximity.  It's a really glaring departure to me that it can be transmitted through contact with blood, because over the years of watching this show I have always been super aware that these people have cuts all over them and they're always in hand to hand combat with infected zombies and running around screaming with open mouths as all this infected blood and guts goes flying around - so therefore the only way to get the active version of the strain must be to be bitten.  But now they're saying, if you get walker blood in a cut, that's it for you.  Since they threw the 'bite only' logic out the window it now makes zero sense that every single living character on the show is not dead a hundred times over.  

Umm I'm pretty sure you are wrong with how the "Active virus" is transmitted.  It isn't.  What kills you from a walker bite/blood on knife is infection. Then you rise as a zombie because everyone is already a zombie waiting to happen.

Archived