The Walking Dead: Because Season Ate Nine (Comic Spoiler Thread)

A True Kaniggit

On 11/12/2017 at 9:01 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Fucking Dammit these Assholes killed Sheba!!

It's Shiva. Just sayin'. Also, if you haven't seen the film Michael Clayton, I highly recommend it. ;)

On 11/12/2017 at 9:27 PM, Corvinus said:

This was like when then killed Summer in GoT. Damn these people and their need to slash CGI budget. And I guess the only thing this show was missing was a stupid car chase. Now it is complete.

In other matters, bullets are not only finite when they need to be finite, and infinite otherwise, but they also work only when they need to work, and don't when they don't need to. It took forever for someone to shatter the windows of that truck Carol was huddling behind, but the most egregious moment was when the machine gun that had ripped giant holes in people's bodies couldn't do more than bust the radiator on Rick's jeep. Another moment of when Rick should have died.

I 100% agree that there were a lot of moments that took me out of this episode, and you mentioned many of them: poor CGI as they fired on that truck Carol hid behind, Rick's invincible Jeep (are they a sponsor?), and the small number of walkers that took down the mighty Shiva. I watched the behind the scenes video on AMC, and it seems this episode had a first time director, so maybe that accounts for some of those flaws.

I'll also say I feel like Melissa McBride phoned in the performance this week. She just seemed bored or distant the whole episode. Or maybe she was playing it that way intentionally, and Carol being a badass and saving the day is just another day at the office for her? Either way, Carol just wasn't poppin' on screen for me like she should've.

Khary Payton carried this episode with his performance of King Ezekiel though. He was the best thing about this week's episode. Oh, and Jerry. Jerry was also awesome this week.

Pretty good episode the other night. Nice to see Ezekiel break out of his character's character. Going forward I think you'll see him abandon that persona permanently, which I'm okay with. There's a human underneath the costume there and I think we're gonna get to see it. 

Felt bad for Shiva. I thought the beast went down rather easily, no? Kinda just melted to the ground and let the zombies eat it. Oh well. Glad it didn't turn into some impenetrable man-eating force that couldn't be defeated.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I must be missing something, whats the "Michael Clayton" relationship to this?

The ending of that film is one of the best endings to a film ever. Top 20 easily, maybe even Top 10. And the key line in that scene is a call back from earlier in the film where Clooney says, "I am Shiva, god of death." (I looked for  clip of just that line, but I couldn't find one. I could only find the entire end scene, which is as major a spoiler as you can get, like 6th Sense level.)

I feel like I've spent most of this series either wondering or not really caring what is going on. I find it almost impossible to watch it without doing something else at the same time.

I also agree that Carol was a bit blah in that episode. She didn't exactly 'emote' at any point. Sad because I usually enjoy her character.

Okay so I'm slacking on my Hindu pantheon knowledge.

Heres some Shiva background from Wiki for future reference- 

Wikipedia › wiki › Shiva
Shiva is one of the principal deities of Hinduism. He is the Supreme Being within Shaivism, one of the major traditions within .... Shiva is known by many names such Viswanatha (lord of the universe), Mahadeva ...

15 hours ago, Isis said:

I feel like I've spent most of this series either wondering or not really caring what is going on. I find it almost impossible to watch it without doing something else at the same time.

I also agree that Carol was a bit blah in that episode. She didn't exactly 'emote' at any point. Sad because I usually enjoy her character.

I find it's a good cure for insomnia too. But I know how you mean about trying to do anything other than actually pay attention to what's happening on the screen.

It's weird considering how they opened with actual fighting/action how it's still unwatchable. I guess story and pacing still mean something.

Pretty boring episode imo. I've been waiting for the Negan background episode since he entered the show. Gotta say I was underwhelmed. Found out in a short scene that he was once married, his wife was terminally ill, he wasn't present, and didn't have it in him to mercy kill her. Eh, I was expecting something more than that. For an episode that spanned longer than the normal 60 minutes, they really accomplished nothing.

Rick is going alone to the Scavengers to threaten/treat with them. Rick is sooo smart, SMRT!!! smart!

Daryl might have to be kicked out of the community. At least any sensible person would do so, when someone decides to go murderous maverick, and ends up losing the precious cache of machine guns and explosives.

Negan & Gabriel, the new kick-ass team of the walker world! I think I would have preferred watching an episode just with them fighting through walkers, than all the stuff we got this episode.

I quite like the attempts at 'clever' nonlinear storytelling where they jump around and go back to show what was happening just before a scene we've already seen. It's just a shame that the pay off is so feeble. 

I just don't think the Show is as gripping when you expand its scale as it has since they arrived in Alexandria. The days at the farm remain the best part of the series for me. The tension and fear when Rick encountered just two outsiders (Dave and Tony) still stays with me to this day, and far exceeds the feelings generated when they encountered larger groups like the Governor, the Wolves or the Saviours.

The best format for me remains to stick with a small group of core characters facing individual level challenges, rather than the weak attempts at political intrigue and grand strategy that the Showrunners are so miserably failing to execute at the moment.

Seeing 50 nameless and vaguely familiar folk from the Kingdom, Hilltop and company engage in a firefight with 30 Saviour redshirts is not nearly as gripping as Rick's lone shootout with Dave and Tony in the bar.

By going bigger, the Show has become shallower. Sadly. I don't think people want more explosions and bigger battles. Rather give us better writing and a more gripping story, even if it focuses on 5 times fewer characters.

On 11/20/2017 at 10:36 AM, Corvinus said:

Daryl might have to be kicked out of the community. At least any sensible person would do so, when someone decides to go murderous maverick, and ends up losing the precious cache of machine guns and explosives.

Nah.  Sasha and Rosita went all rogue last season, and the latter is still chilling in Alexandria.  Plus, Daryl has carte blanche, like Sawyer.  The extent of Rick's admonishment is totally going to be the illegal use of a chokehold.  Would you expect anything different on this show?  Not to mention, his disagreement essentially parallels Morgan's, whom hopefully we see again.

So Morgan is the character crossing over to Fear.  That makes sense in that I figured he'd die this season because they don't really know what to do with the character at this point, but I'm not sure how a new setting/characters is going to change that.  Of course, there's the timeline issues so I suppose we may get "need to clear" or Ghandhi Morgan (if so, that seems to be an inordinate amount of traveling to then get to Alexandria - they're filming Fear in Austin).

53 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

So Morgan is the character crossing over to Fear.  That makes sense in that I figured he'd die this season because they don't really know what to do with the character at this point, but I'm not sure how a new setting/characters is going to change that.  Of course, there's the timeline issues so I suppose we may get "need to clear" or Ghandhi Morgan (if so, that seems to be an inordinate amount of traveling to then get to Alexandria - they're filming Fear in Austin).

I only watched the first season of Fear, so help me out. Where and when did that show leave off? I thought it was a prequel so I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

I only watched the first season of Fear, so help me out. Where and when did that show leave off? I thought it was a prequel so I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense.

Yeah I gave up on Fear at the end of the first season as well (although have read good things about this past season).  Kirkman said in July that Fear the Walking Dead takes place roughly around the time of season 1 and beginning of season 2 in The Walking Dead.”  There also was apparently a mention of heading to Houston in the Season 3 finale of Fear which had fans speculating Abraham would be the crossover character.  

Thinking about it, if that's the case then we would in all likelihood see crazy Morgan as I believe the "I need to clear" episode was in the third season.  Why he would be traveling back and forth so much, however, would...strain credulity.  So I tend to think they're doing a time jump.  That seems to be suggested by Gimple's statement on the move, or at least my interpretation of it:

“Even though Morgan is going to be featured on Fear, he still has a lot of story left on The Walking Dead. Morgan’s arc on The Walking Dead season 8 positioned him for the story on Fear. It was also important too see Fear’s world and characters through new yet familiar eyes.”

So, I like how apparently Eugene's genius plan to kill all the walkers surrounding the Saviors was simply shooting them all.  Yeah...

Midseason finale up next week.  According to TSDF, who are almost always right, there's a major spoiler:

Spoiler

Carl dies

That should hopefully kickstart the second half of the season.  Definitely languishing right now.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:18 AM, dmc515 said:

So, I like how apparently Eugene's genius plan to kill all the walkers surrounding the Saviors was simply shooting them all.  Yeah...

Midseason finale up next week.  According to TSDF, who are almost always right, there's a major spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Carl dies

That should hopefully kickstart the second half of the season.  Definitely languishing right now.

I was honestly confused by what his device was meant to do... make them all explode?

I felt at least stuff happened (which was interesting to me) in that episode. Finally.

Nothing about this season makes sense.  Even for Walking Dead with such a low bar for making sense, it's still baffling. 

Like Negan standing in front of a firing squad and not dying.

Like Rick walking into the Dump Folks lair and somehow convincing them of switching sides by hold Dump Leader's face kinda close to a zombie.

Like not a single person in the Saviors doing anything to get the zombie hoard away from their building.

Like Eugene wasting all those bullets when it would have drawn more zombies to them and used up a good that is needed.

Like Michonne and Rosita just walking away from a stupid plan.

Like....I mean, this is just a really bad show.  

On 12/3/2017 at 11:18 PM, dmc515 said:

No...  It was to lure them away with sound from speakers mounted on the drone.

Archived