The Walking Dead: Because Season Ate Nine (Comic Spoiler Thread)

A True Kaniggit

9 hours ago, Isis said:

I actually quite liked all the dream sequence type scenes as they reminded me of The Sopranos, except that they were a bit more literal and a bit less surreal. But you know, Rick was/is the show so I guess he deserves a whole episode devoted to his 'end'. 

Also going back a bit - I really like Michonne's montage of being all mumsy by day and then slashing up zombies by night. Tbh I feel cheated if I don't get some of this type of content in a show about zombies.

I resisted watching this season as I felt a bit fatigued with the whole thing. But the spoiler risk was getting a bit much and I caved in and watched it all while I was working at home today.

The part with Negan and Maggie sucked. Bit of a let down.

But I quite liked Judith, mini sheriff. :)

I didn't mind the dream sequences I just questioned the inclusion of Sascha over Glen as someone he'd hallucinate about. Shane and Herschel made sense to me but Sascha still feels more like a "she's the lead in star trek" than "she was a really important person to him". Maybe the actors are good friends though? Also a missed opportunity to bring back T-Dogg - he could have at least been blending into the background of a dream sequence. Maybe he was and he is now so good at it it's "haunting of hill house" hard to spot :)

i also have to give credit where due when the TV show does something better than the comics. The time jumps in the TV show make the whisperers far more plausible to me. The idea in the comic is great but I felt that 2-3 years was far too soon for such a society to form. The TV show is about 8-9 years which works better for me.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

I didn't mind the dream sequences I just questioned the inclusion of Sascha over Glen as someone he'd hallucinate about. Shane and Herschel made sense to me but Sascha still feels more like a "she's the lead in star trek" than "she was a really important person to him". Maybe the actors are good friends though? Also a missed opportunity to bring back T-Dogg - he could have at least been blending into the background of a dream sequence. Maybe he was and he is now so good at it it's "haunting of hill house" hard to spot :)

I think it all smacked of "which actors are available"....

I guess the new show runner has tried to ditch as much baggage as possible. In terms of jumping on point it's good so they have to hope more people do that than jump off. My feeling is that a lot of people will have seen rick's departure as a natural stopping point. Besides Darryl and carol no-one from the original season (and certainly not the original episode) are in the show anymore. It's almost like "fear" spin-off levels.

I'm relieved they didn't turn Darryl into a leader so I'm curious as to how they make him the show's lead otherwise. It's not impossible (wolverine was usually the lead but not leader in the comics and Burnham isn't captain in star trek) but challenging with the character as he was.

Do not mock carol's hair or she will burn you!

I'm very worried about Judith. They seem to be trying to hang a hell of a lot from a kid actor and already I'm thinking they are expecting too much -especially when they give her lines that a wise old man/woman would deliver but in a cutesy twee voice. There's a real danger of them simply repeating the problems with Carl.

Who is the other toddler running around michonne's house? 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I guess the new show runner has tried to ditch as much baggage as possible. In terms of jumping on point it's good so they have to hope more people do that than jump off. My feeling is that a lot of people will have seen rick's departure as a natural stopping point. Besides Darryl and carol no-one from the original season (and certainly not the original episode) are in the show anymore. It's almost like "fear" spin-off levels.

I'm relieved they didn't turn Darryl into a leader so I'm curious as to how they make him the show's lead otherwise. It's not impossible (wolverine was usually the lead but not leader in the comics and Burnham isn't captain in star trek) but challenging with the character as he was.

Do not mock carol's hair or she will burn you!

I'm very worried about Judith. They seem to be trying to hang a hell of a lot from a kid actor and already I'm thinking they are expecting too much -especially when they give her lines that a wise old man/woman would deliver but in a cutesy twee voice. There's a real danger of them simply repeating the problems with Carl.

Who is the other toddler running around michonne's house? 

R.J, Rick and Michonnes' son, Rick Jr.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

R.J, Rick and Michonnes' son, Rick Jr.

I'm shit at judging kids ages as he looked a lot younger than 5 to me which is why I discounted the obvious choice of him being Rick and michonne's kid.

Hopefully the films will explain why Rick is taking so long to get back.

I don't watch "fear" but I wonder whether they will catch up? I heard they had pretty much caught up with walking dead prior to the jump

Edit: found this link. http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/the-walking-dead/feature/a870165/the-walking-dead-timeline/

That second year actually makes it more plausible why they killed those saviours in their sleep given all the bad encounters they'd had within a few months

55 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

They will probably go with the easiest solution: amnesia. Then if they want to bring Rick back to TWD, he will miraculously regain his memories.

The sad thing is the people involved in this show probably will go the amnesia route

IDK, they could just as easily have him choose to stay away. He was seeing that his way wasn't working, saviors weren't cooperating, Hilltop was not happy with Alexandria etc. He knows Judith isn't his and Michonne and him seemed distant. Not saying they will do it this way but the groundwork is there.

Another route would be the chopper group tells him he can't go back now that he knows about them or they will kill them all. The fact that they have working helicopter and good medical supplies seems to show they are formidable to say the least.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:19 AM, dbunting said:

IDK, they could just as easily have him choose to stay away. He was seeing that his way wasn't working, saviors weren't cooperating, Hilltop was not happy with Alexandria etc. He knows Judith isn't his and Michonne and him seemed distant. Not saying they will do it this way but the groundwork is there.

Another route would be the chopper group tells him he can't go back now that he knows about them or they will kill them all. The fact that they have working helicopter and good medical supplies seems to show they are formidable to say the least.

It would seem a dick move if Rick decided Judith was never is and michonne isn't worth it. Even moreso it turns out he knew michonne was pregnant.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:20 AM, HokieStone said:

So...all that build up for Rick...and poor Maggie is written out of the show off-screen.

On 11/19/2018 at 1:19 PM, DMC said:

They're gonna try to bring Maggie back next season.

It looks like they want to bring ruck back too so it's strange they did things this way with Maggie. From what I was reading they wouldn't give Cohan more money and I presume the new show pays her more money. She's only returning if the new show fails and she returns without a payrise (walking dead is notoriously tight). That said I get the impression there's more to her departure. It also seems like there was a fallout between her and michonne.

I have to be honest and stay I'm mildly enjoying the show. There's nothing in it actively pissing me off and I've yet to endure any of their "focus on 1 group/character for a whole episode and then another group next episode" routine which is what killed the show previously for me. So far not much is happening but they are checking in with everyone at least.

My husband has kept up and said he likes the new show runner stuff. I still can’t watch it. I was so tired of all the ridiculous rick dying build up I could have barfed. I read through this thread to keep updated but I think it will be a long while before I catch up with the show. I’ve never had a tv show irritate me to the point that it’s personal :lol: 

Thought that was the best episode of walking dead I’ve seen in a couple seasons. Enjoyed the scenes with Daryl, Aaron and Jesus tracking the walkers and finding Eugene. Awesome set design in the cemetery. Ahhh and damn Jesus going down was gut wrenching. Had a bad feeling about it when he stayed back. The way he lazily went to end the last walker was reminiscent of Heath ledger’s character in the patriot going for the final kill on Jason Isaac, and the viper taunting the mountain before his demise. Just shows that small moment of underestimating their adversary and paying the ultimate price for it.

Also excited to see Negan get out. Great ep. 

Man I have to say I am loving this season. IMO best since like S1/2.  Hell i even love the opening credit scene. The tracking was great, our guys observing the herd in wonder was good and then having the whisperers attack in the fog in the cemetery was a great choice.

I wish they had delayed the human reveal until after the midseason break though. To me the only weak part was the typical teen rebellion scene. 

Liked the stuff with Daryl, Jesus and Aaron - hate to see Jesus go.  I mean, I figured some deaths were coming since they added a bunch of new people...but I wish it had been someone else.  And the spooky cemetery scene is a reminder that it's supposed to be a horror show.

I really hope we get the whole backstory on the issues between Hilltop and Alexandria soon.  Michonne's stance seems pretty dumb on the face of things - so I hope there's a good reason.

Really don't like the teen angst stuff.  Only kind of neat part was how Henry jumped down and dispatched the walker even while drunk, and it was obvious those other kids wouldn't have known how to do that.  Also painfully obvious that they're building up to a romance with the one girl of the group.

Negan escaping was dumb writing.  They successfully keep him locked up for 6 years...and someone forgets to lock the cell?  I would think there would be a guard in there full time in any case.

Talking dead gave an awkward shout out to Lauren Cohan..."Oh...uh...yeah, that was Maggie's last episode.  We hope to have her back on at some point..."

Seems like Tom Payne was pretty okay with being killed off the show. To sum it up, appears he told the writers that if they can’t find something exciting for his character to do they should just kill him off since there’s so many characters. I respect his candor. Also can’t blame him. I think Jesus has to be one of the most under utilized interesting characters on the show. Lot of untapped potential there. Had a cool death scene though.

15 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Seems like Tom Payne was pretty okay with being killed off the show. To sum it up, appears he told the writers that if they can’t find something exciting for his character to do they should just kill him off since there’s so many characters. I respect his candor. Also can’t blame him. I think Jesus has to be one of the most under utilized interesting characters on the show. Lot of untapped potential there. Had a cool death scene though.

I think it happened like you said. On The Talking Dead, he put out this whole story about getting the call from Angela Kang and being at least mildly surprised about it blah blah blah blah blah. No, I think he pushed for them to write him out because in that scene, it was frankly a bit odd for him to stay back the way he did. It seemed a little bit forced in my opinion. And the only dramatic purpose his death served was to give the Whisperer dude a chance to bob and weave and thereby reveal that he was more than just some walker. But they could have found a red shirt for that or just done something different. 

Anyway, it just kind of annoys me that Gimple wasted this actor's talents for what, 3 seasons or something? 

Archived