The Walking Dead: Because Season Ate Nine (Comic Spoiler Thread)

A True Kaniggit

On 4/18/2018 at 0:53 PM, dbunting said:

I think we all had the same basic reaction to that horrible scene where Maggie has her end of the Godfather Micheal Corleone speech. This one scene ruined the whole season for me. Darryl has spent all season wanting to do nothing but kill Dwight. In the end he does the whole redemption thing and lets him go. Then the next time we see him he comes out of the dark to take sides against Rick? Jesus spends whole season trying to preach peace and forgiveness, then again, in one stupid added on bonus footage scene ruins it? If this is what next season is going to be I may have a hard time watching. Hell explore the damn helicopter or scaveging, farming and wind mills and trading but not this.

I'll admit, that scene with Maggie Corrleone Rhee was so bad I blocked it from my memory. Yeah, very poorly handled baiting there.

I don't like how they handled Daryl overall this season. It's like once he escaped the Saviors last season the writers didn't know what to do with him. I guess now that Dwight is gone they'll give Daryl comic-book Dwight's storyline form the comics. Maybe he'll take over The Sanctuary.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:24 PM, dmc515 said:

The horde, along with the series of poles in an open field, definitely presages the Whisperers from the comics (even if they won't admit it).  Still, based on the pace of the show, I'd bet that will take at least the first half of the season to set up - so instead the first half will be filled with this Maggie v Rick mishegoss.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I wonder if they'll do the time jump like in the comic? My guess is they will, but it'll be the S9 mid-season premiere. I think we'll see the communities get set up post-AOW, Negan placed in his cell, and the aforementioned mishegoss in the front end of S9. 

Is negan to be like those theatre muppets who crack jokes from the balcony?      His shoulder movements were already sort of animatronic.

The way they handled it was dumb when maggie & jesus & inid revealed they don't like Rick anymore.    But if it's over the way he murdered the escapees, i can see that changing their minds about him.

I think they ran out of good stuff to do right about the time they went with "we're just getting started!" as a tagline.

2 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

So I heard Carl Grimes got chomped because the actress who plays Maggie wanted more money and the shows budget didn't have it (all that Zombie makeup doesn't come cheap) so the kid had to go to give her a pay bump. Personally I'd of let maggie go.

Eh, she's the better actor and the kid's growth rate had already made things awkward. Still sucks for the actor though I read somewhere he'd just bought a house to be near filming. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 10:52 PM, The Mother of The Others said:

Is negan to be like those theatre muppets who crack jokes from the balcony?      His shoulder movements were already sort of animatronic.

The way they handled it was dumb when maggie & jesus & inid revealed they don't like Rick anymore.    But if it's over the way he murdered the escapees, i can see that changing their minds about him.

I think they ran out of good stuff to do right about the time they went with "we're just getting started!" as a tagline.

Does Jesus know he killed the escapees? But I hate him now because of his hypocrisy. He was ready to fight Morgan to keep prisoners alive and now he wants to kill Rick?

Maggie and probably Enid are pissed he didn't kill Neagen. I hope they drop that quick.  

I think they killed off the wrong Grimes. Should have killed off Rick. Should have had a true battle and not that shit show every bullet sabotage crap.

For example "our" group wins the battle but there are tangible losses on both sides. Rick and a few others die, true members not red shirts. Then let Carl be the one to face off against Negan and decide to keep him alive after Negan killed Rick. That would show he believes what he says. Hell I would have loved it if they had the balls to let the Saviors win, kill Rick and have Negan save Carl. Would truly be ground breaking.

I know it would never happen and the actor who played Carl couldn't carry a show but at some point in a world with this much death Rick and basically almost every long term character should die.

How do you have a season called All Out War and yet no one important died in the war? Carls' death had nothing to do with the war. None of the leaders of the groups died, Negan, Maggie, Rick, Ezekial...hell even the trash lady leader lived.

The biggest deaths(unless I am missing someone) were Carl, not related to war. Simon, probably 2nd biggest character who died this season, killed by Negan not in war.

Gavin and Jared, higher up Saviors but not main people, killed in war. Tobin, a little bigger side character, killed in war. Eric, Aarons significant other died in war, known only for being Aarons bf. That's really it. There were a bunch of good guys and Saviors who were in scenes at the compounds and communities but no one else that we really knew anything about.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

TWD is Rick Grimes story, continuing without him is ridiculous. I’ll just stick with the comic. 

Yup.  That's why it was weird when Kirkman said Grimes will die in the comics as well.

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

Yup.  That's why it was weird when Kirkman said Grimes will die in the comics as well.

In the comics? What’s the source of that? If true at least Carl will eventually takeover for Rick. The show doesn’t even have that option anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

In the comics? What’s the source of that? If true at least Carl will eventually takeover for Rick.

Right, I'm assuming Carl will take over.  Hell, one could argue Carl is the main character in the comics.  Anyway, source:

"I don't expect that," Kirkman said. "That's not an intention there. I've said from the very beginning that no one is safe. I do strongly feel like the show could survive without a Rick Grimes. There's certainly a lot of story to tell without that central character. I've talked a lot about how Rick Grimes will definitely die in the comic book series at some point before the series' conclusion, just because I want to make sure everyone knows that no one is safe. But I don't think you should read too much into that."

50 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

So not only Maggie but now even Rick Grimes are both going to be "phased out" next season.  I know AMC loves its cash cow, but how many seasons can they limp along after the majority of the main characters are dead?  

They could always combine it with Fear the Walking Dead, and just have one show going forward. But I don't care anymore, with the Negan arc finally done, I'm moving on.

If this is all true then WTF didn't they do my dream scenario?!?!?!? I wanted Rick and company to lose and for Negan to take over the show with Carl his protege'. That would have been a fresh take on whats become a stale series. I mean Maggie and Rick have to die at some point in this world and if the actors salary demands are getting too high it's easy to get rid of them "in story"...

Would we tune in to a WD led by Negan, with the Saviors in charge, who knows, but I would have liked to see it versus Daryl being the main lead. 

6 minutes ago, dbunting said:

If this is all true then WTF didn't they do my dream scenario?!?!?!? I wanted Rick and company to lose and for Negan to take over the show with Carl his protege'. That would have been a fresh take on whats become a stale series. I mean Maggie and Rick have to die at some point in this world and if the actors salary demands are getting too high it's easy to get rid of them "in story"...

Would we tune in to a WD led by Negan, with the Saviors in charge, who knows, but I would have liked to see it versus Daryl being the main lead. 

I'd have probably kept watching just for the sheer audacity of that move.

The problem with the announcement is that we all know that Rick will die because that's what happens to everyone he leaves the show. I guess it's hard to justify why someone would leave a safe community when the outside is hell on earth but it does mean they are stuck when it comes to options.

And while the show isn't just about Rick and Carl they seemed to be the focus/heart of the show. With both of them gone it leaves the sense there really isn't much hope in the bleak world they've created.

Hopefully post-Rick the show will have a soft reboot. That could get them out of their current slump and maybe draw some new viewers in. If it wasn't for there already having being a string of good actors (and AMC being super stingy) I'd definitely throw in a stunt casting as a new lead. Forget about promoting Daryl or Maggie (who I'm convinced will be killed off as soon as her new show proves to be a hit) - that would just give more of the same stories. They need someone really mixing things up who does things different and maybe even better.

Archived