The Walking Dead: Because Season Ate Nine (Comic Spoiler Thread)

A True Kaniggit

So the only decent actor apart from JDM is leaving the show.  Are they going to promote Reedus to the lead role to grunt his way through the scenes, he has about as much acting ability as the average walker.

4 minutes ago, dooog said:

So the only decent actor apart from JDM is leaving the show.  Are they going to promote Reedus to the lead role to grunt his way through the scenes, he has about as much acting ability as the average walker.

Seth Gilliam is a good actor (see The Wire). But Father Gabriel is obviously not going to carry the show. :P

I also like Melissa McBride, Danai Gurira, and Josh McDermott.  I don't think Lincoln was especially better than most of the cast, really.  But no, I don't see Daryl nor Reedus as the lead working.  Both are one-dimensional.  Since the Merle/Daryl storyline (in which he got to play off Rooker), the only heavy lifting the character has done was in that episode centered around him and Beth when they get drunk and burn down that cabin, which stands out as one of the worst episodes of the series.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 8:47 PM, dooog said:

Agreed Reedus is overrated, but disagree JDM & Lincoln are the only decent actors on the show. It's a solid cast.

3 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Agreed Reedus is overrated, but disagree JDM & Lincoln are the only decent actors on the show. It's a solid cast.

I think the script and direction is more to blame than the overall quality of actors.

Does anyone know whether the skew of departures is due to failed contract renegotiations? Given how infamous this show is for being stingy I imagine they'd rather let stars leave than pay them more? The problem with a show with such a high turnover rate is that it knows it can sacrifice characters/actors. Even if the main cast pulled a "friends" and insisted on a raise for all of them or they walk, the show could probably risk letting them going and having a season finale massacre.

It vaguely reminds me of "sliders" when it reaches a point where none of the original cast remained by which stage you questioned what the point was anymore. Walking dead is hitting a similar problem in the sense no one who started out in the show remains alive and I'm left wondering what's the point.

Well, do we know if they are really leaving or could this just be a negotiating tactic?

And realistically, in the WD world, most people do die. Not realistic for a lot of people to live for 8 seasons while everyone else dies around them. Maybe this will kill the show for good, or lead it into a new path that brings it back?

• 4 weeks later...

A "poster" came out for the new season today and there are a few interesting items on it. It appears set in Washington DC, and there is a helicopter in the air, assuming it's the one Jadis was calling in? 

• 2 weeks later...

So word is Rick, michonne and Maggie are all jumping the sinking ship.  I’m so confused as to why AMC did this and why they were so dang cheap with their budget. I’m even more confused by Kirkman working on another project with Gimple. 

Poor Heath never got any closure. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Michonne too? They’re really overestimating Daryl being able to carry the show. I’ll finally be calling it quits once Lincoln is done. 

To be fair it would make sense to get rid of Michonne if they get rid of Rick.  They are kind of tied together.  I could also see that being the impetus for Rick being killed by whatever means because Michonne (and possibly Judith) get killed first.

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Michonne too? They’re really overestimating Daryl being able to carry the show. I’ll finally be calling it quits once Lincoln is done. 

Actually I bet they're counting on Jeffrey Dean Morgan to carry the show as some kinda semi-redeemed anti-hero. A necessary evil the characters have to accept to survive the threat of whatever new enemy that was tough enough to kill Rick. 

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Actually I bet they're counting on Jeffrey Dean Morgan to carry the show as some kinda semi-redeemed anti-hero. A necessary evil the characters have to accept to survive the threat of whatever new enemy that was tough enough to kill Rick. 

The best parts with Negan in the comics are his interactions with Rick and Carl. Especially Negan’s one sided bromance with Rick. As good as JDM is I just wonder if people will be invested in him enough to really care once most of the early seasons cast is gone. 

Any chance he leaves the show without dying? I thought I saw something recently saying he wasn't necessarily being killed off. To me that would be just as bad as Maggie/Darryl killing him. I'd be happy if they went ahead and ended the series this season. Maybe they will have Rick die jumping a shark on horseback while wearing his sheriff hat? IMO they missed their oppotunity to save the series by not having Negan win the war. Him winning that war could have altered the whole outlook on the next few seasons and gotten people enthused again. Or it would have ended viewership immediately!

I doubt they'll end the show without ensuring the future of the "franchise." Merging the two shows seems like a smarter move. or at least something they should try before cancelling either series. The remaining Walking dead protagonists being the bad guys in the final season of Fear could be good tv.

Does anyone know if Andrew Lincoln is supposed to be in the whole season or if he's supposed to be departing before the finale?  I think a great midseason finale moment would be 

Spoiler

Let's say they introduce Alpha and the Whisperers some time around episode 4.  Or some equivalent group made for the show.  They cause some problems and demonstrate that they pose a significant threat.  Rick goes to negotiate with them and becomes their prisoner kind of like what happened in the comics.  The mid season finale ends with us as the audience thinking the whisperers are letting Rick go, he walks away from their base into a field and in the distance sees people coming to receive him.  They get closer and we see they're all people who have died (Carl, Shane, Lori, Dale, Andrea, etc).  The next shot is the living group approaching the whisperer's base and mounted onto the top of the border fence post is one head:  Rick's.  

On 7/25/2018 at 12:44 AM, RumHam said:

I doubt they'll end the show without ensuring the future of the "franchise." Merging the two shows seems like a smarter move. or at least something they should try before cancelling either series. The remaining Walking dead protagonists being the bad guys in the final season of Fear could be good tv.

This sounds like a good move, similar to what Negan was saying, that his group are the good guys and Rick just doesn't see it.

On 7/25/2018 at 1:04 PM, YoungGriff89 said:

Does anyone know if Andrew Lincoln is supposed to be in the whole season or if he's supposed to be departing before the finale?  I think a great midseason finale moment would be 

Hide contents

Let's say they introduce Alpha and the Whisperers some time around episode 4.  Or some equivalent group made for the show.  They cause some problems and demonstrate that they pose a significant threat.  Rick goes to negotiate with them and becomes their prisoner kind of like what happened in the comics.  The mid season finale ends with us as the audience thinking the whisperers are letting Rick go, he walks away from their base into a field and in the distance sees people coming to receive him.  They get closer and we see they're all people who have died (Carl, Shane, Lori, Dale, Andrea, etc).  The next shot is the living group approaching the whisperer's base and mounted onto the top of the border fence post is one head:  Rick's.  

Interviews says he is in half the season. Also says Maggie is in less than that.  Doesn't say they are dying though, they seem to keep saying that over and over, so...they are probably dying?

Archived